Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,058 members, 7,814,639 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 04:46 PM

ASUU Strike- Union Vows Not To Back Down Until Demands Are Met - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / ASUU Strike- Union Vows Not To Back Down Until Demands Are Met (12513 Views)

ASUP Strike : "No Going Back On Indefinite Strike" - Union / ASUU Strike: No Work No Pay Policy Will Prolong Strike – Union / Kogi: We Are Ready To Suspend Strike As Soon As Demands Are Met – Lecturers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

ASUU Strike- Union Vows Not To Back Down Until Demands Are Met by vicraven(m): 12:35am On Nov 18, 2016
Chairman of the University Of Calabar Academic Staff Union Of Universities (ASUU), Tony Eyang, has said the union will not back down until its demands are met.

ASUU commenced a two-week warning strike on Wednesday, November 16, in protest of the Federal Government's refusal to implement the 2009 Memorandum of Understanding with the Union among other issues.

Speaking to Vanguard on Thursday, Eyang expressed regrets that the Union had to resort to the industrial action.
"We are avowed to our responsibility to the future of this country; it is regrettable that over and over again we get to this point but what we have resolved to do is that government does the needful and we will not surrender even if it means our embarking on a total and indefinite strike for years."
According to him, the union has made several efforts to meet with President Muhammadu Buhari , Minister of Education and the National Assembly to present to them a firsthand view of what is going on in the education sector but their efforts have been unsuccessful.

He said: "When the present government came into office, ASUU exercised a lot of patience, a lot of understating as a form a support to the government and we indicated intention to have an audience with the President who is the visitor to all the federal universities, the Minister of Education and the National Assembly so as to make government see the need to address these pending issues but that has not been granted up till now."
Eyang added that the government never showed any commitment to address any of the issues being agitated by the union including those that do not involve money like the low subvention to the universities and the Treasury Single Account, which are stifling the universities and have turned the lecturers to beggars as salaries are not paid in full for several months.
"There is a new form of slavery where university teachers are not given what they are entitled to which implies that the federal government has unilaterally reached a decision to reduce the entitlement of academic staff of universities which of course is against the labour law," Eyang said.

He said the subventions to the universities have fallen in the past ten months, which, according to him, has increasingly made the universities unable to pay the full entitlement of its workers.

More:www.newskingz.com/forums/topic/ASUU-strike-union-vows-not-to-back-down-until-demands-are-met/
Re: ASUU Strike- Union Vows Not To Back Down Until Demands Are Met by kmaxx(m): 12:59am On Nov 18, 2016
ASUU pleeeeeeeeeeaaaaassssssss.... Ah! Naija Govt. Settle with them oh.
Re: ASUU Strike- Union Vows Not To Back Down Until Demands Are Met by ayodotcom(m): 1:42am On Nov 18, 2016
Na wetin dem go dy happy do. ....

#SCRAPASUU

2 Likes

Re: ASUU Strike- Union Vows Not To Back Down Until Demands Are Met by golor(m): 2:11am On Nov 18, 2016
What could really be the problem ! Are the demands extreme? Why promise what you can't fulfill ? Why not fulfill this demand with an agreement of ASUU not demand with a stipulated years? Why can't the government for once make us proud ? Why can't they shift the blame to ASUU by fulfilling this demand, so when they embark on strike in a short run ,we stand by the government . Personally what ASUU wants now is toake sure the government put their needs in the 2017 budget with the assurance of fulfilling it and I see nothing difficult in doing that, worst come to worst use the recovered looted money to settle this men , the promise is long and they have the right to strike if the government show no remorse of fulfilment.

Am loosing faith in this government I swear down, just do this thing ones and for all.

13 Likes

Re: ASUU Strike- Union Vows Not To Back Down Until Demands Are Met by Nobody: 7:06am On Nov 18, 2016
Continue....

Yeye child

All ur children are schooling abroad or in private universities... God is watching
Re: ASUU Strike- Union Vows Not To Back Down Until Demands Are Met by Sinciddy: 7:07am On Nov 18, 2016
Wait I thought it was a week's strike

15 Likes

Re: ASUU Strike- Union Vows Not To Back Down Until Demands Are Met by sakalisis(m): 7:08am On Nov 18, 2016
Hmmm
Re: ASUU Strike- Union Vows Not To Back Down Until Demands Are Met by yomibelle(f): 7:08am On Nov 18, 2016
Re: ASUU Strike- Union Vows Not To Back Down Until Demands Are Met by Benjom(m): 7:08am On Nov 18, 2016
Kindly remind them this is Buhari's regime o.
Re: ASUU Strike- Union Vows Not To Back Down Until Demands Are Met by ednut1(m): 7:08am On Nov 18, 2016
ASUU shud be banned because they are only fighting for their pockets. be like unilorin and ban dis mofos abeg

1 Like

Re: ASUU Strike- Union Vows Not To Back Down Until Demands Are Met by Godswillnwaoma(m): 7:08am On Nov 18, 2016
I wish and pray unizik will diasocciate herself from this ASUU STRIKE, because i just paid my house rent.

7 Likes

Re: ASUU Strike- Union Vows Not To Back Down Until Demands Are Met by Unsad(m): 7:08am On Nov 18, 2016
A times I wonder how I found myself in this country. Being a Nigerian is a work.

7 Likes

Re: ASUU Strike- Union Vows Not To Back Down Until Demands Are Met by Nobody: 7:09am On Nov 18, 2016
Sinciddy:
Wait I thought it was a week's strike
I thought so too....

4 Likes

Re: ASUU Strike- Union Vows Not To Back Down Until Demands Are Met by wildchild1: 7:09am On Nov 18, 2016
Let them continue grin

Check my signature
Re: ASUU Strike- Union Vows Not To Back Down Until Demands Are Met by MVLOX(m): 7:09am On Nov 18, 2016
Who ASUU help b4...
Re: ASUU Strike- Union Vows Not To Back Down Until Demands Are Met by Naijalabel(m): 7:09am On Nov 18, 2016
ASUU ...Striking....
Hunger..Striking...
Buhari...Traveling....

Please for d sake of Nigerian Students Call off the Strike...

1 Like

Re: ASUU Strike- Union Vows Not To Back Down Until Demands Are Met by ishowdotgmail(m): 7:09am On Nov 18, 2016
Good.... let ASUU have a fight to finish

Federal govt is crazy.... yes I mean really crazy... they've exercised enough patience for them. Why don't they just answer these people once and for all and settle this all issue. What we see is them going for expensive trips, buying sophisticated cars, lots of properties pretending no money in the country.

Just that the time this current strike is happening doesn't pay me (cos I ought to commence my final exams next week embarassed)

But then: I STAND WITH ASUU

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: ASUU Strike- Union Vows Not To Back Down Until Demands Are Met by Olusharp(m): 7:10am On Nov 18, 2016
ASUU strike is coming at the wrong time because this is the moment Nigerians especially academics are suppose to put their hands over their face in shame, Nigeria is in recession and there is no brain whatsoever to give the right advice.
A prof in mechanical engineering that can't service his own car.
A prof in electrical engineering that can't fix his wire issue and the likes.
that's what we have in Nigeria. all theory..then i ask what is the need for university education?
Nigeria Education especially tertiary education sector is a big shame and no group be it ASUU,SANUU,ASUP or whatever should come out to protest for anything.. ..really angry this morning.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: ASUU Strike- Union Vows Not To Back Down Until Demands Are Met by Hackportal(m): 7:10am On Nov 18, 2016
Who School EEp Bitcoin Forever
Re: ASUU Strike- Union Vows Not To Back Down Until Demands Are Met by Vince77(m): 7:11am On Nov 18, 2016
Na the students dey suffer

1 Like

Re: ASUU Strike- Union Vows Not To Back Down Until Demands Are Met by bjboss(m): 7:11am On Nov 18, 2016
FUTA is facing internal issue and now ASUU is planning their own.... #all_this_pain_we_are_sharing_together...there is God oooo

1 Like

Re: ASUU Strike- Union Vows Not To Back Down Until Demands Are Met by Vince77(m): 7:11am On Nov 18, 2016
Unsad:
A times I wonder how I found myself in this country. Being a Nigerian is a work.

Very stressful full time work
Re: ASUU Strike- Union Vows Not To Back Down Until Demands Are Met by psalmjohn(m): 7:12am On Nov 18, 2016
*I was made to understand its a week warning strike, how did you come about two weeks @mr poster *

1 Like

Re: ASUU Strike- Union Vows Not To Back Down Until Demands Are Met by LieDetector(m): 7:13am On Nov 18, 2016
I
Re: ASUU Strike- Union Vows Not To Back Down Until Demands Are Met by treebuds: 7:14am On Nov 18, 2016
golor:
What could really be the problem ! Are the demands extreme? Why promise what you can't fulfill ? Why not fulfill this demand with an agreement of ASUU not demand with a stipulated years? Why can't the government for once make us proud ? Why can't they shift the blame to ASUU by fulfilling this demand, so when they embark on strike in a short run ,we stand by the government . Personally what ASUU wants now is toake sure the government put their needs in the 2017 budget with the assurance of fulfilling it and I see nothing difficult in doing that, worst come to worst use the recovered looted money to settle this men , the promise is long and they have the right to strike if the government show no remorse of fulfilment.

Am loosing faith in this government I swear down, just do this thing ones and for all.
Nigeria is always like this, our system is so corrupt and nobody cares. The university body and the federal government always want to mess the poor Nigerians up. All these people knows how hard it has been for parents to train their children in Nigerian schools. While the rich people send their children overseas for studies, the poor ones who managed to pay the school fees here go through sorting, buying of handout, cultism, strikes and at the end no job.
Re: ASUU Strike- Union Vows Not To Back Down Until Demands Are Met by eitsei(m): 7:15am On Nov 18, 2016
bjboss:
FUTA is facing internal issue and now ASUU is planning their own.... #all_this_pain_we_are_sharing_together...there is God oooo
bro, house don tire me I swear make futa sef resolve and let us know when we go resume
Re: ASUU Strike- Union Vows Not To Back Down Until Demands Are Met by Xflint(m): 7:16am On Nov 18, 2016
what a messed up system
Re: ASUU Strike- Union Vows Not To Back Down Until Demands Are Met by duduade: 7:16am On Nov 18, 2016
When did it become two weeks.... ?? Bloggers and false information... Same as dy..dx
Re: ASUU Strike- Union Vows Not To Back Down Until Demands Are Met by moyakz(m): 7:17am On Nov 18, 2016
golor:

you are just losing faith in this govt whilst other nigerians have lost faith since nd moved on??you're joking right?
Re: ASUU Strike- Union Vows Not To Back Down Until Demands Are Met by registration(m): 7:17am On Nov 18, 2016
This is serious
Re: ASUU Strike- Union Vows Not To Back Down Until Demands Are Met by Hardeydamola(m): 7:17am On Nov 18, 2016
Who dem EPP.....
My school Lautech don dey on 5months strike before this one, nothing changes Aregbesola and Ajimobi are cowards

3 Likes

Re: ASUU Strike- Union Vows Not To Back Down Until Demands Are Met by ceeethru(m): 7:18am On Nov 18, 2016
FG should give them bail out and let students face their studies squarely, time flies like any thing.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Photos: Physically Challenged Nigerian Man Graduates From Cyprus University / OAU AWARDS: A Nairalander (fynestboi) Needs Your Votes / ASUU Indefinite Strike: Any Hope For The Undergraduates?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.