Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,616 members, 7,816,535 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:47 PM

Federalism: What States Will Host Regional Capitals? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Federalism: What States Will Host Regional Capitals? (3145 Views)

10 Most Developed State Capitals In Nigeria-opinion / True Federalism, Its Advantages And Implications. / Fiscal Federalism: What It Really Means And Can It Work In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Federalism: What States Will Host Regional Capitals? by Nobody: 11:02am On Nov 19, 2016
In the face of heated arguments in support of Federalism, one can look into the future and imagine the fight that will ensue when Regions begin to search for regional capitals.

SS will have it hot as there are over ten ethnic groups in that region.

Akpabio will wish to take the cake, PH Ijaw hot-headed boys will take arms if not given capital. Delta go wan aknowledge their presence. What of Calabar the jewel?

We are only certain of capitals for SE, SW.

The newly created North Central will have what capital. Jos? I hope Saraki won't drag it to his delapidated Ilorin?grin what of regional capitals for North East and North west.

Federalism will cause the real war.grin this time there will be more fight over Regional leadership than Central Govt leadership. Ask Awo and Akintola.
Re: Federalism: What States Will Host Regional Capitals? by Princesaha: 11:05am On Nov 19, 2016
Enugu gonna be the capital for South-East. Lagos will go for the South-West. Port-harcourt or Calabar for South-south. Jos for North-central. Kano or Kaduna for Northwest while Yola goes for the North-East. Just saying my mind sha. Anyway i dedicate this my "Firstus la commentus" to my Landland's second wife for always pipping through the bathroom window any time i wanna take my bath. The day she go get wetin she dey find eh....... Complete that sentence and win urself a trip to Dubai through Witchcraft.

6 Likes

Re: Federalism: What States Will Host Regional Capitals? by Nobody: 11:08am On Nov 19, 2016
Princesaha:
kini
meaningless posts are unwelcomed.

1 Like

Re: Federalism: What States Will Host Regional Capitals? by talktonase(m): 11:10am On Nov 19, 2016
Federalism will be the best thing that will happen to this country...

1 Like

Re: Federalism: What States Will Host Regional Capitals? by ever811(m): 11:10am On Nov 19, 2016
it will still be better than the poo we have now...

1 Like

Re: Federalism: What States Will Host Regional Capitals? by Blue3k(m): 11:11am On Nov 19, 2016
We don't need regional government. We have states and most of us are satisfied being sovereign states. What we want is fiscal federalism. We decentralize power of federal government in our lives, end allocation system and do fiscal federalism. States compete and pay taxes to federal government. Government will continue to give grants loans and subsidizes.

Let's take Akwa Ibom for example we broke off from Cross River in 1987. We became a successful state and contributed greatly to nation in short history. This is just one example of a state created out of another state.

Regions are dead let states compete for citezens and give citezens same rights and immuity state to state. People voted with feet. Lagos became populated because the are best economicly.

Edit.
If anyone wants to form super state cool. You will gain more resouces and seats in house of reps. You will lose senate seats as result as well.

5 Likes

Re: Federalism: What States Will Host Regional Capitals? by FFKfuckedBIANCA: 11:24am On Nov 19, 2016
Stop making blanket statements. Who are the ''WE'' that you are refering to? Speak for your Akwa Ibom/Cross Rivers alone. As a Yoruba I want Confederationism in the interim with the long term goal of the complete Balkanisation of this country. The independent Nations therefrom can reach a detente with friendly neighbours as they so wish.
Blue3k:
We don't need regional government. We have states and most of us are satisfied being sovereign states. What we want is fiscal federalism. We pay decentralize power of federal government in our lives, end allocation system and do fiscal federalism. States compete and pay taxes to federal government. Government will continue to give grants loans and subsidizes.

Let's take Akwa Ibom for example we broke off from Cross River in 1987. We became a successful state and contributed greatly to nation in short history. This is just one example of a state created out of another state.

Regions are dead let states compete for citezens and give citezens same rights and immuity state to state. People voted with feet. Lagos became populated because the are best economicly.

7 Likes

Re: Federalism: What States Will Host Regional Capitals? by Nobody: 11:28am On Nov 19, 2016
talktonase:
Federalism will be the best thing that will happen to this country...

Agreed. Join us in pro-Federalism campaigns anywhere you find us.

1 Like

Re: Federalism: What States Will Host Regional Capitals? by Nobody: 11:29am On Nov 19, 2016
ever811:
it will still be better than the poo we have now...

No President in a Unitary government of Nigeria will be able to steer this country to greatness. GEJ with PhD failed. Buhari with anti-corruption failed. Why don't we return to the system that worked in the 1960s-federalism?

2 Likes

Re: Federalism: What States Will Host Regional Capitals? by Nobody: 11:34am On Nov 19, 2016
Blue3k:
We don't need regional government. We have states and most of us are satisfied being sovereign states. What we want is fiscal federalism. We pay decentralize power of federal government in our lives, end allocation system and do fiscal federalism. States compete and pay taxes to federal government. Government will continue to give grants loans and subsidizes.

You didn't make any sense. You are given very little money after all the Billions of Naira worth of Oil sold from your state every day. Yet you are given meagre billions every month. Spot the difference. In a federalism you still keep your Oil. Shebi you don't want Igbos lording you in Eastern region?

3 Likes

Re: Federalism: What States Will Host Regional Capitals? by Princesaha: 11:35am On Nov 19, 2016
Funnicator:

meaningless posts are unwelcomed.
Sorry dude, i don modify am. I just use am secure my special Ftc plot of land. Abi na Origin or Gulder u de take cos i wan make u feel alright.
Re: Federalism: What States Will Host Regional Capitals? by Blue3k(m): 11:36am On Nov 19, 2016
FFKfuckedBIANCA:
Stop making blanket statements. Who are the ''WE'' that you are refering to? Speak for your Akwa Ibom/Cross Rivers alone. As a Yoruba I want Confederationism in the interim with the long term goal of the complete Balkanisation of this country. Each Regions can reach a detente with friendly neighbouring regions as they so wish.

I was talking we as in Akwa Ibom. Thats why I mentioned there are more examples of states that split up. Nobody wants wants region if they did there would be 36 states today. They wouldn't have fractured.

If you wish for a reunionificatation with other states more power to you. Saying you want whole coutry to follow suit is weird. We already have the states aka region. If you want superstate nice. You form that reduce your number in Senate and increase your number in house.

Like I said regions are dead states exist. It wont be called region probably just states.

Funnicator:

You didn't make any sense. You are given very little money after all the Billions of Naira worth of Oil sold from your state every day. Yet you are given meagre billions every month. Spot the difference. In a federalism you still keep your Oil. Shebi you don't want Igbos lording you in Eastern region?

Your comprehension skills need work guy. I said fiscal federalism is needed so we can keep more of our profits from our various industry. I already said we would simply pay takes and get rid of allocation system. That's why I mentioned decentralize power of federal government, and their new role in country.

I also said we're cool being a state to our selves. We don't wish to rejoin Cross River. I'm not sure what you read to come to any of your conclusions.
Re: Federalism: What States Will Host Regional Capitals? by Nobody: 11:36am On Nov 19, 2016
FFKfuckedBIANCA:
Stop making blanket statements. Who are the ''WE'' that you are refering to? Speak for your Akwa Ibom/Cross Rivers alone. As a Yoruba I want Confederationism in the interim with the long term goal of the complete Balkanisation of this country. The independent Nations therefrom can reach a detente with friendly neighbours as they so wish.
Agreed. Federalism/confederationalism is a mile step towards independence. IPOB should take it one step at a time and join the Federalism/confederationalism crusade. When they do this they'll have support of SW and SS, it gets achieved, in time, independence will come.

1 Like

Re: Federalism: What States Will Host Regional Capitals? by Nobody: 11:37am On Nov 19, 2016
Princesaha:
Sorry dude, i don modify am. I just use am secure my special Ftc plot of land. Abi na Origin or Gulder u de take cos i wan make u feel alright.
grin I do 3bottles of origin. I no be JJC.
Re: Federalism: What States Will Host Regional Capitals? by FFKfuckedBIANCA: 11:37am On Nov 19, 2016
Capital or Currency, Official Language or Official Religion, all these would be the prerogative of the emerging Nations to decide by themselves. As a Yoruba, all I want and hope for is the speedy but peaceful dismemebering of this behemoth country

6 Likes

Re: Federalism: What States Will Host Regional Capitals? by BrownRoofRep: 11:42am On Nov 19, 2016
Blue3k:

Your example of Akwa-Ibom/Cross River is totally wrong, the fit was achieved by Akwa-Ibom State because they got almost all the crude oil. How much will Akwa-Ibom achieve without the huge crude oil allocation?

4 Likes

Re: Federalism: What States Will Host Regional Capitals? by Nobody: 11:48am On Nov 19, 2016
Blue3k:

I was talking we as in Akwa Ibom. Thats why I mentioned there are more examples of states that split up. Nobody wants wants region if they did there would be 36 states today. They wouldn't have fractured.

If you wish for a reunionificatation with other states more power to you. Saying you want whole coutry to follow suit is weird. We already have the states aka region. If you want superstate nice. You form that reduce your number in Senate and increase your number in house.

Like I said regions are dead states exist. It wont be called region probably just states.

Your comprehension skills need work Aboki. I said fiscal federalism is needed so we can keep more of our profits from our various industry. I already said we would simply pay takes and get rid of allocation system. That's why I mentioned decentralize power of federal government, and their new role in country.

I also said we're cool being a state to our selves. We don't wish to rejoin Cross River. I'm not sure what you read to come to any of your conclusions.
You think the rest of Akwa Ibomites want it that way? Those from Oron, Ibeno and co cry of marginalization and independent state. Maybe going by your victim mentality the FG should also give them their own state if they are able to be economically viable.

2 Likes

Re: Federalism: What States Will Host Regional Capitals? by FFKfuckedBIANCA: 11:49am On Nov 19, 2016
Funnicator:

Agreed. Federalism/confederationalism is a mile step towards independence. IPOB should take it one step at a time and join the Federalism/confederationalism crusade. When they do this they'll have support of SW and SS, it gets achieved, in time, independence will come.
I also agree with you, but unfortunately the present structure of Nigeria cannot be collapsed without the needed political punch, sadly, none of the politician/parties we have in Nigeria today are ready to let go of the status quo.

Forget about the APC vs PDP dichotomy. All our politicians across the divide are just after their own personal and financial aggrandisement. I seriously hope we will have our own Gorbarchev very very very soon that will help us dissolute Nigeria

2 Likes

Re: Federalism: What States Will Host Regional Capitals? by Blue3k(m): 11:49am On Nov 19, 2016
BrownRoofRep:

Your example of Akwa-Ibom/Cross River is totally wrong, the fit was achieved by Akwa-Ibom State because they got almost all the crude oil. How much will Akwa-Ibom achieve without the huge crude oil allocation?

So what if we did get all crude oil. Akwa Ibom still has higher IGR aswell. The crude resources would still be used in benefit to Akwa Ibom anyway. If we practiced fiscal federalism. The money generated in state stays in state which includes resources like crudes.

Just like texas akwa ibom has oil in part to thank for wealth. Your questions about what would akwa ibom achieve without oil is pointless. It's like asking what would lagos Achieve without its port.
Re: Federalism: What States Will Host Regional Capitals? by Nobody: 11:50am On Nov 19, 2016
BrownRoofRep:

He is contended with their huge oil wealth, that's why he doesn't want to be merged with cross river and other south-south states to form their Regional govt. He wants states to remain independent and granted fiscal autonomy. Right to every wealth with little tax to Abuja.

1 Like

Re: Federalism: What States Will Host Regional Capitals? by Nobody: 11:52am On Nov 19, 2016
Blue3k:

So what if we did get all crude oil. Akwa Ibom still has higher IGR aswell. The crude resources would still be used in benefit to Akwa Ibom anyway. If we practiced fiscal federalism. The money generated in state stays in state which includes resources like crudes.

Just like texas akwa ibom has oil in part to thank for wealth. Your questions about what would akwa ibom achieve without oil is pointless. It's like asking what would lagos Achieve without its port.
I get your point. But be assured when the SE, SW and North who are used to Regional Govt as it was practised in the 1960s decide to go for Regionalism. Your minority SS will have no choice/say but to queue along and learn how to practise Regionalism.

1 Like

Re: Federalism: What States Will Host Regional Capitals? by EmeeNaka: 11:57am On Nov 19, 2016
There should be general criteria for the selection of Capitals. So,whichever City that meets the criteria will take it.

1 Like

Re: Federalism: What States Will Host Regional Capitals? by Nobody: 11:58am On Nov 19, 2016
FFKfuckedBIANCA:
I also agree with you, but unfortunately the present structure of Nigeria cannot collapsed without the needed political punch, sadly, none of the politician/parties we have in Nigeria today are ready to let go of the status quo.

Forget about the APC vs PDP dichotomy. All our politicians across the divide are just after their own personal and financial aggrandisement. I seriously hope we will have our own Gorbarchev very very very soon that will help us dissolute Nigeria
LOL funny. And Putin is on another ridiculous mission to enlarge Russia as it was in USSR, he has already annexed Crimea and is intent on annexing more after they lost out their huge landmass.

I don't see any Nigerian President on an intentional suicide mission as Gorbachev. If any dissolution should happen, it will be through prolonged recession, hardship, strife, economic tension, poverty and hunger, religious intolerance, when it gets to the peak they centre will be unable to hold, it will make the regions unsatisfied with Abuja and wanting to pull out to save their ethnic people.

But that kind brave moves can only be achieved when there are passionate regional leaders in each region like Awolowo and Ojukwu. For now we have none across the regions.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Federalism: What States Will Host Regional Capitals? by Nobody: 12:01pm On Nov 19, 2016
EmeeNaka:
There should be general criteria for the selection of Capitals. So,whichever City that meets the criteria will take it.

I think it should dwell more on Infrastructure, history with foreigners and literary rate. In SS, PH takes it. Even tho' Uyo and Calabar are reckoning. But Calabar would be more ideal than PH as it has more history/diplomacy and peace/lack of election rife.
Re: Federalism: What States Will Host Regional Capitals? by FFKfuckedBIANCA: 12:01pm On Nov 19, 2016
Deep !
Funnicator:

LOL funny. And Putin is on another ridiculous mission to enlarge Russia as it was in USSR, he has already annexed Crimea and is intent on annexing more after they lost out their huge landmass.

I don't see any Nigerian President on an intentional suicide mission as Gorbachev. If any dissolution should happen, it will be through prolonged recession, hardship, strife, economic tension, poverty and hunger, religious intolerance, when it gets to the peak they centre will be unable to hold, it will make the regions unsatisfied with Abuja and wanting to pull out to save their ethnic people.

But that kind brave moves can only be achieved when there are passionate regional leaders in each region like Awolowo and Ojukwu. For now we have none across the regions.
Re: Federalism: What States Will Host Regional Capitals? by Blue3k(m): 12:02pm On Nov 19, 2016
Funnicator:

You think the rest of Akwa Ibomites want it that way? Those from Oron, Ibeno and co cry of marginalization and independent state. Maybe going by your victim mentality the FG should also give them their own state if they are able to be economically viable.

Lol who's being a victim. You guys love fighting straw men and making ad hominem because you lack mental capacity to take down arguements. Lol you kids make me wonder what goes on in Nigerian schools.

I also on record on this forum reducing govenor powers and letting state assembly do more work. If you talking marginalization within state of akwa ibom. If the want to split that's up to federal government and then to. We are happy with our state. I don't get why you guys are crying over it.

I believe in right to self determination and if federal government agrees I'm cool with them states breaking or reunification. If the citezens in Akwa Ibom aren't happy they will petition federal government and state government. They seem fine I talked with people from akwa ibom. People are cool with our little state Unless you took poll I don't know about.

Even in USA Texas has right to break into 4 states if it pleases. We don't want to. We'd rather be 1 big state.
Re: Federalism: What States Will Host Regional Capitals? by Nobody: 12:07pm On Nov 19, 2016
Blue3k:

Lol whose being victim. You guys love fighting straw men and making ad hominem because you lack mebtal capacity to take down arguements.

I also on record on this forum reducing govenor powers and letting state assembly do more work. If you talking marginalization within state of akwa ibom. If the want to split that's up to federal government and then to. We are happy with our state. I don't get why you guys are crying over it. I believe in right to self determination and if federal government agrees I'm cool with them states breaking or reunification.

Even in USA Texas has right to breathe into 4 states if it pleases. We don't want to. We'd rather be 1 big state.

When the day of recknoning comes upon us, if majority prefer regionalism/federalism, the minority will join the bandwagon cause only them can't practise a mix of state system and fiscal federalism. You can't be different in a land of ostrich's.
Re: Federalism: What States Will Host Regional Capitals? by Blue3k(m): 12:14pm On Nov 19, 2016
Funnicator:

When the day of recknoning comes upon us, if majority prefer regionalism/federalism, the minority will join the bandwagon cause only them can't practise a mix of state system and fiscal federalism. You can't be different in a land of ostrich's.

Yes you can practice both state system and federalism. It's called the USA. You should look it up. States keep resources to control and pay taxes to federal government. The state runs day to day. The NASS debates laws on national level. Stop clowning guy their are more examples than USA that operate this way. Like I said states exist already. If you want to form super state and reunionify cool. The rest don't need to follow. You'll benefit from pooled resources and higher number of reps in house. You will cut back on Senate seats in NASS.

Funnicator:

I get your point. But be assured when the SE, SW and North who are used to Regional Govt as it was practised in the 1960s decide to go for Regionalism. Your minority SS will have no choice/say but to queue along and learn how to practise Regionalism.

I doubt it. If you guys loved it so much why did your states break up? Was it be force nope. The people did it threw self determination. I doubt regionalism is that popular or their would have been more calls to unify instead of split up in past 3 decades. The SW and North were some of first to start splitting aswell.

Your arguements are bad dude. You can look at map and see were the trend started. 12 states turned into 36 by the will of people. Please reform your super state because regions are dead.

Source:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/States_of_Nigeria#

Re: Federalism: What States Will Host Regional Capitals? by Noneroone(m): 12:17pm On Nov 19, 2016
Funnicator:
In the face of heated arguments in support of Federalism, one can look into the future and imagine the fight that will ensue when Regions begin to search for regional capitals.

SS will have it hot as there are over ten ethnic groups in that region.

Akpabio will wish to take the cake, PH Ijaw hot-headed boys will take arms if not given capital. Delta go wan aknowledge their presence. What of Calabar the jewel?

We are only certain of capitals for SE, SW.

The newly created North Central will have what capital. Jos? I hope Saraki won't drag it to his delapidated Ilorin?grin what of regional capitals for North East and North west.

Federalism will cause the real war.grin this time there will be more fight over Regional leadership than Central Govt leadership. Ask Awo and Akintola.
what has PH got to do with Ijaw? Who even told you most of Rivers state will be in SS in case of restructuring? Read and get informed

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2014/10/ekweremadus-proposal-break-nigeria/
Re: Federalism: What States Will Host Regional Capitals? by seunny4lif(m): 12:27pm On Nov 19, 2016
Princesaha:
Enugu gonna be the capital for South-East. Lagos will go for the South-West. Port-harcourt or Calabar for South-south. Jos for North-central. Kano or Kaduna for Northwest while Yola goes for the North-East. Just saying my mind sha. Anyway i dedicate this my "Firstus la commentus" to my Landland's second wife for always pipping through the bathroom window any time i wanna take my bath. The day she go get wetin she dey find eh....... Complete that sentence and win urself a trip to Dubai through Witchcraft.
Bro Nooo
Lagos can't be the capital angry
It's either Ibadan or another new city but not Lagos
Lagos is already overload grin grin grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why We Permitted Kanu’s Rally In Port Harcourt ~police PRO / Rice Production In Nigeria Hits 15 Million Tonnes — Bursted / Thread For PMB Support groups gathering In Kano Tomorrow 8/12/2018

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.