Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,780 members, 7,831,514 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 08:02 PM

Rice Production In Nigeria Hits 15 Million Tonnes — Bursted - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Rice Production In Nigeria Hits 15 Million Tonnes — Bursted (3169 Views)

'Border Closure Exposes Nigeria's Deficiency In Local Rice Production' / Rice Production: Audu Ogbeh Lied - Thailand Ambassador / APC Membership Hits 15.2 Million, Vows To Win 2019 Elections (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Rice Production In Nigeria Hits 15 Million Tonnes — Bursted by yanshDoctor: 11:05pm On Jan 06, 2018
i want to expose the government lies and deceit. let do the simple arithmetic together.

1 Metric tonnes is equivalent to 1000kg

now let divide the 1000kg with 50kg, that's a bag of rice.

1000 ÷ 50 = 20.

we are talking about 20 bags of rice here as one metric tonnes.

the government claimed to have produce 15,000,000 metric tonnes for 2017.

15,000,000 × 20 = 300,000,000

that's about 300 million bags of rice.

Local rice production in Nigeria has now reached 15 million metric tonnes annually, the government has claimed.

It said the development means the country will now be saving about N300 billion it used to spend annually on importation of the commodity.

The Director of Agriculture at the Kano office of the Federal Ministry of Agricultural, Muhammad Adamu, made the claim on Tuesday while inaugurating the Rice Millers Association of Nigeria, (RIMAN) in the state.

He said in Kano alone, 1.2 million metric tonnes of rice was produced in 2016.

He said with the significant increase in local productions and the efforts to make the local variety qualitative and more attractive to Nigerians, the country expects to begin exporting rice to West African countries by 2018/2019.

Mr. Adamu said about 34 states in Nigeria are producing rice, with many now producing three times in a year.

He disclosed that investigation carried out by the Federal Government revealed that rice imported to Nigeria are 10-15 years old and and are preserved with chemicals which can cause cancer to consumers.

In his remarks, the Chairman of the Board of Directors of Rice Miller’s Association, Peter Dama, said, the association was established to promote local milling of rice that is fresh, healthy and nutritious.

He said the association is willing to collaborate with the Nigeria Customs Service to stem smuggling of expired rice into Nigeria.

Mr. Dama added that the association intended to work closely with regulatory agencies and policymakers to ensure standard in local rice milling.

The Customs officer in charge of rice enforcement, Ado Hassan, warned that Custom officers caught conniving with rice smugglers would have themselves to blame.

He said that in less than one year, the zonal command of the agency confiscated 800,000 bags of rice in Kano and Jigawa states.

He said about 9000 bags of the rice are still in the stores of the agency, adding that most of the rice were being given to internally displaced persons after been certified fit for consumption by the National Agency for Food and Drugs Administration and Control, NAFDAC.

https://www.google.com.ng/amp/s/www.premiumtimesng.com/agriculture/agric-news/240287-rice-production-nigeria-hits-15-million-tonnes-official.html/amp
Re: Rice Production In Nigeria Hits 15 Million Tonnes — Bursted by darfay: 11:07pm On Jan 06, 2018
Liar liar
Buhari's pants on fire

9 Likes

Re: Rice Production In Nigeria Hits 15 Million Tonnes — Bursted by nwoke37: 11:12pm On Jan 06, 2018
Meanwhile Buhari has just created a healthcare initiative called BuhariCare !!
Check it out below...
https://www.nairaland.com/4274276/buhari-creates-healthcare-system-called

1 Like

Re: Rice Production In Nigeria Hits 15 Million Tonnes — Bursted by hardywaltz(m): 11:13pm On Jan 06, 2018
yanshDoctor:
i want to expose the government lies and deceit. let do the simple arithmetic together.

1 Metric tons is equivalent to 900kg

now let divid the 900kg with 50kg, thats a bag of rice.

900 ÷ 50 = 18.

we are talking about 18 bags of rice here as one metri tons.

the government claimed to have produce 15,000,000 metric tons for 2017.

15,000,000 × 18 = 270,000,000

that's about 270 million bags of rice.

you have said nothing.
Everyday Supermarket in PH bought over 5,000 bags (50kg) and over 10,000 bags (25-5kg)rice and sold all within a few days
So whats the big deal.

Spar Port Harcourt once sold over 2000 bags of rice in a day on Blackfriday 2016.

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Rice Production In Nigeria Hits 15 Million Tonnes — Bursted by micfoley: 11:18pm On Jan 06, 2018
Make the price come down na
Re: Rice Production In Nigeria Hits 15 Million Tonnes — Bursted by kings09(m): 11:22pm On Jan 06, 2018
Zombies come n do ur work

2 Likes

Re: Rice Production In Nigeria Hits 15 Million Tonnes — Bursted by Baawaa(m): 11:24pm On Jan 06, 2018
Nigeria's rice hit so so figure,is what we are hearing,to buy it, is real problem the price and availability.

1 Like

Re: Rice Production In Nigeria Hits 15 Million Tonnes — Bursted by Nobody: 11:25pm On Jan 06, 2018
hardywaltz:

you have said nothing.
Everyday Supermarket in PH bought over 5,000 bags (50kg) and over 10,000 bags (25-5kg)rice and sold all within a few days
So whats the big deal.

Spar Port Harcourt once sold over 2000 bags of rice in a day on Blackfriday 2016.

He may have a point oh. And you know this government tells nice stories to look good.

By the way, demand for rice in 2016 was 5.2m tonnes (see link below) . If we are producing 15m tonnes according to this government official, why are we importing not exporting?

https://www.google.com.ng/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/amp/world-africa-38795673

16 Likes

Re: Rice Production In Nigeria Hits 15 Million Tonnes — Bursted by hardywaltz(m): 11:29pm On Jan 06, 2018
Campusity:

He may have a point oh. If we in Nigeria are like 180,000,000 then it means each person (including a baby
When Minister of Agriculture Audu Ogbeh complained about our excessive consumption of rice people hauled insults at him but I have since come to notice that we indeed eat rice excessively in this country.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rice Production In Nigeria Hits 15 Million Tonnes — Bursted by littlewonders: 11:56pm On Jan 06, 2018
hardywaltz:

When Minister of Agriculture Audu Ogbeh complained about our excessive consumption of rice people hauled insults at him but I have since come to notice that we indeed eat rice excessively in this country.

Whether we eat rice excessively isn't an excuse for the blatant lie this government has been spoon feeding us. Everyday they come up with a failed formula to work on us forgetting we've ungraded our brain effectively.

10 Likes

Re: Rice Production In Nigeria Hits 15 Million Tonnes — Bursted by omonnakoda: 12:02am On Jan 07, 2018
Campusity:

He may have a point oh. And you know this government tells nice stories to look good.

By the way, demand for rice in 2016 was 5.2m tonnes (see link below) . If we are producing 15m tonnes according to this government official, why are we importing not exporting?

https://www.google.com.ng/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/amp/world-africa-38795673
He has no point so telling us it is 300million bags proves what?
How many grains is it?.
You don't prove anything with a stupid common entrance calculation.
How many olodos is it?
I have no idea whether the government is lying. But that calculation is very stupid it is like calculating how many seconds are in a week.
My response
So what?
The issue is how many tonnes of rice are produced per hectares and how many hectares are under cultivation.
A simple fact based analysis and not that fake detective stuff
He claims to have Busted the lie.How by a calculation?

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Rice Production In Nigeria Hits 15 Million Tonnes — Bursted by Suspense12(m): 12:07am On Jan 07, 2018
It's like you don't know how you people eat rice!

And not forgetting the fact that some of these rice are being exported!

But on a serious note 300M bags of rice and d price Neva crash!

That's outrageous!!!

11 Likes

Re: Rice Production In Nigeria Hits 15 Million Tonnes — Bursted by hardywaltz(m): 12:11am On Jan 07, 2018
littlewonders:

Whether we eat rice excessively isn't an excuse for the blatant lie this government has been spoon feeding us. Everyday they come up with a failed formula to work on us forgetting we've ungraded our brain effectively.
So what is the lie in 15m metric tonnes of rice kindly educate us.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rice Production In Nigeria Hits 15 Million Tonnes — Bursted by omonnakoda: 12:13am On Jan 07, 2018
At a yield of 4 tonnes per hectare we need to cultivate 4 million hectares of rice ie 40000 square kilometres
Is that realistic?
We are talking an area the size of Zamfara state
That is how to burst the claim
Facts!
Not guesses
Re: Rice Production In Nigeria Hits 15 Million Tonnes — Bursted by aolawale025: 12:27am On Jan 07, 2018
A ship load of rice is about 300,000 bags. Surely if 300M bags hit the market there's bound to be an impact.
These people are desperately gathering campaign materials for 2019

8 Likes

Re: Rice Production In Nigeria Hits 15 Million Tonnes — Bursted by SalamRushdie: 12:32am On Jan 07, 2018
Baawaa:
Nigeria's rice hit so so figure,is what we are hearing,to buy it, is real problem the price and availability.

Is like ya zombie is curing small small oo

6 Likes

Re: Rice Production In Nigeria Hits 15 Million Tonnes — Bursted by HAH: 12:40am On Jan 07, 2018
There are approximately 200m Nigerians which I doubt, going by the op calculations of 300M bags it means each person in Nigeria eats 1.5 bags of rice, this includes infants and children. Do you alone as an adult eat 1.5 bag of 50kg rice in a year talkless of a child ? Is it only rice that people eat ?

I agree with op that the the government assertion that 15M metric tonnes were produced as a big lie.

11 Likes

Re: Rice Production In Nigeria Hits 15 Million Tonnes — Bursted by Lusola15: 1:02am On Jan 07, 2018
HAH:
There are approximately 200m Nigerians which I doubt, going by the op calculations of 300M bags it means each person in Nigeria eats 1.5 bags of rice, this includes infants and children. Do you alone as an adult eat 1.5 bag of 50kg rice in a year talkless of a child ? Is it only rice that people eat ?

I agree with op that the the government assertion that 15M metric tonnes were produced as a big lie.

Brother it is very possible let's assume that

An average person will eat 500g of rice atp a go
An average Nigerian will eat rice 250 days in a year or more
That is like 1.2bag a year

Not to talk of rice flour, tuwu and the rest

How much rice did you eat last December.

I do agree that the government may be giving us false data just to save face

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rice Production In Nigeria Hits 15 Million Tonnes — Bursted by ProjectNaija(m): 7:01am On Jan 07, 2018
Lusola15:

It is totally impossible. A family of six that eats rice at least four times a week will take them six months to finish a 50kg bag of rice. The OP has done a very good job with his analysis. This government is notorious for telling outrageous lies.

7 Likes

Re: Rice Production In Nigeria Hits 15 Million Tonnes — Bursted by Nobody: 7:03am On Jan 07, 2018
good news .pics
Re: Rice Production In Nigeria Hits 15 Million Tonnes — Bursted by omonnakoda: 7:43am On Jan 07, 2018
ProjectNaija:

It is totally impossible. A family of six that eats rice at least four times a week will take them six months to finish a 50kg bag of rice. The OP has done a very good job with his analysis. This government is notorious for telling outrageous lies.
China produces 210 million tonnes that is 14 times what is being claimed and their population is not 14 times ours so it is very POSSIBLE.
The issue is whether it is true which can be established not by calculations or baseless analysis but facts.
Personally I have no idea if it is true or not but it is very possible.
Our young people go to school but do not learn logic or how to debate and think emotions are a good substitute for logic.

How much land is needed to produce 15 million tonnes and at what yield per unit of land.
How much land is under rice cultivation I Nigeria?
Those are the facts you need to bust the government "lies" not emotional twaddle
HOW LONG WILL IT TAKE A CHINESE FAMILY OF SIX TO eat the 4.2 billion 50 km bags they produce or is the Chinese government lying too.
The Nigeria government could be but you have done NOTHING to demonstrate that

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Rice Production In Nigeria Hits 15 Million Tonnes — Bursted by omonnakoda: 7:56am On Jan 07, 2018
Lusola15:

An average person eat 500 grams!kilode ?

3 Likes

Re: Rice Production In Nigeria Hits 15 Million Tonnes — Bursted by yanshDoctor: 8:32am On Jan 07, 2018
omonnakoda:

China produces 210 million tonnes that is 14 times what is being claimed and their population is not 14 times ours so it is very POSSIBLE.
The issue is whether it is true which can be established not by calculations or baseless analysis but facts.
Personally I have no idea if it is true or not but it is very possible.
Our young people go to school but do not learn logic or how to debate and think emotions are a good substitute for logic.

How much land is needed to produce 15 million tonnes and at what yield per unit of land.
How much land is under rice cultivation I Nigeria?
Those are the facts you need to bust the government "lies" not emotional twaddle
HOW LONG WILL IT TAKE A CHINESE FAMILY OF SIX TO eat the 4.2 billion 50 km bags they produce or is the Chinese government lying too.
The Nigeria government could be but you have done NOTHING to demonstrate that

india is the world highest exporter of rice.. if Nigeria should produce that number of rice Nigeria would feel the effect.

like great rice pyramid. do you know what just 1 million bag of rice pyramid would look like. let assume a bag is N10,000 wholesale, then multiply with 1,000,000 bags.

N10,000 × 1,000,000 = N10,000,000,000

N10,000,000,000 × 300 = N3,000,000,000,000.

that's 3trillion, about half of annual budget transaction took place.

some of the things Nigerians will notice, example are job creation, price of rice will crashed, the farmers or manufacturers will have hips or pyramid of unsold rice which by now can be verified, there will be lack of storage capacity by farmers or manufacturers or wholesalers.

by the way, all the rice consume last year December were all foreign, everybody i know all bought foreign rice, so show us the rice.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rice Production In Nigeria Hits 15 Million Tonnes — Bursted by yanshDoctor: 8:33am On Jan 07, 2018
omonnakoda:

An average person eat 500 grams!kilode ?
oga an adult will not finish 50kg of rice a year not to talk of children and some adult who only eat little
Re: Rice Production In Nigeria Hits 15 Million Tonnes — Bursted by yanshDoctor: 8:35am On Jan 07, 2018
omonnakoda:

He has no point so telling us it is 300million bags proves what?
How many grains is it?.
You don't prove anything with a stupid common entrance calculation.
How many olodos is it?
I have no idea whether the government is lying. But that calculation is very stupid it is like calculating how many seconds are in a week.
My response
So what?
The issue is how many tonnes of rice are produced per hectares and how many hectares are under cultivation.
A simple fact based analysis and not that fake detective stuff
He claims to have Busted the lie.How by a calculation?

india is the world highest exporter of rice. if Nigeria should produce that number of rice Nigeria would feel the effect.

like great rice pyramid. do you know what just 1 million bag of rice pyramid would look like. let assume a bag is 10,000 wholesale them multiply with 1,000,000 bags.

some of the things Nigerians will notice, example are job creation, price of rice will crashed, the farmers or manufacturers will have hips or pyramid of unsold rice which by now can be verified, there will be lack of storage capacity by farmers or manufacturers or wholesalers.

by the way, all the rice consume last year December were all foreign, everybody i know all bought foreign rice, so show us the rice.

3 Likes

Re: Rice Production In Nigeria Hits 15 Million Tonnes — Bursted by omonnakoda: 8:40am On Jan 07, 2018
yanshDoctor:

China is the world highest exporter of rice. followed by India. if Nigeria should produce that number of rice Nigeria would feel the effect.

like great rice pyramid. do you know what just 1 million bag of rice pyramid would look like. let assume a bag is 10,000 wholesale them multiply with 1,000,000 bags.

You are a liar and totally dishonest

You wrote China is the top exporter FOLLOWED by India
Now you are claiming it is a typo

How can that be a typo ?
What did you mean to write?Why did you not say so since?
Instead you went to edit your post.
You are a shameless liar

The post is still available

That is what you wrote

China is an importer of rice

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rice Production In Nigeria Hits 15 Million Tonnes — Bursted by mangood74: 8:45am On Jan 07, 2018
The big question here is where is the rice ? I m a rice dealer and until now what we sell is smuggled rice from cotonou the fg should tell us the names and their brand. names lies from the pit of hell

6 Likes

Re: Rice Production In Nigeria Hits 15 Million Tonnes — Bursted by HAH: 8:47am On Jan 07, 2018
Lusola15:

I have a family of 5, my wife and I and 3 children, we also have a house help, to God who made me a bag of 50kg rice lasts for about at least 4 months, and we eat a lot though mixed with other food, so your assumptions may not be entirely right

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rice Production In Nigeria Hits 15 Million Tonnes — Bursted by omonnakoda: 8:49am On Jan 07, 2018
HAH:
I have a family of 5, my wife and I and 3 children, we also have a house help to God who made me a bag of 50kg rice lasts for about at least 4 months, and we eat a lot though mixed with other food, so your assumptions may not be entirely right
None of this has any analytical value . It is just GIST
This applies to the person you quoted,
It is sad that Nigerians don't know how to debate
Why bring God into it. Will that add value to what you said?
Whether it is true or not has nothing to do with what people eat.
It is very very possible.
The question is

IS IT TRUE?
Weh cannot establish or debunk it based on what you wrote.
China produces more per capita than us (assuming the claim is true)and they are the

NUMBER ONE IMPORTER OF RICE

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rice Production In Nigeria Hits 15 Million Tonnes — Bursted by GMBuhari: 8:52am On Jan 07, 2018
Whoever cooked up this "Operation Burst" analysis needs to visit some states in the North where equivalent of small villages in some places is a rice farm

A pikin that's not seen another Father's farm always believes his father's is the largest

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Rice Production In Nigeria Hits 15 Million Tonnes — Bursted by HAH: 8:58am On Jan 07, 2018
GMBuhari:
Whoever cooked up this "Operation Burst" analysis needs to visit some states in the North where equivalent of small villages in some places is a rice farm

A pikin that's not seen another Father's farm always believes his father's is the largest

I am a northerner, and I live in the north, but the only thing that will set us free is the truth and the truth is some official are lying to the president about the rice production, at best we have done 10 % of the assertion. Sentiments aside

3 Likes

Re: Rice Production In Nigeria Hits 15 Million Tonnes — Bursted by HAH: 9:06am On Jan 07, 2018
omonnakoda:

None of this has any analytical value . It is just GIST
This applies to the person you quoted,
It is sad that Nigerians don't know how to debate
Why bring God into it. Will that add value to what you said?
Whether it is true or not has nothing to do with what people eat.
It is very very possible.
The question is

IS IT TRUE?
Weh cannot establish or debunk it based on what you wrote.
China produces more per capita than us (assuming the claim is true)and they are the

NUMBER ONE IMPORTER OF RICE
you are just being theoretical, I am giving you a practical view and all you have I issue is my stating "God" by the way I live in the north, kaduna to be precise, I visit most of the state north west where this rice revolution is going on and obviously the figures are seriously exxergerated

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

God Has Nigeria In Mind - Map Of Nigeria Spotted On A Praying Mountain / Ekiti Election: Dayo Adeyeye Joins APC / Presidency Warns Nigerians Against Voting out Buhari In 2019

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.