Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,804 members, 7,813,643 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 03:33 PM

Noise Pollution In Nigeria - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Noise Pollution In Nigeria (941 Views)

Kaduna, Aba, Onitsha, Umuahia Among 20 Worst Cities Worldwide For Air Pollution / UK Court Blocks Niger Delta Pollution Claims Against Shell / Lagos Seals 70 Churches, 20 Mosques, 11 Hotels For Noise Pollution (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Noise Pollution In Nigeria by fratermathy(m): 3:26pm On Nov 19, 2016
I've always wondered whether there are laws in place to control noise pollution in Nigeria and if there are, whether they are effective. Maybe lawyers and legally inclined persons can help me out here.
It annoys me, more than anything, when people just think because they are in a lawless country, they can organize "all-nights" where members threaten peaceful residents, including children, who want a good night rest with chants of "die, die, die, fire, fire, fire, etc" and play annoyingly loud music or organise open parties in residential areas. This is an issue that we need to address in this country because it shows how progressive and civilized we are. If these noise-laden events must be organised, it should be done in non-residential areas, noise-proof buildings or areas where permission for noise terrorism has been sought and given.
Last night, I couldn't get my usual sleep because of an open party where lewd, loud, and inappropriate songs were blared all through even as people, whom I reckon as strangers to the area, could not control their gyrations, laughters and screams.
I stayed up all night wondering whether the police could actually arrest and sue people to court for noise pollution. I read the Nigerian constitution and criminal codes, which I downloaded on my phone, and couldn't find a provision for sound pollution and related offences.
As Nigerians, we need to learn to put aside our lackadaisical attitudes, as well as our hyper religiosity, and tackle the issue of noise pollution fair and square. Noise pollution is a silent killer. Some of its effects include migraines, insomnia, anxiety, nervousness, psychosis, etc and let's not even get started with its effects on children. We may think it's something we can ignore but it's really not. We should learn to walk up to people who wouldn't let calm and quiet reign and speak our minds.
I've resolved therefore to fight back at those who wouldn't let residential areas have their calm and quiet, especially at nights. I need to know if there are any legal means of achieving this or if I have to put on a war suit and verbally attack churches, party organizers, and their likes. Let them call me whatever they want, I don't mind. We are in a civilized society and when we don't act as such, the worst in all of us comes out.

I want us to debate this matter. Let's air our views on this salient issue.

- Mathias Orhero

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Noise Pollution In Nigeria by fratermathy(m): 7:16pm On Nov 19, 2016
joseph1832:
OP there are laws, especially in Lagos. All you have to do, is report.

I'm not in Lagos. However, assuming I am, to whom do we report? Is it the police? Or any other body? And do you believe that they'd respond?
Re: Noise Pollution In Nigeria by lalasticlala(m): 12:54pm On Nov 27, 2016
I find noise pollution disturbing, especially the ones from churches around me at midnight, tarry night, that wouldn't allow one sleep well. Why bring out speakers outside to disturb people's sleep?

I once shared my experience here https://www.nairaland.com/3408494/church-sound-system-wouldnt-allow

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Noise Pollution In Nigeria by joseph1832(m): 1:26pm On Nov 27, 2016
OP there are laws, especially in Lagos. All you have to do, is report.
Re: Noise Pollution In Nigeria by hahn(m): 2:55pm On Nov 27, 2016
The thing is, Jehovah is deaf so it's followers have to scream day and night so it can hear them.

Funny enough, it never answers their prayers and they keep repeating the same prayer points till they die. Despite the obvious lack of concern from their incompetent god.

I wish Ogun state will start something similar to what Lagos is doing as regards shutting down these servants of a deaf god.

The church next door are just plain annoying undecided

1 Like

Re: Noise Pollution In Nigeria by fratermathy(m): 3:30pm On Nov 27, 2016
hahn:
The thing is, Jehovah is deaf so it's followers have to scream day and night so it can hear them.

Funny enough, it never answers their prayers and they keep repeating the same prayer points till they die. Despite the obvious lack of concern from their incompetent god.

I wish Ogun state will start something similar to what Lagos is doing as regards shutting down these servants of a deaf god.

The church next door are just plain annoying undecided

And when you complain or act uninterested, they'll see you as being anti-christ.

This same rubbish happens in the north where you'll be awakened to loud early morning shouts for prayers. You dare not complain, else...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Noise Pollution In Nigeria by fratermathy(m): 3:32pm On Nov 27, 2016
lalasticlala:
I find noise pollution disturbing, especially the ones from churches around me at midnight, tarry night, that wouldn't allow one sleep well. Why bring out speakers outside to disturb people's sleep?

I once shared my experience here https://www.nairaland.com/3408494/church-sound-system-wouldnt-allow

I read your experience. It's good to know that I'm not awkward or alone for wanting a bit of calm and quiet in the midst of religious noisemakers.

Just yesterday, I saw a pastor, armed with a microphone, a wheelbarrow, a loudspeaker and a generator; preaching along the streets around 7pm and scaring people with threats of hell fire.

I wondered what will happen if I go out to confront him. I let it go because he was not staying in one spot but moving round the area.
Re: Noise Pollution In Nigeria by jasysandra(f): 3:49pm On Nov 27, 2016
Noise pollution in Nigeria is something else. Churches disturb my neighborhood like mad. Always holding services, vigils and programs. Forgetting there are in a residential area, they will place their speakers outside and keep you awake with them against your will.

If there's a place I can go and officially report this abeg, I will like to know angry angry

Op wear your shoe make we go sad
Re: Noise Pollution In Nigeria by hahn(m): 4:23pm On Nov 27, 2016
fratermathy:

And when you complain or act uninterested, they'll see you as being anti-christ.

This same rubbish happens in the north where you'll be awakened to loud early morning shouts for prayers. You dare not complain, else...

Awon werey undecided
Re: Noise Pollution In Nigeria by fratermathy(m): 4:43pm On Nov 27, 2016
jasysandra:
Noise pollution in Nigeria is something else. Churches disturb my neighborhood like mad. Always holding services, vigils and programs. Forgetting there are in a residential area, they will place their speakers outside and keep you awake with them against your will.

If there's a place I can go and officially report this abeg, I will like to know angry angry

Op wear your shoe make we go sad

Sharperly!

1 Like

Re: Noise Pollution In Nigeria by Funnyguy83: 4:56am On Nov 28, 2016
lalasticlala:

Nsogbu di.
Re: Noise Pollution In Nigeria by Winnelyn(f): 10:43am On Nov 28, 2016
lalasticlala:

lala you don't sound like a Christian lipsrsealed

(1) (Reply)

Is Buhari Really Replacing Vice President Osibanjo With Orji Uzor Kalu? / Happy Birthday Senator Godswill Akpabio (Drop Your Wishes Here) / Gov Emmanuel Flags Off 5,000 Barrel Modular Refinery In Akwa Ibom

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.