Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,044 members, 7,814,572 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 03:19 PM

UK Court Blocks Niger Delta Pollution Claims Against Shell - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / UK Court Blocks Niger Delta Pollution Claims Against Shell (12662 Views)

UK Court Stops Alison-madueke, Associates From Selling Properties / James Ibori Hangs Out With Friends In London After Being Cleared UK Court. PICS / Shell Wins UK High Court Battle On Niger Delta Pollution Claims (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

UK Court Blocks Niger Delta Pollution Claims Against Shell by Truth234(m): 3:46pm On Jan 26, 2017
A British court on Thursday blocked pollution claims against Anglo-Dutch energy giant Shell by more than 40,000 Niger Delta residents demanding action over decades of oil spills in the region.

Members of the Ogale and Bille communities had applied for the case to be heard in Britain, arguing they could not get justice in Nigeria.

But the High Court in London said it did not have jurisdiction in the case.

“Our community is disappointed but not discouraged by this judgement,” King Emere Godwin Bebe Okpabi, ruler of the Ogale Community, said in a statement.

“This decision has to be appealed, not just for Ogale but for many other people in the Niger Delta who will be shut out if this decision is allowed to stand.

“Shell is simply being asked to clean up its oil and to compensate the communities it has devastated,” he said.

The firm’s lawyer Peter Goldsmith told judge Peter Fraser during a hearing in November that the cases concerned “fundamentally Nigerian issues”, and should not be heard in London.

However, Daniel Leader from legal firm Leigh Day, representing the claimants, responded that the spills had “blighted the lives of the thousands”.

He said they had “no choice” other than to seek legal redress in London.

Goldsmith also argued that the case involves Shell’s Nigerian subsidiary SPDC, which runs a joint venture with the Nigerian government.

He claimed that the case was aimed at establishing the High Court’s jurisdiction over SPDC, opening the door for further claims.

– ‘Strange diseases’ –

Leigh Day had argued that Shell was “ultimately responsible for failing to ensure that its Nigerian subsidiary operates without causing environmental devastation”.

“At the moment these communities have no choice — they have to take them to court to get them to act,” Leader said earlier.

Okpabi told AFP in an interview in November: “Shell is Nigeria and Nigeria is Shell”.

“You can never, never defeat Shell in a Nigerian court. The truth is that the Nigerian legal system is corrupt,” he claimed.

Holding up a plastic bottle containing contaminated water from his community in Nigeria, the tribal king said “my people are drinking this water”.

“There are strange diseases in my community — skin diseases, people are dying sudden deaths, some people are impotent, low sperm count,” he added.

“I can afford to buy water. But can I afford to buy for everybody? No.”

SPDC claims that the main sources of pollution in Ogale and Bille are “crude oil theft, pipeline sabotage and illegal refining”.

The first claim was brought on behalf of 2,335 individuals from the Bille Kingdom, who are mostly fishermen who claim their environment has been blighted by oil spills.

The second claim was brought on behalf of the 40,000 members of the Ogale Community, who say they have suffered repeated oil spills since at least 1989.

AFP

http://investorsking.com/uk-court-blocks-niger-delta-pollution-claims-against-shell/
Re: UK Court Blocks Niger Delta Pollution Claims Against Shell by obembet(f): 3:55pm On Jan 26, 2017
First to comment, e no easy oo... Since 1995

10 Likes 4 Shares

Re: UK Court Blocks Niger Delta Pollution Claims Against Shell by jiinxed: 3:55pm On Jan 26, 2017
Doesn't change the fact that buhari is a bastard. Humongous failure.

17 Likes 4 Shares

Re: UK Court Blocks Niger Delta Pollution Claims Against Shell by dmostcheerful(f): 3:55pm On Jan 26, 2017
I wasn't expecting them to win any case against shell since the federal government is right behind them.
A government that can't even protect its citizen.
In a sane clan it's the government that should be sueing she'll for endangering it's citizen.

15 Likes

Re: UK Court Blocks Niger Delta Pollution Claims Against Shell by olahero(m): 3:56pm On Jan 26, 2017
ND hmmmm

1 Like

Re: UK Court Blocks Niger Delta Pollution Claims Against Shell by Araoluwa005(m): 3:57pm On Jan 26, 2017
Niger/Delta people sef, I wonder where they got their blocked headed lawyer from. so British court should come and judge what is happening in Nigeria abi? HISSES

9 Likes

Re: UK Court Blocks Niger Delta Pollution Claims Against Shell by icemann(m): 3:57pm On Jan 26, 2017
If in the process of repairing your car a mechanic have an accident( which is not is fault) is he not responsible for fixing or making sure your car get fixed? All i am saying is shell is also part responsible for the Vandalism.

Shell is not cleaning up or making sure there is a clean up.

We need to send them out of ND fast. They are bribing our leaders and screwing ND so if our leaders wouldn't fight for us, we should fight for ourselves

4 Likes

Re: UK Court Blocks Niger Delta Pollution Claims Against Shell by cstr55: 3:57pm On Jan 26, 2017

3 Likes

Re: UK Court Blocks Niger Delta Pollution Claims Against Shell by habex005(m): 3:58pm On Jan 26, 2017
U.k again
Is that what buhari went there to do

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: UK Court Blocks Niger Delta Pollution Claims Against Shell by gbegemaster(m): 3:58pm On Jan 26, 2017

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: UK Court Blocks Niger Delta Pollution Claims Against Shell by Guyman02: 3:58pm On Jan 26, 2017
Taking this matter against Shell to a British court is as stupid as Prince Bola Ajibola leading Nigeria to the International Court of Justice on the issue of Bakassi Peninsula with a French man as judge and expecting him to rule against French dominated Cameroon in our favour.

Those Niger Delta villagers need to see this as it will help them to restrategize better
pembisco:
When they move from Europe to Africa =Voyages of discovery.
When we move from Africa to Europe = Illegal immigrants.
A group of Africans in Europe = Refugees.
A group of Europeans in Africa = Tourists .
A group of Africans in the bush = Poachers .
A Group of Europeans in bush = Hunters !
Black people working in a foreign country = Foreigners.
White people working in a foreign country=Expatriates!!

This world has failed Africa!

15 Likes

Re: UK Court Blocks Niger Delta Pollution Claims Against Shell by slurryeye: 3:58pm On Jan 26, 2017
They shouldn't let the judgment discourage them. They should take the case to International Court of Justice. Shell must be charged responsible for their environmental degradation

3 Likes

Re: UK Court Blocks Niger Delta Pollution Claims Against Shell by Cletus77(m): 3:58pm On Jan 26, 2017
the people dat even colonize you people dont even have time for you. Sad!!!
Re: UK Court Blocks Niger Delta Pollution Claims Against Shell by Dannidom(m): 3:58pm On Jan 26, 2017
I must make fp although i have nothing to contribute

1 Like 1 Share

Re: UK Court Blocks Niger Delta Pollution Claims Against Shell by Nobody: 3:59pm On Jan 26, 2017
Buhari u don try, make you return as u don complete ur mission

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: UK Court Blocks Niger Delta Pollution Claims Against Shell by CriticMaestro: 3:59pm On Jan 26, 2017
what did u expect? a western company to be tried for crimes in a western country? hahahhahah joke of the year so far

2 Likes

Re: UK Court Blocks Niger Delta Pollution Claims Against Shell by felixomor: 3:59pm On Jan 26, 2017
gbegemaster:
Most of the spill is due to the pipelines the NDA blew up.

Abeg hold it.
Do u live there?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: UK Court Blocks Niger Delta Pollution Claims Against Shell by jesus500(m): 4:00pm On Jan 26, 2017
Shell is probably a uk company, they will surely protect their own interest first.

1 Like

Re: UK Court Blocks Niger Delta Pollution Claims Against Shell by Dannidom(m): 4:01pm On Jan 26, 2017
gbegemaster:
Most of the spill is due to the pipelines the NDA blew up.
U could easily ignore this thread without pasting your stupidity on the cyber space for al to see

13 Likes

Re: UK Court Blocks Niger Delta Pollution Claims Against Shell by Akinz0126(m): 4:01pm On Jan 26, 2017
Some 1 should pls tell me what the news is all about
Re: UK Court Blocks Niger Delta Pollution Claims Against Shell by ephi123(f): 4:04pm On Jan 26, 2017
What a shame. I was hoping this case would set a record.
Re: UK Court Blocks Niger Delta Pollution Claims Against Shell by Luukasz(m): 4:04pm On Jan 26, 2017
How do you expect a white man to judge against his fellow white man in a black nation aint gon happen.
Re: UK Court Blocks Niger Delta Pollution Claims Against Shell by sammyj: 4:06pm On Jan 26, 2017
hmmmmm!!!! I don't blame them if not for our useless rulers !!! angry
Re: UK Court Blocks Niger Delta Pollution Claims Against Shell by emmanuel596(m): 4:06pm On Jan 26, 2017
Re: UK Court Blocks Niger Delta Pollution Claims Against Shell by soberdrunk(m): 4:06pm On Jan 26, 2017
I guess i should take my Landlord to a British court, since we no longer have courts in Nigeria......... Niger Deltans will never cease to amaze me angry angry

3 Likes

Re: UK Court Blocks Niger Delta Pollution Claims Against Shell by jeftalene(m): 4:08pm On Jan 26, 2017
Meanwhile do you know that prices of iron rods or rebars has gone up from #165,000 in December, last year to #240,000 today?

How would you know when you didnt check Osaz'Index.

Always visit www.engineerosaz..com to see latest prices of all building materials in Nigeria and be informed.
Re: UK Court Blocks Niger Delta Pollution Claims Against Shell by vengertime: 4:08pm On Jan 26, 2017
This present British high commissioner is a trouble maker. Shell will regret investing in Nigeria Delta this year.
Re: UK Court Blocks Niger Delta Pollution Claims Against Shell by ba7man(m): 4:09pm On Jan 26, 2017
If I talk say make dem no vandalize and blow up pipelines because of the effect on the environment and health, dem go call me "Afonja environmentalist".........So I have nothing to say. lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

6 Likes

Re: UK Court Blocks Niger Delta Pollution Claims Against Shell by QuietHammer(m): 4:09pm On Jan 26, 2017
Trump will come to our rescue. grin
Re: UK Court Blocks Niger Delta Pollution Claims Against Shell by Kx: 4:09pm On Jan 26, 2017
A prince cannot lose his case in his father (the king) court. African Proverb
Re: UK Court Blocks Niger Delta Pollution Claims Against Shell by steppin: 4:09pm On Jan 26, 2017
Kx:
A prince cannot lose his case in his father (the king) court. African Proverb
Gbam!
Re: UK Court Blocks Niger Delta Pollution Claims Against Shell by win3k: 4:10pm On Jan 26, 2017
Niigerians are like the black slaves 400 years ago, you can do anything to them but they will never revolt.
They believe in a god that they never see and they leave everything in the hands of that imaginary god.
in the meantime they are being exploited by everyone.
yeye people!

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Senate Suspends Confirmation Of Aisha Ahmad As CBN Deputy Governor / 4000 Policemen Deployed To Nasarawa As Buhari Visits / Peter Obi Donates Computers, Printers, Generator Set To School

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.