Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,432 members, 7,830,167 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 05:09 PM

For Tennis Lovers: Australian Open! - Sports (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / For Tennis Lovers: Australian Open! (6716 Views)

Tennis: Australian Open 2012 / Tennis: Australian Open 2011 / Australian Open 2009 - Men (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: For Tennis Lovers: Australian Open! by Nobody: 2:35am On Jan 25, 2007
Nah @ dblock

My favorite male players based on form in Australia:

1. Gonzalez - definitely the best male player out there!

2. Federer - capable of beating anyone even on an off day

3. Andy Roddick - Simply the best American player now

For female:

1. Serena Williams

2. Kim Clijsters

3. Shahar Peer
Re: For Tennis Lovers: Australian Open! by dblock(m): 3:03am On Jan 25, 2007
My List wan't based on Form but entertainment

Your list is quite true, except i don't fancy clijsters grin
Re: For Tennis Lovers: Australian Open! by PDF: 7:49am On Jan 25, 2007
Sharapova is through to the final! she [i]sharap[/i]ped Clijsters by beating her 6-4 6-2. She meets Serena who beat Vaidisova 7-6 6-4.

I still find it hard to believe that Clijsters could lose in straight sets to Sharapova. It's so disappointing  sad . I don't see Serena upsetting her in the final.

I hope Federer makes my day. His match against Roddick starts 9:30am (Nigerian time)
Re: For Tennis Lovers: Australian Open! by dblock(m): 7:51am On Jan 25, 2007
Clijsters sucks, I hated how she got the standing ovation. I'm more intersted in the Male finals though wink
Re: For Tennis Lovers: Australian Open! by Nobody: 7:52am On Jan 25, 2007
I'm glad Clijsters lost! If she had got to the final Serena would be at a massive disadvantage playing against someone who has the crowd behind her (Aussie Kim) to win her last ever Australian open!

With the shreaking sharapova, we still have a chance of winning.
Re: For Tennis Lovers: Australian Open! by iice(f): 7:55am On Jan 25, 2007
Crossing ma fingers for Serena and Federer grin
Re: For Tennis Lovers: Australian Open! by dblock(m): 7:58am On Jan 25, 2007
I don't get it, the Lady (clijsters) had a relationship with local boy  Lleyton hewitt and now she's "Aussie Clijsters"
So if Serena wants the crowds support all she's got to do is go out with Lleyton Hewitt, Wayne Authurs or Philipousis
Re: For Tennis Lovers: Australian Open! by Nobody: 8:03am On Jan 25, 2007
Lleyton Hewitt is the golden boy of Aussie tennis, it just made sense that the crowd would identify with someone he once was going to marry.

I'm just glad she's not in the final. I can only imagine what that day would have looked like for Serena.
Re: For Tennis Lovers: Australian Open! by dblock(m): 8:04am On Jan 25, 2007
Llyeton Hewitt sucks aswell grin
Re: For Tennis Lovers: Australian Open! by Nobody: 8:06am On Jan 25, 2007
lleyton was not as talented as he was aggressive. Now that the aggression and desire to win has faded slowly, so has his ability to win big matches.

Perhaps it is the curse of the scorned Clijsters. . .
Re: For Tennis Lovers: Australian Open! by dblock(m): 8:08am On Jan 25, 2007
Does anyone have the player profile of Gozalez, or do have to fetch one myself undecided
Re: For Tennis Lovers: Australian Open! by Nobody: 8:15am On Jan 25, 2007
Re: For Tennis Lovers: Australian Open! by dblock(m): 8:21am On Jan 25, 2007
Thanx @ Davidylan, isn't it stereotypical that his first name is Fernando and his last name Gonzalez (It's the most popular combination i believe) grin
Re: For Tennis Lovers: Australian Open! by PDF: 8:27am On Jan 25, 2007
Would Hingis have fared better against Sharapova? Maybe it's not all about power.

@dblock Gonzalez's Profile
Re: For Tennis Lovers: Australian Open! by dblock(m): 8:32am On Jan 25, 2007
According to that link he's got $4,000,000 in Prize money, not bad for someone that turned Pro in 1999 cheesy
Re: For Tennis Lovers: Australian Open! by toptho(f): 8:46am On Jan 25, 2007
To think we didnt believe Serena will go this far,I hope she beats sharapova what a lovely upset that will be.Federer to step up a gear this morning,go roger! grin
Re: For Tennis Lovers: Australian Open! by opeemi1(m): 10:57am On Jan 25, 2007
My boy(Roger Federer) is on fire right now. grin
Re: For Tennis Lovers: Australian Open! by toptho(f): 11:01am On Jan 25, 2007
He is blowing Roddick away 6-4,6-0 in the first 2 sets now leading 4-1 in the third set.Come on Roger, i almost feel sorry for andy
Re: For Tennis Lovers: Australian Open! by toptho(f): 11:10am On Jan 25, 2007
roger is class 6-4,6-0,6-2 ,his backhands were lovely,his hits on the line were shocked
Re: For Tennis Lovers: Australian Open! by opeemi1(m): 11:14am On Jan 25, 2007
@ toptho

You again, ehn?. you hand is always on the reply button.

Don't worry, I will beat you to it next time. grin
Re: For Tennis Lovers: Australian Open! by toptho(f): 11:18am On Jan 25, 2007
lol.do u know i was thinking of that.I am always excited when it comes to federer's matches,andy was really struggling
Re: For Tennis Lovers: Australian Open! by opeemi1(m): 11:36am On Jan 25, 2007
I Hope Serena Williams makes me proud. I am really happy that she qualified after beating Vaidisova. Both Serena and Sharapova will play the finals. It would be the battle of Stamina vs Noise. cheesy
Re: For Tennis Lovers: Australian Open! by PDF: 1:44pm On Jan 25, 2007
Roddick's Interview after the match. It's a long, honest and funny one.

I love this part:

Q. How much would you have paid in order not to come to this press conference tonight?

ANDY RODDICK: That's about the best question that's been asked.

Well, I mean, I can't really say an amount because I would have gotten fined, what, 20 grand. Obviously, it would have to be less than that, right, if we're thinking logically? It really wouldn't be about the money; it would be about running away and not facing it.

I would pay a lot of money if everyone would just make up stuff that I said and pretend like I was actually here. That would be fine. My dad didn't raise me to run away from it, so here I am.
Re: For Tennis Lovers: Australian Open! by profade1(m): 2:50pm On Jan 25, 2007
And the winners are:

Men's final: Roger Federer

Women's final: Serena Williams ( she had better win, since the first time Sharapova really came to limelight was by beating Serena at Wimbledon ( 2, 3 years ago?). So let the situations be reversed.

And I think Nadal's injury was more shock than a$$ bites or leg tremors or whatever. Somehow you don't expect him to be comprehensively beaten like that except by federer or maybe Blake. There is still perception that While Federer might be the sole inhabitant of cloud 9 ( a class of his own); that Nadal inhabits cloud 8.2 alone. Suddenly we find Gonzalez on cloud 8.45.

What a shock for Nadal.

Meanwhile going by statistics, let's see what Federer will do to Gonzalez.
Re: For Tennis Lovers: Australian Open! by PDF: 3:11pm On Jan 25, 2007
I see you've written off Hass completely.

It's interesting to know that Federer holds a 9 - 0 head-to-head record against Gonzo, while he holds a 7 - 2 record against Haas. So going by statistics, Federer is as good as winning the tournament already.

Let's see how it all goes.
Re: For Tennis Lovers: Australian Open! by profade1(m): 11:23am On Jan 26, 2007
Haas just lost in straight sets.
Re: For Tennis Lovers: Australian Open! by PDF: 11:26am On Jan 26, 2007
Gonzalez books a date with Federer on Sunday. He completely destroyed Hass by beating him 6-1, 6-3, 6-1.

What a final we have on our hands!
Re: For Tennis Lovers: Australian Open! by strongest(m): 1:57pm On Jan 26, 2007
Hi guys did you see the way Gonzalez destroy Nadal and Tommy Hass today the final is going to be a must watch but i know Federe with come out top. But

Did you guys see the way Gonzalez destroy Nadal? and what he did to tommy haas this morning the guy might not win the australian open but whatch out for him the guy is dam good.
Re: For Tennis Lovers: Australian Open! by darlingbas(m): 2:32pm On Jan 26, 2007
i really applaud the way Gonz finished Haas this morning, But there's something about Federer that is unbeatble, though the final is going to be a very intresting one, i bet federer is gona destroy Gonz.
Re: For Tennis Lovers: Australian Open! by dblock(m): 2:57am On Jan 27, 2007
I knew Gonzalez would go through to the final about a week ago so what's new wink
Re: For Tennis Lovers: Australian Open! by Nobody: 4:41am On Jan 27, 2007
Sharapova is being Sharraped by Serena Williams! grin
Re: For Tennis Lovers: Australian Open! by Nobody: 4:47am On Jan 27, 2007
It is official! [b]Sharap[/b]ova may you forever hold your peace!

6-1 6-2

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

10 Professional WWE Wrestlers From Africa, 5 Are Nigerians (photos) / Mali Vs Cameroon: AFCON 2015 (1 - 1) On 20th January 2015 / Sports Photo Quiz 1

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.