Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,834 members, 7,817,450 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:27 PM

Thriller In Ogun State: Commuters Repel Armed Robbers With AXE, Cutlass... - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Thriller In Ogun State: Commuters Repel Armed Robbers With AXE, Cutlass... (1982 Views)

Police Attack Alaba Peters, Lagos Community Leader With Axe - Picture / Police Nab Robbers With Female Underwear, Clothes, Phone (Photo) / Cultists Arrested With Axe, Regalia And Other Items In A Hotel In Abia. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Thriller In Ogun State: Commuters Repel Armed Robbers With AXE, Cutlass... by Greycells(m): 7:18pm On Nov 19, 2016
It was like a scene out of a thriller movie on the three kilometre Long Bridge on the Lagos-Ibadan bound carriage at about 7.30pm yesterday night, when commuters from Lagos repelled a vicious band of armed robbers from robbing and causing them grievous bodily harm.

See eye witness account below after the cut:

“It was about 7:30pm. The orderly queues of vehicles moving towards Magboro stopped for not more than 5 minutes on the Long Bridge inside the demarcation created by Julius Berger on Thursday. We were still wondering whether a car broke down again when the evil boys sprang out from nowhere.

They started with a commercial bus, stabbed the driver in the rib and yanked off a woman’s hand bag. The woman reportedly slumped probably out of shock. People shouted ‘won ti pa o’. Motorists scrambled out of their vehicles and fled in various directions. A boy of probably 7 years stood by their family car, shouting to his fleeing mother ‘I cannot leave my daddy’. His father probably couldn’t run or didn’t want to run. I’m not sure which.

I made frantic calls for help to the police and to someone who I believed had their special password. I was assured they would be there shortly. But I, like the rest of the terrified people on the bridge knew that the job of keeping ourselves from being killed or hurt was exclusively ours in the interim.

With no help in sight, some motorists who had apparently been experiencing such on the road came out with cutlasses, axes, and other hideous weapons etc. Sheer terror was unleashed. Women screamed.Children cried. No one was sure who was a robber or vigilante. Utter bedlam in pitch darkness. The Long Bridge falls under Ogun State which, quite frankly has no wish to be like Lagos State when it grows up.

http://www.jalupon.com/thriller-in-ogun-state-in-bound-commuters-from-lagos-repel-armed-robbers-with-axe-cutlass-and-crude-weapons/#more-6053

Re: Thriller In Ogun State: Commuters Repel Armed Robbers With AXE, Cutlass... by Greycells(m): 7:21pm On Nov 19, 2016
Commuters beware of the Long Bridge or better still be armed like the Lagos boys of yesterday... grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Robbers attack passengers in Lagos-Ibadan Expressway gridlock

Samson Folarin, Olaleye Aluko and Afeez Hanafi

Robbers have cashed in on the unending gridlock on the Lagos-Ibadan Expressway with many motorists and passengers being dispossessed of their valuables.

Motorists, who spoke with PUNCH Metro, said gunmen attacked them as the gridlock intensified due to the rehabilitation of the road by Julius Berger Plc.

Some victims said the robbers attacked Lagos-bound vehicles held up in the traffic and stole phones and money, among other valuables.

A motorist, Aborishade Osanyin, said the hoodlums operated at about 8pm on Sunday.

He said, “They targeted exotic cars in the traffic. They harassed the owners and collected their valuables.

“The robbers are suspected to be hoodlums hiding under the Kara Bridge. Some motorists managed to reach the police, but the robbers had a field day for about 20 minutes.”

A commuter, who did not identify himself, described how the robbers operated.

“Some of them wore masks and had guns. They took the side of the long bridge where Julius Berger is rehabilitating and attacked vehicles in the gridlock. They shot into the air as they moved from one vehicle to the other. It was scary; some people jumped out of their vehicles and ran away,” he said.

The commuter said when policemen, who had received information on the robbery, arrived at the scene, they started shooting into the air to scare off the robbers.

He said the hoodlums escaped into the surrounding bushes.

It was learnt that policemen attached to the Warewa Police Division, Ogun State, and the operatives of the Rapid Response Squad, and the Isheri Police Division, Lagos State, responded to the situation.

A policeman in the team told PUNCH Metro that no arrest was made.

He said, “The hoodlums have hideouts in the area. When they sighted the police patrol vehicles, they took to their heels. The most important thing was to stop the robbery, which we did. We were able to assure the motorists driving into Lagos that the robbers had fled and that they were safe.”

Similarly on Tuesday, the robbers were said to have blocked the Multichoice end of the expressway attacking motorists in the resultant gridlock.

The Commander, RRS, ACP Olatunji Disu, said the police dislodged the robbers on Sunday.

http://punchng.com/hoodlums-rob-lagos-ibadan-expressway-gridlock/
Re: Thriller In Ogun State: Commuters Repel Armed Robbers With AXE, Cutlass... by Greycells(m): 7:24pm On Nov 19, 2016
Still on the same Long Bridge - herdsmen who are robbers killed a retired general! shocked shocked shocked shocked

Herdsmen kill General on Lagos-Ibadan Expressway
July 10, 2012 by Kunle Falayi 1 Comment

When Brig. Gen. Sylvester Iruh (retd.) left Ilorin, Kwara State, on Friday, July 6, his goal was to return to his family in Akute, Ogun State.

Having left them for a day to attend a burial in Ilorin, Iruh must have been eager to return to his Akute residence.

But his hopes were dashed when he was attacked by suspected herdsmen on the Long Bridge on Lagos-Ibadan Expressway.

Iruh’s wife, Christiana, told our correspondent on Monday that she was expecting her husband when she received call that he had been attacked.

She said, “When I got to the Lagos State Emergency Hospital where he was rushed to, I was told he was dead.

“I asked the other occupants of the vehicle – two men and a woman – what happened to my husband and they said the tyre of the Hilux vehicle he was driving had problem. So, he had to stop on the bridge to change it.

“They said other motorists going on the road kept warning them that the place was dangerous. So, he decided to leave the place and change the tyre when they got to a safe spot.”

Our correspondent learnt that Sylvester asked the other occupants to get into the vehicle quickly so that they could leave the place.

But before Iruh could join them, two men came out from under the bridge and immediately shot him with an arrow.

Christiana said, “I was told they immediately pounced on him after that and stabbed him all over his body and face. One of the daggers stuck to his back.

“The dagger was removed at the mortuary. The men who attacked him were said to be carrying sticks like Fulani nomads with bows and arrows in their bags.”

The faulty tyre the deceased attempted to change
One of the occupants of the vehicle was said to have sustained stab wounds on his arm too. The suspects, it was learnt, robbed them of their money and phones.

PUNCH Metro learnt that Iruh had driven from Ilorin in convoy of a bus conveying women who also attended the burial.

One of the occupants of the bus, Mrs. Kemi Agbekeye, said, “This incident happened between 6.30pm and 7pm. We took off together, but Daddy Iruh overtook us. But when we got to the long bridge, we noticed that his car had stopped.

“We decided to stop and wait for them a little distance ahead because a trailer was parked in front of his vehicle.

“But after five minutes and they still had not taken off, we had to call them to ask what was wrong with the vehicle. That was when they told us they had been attacked.

“Moments later, the vehicle got to where we were, with Iruh in the back and blood gushing out of his body. He was pronounced dead at the hospital we took him to.”

Agbekeye said while they were at the hospital, four people were brought in later that night, who said they had been attacked by herdsmen on the bridge. But none of them died.

It was learnt that Iruh was the Commander, Army Records, Lokoja, Kogi State and was at a time appointed Chief Security Officer in the state during Alhaji Idris Ibrahim’s administration.

He retired in 2009 and had his pull-out ceremony on January 23, 2009.

Iruh’s close friend and course mate at the Nigeria Defence Academy, Col. Femi Mepaiyeda (retd.), described him as “a gentleman and fine officer.”

https://www.nairaland.com/986026/herdsmen-kill-general-lagos-ibadan-expressway
Re: Thriller In Ogun State: Commuters Repel Armed Robbers With AXE, Cutlass... by padi94(m): 7:29pm On Nov 19, 2016
RECESSION

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Thriller In Ogun State: Commuters Repel Armed Robbers With AXE, Cutlass... by Greycells(m): 7:32pm On Nov 19, 2016
padi94:
RECESSION

Yes na, who wants to be robbed during a recession? angry angry angry angry angry

I remember the early 1990s joke in senior secondary that a fighter jet is required to rob one of Omega Wristwatch. That is what is playing out now... lol grin grin grin grin
Re: Thriller In Ogun State: Commuters Repel Armed Robbers With AXE, Cutlass... by Edmanpumpin(m): 7:49pm On Nov 19, 2016
The Robbers are the Fulani cattle dealers, herders at the kara cattle market not far from the bridge. I had one hit with my car not too long ago, sped off and reported to RRS at Isheri. They got to the scene and arrested the badly injured bororo with dagger. We also got two others mentioned by the thief arrested

1 Like

Re: Thriller In Ogun State: Commuters Repel Armed Robbers With AXE, Cutlass... by ogtavia(m): 7:58pm On Nov 19, 2016
Ogun state is to Western Nigeria what Kenya is to Eastern Africa..

1 Like

Re: Thriller In Ogun State: Commuters Repel Armed Robbers With AXE, Cutlass... by Greycells(m): 8:04pm On Nov 19, 2016
Edmanpumpin:
The Robbers are the Fulani cattle dealers, herders at the kara cattle market not far from the bridge. I had one hit with my car not too long ago, sped off and reported to RRS at Isheri. They got to the scene and arrested the badly injured bororo with dagger. We also got two others mentioned by the thief arrested

Wow, so the word on the streets is true?

Those bastards killed an army general once but were also caught... sad sad sad sad sad sad

I am happy for you oh. Those idiots just do not only rob, they kill or leave their victims decapitated... angry angry angry angry angry angry

1 Like

Re: Thriller In Ogun State: Commuters Repel Armed Robbers With AXE, Cutlass... by Greycells(m): 8:04pm On Nov 19, 2016
ogtavia:
Ogun state is to Western Nigeria what Kenya is to Eastern Africa..

Really?

Please tell me about this... Especially the Kenyan angle shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Thriller In Ogun State: Commuters Repel Armed Robbers With AXE, Cutlass... by ogtavia(m): 8:08pm On Nov 19, 2016
Greycells:

Really?

Please tell me about this... Especially the Kenyan angle shocked shocked shocked shocked

nothing good comes out of Ogun state.
Re: Thriller In Ogun State: Commuters Repel Armed Robbers With AXE, Cutlass... by Greycells(m): 8:14pm On Nov 19, 2016
ogtavia:
nothing good comes out of Ogun state.

grin grin grin grin grin Realy? Please take that back. My very dear wifey and friend is from Ogun State oohhhhhhhhhhhh angry angry angry angry angry angry angry

So nothing good comes out of Kenya too? With their broadband internet touted to advanced than some parts of Europe?
Re: Thriller In Ogun State: Commuters Repel Armed Robbers With AXE, Cutlass... by ogtavia(m): 8:53pm On Nov 19, 2016
Greycells:

grin grin grin grin grin Realy? Please take that back. My very dear wifey and friend is from Ogun State oohhhhhhhhhhhh angry angry angry angry angry angry angry

So nothing good comes out of Kenya too? With their broadband internet touted to advanced than some parts of Europe?
for the sake of ur 'dear wifey', I take it back..but about Kenya internet...abeg. ..take it back...
Re: Thriller In Ogun State: Commuters Repel Armed Robbers With AXE, Cutlass... by Greycells(m): 9:28pm On Nov 19, 2016
ogtavia:
for the sake of ur 'dear wifey', I take it back..but about Kenya internet...abeg. ..take it back...

No wahala, only that one do me. Who cares what you think about Kenya once my wife is happy with me grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

I prefer it more than 40 virgins ko cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Thriller In Ogun State: Commuters Repel Armed Robbers With AXE, Cutlass... by ogtavia(m): 10:02pm On Nov 19, 2016
Greycells:

No wahala, only that one do me. Who cares what you think about Kenya once my wife is happy with me grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

I prefer it more than 40 virgins ko cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
but really,i looked up ur info about Kenya..Kenya might have one the fastest broad band Internet in Africa but certainly no one near any country in Europe...
Re: Thriller In Ogun State: Commuters Repel Armed Robbers With AXE, Cutlass... by Greycells(m): 10:35pm On Nov 19, 2016
ogtavia:
but really,i looked up ur info about Kenya..Kenya might have one the fastest broad band Internet in Africa but certainly no one near any country in Europe...

I can confirm that Kenya's broadband was rated ahead of the UK and you can take my word to the bank cos am a cool dude cool cool cool cool cool cool cool
Re: Thriller In Ogun State: Commuters Repel Armed Robbers With AXE, Cutlass... by ogtavia(m): 10:16am On Nov 20, 2016
Greycells:

I can confirm that Kenya's broadband was rated ahead of the UK and you can take my word to the bank cos am a cool dude cool cool cool cool cool cool cool
source/link please.....
Re: Thriller In Ogun State: Commuters Repel Armed Robbers With AXE, Cutlass... by Greycells(m): 2:30pm On Nov 20, 2016
ogtavia:
source/link please.....

grin grin grin grin grin My Internet does not have google any longer after validating your claim. I will post the other link when my google search is back from a Buhari induced sabbathical. cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

Kenya leads Africa's internet access and connectivity
http://www.cnbcafrica.com/news/east-africa/2014/09/09/kenya-leads-internet/
Re: Thriller In Ogun State: Commuters Repel Armed Robbers With AXE, Cutlass... by ogtavia(m): 3:01pm On Nov 20, 2016
Greycells:

grin grin grin grin grin My Internet does not have google any longer after validating your claim. I will post the other link when my google search is back from a Buhari induced sabbathical. cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

Kenya leads Africa's internet access and connectivity
http://www.cnbcafrica.com/news/east-africa/2014/09/09/kenya-leads-internet/
Thanks bro...but still..the link still doesn't make ur assertion so convincing.
Re: Thriller In Ogun State: Commuters Repel Armed Robbers With AXE, Cutlass... by Greycells(m): 8:48pm On Nov 20, 2016
ogtavia:
Thanks bro...but still..the link still doesn't make ur assertion so convincing.

I no longer have access to Google... grin grin grin grin grin grin grin So YouWIN cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Thriller In Ogun State: Commuters Repel Armed Robbers With AXE, Cutlass... by ogtavia(m): 11:16pm On Nov 20, 2016
Greycells:

I no longer have access to Google... grin grin grin grin grin grin grin So YouWIN cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
hehehe...no be only YouWin....smh..
Re: Thriller In Ogun State: Commuters Repel Armed Robbers With AXE, Cutlass... by Greycells(m): 8:37am On Nov 21, 2016
ogtavia:
hehehe...no be only YouWin....smh..

Okay, what about I-WIN tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue
Re: Thriller In Ogun State: Commuters Repel Armed Robbers With AXE, Cutlass... by ogtavia(m): 11:02am On Nov 21, 2016
Greycells:

Okay, what about I-WIN tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue
hehege..guy free me abeg..

(1) (Reply)

Couple Crash Car While Having Sex In Motion, Wife Dies / Busted : Police Finally Arrest 3 Of The 5 Ghanaian Boys Who Gang-raped 15-yr-old / How Reliable Is Worldremit?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.