Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,480 members, 7,830,418 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 09:45 PM

How Not To Be A Lagosian - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Not To Be A Lagosian (458 Views)

Our Children Are Turning Into Prostitutes, We Are Suffering, Tell PMB -Lagosian / Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu Rode On A Horse To Celebrate Xmas With Lagosian / I Am More Lagosian Than Igbo -kachikwu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

How Not To Be A Lagosian by dontee2015(m): 5:48am On Nov 21, 2016
Democracy as we all know is the government of the people by the people and for the people. It is the most acceptable form of governance in the whole world, as it’s a people centred form of government compared to military dictatorship and others. Lagos as a state is not an exception when it comes to having democratic leaders that have endeared themselves to Lagosians due to the dividends of democracy that they’ve churned out since the time of ‘Alhaji lateef Kayode Jakande to the present government of Mr Akinwunmi Ambode.

Though He had a shaky start with little skirmishes here and there, but he has won the heart of every Lagosians. Where will I start from? Is it the investment in security, light up Lagos, the Lagos response unit, construction of internal roads in Lagos among others, the whole General hospitals across Lagos are wearing a new look an example is the General Hospital Ikorodu that was completely renovated and equipped. The average waiting time in this Hospital is about 5mins for each patient; even the main opposition party in the state the PDP couldn’t hide their feelings about the dexterity of Ambode as they have commended the governor for justifying his election with his numerous achievements.

This however should not be a surprise as he said in his inaugural speech as follows “we will make Lagos work for you” and truly Lagos is working. However some people have started reversing the gains of these good deeds of the Lagos state Government. The rate at which some Lagosians have taken it upon themselves to be a clog in the wheel of progress calls for attention from the Government and all well meaning Lagosians, to buttress my point I will give some examples.

On a Wednesday evening I was returning back to Ikorodu from work what I saw at mile 12 was embarrassing. A man that would be in his early 30s was seen cutting a railing that was used as barricade along the mile12 Ikorodu road to say I was shocked was an understatement. He was there cutting the railings unhindered, not even the Presence of Police in the RRS vehicle Parked about few metres away from the spot could stop him, then I started thinking what could have happened to his mental capacity that the next thing he could think of was destroying a Public Property, the next morning on my way to work I met the place empty. The Railing is gone!

As if that was not enough the part of the barricade made of iron gauge that was installed at ketu under bridge late last month have been destroyed ,people now cross the road instead of using the Pedestrian bridge and Police officers and LASTMA officers did nothing to prevent people from crossing through the destroyed barricade, The newly constructed BRT Bus Stops In ketu/ojota have been defaced already even when construction work is still ongoing. In my street some items were removed by some unknown souls and rendered our new Transformer useless until the CDA Fixed it again, the removal of manholes from roads especially in Marina, Costain axis of Lagos is a common sight to behold, another example is the conversion of Ebutte-Ibeshe road roundabout to a mini shrine as all form of sacrifices are placed on the roundabout ,this was a road commissioned with fanfare by Former Governor Fashola, the newly constructed fence at ketu market too have been defaced with job vacancies and other inscriptions. I have countless examples that I see every day that even Lagosians know in their environment.

The effect of this is that we are slowing down the rate at which growth and development takes place in our Dear state .if government spend tax payers money on infrastructure and it got destroyed by citizens we are not punishing the governor, we are punishing ourselves and its making life unbearable, increasing the amounts of funds spent on maintenance which Could have been used to construct more.

I will like to call on all Lagosians to make protection of Public infrastructures our utmost responsibility, these infrastructures are built with our money and it shouldn’t be destroyed same way we won’t pray for anyone to destroy the house we build and I will also call on Government to prosecute suspected vandals as this will serve as a warning to intending ones. Lagos won’t experience progress if we keep destroying what belongs to us. Let’s Protect our Infrastructure. It’s ours.

And one more thing…

Badoo is still around!
The Name Badoo is the name of a Popular Nigerian Rapper Olamide Adedeji who is known for delivering his lyrical raps in Yoruba language but that name is now a name the inhabitants of Ikorodu town in Lagos State don’t want to hear. It all started last year in Ibeshe axis of Ikorodu when a man engaged in the act of Raping, Robbery and killing of unsuspected victims casualty started from 1 until its now over 30 and still counting, some have died in the Process why some were lucky to escape the evil he represents . since then the Ibeshe area have been so unsafe for citizens as some have relocated from the area because of Badoo .there was reprieve last year when news went round that Badoo was lynched by some residents of Ibeshe, what we don’t know is that It has evolved into a group of criminals as the name Badoo is still in everyone’s mouth.
On the 9th of November 2016 the Igbo-Agbowa community of Ikorodu that have been peaceful for years was thrown into confusion when we all woke up to the news of Badoo’s attack on some residents of the community the Victims escaped Death by whiskers but were badly injured in the attack . since that day everyone have been Living in the fear of the unknown , Shops now close earlier than usual as early as 8pm, some residents have resorted to buying dogs and other security materials .the Nigeria Police Force have been doing their Patrols from the day of the attack till now and combing the environment for suspects but this is not enough, we need the Ayangburen of Ikorodu Oba Kabiru Adewale Shotobi to step into this matter and prevent Ikorodu town from becoming a den of criminals, Ikorodu have had its fair share of Armed Robbery, Militancy Attack, Kidnapping and now Badoo from Last year till date. Ikorodu needs Government intervention in area of security. May God protect us all From Evil!!!

Adesina Tosin Nathaniel is a Forward Looking Nigerian Youth, He writes From Ikorodu Lagos.
For more of His Writings Visit www.donteewrites.
Tweets @Donteeaaua
Instagram- Dontee15
Facebook -Adesina Tosin Nathaniel

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: How Not To Be A Lagosian by PeaceOut(m): 6:05am On Nov 21, 2016
To some people it is Buhari fault. Development can only come to me nigeria when the citizens choose to be responsible and see themselves as stakeholders on the Nigeria project.
Re: How Not To Be A Lagosian by labienyce(m): 6:41am On Nov 21, 2016
Good piece

(1) (Reply)

Voting Holds Inside APC Leader’s Compound~premium TIMES / BREAKING: Senate Swears In New Rivers Senators, Adjourns Till January 10 / Describe This African Dance In One Word

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.