Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,766 members, 7,817,113 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:14 AM

Senate Rejects CBN Proposal To Punish People For Ownership Of Forex - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Senate Rejects CBN Proposal To Punish People For Ownership Of Forex (21885 Views)

Wike, NIA Fight Over Ownership Of N13bn Seized By EFCC / Senator Adeola Denies Ownership Of Discovered Billions In Osborne Tower / Senate Will Reject Proposal To Punish People For Ownership Of FOREX* (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Senate Rejects CBN Proposal To Punish People For Ownership Of Forex by aceblizzle: 2:45am On Nov 22, 2016
omohayek:

What idiocy! Who gave you the right to decide for others what they do with their money? Did you help them earn it? Envious, entitled morons like you in power are the real cause of Nigeria's woes.
Thank You,it's like someone buying jewelry and telling the person to sell it for something he does not want

3 Likes

Re: Senate Rejects CBN Proposal To Punish People For Ownership Of Forex by ChimaAdeoye: 2:50am On Nov 22, 2016
aceblizzle:
Thank You,it's like someone buying jewelry and telling the person to sell it for something he does not want
[size=13pt]The most archaic and criminal policies are the only things Buhari dreams up.

How about punishing Amaechi and Tinubu for shipping our foreign exchange abroad and helping to cause the economic problems?

How about punishing Aisha Buhari for spending our scarce forex on expensive watches and handbags on shopping sprees abroad?

Only God will punish Buhari and DSS for stealing from struggling Nigerians. While they all secretly own & operate fat bank accounts abroad.

Instead of investing in agriculture and solid minerals which are real game changers for the economy, lazy BUHARI is hyper-focused on OIL and stealing foreign currency or simply borrowing billions of dollars that he would ultimately loot with his cohorts.
[/size]
Re: Senate Rejects CBN Proposal To Punish People For Ownership Of Forex by BlackMbakara1(m): 8:13am On Nov 22, 2016
iykedare:
Good news. Not everyone who has forex is corrupt. Nigerians have the right to save their money in whatever currency they want. Whoever thought of this is stupid.

Do you save Naira on US soil or in the UK?
Re: Senate Rejects CBN Proposal To Punish People For Ownership Of Forex by linusbnn(m): 8:14am On Nov 22, 2016
DirtyGold:
What has the senate ever done to deserve applause in this country sef?
Bunch of criminals feeding fat on our commonwealth.
I'm just looking at them like... kontinu
Dollar is not our legal tender. If you do legit business in dollars, i dont see why you will need to hold it for so long without it being tagged "speculation".

What's tha business?

Dollar is not our legit currency but the govt does business in dollars. Who is fooling who?

Re: Senate Rejects CBN Proposal To Punish People For Ownership Of Forex by iykedare(m): 8:16am On Nov 22, 2016
BlackMbakara1:

Do you save Naira on US soil or in the UK?

Is that question meant for me?
Re: Senate Rejects CBN Proposal To Punish People For Ownership Of Forex by linusbnn(m): 8:16am On Nov 22, 2016
NaLaugh:

If the senators have to store their loot in Naira, they'll run out of space in their houses.

What about the executives? Be fair in your speech
Re: Senate Rejects CBN Proposal To Punish People For Ownership Of Forex by Nobody: 8:20am On Nov 22, 2016
omohayek:

What idiocy! Who gave you the right to decide for others what they do with their money? Did you help them earn it? Envious, entitled morons like you in power are the real cause of Nigeria's woes.
so you can't express yourself without resort to insult? Don't quote me again. Maturity speaks volume.
Re: Senate Rejects CBN Proposal To Punish People For Ownership Of Forex by icon8: 2:58pm On Nov 22, 2016
The OP, and most of those commenting on this post are either semi-illiterates or too lazy to read. The report says the proposal was by the Nigerian Law Reform Commission, not the Central Bank of Nigeria! How then did CBN get to take the blame and bashing?
Re: Senate Rejects CBN Proposal To Punish People For Ownership Of Forex by dabossman(m): 4:23pm On Nov 22, 2016
Dee60:

At a point in time Italian Lira was like toilet paper. They had to make drastic laws to stem the influence of the mafia. They changed their currency, leaving a window for people to move cash into the banks. Their currency has now recovered fully. The Senate has not seen the proposed amendments. Nobody has seen a draft. They have just said it is in the works and the objective is to curtail the habit of keeping USD cash in Nigerian homes. Genuine workers and business people have USD cash in dom accounts, maybe they keep on hand as well. But the looters seem to have billions stored up. Is that ok for our country?

Indeed anyone should be allowed to keep his money in the currency he wants. We need to be liberal and to promote enterprise but not to encourage lawlessness and looting. Corruption is so endemic in Nigeria and its killing the nation.

When a patient is sick he must be ready to take bitter pills! Our country is like a patient in intensive care right now!

In the recent Nigerians were screaming to high heavens that they needed a benevolent dictator (like they had in Ghana - and mind you, Ghana is now rising and rising) and now, they are complaining and screaming, they dont want any draconian law. We are running in circles.

A sick patient that complains the pill is bitter and wont take it might find himself where he does not want.

May it not become too late for this nation.

I totally agree with you. And i am all for strict measures that can curb corrupt practices. But before coming forward into the public domain with news of such a policy, it is best that it is properly done and completed rather than just announcing that you are planning to start jailing people for keeping dollars at home for more than 30 days. That sends out a wrong signal and seems high-handed on face value. I've had some left over dollars (small money o) in my suit pocket for over a year now since my last trip. Should I be worried that I may get busted? There are people who come to do business or are on holidays. Must they put their dollars in the bank once they spend longer than a month in Nigeria?

Let them work on this policy, spell out the parameters clearly, then present it before the Senate and the public and we can all have a health debate based on facts not speculations.
Re: Senate Rejects CBN Proposal To Punish People For Ownership Of Forex by angelroz: 11:50am On Nov 23, 2016
[quote author=sekundosekundo post=51242826][/quote]

you are tired? you never see anyhting yet. no be you say u want be president.
Re: Senate Rejects CBN Proposal To Punish People For Ownership Of Forex by sekundosekundo: 8:27pm On Nov 23, 2016
angelroz:

you are tired? you never see anyhting yet. no be you say u want be president.

I don send am. Hope you get enough VASELINE

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Fatiha Of Fateema Ganduje And Abolaji Ajimobi Kicks Off This Weekend(pics) / 2019: Only God Can Say Who Wins Election ―buhari / #adeosungate: Drama, Intrigues That Preceded Kemi Adeosun’s Resignation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.