Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,111 members, 7,828,950 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 04:27 PM

How An Atheist Found God. A True Account From A Former Atheist - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / How An Atheist Found God. A True Account From A Former Atheist (481 Views)

4 Reasons I'm Considering Becoming An Atheist / Man Who Turned Against God, Became An Atheist Found God Again After Many Years / Mark Zuckerberg Is Not An Atheist? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

How An Atheist Found God. A True Account From A Former Atheist by Nobody: 10:56am On Nov 22, 2016
A personal account from an atheist who was convinced no god exists, and what facts led to God.
By Marilyn Adamson

Religious people seemed annoyed by my question, "How do you know that God exists?"

Perhaps they wondered about my motives. Or maybe they had no idea how to answer. Most of their responses were, "Well, you just know."

I wasn't trying to be difficult. But I certainly did not "just know." And I was hoping someone did!

After many months of this, I thought, "Here are the people who say they believe in God, but no one knows why!" It was like learning the truth about Santa Claus. It seemed obvious that God was completely fabricated. Maybe some people needed to believe in God but clearly there was no proof. No objective evidence. I came to the most stark conclusion...God did not actually exist.
I held this belief for years, not expecting it to ever change. But then I met someone who caused me to become interested in the
possibility of God. She was caring, kind, and very intelligent. It bothered me that someone that intelligent could believe in God.

She talked about God like he was her closest friend. She was convinced he deeply loved her. I knew her life well. Any concern she would take to God, trusting him to work it out or care for her in some way. She would tell me, quite candidly, that she was merely praying that God would act upon her concerns. For over a year, I regularly saw what seemed to be answers to her prayers. I watched her life through a myriad of circumstances, and her faith in God was unwavering.

So, I wanted to believe in God on one hand, because I admired her life and her love for others. But I couldn't believe in something against my intellect, against my better judgment. God did not exist. A nice idea, but that was all. Wanting something to be true, doesn't make it true.
During this time I was developing a personally built philosophy.

I tried something that I'm not sure many people do. Every few weeks, I would study a particular philosopher's take on life ...Nietzsche, Hume, Dostoevsky, Sartre, Plato, etc. and then try to apply it to my own life. I was looking for the perfect, workable philosophy for life. I found over and over, that either their philosophies seemed lacking, or were too impractical to implement. But I kept searching.

I was challenging my friend with every question that came to mind about God. I would find myself writing out questions late in the evening. This went on for well over a year. One day she handed me a book 1 that briefly answered questions like, is there a God; is Jesus God; what about the Bible. It presented facts. No comments like, "you have to believe."
Re: How An Atheist Found God. A True Account From A Former Atheist by foladara777(m): 11:01am On Nov 22, 2016
Another one??
Re: How An Atheist Found God. A True Account From A Former Atheist by Nobody: 11:15am On Nov 22, 2016
foladara777:
Another one??
Yes another one. This one gave her life to Jesus

Updates will soon be posted ..............

(1) (Reply)

Grace Testimony Nigeria : Family Relationships Restored, Life Transformed / Is It Compulsory To Share Foods Between Neighbours During Festive Season / Shock As Image Of 'jesus Christ' Is Found Inside A Tree

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.