Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,185 members, 7,818,599 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:34 PM

Did You Know IKEJA Is An Abbreviation? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Did You Know IKEJA Is An Abbreviation? (13007 Views)

Mention One Abbreviation You Still Don't Know The Meaning / What Is The Difference Between An Abbreviation And An Acronym? / The 'O' In The Abbreviation BODMAS Does Not Mean 'of'... See The Meaning (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Did You Know IKEJA Is An Abbreviation? by martyns303(m): 9:48pm On Nov 22, 2016
I guess like myself, most people never knew this.
Lalasticlala, seun mynd44 a little education for Nl please.

1 Like

Re: Did You Know IKEJA Is An Abbreviation? by Nutase: 10:15pm On Nov 22, 2016
shocked
Re: Did You Know IKEJA Is An Abbreviation? by INTERMAN: 10:20pm On Nov 22, 2016
wrong

1 Like

Re: Did You Know IKEJA Is An Abbreviation? by acenazt: 10:23pm On Nov 22, 2016
Just as Washington D.C.

1 Like

Re: Did You Know IKEJA Is An Abbreviation? by Nobody: 11:12pm On Nov 22, 2016
I doubt it. Someone edited the Wikipedia page but I guess it has been removed. I just checked the Wikipedia page and there is nothing like that. But Nigerian bloggers have already spread the story like wildfire, lol

5 Likes

Re: Did You Know IKEJA Is An Abbreviation? by iamphotoshoot(m): 11:30pm On Nov 22, 2016
Known this for about 4 years now.... undecided

2 Likes

Re: Did You Know IKEJA Is An Abbreviation? by profmsboi(m): 12:42am On Nov 23, 2016
Hmmmm
Re: Did You Know IKEJA Is An Abbreviation? by ibroh22(m): 1:02am On Nov 23, 2016
ok o
Re: Did You Know IKEJA Is An Abbreviation? by bimbod(m): 2:18am On Nov 23, 2016
No it is not
Re: Did You Know IKEJA Is An Abbreviation? by bimbod(m): 2:19am On Nov 23, 2016
No it is not undecided
Re: Did You Know IKEJA Is An Abbreviation? by Sanchez01: 3:36am On Nov 23, 2016
AnonyNymous:
I doubt it. Someone edited the Wikipedia page but I guess it has been removed. I just checked the Wikipedia page and there is nothing like that. But Nigerian bloggers have already spread the story like wildfire, lol
LOL... So you actually believed that? What is the relationship of Epe with core parts of Lagos? Epe that is on the outskirt and almost in Ogun state.

I haven't really thought about it before though but I know Alausa used to be 'Abúlé Jogunosinmi', which later changed to 'Abúlé Tapa' and much later to 'Alausa', due to the influx of the Hausas. Unfortunately, our poor record keeping culture would be a primary reason why the name Ikeja may not really move us since its origin is unknown to almost all Lagosians.

IKEJA is said to be named after an Awori hunter known as Akeja Onigorun. He was a successful hunter who was celebrated within the Awori clan of the Yoruba people, hence the present name Ikeja the state government seat of Lagos. This is just one of the many stories backing the origin however, no octogenarian or historian till tomorrow has been able to come on TV to explain the name. Again, it goes ahead to show how bad we are at keeping records as a people.

36 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Did You Know IKEJA Is An Abbreviation? by dreamwords: 4:51am On Nov 23, 2016
Sanchez01:

LOL... So actually believed that? What is the relationship of Epe with core parts of Lagos? Epe that is an outskirts and almost in Ogun state.

I haven't really thought about it before though but I know Alausa used to be 'Abúlé Jogunosinmi', which later changed to 'Abúlé Tapa' and much later to 'Alausa', due to the influx of the Hausas. Unfortunately, our poor record keeping culture would be a primary reason why the name Ikeja may not really move us since its origin is unknown to almost all Lagosians.

IKEJA is said to be named after an Awori hunter known as Akeja Onigorun. He was a successful hunter who was celebrated within the Awori clan of the Yoruba people, hence the present name Ikeja the state government seat of Lagos. This is just one of the many stories backing the origin however, no octogenarian or historian till tomorrow have been able to come on TV to explain the name. Again, it goes ahead to show how bad we are at keeping records as a people.
Awori is not yoruba

1 Like

Re: Did You Know IKEJA Is An Abbreviation? by Nobody: 5:40am On Nov 23, 2016
.... Wrong! Wiki says not

1 Like

Re: Did You Know IKEJA Is An Abbreviation? by Nobody: 5:43am On Nov 23, 2016
dreamwords:

Awori is not yoruba
undecided
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Awori_tribe

The Awori are a tribe of the Yoruba
people speaking a distinct dialect of the
Yoruba language.
Traditionally, Awori are found in Ogun
State and Lagos State, Nigeria. The
Awori people migrated from Ile Ife and
occupy present day Lagos state, with a
considerable section of the Awori clan
occupying areas within Ogun State as a
direct fall out of the creation of Ogun
State in 1976. Towns including Isheri, Ota,
Igbesa, Ilobi, Tigbo are all Awori
settlements within today's Ogun State in
Nigeria. The settlement of the Awori clan
preceded the establishment of Abeokuta
as an Egba kingdom in 1832, as Isheri,
the foremost Awori town within present
day Ogun State was settled in the 15th
century.

Be sure of what you say rather than ignorantly proclaiming facts undecided angry

32 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Did You Know IKEJA Is An Abbreviation? by dreamwords: 5:59am On Nov 23, 2016
SirWere:

undecided
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Awori_tribe

The Awori are a tribe of the Yoruba
people speaking a distinct dialect of the
Yoruba language.
Traditionally, Awori are found in Ogun
State and Lagos State, Nigeria. The
Awori people migrated from Ile Ife and
occupy present day Lagos state, with a
considerable section of the Awori clan
occupying areas within Ogun State as a
direct fall out of the creation of Ogun
State in 1976. Towns including Isheri, Ota,
Igbesa, Ilobi, Tigbo are all Awori
settlements within today's Ogun State in
Nigeria. The settlement of the Awori clan
preceded the establishment of Abeokuta
as an Egba kingdom in 1832, as Isheri,
the foremost Awori town within present
day Ogun State was settled in the 15th
century.

Be sure of what you say rather than ignorantly proclaiming facts undecided angry
Awori is not Yoruba, that's d fact

1 Like

Re: Did You Know IKEJA Is An Abbreviation? by Nobody: 6:02am On Nov 23, 2016
dreamwords:

Really Then, can you kindly tell us where they are from
And by us; I mean the academic world who make study of tribes and languages their domain.
I mean the Awori people themselves who identify as yoruba, speak yoruba and performs yoruba customs.

Speak up; we're listening.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Did You Know IKEJA Is An Abbreviation? by Nobody: 6:03am On Nov 23, 2016
But where is lalasticlala and Mynd44 sef?

Day don break for Akwuzu junction oh

1 Like

Re: Did You Know IKEJA Is An Abbreviation? by Sanchez01: 6:47am On Nov 23, 2016
dreamwords:

Awori is not yoruba
LOL... Says who? Aworis are Yorubas, but just like I said, there are so many mouth to mouth tales as to how Ikeja got its name. The one I shared is just one of many.

The origin of the Aworis could be traced to Ile Ifẹ̀. Although, they're regarded as a sub-ethnic group within the Yorùbá group, it does not make them lesser. Just so you know, Aworis are the first settlers in Lagos before any other ethnic or sub-ethnic groups. By the way, I hope you know the name 'Awori' in itself is a Yorùbá name, which, in English means 'The Plate Sank'?

4 Likes

Re: Did You Know IKEJA Is An Abbreviation? by ednut1(m): 6:50am On Nov 23, 2016
Illiteracy is a disease, pple just sit down and formulate rubbish. How does ikorodu and epe relate to dat area for fuks sake

8 Likes

Re: Did You Know IKEJA Is An Abbreviation? by martyns303(m): 6:55am On Nov 23, 2016
ednut1:
Illiteracy is a disease, pple just sit down and formulate rubbish. How does ikorodu and epe relate to dat area for fuks sake

The phrase "joint administration". But no, u would rather sit and spew trash when u don't have a contrary answer.

2 Likes

Re: Did You Know IKEJA Is An Abbreviation? by Sanchez01: 7:00am On Nov 23, 2016
ednut1:
My best guess is, the person who posted it;
1. Is not Yorùbá.
2. Does not really know and understand Lagos.
3. Has never been to Lagos to see the distance between Ikeja and Epe and Ikeja and Ikorodu.
4. Is not in any way aculturized to tell left from right.

I'm not Yorùbá but aculturation took over from birth, and it didn't take me split seconds to see that the post in itself is humour. Interestingly, most people, including myself, whoss lives revolve around Lagos, have never questioned the name 'Ikeja', which makes this all interesting.

3 Likes

Re: Did You Know IKEJA Is An Abbreviation? by Sanchez01: 7:05am On Nov 23, 2016
martyns303:

The phrase "joint administration". But no, u would rather sit and spew trash when u don't have a contrary answer.
And you're trying hard to explain cheesy

At what point in the history of Lagos has Epe ruled territories alongside Ikorodu? Most Epe folks would tell you that they're tied to Ogun state and not Lagos. The phrase 'joint administration' is a mockery to those who understand Lagos in their little way. There's no such thing as joint administration in Lagos, particularly not with Epe and Ikorodu over Ikeja.

2 Likes

Re: Did You Know IKEJA Is An Abbreviation? by jesuspikinjp(m): 7:07am On Nov 23, 2016
SirWere:
Really Then, can you kindly tell us where they are from
And by us; I mean the academic world who make study of tribes and languages their domain.
I mean the Awori people themselves who identify as yoruba, speak yoruba and performs yoruba customs.

Speak up; we're listening.

stop giving that flattie attention, the little boy only trying to turn the Topic to tribal bash.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Did You Know IKEJA Is An Abbreviation? by Sanchez01: 7:13am On Nov 23, 2016
dreamwords:

Two things, either you have a personal problem with the Aworis, or you really don't understand their origin as a people. The Aworis are Yorùbás. This is just the Gospel truth.

1. The Awori constitute the bulk of the indigenous population of seventeen, out of the twenty local government areas of Lagos State as at the year 2003. The exceptions being Epe, Ikorodu and Ibeju-Lekki with minimal Awori inhabitants.

2. Oro, Egungun, and Gelede festivals among the traditional Awori communities are celebrated as people celebrate modern Sallah and Christmas with indigenes trooping back home from far and near when dates are fixed. This tells you that most of the Yorùbá festivals, masquerades and cultures IN LAGOS are indeed the Aworis.

3. The Badagry area is important historically to Awori people because it is one of the first places to have had contact with the outside world. It was at Badagry town that Christianity was first preached in Nigeria in September 1842.

4. The english translation of “Awori” is “The Plate Sank”. This name was derived from the legend of a floating dish which Ogunfunminire (their ancestor) allegedly followed from Ile-Ife down to Isheri. It was the disappearance of the dish into a river that suggested settlement in the region.

5. The plate initially stopped near Olokemeji near present-day Abeokuta.After seventeen days, it began moving only to stop at Oke-Ata for another seventeen days. At the end of seventeen days, the plate began moving again, only to stop again on the southern outskirts of present-day Abeokuta, where it stayed for another seventeen days. The plate continued downriver, stopping again at Isheri, where it remained for a much longer period of time. After 289 days (17 x 17) the plate began moving again. The plate stopped finally at at Iddo in central Lagos, it whirled around in the water and sank to the bottom
http://enroute.ng/uncategorized/facts-about-the-awori-people/

Most of these information are not new to me. However, I needed to post this to let you know. I was privy to a handful of them in the late 90s. I'm sure tons of articles litter the cyber space now.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Did You Know IKEJA Is An Abbreviation? by olasmith10(m): 7:14am On Nov 23, 2016
quite insightful.. I got to a particular street in Ikeja adjacent to radio Bus stop.. I was shocked to see a village settings.. I mean mud houses right inside the core of Ikeja.. I can't remember the name of the street but its something " Jogunosimi"

1 Like

Re: Did You Know IKEJA Is An Abbreviation? by Nobody: 7:19am On Nov 23, 2016
dreamwords:
Awori is not yoruba
Says who?

Awori is so Yoruba and i know cos thats where i'm frm.

9 Likes

Re: Did You Know IKEJA Is An Abbreviation? by ednut1(m): 7:41am On Nov 23, 2016
martyns303:

bros be careful no such as joint admistration in colonial lagos oga

1 Like

Re: Did You Know IKEJA Is An Abbreviation? by Intrepid01(m): 7:49am On Nov 23, 2016
Sanchez01:

LOL... So you actually believed that? What is the relationship of Epe with core parts of Lagos? Epe that is on the outskirt and almost in Ogun state.

IKEJA is said to be named after an Awori hunter known as Akeja Onigorun. He was a successful hunter who was celebrated within the Awori clan of the Yoruba people, hence the present name Ikeja the state government seat of Lagos. This is just one of the many stories backing the origin however, no octogenarian or historian till tomorrow has been able to come on TV to explain the name. Again, it goes ahead to show how bad we are at keeping records as a people.

Bros I do not know of historical records you have stated but I doubt if you are right on the simple reason that you are wrong about your story on 'Alausa' ....Go to Lagos radio the right pronouncuation is "the owner of awusa' ....Awusa is that local fruit you eat and your mouth taste bitter if you drink water afterward....it has nothing to do with the Northerners AT ALL....

3 Likes

Re: Did You Know IKEJA Is An Abbreviation? by Chukazu: 7:51am On Nov 23, 2016
I blame our successive government for the sort of confusion, this is the result of not teaching history in schools and it is gonna get worse

2 Likes

Re: Did You Know IKEJA Is An Abbreviation? by martyns303(m): 8:01am On Nov 23, 2016
ednut1:
bros be careful no such as joint admistration in colonial lagos oga

And you know this because?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

House Of Reps Asks JAMB To Extend Validity Of UTME Results To Three Years / Nuhu Bamalli Poly Students Clash With Security Operatives In Zaria (pics) / LAGOS STATE POLYTECHNIC FORMS NOW AVAILABLE

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.