Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,788 members, 7,817,263 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:03 AM

5 Things I Learnt About Abeokuta (in pics): You Won’t Believe The 5th - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / 5 Things I Learnt About Abeokuta (in pics): You Won’t Believe The 5th (4361 Views)

Oba Of Benin's 5th Wife Celebrates Her Birthday With Beautiful Photos / Markets Shut Down In Abeokuta In Honour Of A Late King / Interesting Facts You May Not Know About Abeokuta (the Egbas) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

5 Things I Learnt About Abeokuta (in pics): You Won’t Believe The 5th by OBALORLA(m): 12:50pm On Nov 23, 2016
Straight to the point. I spent 3 nights in Ogun state, dwelt majorly in Abeokuta. And here are the 5 things I observed about this city.

You needn’t agree with this compilation but I have to let it out irrespective. If people till date still have reservations for the holy books, what exception does my list now require?

Quickly let’s run through them:

It’s the most developed part of Ogun

This is in terms of infrastructures like hospitals, schools (Ogun state has the highest number of tertiary institutions in Nigeria), roads and financial institutions.

The reason behind this isn’t farfetched; Abeokuta is the capital of the gateway state. While I toured the metropolis, I observed about a dozen skyscrapers like the ones in Lagos Island while close to another dozen were under construction. And with the rate Abeokuta is going, I really do not think they’d back down anytime soon because of all sports, wrestling seems to be the one they detest the most.

They are determined

Before traveling to Ogun state, I had a preconceived notion that only very few state capitals excluding of course Abeokuta can rub shoulders with Lagos in terms of determination to develop and progress. This notion however changed on my way to the historic centenary hall, when I had to give a special attention to the inscription on major infrastructures (especially roads and bridges) within the state. I noticed this words which blew my mind:

“Mission to rebuild Ogun state 2014.”

It’s a mission statement I think the state is working assiduously at achieving because I found it on almost all infrastructures in Abeokuta.

With the way things are going, ABK will in no time join greats like Ikeja, Calabar, port-harcourt and the rest.

Re: 5 Things I Learnt About Abeokuta (in pics): You Won’t Believe The 5th by OBALORLA(m): 12:53pm On Nov 23, 2016
Like LASTMA like TRACE

Though I felt there wasn’t any need for them since we really do not have as much crazy drivers in ABK like we do in Lagos.

The Ogun state traffic compliance and enforcement agency- Trace as they are popularly called. They use a butter coloured shirt on a green pant.

Smart is the way they operate but one deficiency attached to trace (according to one of the cab drivers I spoke with) is that some of their officials collect bribe just like their friends (LASTMA) in Lagos. *winks

Re: 5 Things I Learnt About Abeokuta (in pics): You Won’t Believe The 5th by OBALORLA(m): 12:55pm On Nov 23, 2016
Lafun is the traditional food

For the Ijebus, it is ifokore (water-yam porridge) and garri ijebju; but in Abeokuta, lafun is the in-thing.

Lafun is a fibrous powdery form of cassava similar to fufu in Nigeria. The method of production of lafun is different from that of fufu. In the traditional preparation, fresh cassava roots are cut into chunks and steeped for 3-4 days or until the roots become soft.

The fermented roots are peeled, broken up into small pieces, and sun dried on mats, flat rocks, cement floors, or the roofs of houses.

The dried pieces are milled into flour. Alternatively, chips are made directly from fresh roots, cut into chunks, and sun dried. Drying takes 2-4 days, depending on the weather.

Unlike fufu, the fibers in the retted root for lafun are dried along with the mash and later sieved out. Thus, lafun is coarser than fufu in texture. The flour is made into dough with boiling water before consumption.

When properly stored, it has a shelf-life of six months or more.

2 Likes

Re: 5 Things I Learnt About Abeokuta (in pics): You Won’t Believe The 5th by OBALORLA(m): 12:56pm On Nov 23, 2016
Abeokuta wakes up late

Here was what happened. I had planned to leave Abeokuta as early as 4am so I can connect to Lagos as early as possible, relax a bit before going to school to meet with my classmates for a class picnic scheduled to be staged in G12 bar Oniru. Yeah! I love flexing. But I got the shock of my life when I got prepared by 4:30am, woke Dare up and told him I was ready. He smiled and told me we won’t get any cab by that time. His reason? Ogun state was still asleep. I initially thought he was discouraging me because he needed more sleep or probably because he doesn’t want me to leave that early for security reasons. So I insisted that we set out.

To my dismay, we got to Onikolobo and everything was grave quiet. Even the crickets in Ogun state weren’t as vibrant as the ones known to me. Their voice was drowsy. It was obvious they too weren’t fully awake.

I was a bit disappointed because we both had to walk for like another 30 minutes after standing at Onikolobo for several minutes to get a bus destined for Lagos.

Re: 5 Things I Learnt About Abeokuta (in pics): You Won’t Believe The 5th by OBALORLA(m): 1:03pm On Nov 23, 2016
for the complete adventure of my trip (in pictures) to Ogun state, check www.nomadicnegro.com where I visited:

the historic centenary hall in Ake

the popular Olumo rock in Abeokuta and

the sacred Bilikisu Sungbo grave in Ijebu ode

while you do that, lemme rush to Badagry to bring to you the untold stories you've never heard about.

follow on IG for an instant followback on @nomadic_negro

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 5 Things I Learnt About Abeokuta (in pics): You Won’t Believe The 5th by AkinPhysicist: 1:56am On Nov 24, 2016
cool Great stuff cool

1 Like

Re: 5 Things I Learnt About Abeokuta (in pics): You Won’t Believe The 5th by Olu317(m): 5:39am On Nov 24, 2016
Great work you are doing. Definitely, you will be rewarded, no matter how challenging it may seems right now. Stay blessed and God's protection on you, if you don't mind my prayer. Some people here are atheist, so forgive me for if you did find my statement a bit weird. Enjoy your discovery.

2 Likes

Re: 5 Things I Learnt About Abeokuta (in pics): You Won’t Believe The 5th by OBALORLA(m): 5:51am On Nov 24, 2016
AkinPhysicist:
cool Great stuff cool
I'm glad u liked it Akinphysicist

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Things I Learnt About Abeokuta (in pics): You Won’t Believe The 5th by OBALORLA(m): 5:58am On Nov 24, 2016
Olu317:
Great work you are doing. Definitely, you will be rewarded, no matter how challenging it may seems right now. Stay blessed and God's protection on you, if you don't mind my prayer. Some people here are atheist, so forgive me for if you did find my statement a bit weird. Enjoy your discovery.

lemme start by saying Amen to your prayers. they mean so much to me.
I'm not an atheist even though I'm not religious either. but I know how important peoples comments are on nairaland. commenting is about the most difficult thing to do here. but for u to take out ur time to type all you have, I can't but just appreciate you.
thanks Olu317
Re: 5 Things I Learnt About Abeokuta (in pics): You Won’t Believe The 5th by oboy3(m): 9:31am On Nov 24, 2016
Do they shit in Nylon bags and shotput it into Bushes like other yoruba states?
Re: 5 Things I Learnt About Abeokuta (in pics): You Won’t Believe The 5th by OBALORLA(m): 10:47am On Nov 24, 2016
oboy3:
Do they shit in Nylon bags and shotput it into Bushes like other yoruba states?

lol
I saw nothing of such (at least all through my stay there).
Re: 5 Things I Learnt About Abeokuta (in pics): You Won’t Believe The 5th by oboy3(m): 10:52am On Nov 24, 2016
OBALORLA:

lol
I saw nothing of such (at least all through my stay there).
OK,thanks for the info
Re: 5 Things I Learnt About Abeokuta (in pics): You Won’t Believe The 5th by Electronzeez(m): 8:45pm On Nov 24, 2016
Great jobs ! cool. I wish that food was on my table right now grin
Re: 5 Things I Learnt About Abeokuta (in pics): You Won’t Believe The 5th by OBALORLA(m): 12:33am On Nov 25, 2016
Electronzeez:
Great jobs ! cool. I wish that food was on my table right now grin

lol @Electronzeez... maybe u'd need to travel down there

1 Like

Re: 5 Things I Learnt About Abeokuta (in pics): You Won’t Believe The 5th by omitooguns(m): 7:28am On Nov 26, 2016
Nice one.

it is true Abeokuta don't wake up early but they sleep early....by 9pm everywhere is empty :x

They love to make outrageous gain on goods they sell also...and they can exploit stranger... tell a bike man u r going to Kuto from Panseke (usually N50 )...they can take as high as N300 from a stranger.

They funniest part is their state anthem is ISEYA OMO OGUN ISE YA ....meaning It's Time to work or Work is Set to be done....but majority of d youths their lives in opposition to the Call of their anthem.

Another interest fact about Abeokuta and Ogun state as a whole is THE LAND IS FULL OF DIGNITARIES....eg..

1. EX PRESIDENT OLUSEGUN OBASANJO

2. EX CHIEF JUSTICE OF NIGERIA (I can't recall the name... was also from there)

3. D'BANJ

4. Current Finance minister ...KEMI ADEOSUN

5. Current Vice President...PROF OSIBANJO

6. The Old Movie Star ...IYA RAINBOW

7. WOLE SOYINKA

8. The KUTIs ...Fela anikulapo et. al

9. GBENGA ADEYINKA (The comedian)

10. KENNY OGUNGBE (I.e D1 the owner of KENNIS MUSIC).

I cant mention them all...they even wrote a book titled100 DIGNITARIES FROM OGUN STATE

but d thing is they are not developing most of their LGA....eg Ipokia, Abeokuta North, Odeda, etc.

2 Likes

Re: 5 Things I Learnt About Abeokuta (in pics): You Won’t Believe The 5th by OBALORLA(m): 9:19am On Nov 26, 2016
omitooguns:
Nice one.

it is true Abeokuta don't wake up early but they sleep early....by 9pm everywhere is empty :x

They love to make outrageous gain on goods they sell also...and they can exploit stranger... tell a bike man u r going to Kuto from Panseke (usually N50 )...they can take as high as N300 from a stranger.

They funniest part is their state anthem is ISEYA OMO OGUN ISE YA ....meaning It's Time to work or Work is Set to be done....but majority of d youths their lives in opposition to the Call of their anthem.

Another interest fact about Abeokuta and Ogun state as a whole is THE LAND IS FULL OF DIGNITARIES....eg..

1. EX PRESIDENT OLUSEGUN OBASANJO

2. EX CHIEF JUSTICE OF NIGERIA (I can't recall the name... was also from there)

3. D'BANJ

4. Current Finance minister ...KEMI ADEOSUN

5. Current Vice President...PROF OSIBANJO

6. The Old Movie Star ...IYA RAINBOW

7. WOLE SOYINKA

8. The KUTIs ...Fela anikulapo et. al

9. GBENGA ADEYINKA (The comedian)

10. KENNY OGUNGBE (I.e D1 the owner of KENNIS MUSIC).

I cant mention them all...they even wrote a book titled100 DIGNITARIES FROM OGUN STATE

but d thing is they are not developing most of their LGA....eg Ipokia, Abeokuta North, Odeda, etc.

omitooguns, I so wish this your is on my blog where the original article was curled from.
people will learn.

www.nomadicnegro.com/things-learnt-about-abeokuta/
Re: 5 Things I Learnt About Abeokuta (in pics): You Won’t Believe The 5th by omitooguns(m): 4:31pm On Nov 26, 2016
OBALORLA:

omitooguns, I so wish this your is on my blog where the original article was curled from.
people will learn.

www.nomadicnegro.com/things-learnt-about-abeokuta/

Fell free bro ...

I visited d page ...nice....I will place d same comment so d Ogun people can develop d vast land God blessed them with wink

modified: I commented but couldn't post.
Re: 5 Things I Learnt About Abeokuta (in pics): You Won’t Believe The 5th by OBALORLA(m): 4:49pm On Nov 26, 2016
omitooguns:

Fell free bro ...

I visited d page ...nice....I will place d same comment so d Ogun people can develop d vast land God blessed them with wink

so sorry about that. I'd sure alert u once I fix the issue.
thanks so much for your concern.

1 Like

Re: 5 Things I Learnt About Abeokuta (in pics): You Won’t Believe The 5th by OBALORLA(m): 9:24pm On Nov 29, 2016
omitooguns:

Fell free bro ...

its been fixed!
omitooguns, use your original browser instead of opera or others.
Re: 5 Things I Learnt About Abeokuta (in pics): You Won’t Believe The 5th by Cuddlebugie(f): 12:47am On Nov 30, 2016
You missed the big part, their stock in trade

EPE
Re: 5 Things I Learnt About Abeokuta (in pics): You Won’t Believe The 5th by OBALORLA(m): 3:30am On Nov 30, 2016
Cuddlebugie:
You missed the big part, their stock in trade

EPE

hahaha!!!
thanks for the reminder!
Re: 5 Things I Learnt About Abeokuta (in pics): You Won’t Believe The 5th by omofunaab(m): 12:20am On Dec 02, 2016
Actually you are correct @op about us.

But the thing is most people are up by 4am doing various chores but when it's 6.30am then you start seeing people on the streets . It's not because they are lazy or anything but because abeokuta is a calm city.

If you call a cab in abeokuta, the cab driver atimes will need to reverse and park beside you before you enter Another thing is if you enter a cab in abeokuta and the taxi driver called N50 as the cab fee.. Just remove N10 or N20 from it but mostly N10.

I enjoyed growing up in abeokuta, because the time i relocated to Lagos, i couldn't imagine myself growing up in Lagos.

In Lagos nobody tells you before you start walking fast but abeokuta you can still walk majestically on the road.

Abeokuta itself is not industrialized. Few places are commercial like oke ilewo, panseke, sapon, kuto, ibara,ita eko etc.

The method ogun state is using is to use industrialization to drive development to other local government hence you can't find much industries in abeokuta whereas nearby ewekoro, sango, Ota, igbesa, sagamu, agbara, mowe, ibafo etc has numerous industries which is helping the development of those areas.

Ogun state has four zones, 1:abeokuta (egbas) 2: ijebu ode (ijebus) 3: ilaro (yewa) 4: sagamu (remo)

1 Like

Re: 5 Things I Learnt About Abeokuta (in pics): You Won’t Believe The 5th by OBALORLA(m): 4:26am On Dec 02, 2016
omofunaab:
Actually you are correct @op about us.

But the thing is most people are up by 4am doing various chores but when it's 6.30am then you start seeing people on the streets . It's not because they are lazy or anything but because abeokuta is a calm city.

If you call a cab in abeokuta, the cab driver atimes will need to reverse and park beside you before you enter Another thing is if you enter a cab in abeokuta and the taxi driver called N50 as the cab fee.. Just remove N10 or N20 from it but mostly N10.

I enjoyed growing up in abeokuta, because the time i relocated to Lagos, i couldn't imagine myself growing up in Lagos.

In Lagos nobody tells you before you start walking fast but abeokuta you can still walk majestically on the road.

Abeokuta itself is not industrialized. Few places are commercial like oke ilewo, panseke, sapon, kuto, ibara,ita eko etc.

The method ogun state is using is to use industrialization to drive development to other local government hence you can't find much industries in abeokuta whereas nearby ewekoro, sango, Ota, igbesa, sagamu, agbara, mowe, ibafo etc has numerous industries which is helping the development of those areas.

Ogun state has four zones, 1:abeokuta (egbas) 2: ijebu ode (ijebus) 3: ilaro (yewa) 4: sagamu (remo)

whaoh! this is an exhustive and brilliant explanation.
please can you help me put this comment on my blog? the major aim is for the post to educate and inform people. please, i beg of you.
here is the link to the original post: http://www.nomadicnegro.com/things-learnt-about-abeokuta/

NB: do not use opera mini.
thanks a bunch!
Re: 5 Things I Learnt About Abeokuta (in pics): You Won’t Believe The 5th by omofunaab(m): 11:09am On Dec 02, 2016
OBALORLA:

whaoh! this is an exhustive and brilliant explanation.
please can you help me put this comment on my blog? the major aim is for the post to educate and inform people. please, i beg of you.
here is the link to the original post: http://www.nomadicnegro.com/things-learnt-about-abeokuta/

NB: do not use opera mini.
thanks a bunch!

Done

1 Like

Re: 5 Things I Learnt About Abeokuta (in pics): You Won’t Believe The 5th by OBALORLA(m): 11:21am On Dec 02, 2016
omofunaab:

Done
seen! god bless!

(1) (Reply)

Expatriates living In Nigeria / Nigerians Worship White People / 6 Yoruba Words You’ll Need To Survive In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.