Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,435 members, 7,812,296 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 11:19 AM

Chelsea Vs Manchester United: 1 - 0 (November 8 2009) - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Chelsea Vs Manchester United: 1 - 0 (November 8 2009) (19718 Views)

Poll: Who wins?

Chelsea: 49% (31 votes)
Man Utd: 39% (25 votes)
Draw: 11% (7 votes)
This poll has ended

Liverpool Vs Manchester United (1 - 2) On 22nd March 2015 / Southampton Vs Manchester United (1 - 2) On 8th December 2014 / Arsenal Vs Manchester United (1 - 2) On 22nd November 2014 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (19) (Reply) (Go Down)

Chelsea Vs Manchester United: 1 - 0 (November 8 2009) by Ibime(m): 11:32am On Nov 06, 2009
Venue: Stamford Bridge
Date: Sunday 8th November
Time: 4pm GMT, 5pm NT

Chelsea and Manchester United do battle on the back of high-scoring draws against Athletico Madrid and CSKA Moscow respectively.

The possible absence of Rio Ferdinand and Nemanja Vidic will have even the most intrepid of Red Devils fearing an evisceration at the hands of a Chelsea team who boast their full complement of stars with the return of John Obi Mikel to full fitness. With Didier Drogba, the Ivorian juggernaut, in scintillating form, United’s physiotherapists will have to work hard to ensure that Vidic in particular, is ready for Sunday’s meeting, as the supine performances of the Brown-Evans partnership portend an uncomfortable 90 minutes for United otherwise. Vidic seems to hold the Indian sign over Didier Drogba, having managed to emasculate the Ivorian on several previous occasions, the most famous being the UCL final in Moscow. However, Vidic has never faced a Didier Drogba in this kind of form and fitness, and many pundits would struggle to disagree with Carlo Ancelotti’s unequivocal appraisal of The Drog as the hottest striker in World football today.

Ancelotti will be wary of Chelsea’s favourites tag knowing the depth of resilience present in any United team. That much was evident in the clash against Arsenal at Old Trafford where Arsenal dominated proceedings exclusively, but left Old Trafford with the proverbial pizza on their face.  They say revenge is a dish best served cold and Chelsea will be hoping (in defiance of all culinary cliché’s), to give United a taste of their own peppersoup, having lost 3-0 in their last competitive encounter.

Chelsea can be expected to line-up with a 4-4-2 diamond, with Lampard, Essien and Ballack sureties to start in midfield, complemented at the top of the diamond by either one of Joe Cole or Deco. United will line up with a 4-4-2, although it is difficult to predict the composition of United’s midfield. Ferguson’s proclivity for rotation this season is enough to make even the tinkerman, Claudio Ranieri, blush in deference to his mastery of the art. Darren Fletcher is struggling for fitness and may miss the match, but United fans will be hoping that Anderson can provide some energy in midfield.

Finally, the idiom “quality over quantity” is a resounding theme at Old Trafford these days, as Nani, Owen and Valencia have struggled to fill the boots (and goal-quota) of Cristiano Ronaldo. Nani is short of confidence; and has been widely excoriated for his awry decision-making, whilst Michael Owen has underwhelmed. Valencia has also perplexed critics with the rigidity and linearity of his movement. The Ecuadorian winger looks like a robot on the right-side of midfield, and his unashamed refusal to use his left foot in any circumstance detracts from the fluidity of the United game. It goes without saying that United’s traditional wing-play superiority over Chelsea has been eroded with the sale of Ronaldo. Ronaldo was a player whose mere presence allowed his team to play 15-yards further up the pitch. Chelsea have never had a better opportunity to steal a march on United; and any positive result for the Red Devils must surely be greeted with unbridled elation in Manchester. However, Chelsea will do well to pay heed to the saying : Complacency is the forebear of disappointment.

Let the games begin. . . .

Possible absences:

Chelsea: None

United: Ferdinand, Vidic, Fletcher
Re: Chelsea Vs Manchester United: 1 - 0 (November 8 2009) by Borat1: 11:43am On Nov 06, 2009
Ibime:

However, Chelsea will do well to pay heed to the saying : Complacency is the forebear of disappointment.
Me thinks its a remote possibility chelsea will be complacent in this game.
This game is not just about staying top for chelsea, its about revenge

Chelsea to beat the Scumtwats by a two goal margin

Ibime get us a poll ASAP
Re: Chelsea Vs Manchester United: 1 - 0 (November 8 2009) by allboyz(m): 11:44am On Nov 06, 2009
i smell a 2 - 1 win for the chavs but i wld pray on Sunday morning for a 2 - 2 draw!
Re: Chelsea Vs Manchester United: 1 - 0 (November 8 2009) by bammy(m): 11:47am On Nov 06, 2009
what about ur OWN smell. . . .
Re: Chelsea Vs Manchester United: 1 - 0 (November 8 2009) by HNIC(m): 12:39pm On Nov 06, 2009
If Chelsea does not beat Manure on sunday, I doubt if they will have another easier game against the Mancs in the near future.
Looks/feels/sounds like a Chelsea win
BUT. . . . . . . . . .
I am praying for a draw!
come on Obertan, O'shea and Nani
Show the Chavs what you've got! wink
Re: Chelsea Vs Manchester United: 1 - 0 (November 8 2009) by slimshay(m): 1:39pm On Nov 06, 2009
^^^^ grin Obertan O'Shea and Nani, O ti tan, O shit and tani?
Re: Chelsea Vs Manchester United: 1 - 0 (November 8 2009) by Emperoh(m): 2:29pm On Nov 06, 2009
Waoh!!! Ibime you tried but. . . . . . .lets Madam Criz think what i think first then we'll know if this is one sided!! grin grin
Truth be told, i don't expect a win here. A draw is a luxury i wish for in this match!!
We have stuttering and bliping and Scousers taught us how its done to a team that not in form.
Chelsea will do worse. . . . .i just hope the defeat is not heavy!!!
Maybe 2-0 or something in that region!!!

But then, United can spring surprises. . . . . I just pray we take our chances when we get them.
Come on Red Devils. . . . We can do it!!!!
Re: Chelsea Vs Manchester United: 1 - 0 (November 8 2009) by Sauron1: 2:45pm On Nov 06, 2009
This is going to be a blockbuster!!!!

Chelsea V Man Utd. . . . . . .This match is cut n dried for Wazza.
He will make the Chelsea DEFENCE pay!!!!
Re: Chelsea Vs Manchester United: 1 - 0 (November 8 2009) by bandely(m): 2:51pm On Nov 06, 2009
I laugh in Yoruba.

Chelsea to destroy Manure

Chelsea 3 - 0 Man U
Re: Chelsea Vs Manchester United: 1 - 0 (November 8 2009) by Nobody: 3:12pm On Nov 06, 2009
A win for us.
Its our birth right.
Re: Chelsea Vs Manchester United: 1 - 0 (November 8 2009) by bammy(m): 3:34pm On Nov 06, 2009
For sure
Re: Chelsea Vs Manchester United: 1 - 0 (November 8 2009) by Cristalz(f): 3:37pm On Nov 06, 2009
@Emperoh
Yeah he did try, but from the scintillating adjectives he used in describing Chelsea and some Chelsea players, it's obvious which side of the fence hez leaning. grin

Ibime:

United will line up with a 4-4-2, although it is difficult to predict the composition of United’s midfield. Ferguson’s proclivity for rotation this season is enough to make even the tinkerman, Claudio Ranieri, blush in deference to his mastery of the art.

Hilarious. grin

Ibime:

Darren Fletcher is struggling for fitness and may miss the match, but United fans will be hoping that Anderson can provide some energy in midfield.

Fletcher played against CSKA Moscow. He is available, as well as Vidic and Berbatov.

Ibime:

Finally, the idiom “quality over quantity” is a resounding theme at Old Trafford these days, as Nani, Owen and Valencia have struggled to fill the boots (and goal-quota) of Cristiano Ronaldo. Nani is short of confidence; and has been widely excoriated for his awry decision-making, whilst Michael Owen has underwhelmed. Valencia has also perplexed critics with the rigidity and linearity of his movement. The Ecuadorian winger looks like a robot on the right-side of midfield, and his unashamed refusal to use his left foot in any circumstance detracts from the fluidity of the United game.

I disagree: Nani, Owen and Valencia haven't been struggling to fill Ronaldo's boots(and goal-quota).
They've been trying to create their own niches, not playing for the sake of Ronaldo-replacement. They stumble, but then, who doesn't?

Match will definitely be the game to watch.
Re: Chelsea Vs Manchester United: 1 - 0 (November 8 2009) by tkb417(m): 3:39pm On Nov 06, 2009
UTD to score first and of course the shaky UTD backline will cave in later

The fraility of Chelsea against good opposition will be exposed again by some sleek passing mvts from UTD

the game to end in 1-1 draw

Drogba to see red again tongue
Re: Chelsea Vs Manchester United: 1 - 0 (November 8 2009) by bammy(m): 3:46pm On Nov 06, 2009
Blind prediction grin
Re: Chelsea Vs Manchester United: 1 - 0 (November 8 2009) by tkb417(m): 3:51pm On Nov 06, 2009
sunday cometh soon

we shall see

i wonder what gives u people confidence
You want to play Manchester United and ure confident of winnin? u lots are funny creatures

ill be here on Monday to unleash mayhem on ur thread
Re: Chelsea Vs Manchester United: 1 - 0 (November 8 2009) by bammy(m): 3:56pm On Nov 06, 2009
Chelsea will be Ever-Blazing , too Hot for Man-ya , I cant wait. . . Anelka! Droggyyyyy! Lampard! ( Ferguson's Favorite Player in his career ).

Chelsea don turn Timaya , Manyu don blow ooooooooo tongue
Re: Chelsea Vs Manchester United: 1 - 0 (November 8 2009) by Sauron1: 6:15pm On Nov 06, 2009
tkb417:

sunday cometh soon

we shall see

You want to play Manchester United and ure confident of winnin? u lots are funny creatures

ill be here on Monday to unleash mayhem on your thread

Obertan will RAPE Chelsea. grin grin grin
Re: Chelsea Vs Manchester United: 1 - 0 (November 8 2009) by tayoccu(m): 6:49pm On Nov 06, 2009
the red scum will win this 3-2
Re: Chelsea Vs Manchester United: 1 - 0 (November 8 2009) by mykali(m): 7:26pm On Nov 06, 2009
tayoccu:

the red scum will win this 3-2

i laugh in Chun Li grin
Re: Chelsea Vs Manchester United: 1 - 0 (November 8 2009) by bandely(m): 8:43pm On Nov 06, 2009
~Sauron~:

Obertan will RAPE Chelsea. grin grin grin
You mean that Malaria head Obertan will score own goal right? tongue grin grin grin
Re: Chelsea Vs Manchester United: 1 - 0 (November 8 2009) by Ibime(m): 8:46pm On Nov 06, 2009
tkb417:

sunday cometh soon

we shall see

ill be here on Monday to unleash mayhem on your thread

Confidence without competence is delusion.

Emperoh:

Truth be told, i don't expect a win here. A draw is a luxury i wish for in this match!!

This is a more realistic expectation. I hope other scummies would see sense and adopt your outlook on things. Like I said, any positive result for United (even a draw) will be greeted with unbridled elation in Manchester.

Cristalz:

I disagree: Nani, Owen and Valencia haven't been struggling to fill Ronaldo's boots(and goal-quota).
They've been trying to create their own niches, not playing for the sake of Ronaldo-replacement. They stumble, but then, who doesn't?

I quite like the niches they are creating for themselves. Even 3rd place in the league is a niche. . . . and mark my words, Man Utd will finish no higher than Chelsea or Arsenal this season unless they embark on a spending spree in January.
Re: Chelsea Vs Manchester United: 1 - 0 (November 8 2009) by Cristalz(f): 8:57pm On Nov 06, 2009
I hear ya, T.B. Joshua. . .as long as you get my point that they are not trying to be Ronaldo-replacements.
Re: Chelsea Vs Manchester United: 1 - 0 (November 8 2009) by dayokanu(m): 10:48pm On Nov 06, 2009
Seems some Man U fans are already giving up where is the spirit of Roy Keane in y'all? Where is the arrogance the swagger of Schmeichel? In this type of game form flies out of the window and the only thing that matters is the pride of your jersey
As usual I am going against the crowd if majority supports chelsea to win, I am rooting for Man Utd.
Up scummies
Re: Chelsea Vs Manchester United: 1 - 0 (November 8 2009) by BinghiNya(m): 9:32am On Nov 07, 2009
Even if Chelsea lines up 11 messi's they won't beat United except if the fa wants them to like they did 2 years ago, when chelsea got a cheap penalty. A 2-1 win for United.
Re: Chelsea Vs Manchester United: 1 - 0 (November 8 2009) by Oxytrack: 12:38pm On Nov 07, 2009
Man United 3 Chelsea 1
Any one thinking that Vidic & Barby would not play should get a rethink cus i just got on phone with sir and he confirmed their status. find below the 4-4-2 line up.

Barbatov and Rooney

Nani, Anderson, Fletcha and Valencia

J. Oshea, Vidic, J. Evana and P. Evra

Edwin Vandersar

Sub
R. Giggs,
M. Owen,
M. Carrick,
Etc.

Up Manchester United (Red Army)
Re: Chelsea Vs Manchester United: 1 - 0 (November 8 2009) by saworoide: 12:42pm On Nov 07, 2009
Let them play draw. Good for Arsenal fans
Re: Chelsea Vs Manchester United: 1 - 0 (November 8 2009) by mukina2: 12:57pm On Nov 07, 2009
Ibime:

Possible absences:

Chelsea: None

United: Ferdinand, Vidic, Fletcher , Hargreaves
Hargreaves angry how dare you leave our Dokitor's asst's name

grin grin grin
Re: Chelsea Vs Manchester United: 1 - 0 (November 8 2009) by vikiviko(m): 1:48pm On Nov 07, 2009
With a win we are 5 points clear.
Re: Chelsea Vs Manchester United: 1 - 0 (November 8 2009) by jalether(m): 2:30pm On Nov 07, 2009
BinghiNya:

Even if Chelsea lines up 11 messi's they won't beat United except if the fa wants them to like they did 2 years ago, when chelsea got a cheap penalty. A 2-1 win for United.

The thing is we don't need 11 messi's, our current squad is capable of beating this united team quite comfortably
Re: Chelsea Vs Manchester United: 1 - 0 (November 8 2009) by jalether(m): 2:38pm On Nov 07, 2009
HNIC:

If Chelsea does not beat Manure on sunday, I doubt if they will have another easier game against the Mancs in the near future.
Looks/feels/sounds like a Chelsea win
BUT. . . . . . . . . .
I am praying for a draw!
come on Obertan, O'shea and Nani
Show the Chavs what you've got! wink

I have never considered THIS united team our main competitor right from the start of the season, the only team I fear in the EPL this season

based on the evidence on ground is Arsenal. wouldn't expect anything but a win for us on sunday.
Re: Chelsea Vs Manchester United: 1 - 0 (November 8 2009) by beck500(m): 2:40pm On Nov 07, 2009
Someone will be mocked for sure.
Re: Chelsea Vs Manchester United: 1 - 0 (November 8 2009) by chelseabmw(m): 2:41pm On Nov 07, 2009
chelsea to win 2-1

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (19) (Reply)

Leicester Vs Arsenal (2 - 5) On 26th September 2015 / Manchester United Vs Leicester City (1 - 0) On 14th September 2019 / Manchester City Vs Tottenham Hotspur (3 - 0) On 13th February 2021

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.