Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,255 members, 7,815,391 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:39 AM

I Feel Like Quitting, Pls Advice Me Before I Do Something Stupid - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / I Feel Like Quitting, Pls Advice Me Before I Do Something Stupid (2010 Views)

I Feel Cheated By This Company. Please Advise / Avoid These Phrases When You Are Quitting Your Job / Quitting My Lucrative Job For A Degree In Canada (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Feel Like Quitting, Pls Advice Me Before I Do Something Stupid by SirDavico(m): 8:24am On Nov 24, 2016
I'm a student of Delta state Polytechnic, Otefe-Oghara and I'm studying computer science (ND1).

I've been on NL for quite some time now, and I see people commenting that deaf/hard of hearing people can pursue any career the like.

Well, I'm hard of hearing, as a result of which I'm unable to hear my lecturers. I can't follow what they teach.

I feel like quiting and retaking JAMB for a less calculative programme like English and Literature. What do u think I should do? Pls no insults.
Thanks smiley
Re: I Feel Like Quitting, Pls Advice Me Before I Do Something Stupid by Emmerdotter: 8:26am On Nov 24, 2016
VACANCY!!!
TICKETERS are needed at a transport company.
A reputable transport company needs TICKETERS for immediate employment. Interested applicants MUST be resident within ASABA, DELTA state. Good oral and written communication skills is IMPORTANT. Kindly submit CVs with the subject ASABA TICKETER to emmerdotterrecruitment@gmail.com before 30th November, 2016
Re: I Feel Like Quitting, Pls Advice Me Before I Do Something Stupid by SuperSuave(m): 8:41am On Nov 24, 2016
What level are you? ND or HND? Why not move closer to sound students who can help you after the class instead of quitting. Come to think of it, ND or HND is just two years program each.

1 Like

Re: I Feel Like Quitting, Pls Advice Me Before I Do Something Stupid by SirDavico(m): 8:56am On Nov 24, 2016
SuperSuave:
What level are you? ND or HND? Why not move closer to sound students who can help you after the class instead of quitting. Come to think of it, ND or HND is just two years program each.

I'm In ND, year one (ND1)

They act as tho I'm a burden on them. And I don't like bothering others sad
Re: I Feel Like Quitting, Pls Advice Me Before I Do Something Stupid by oluwafreshkid(m): 9:26am On Nov 24, 2016
SirDavico:

When I was in school, unilorin, I had students like you. They were mostly in faculty of education.
This is because it requires less work and less technicalities. Also the school had a translator for them. A personal sign language person hired for each student on the bills of the school.
So I believe y should go to your dean or HOD, and let him understand your condition. He should come up with a good fix for you
Re: I Feel Like Quitting, Pls Advice Me Before I Do Something Stupid by amicable09(f): 10:53am On Nov 24, 2016
Emmerdotter:
VACANCY!!!
TICKETERS are needed at a transport company.
A reputable transport company needs TICKETERS for immediate employment. Interested applicants MUST be resident within ASABA, DELTA state. Good oral and written communication skills is IMPORTANT. Kindly submit CVs with the subject ASABA TICKETER to emmerdotterrecruitment@gmail.com before 30th November, 2016
Why in this world did you post this advert here!?
Sometimes I wonder how people behave. This is totally rude and disrespectful! A young man created a thread because he needs advice. He even pleaded for MATURE advice (no insults) I bet he knows your kind are on the loose that's why he had to say that.

Please, creating a thread is free.
Create yours and spam it with adverts rather than post irrelevancies when someone needs help.

No hard feelings.

3 Likes

Re: I Feel Like Quitting, Pls Advice Me Before I Do Something Stupid by SirDavico(m): 11:01am On Nov 24, 2016
oluwafreshkid:

When I was in school, unilorin, I had students like you. They were mostly in faculty of education.
This is because it requires less work and less technicalities. Also the school had a translator for them. A personal sign language person hired for each student on the bills of the school.
So I believe y should go to your dean or HOD, and let him understand your condition. He should come up with a good fix for you

I don't understand sign Languages sad
Re: I Feel Like Quitting, Pls Advice Me Before I Do Something Stupid by amicable09(f): 11:03am On Nov 24, 2016
Back to the matter, OP I don't think English and Literature will be as easy as you think. Lecturers will still do some talking while giving lectures and you will need to hear them.

Have you tried using hearing aids?
I think calculative courses should be easier for you than English. Except of course you have a flair for English and Literature already.

1 Like

Re: I Feel Like Quitting, Pls Advice Me Before I Do Something Stupid by wroskian(m): 12:41pm On Nov 24, 2016
amicable09:

Why in this world did you post this advert here!?
Sometimes I wonder how people behave. This is totally rude and disrespectful! A young man created a thread because he needs advice. He even pleaded for MATURE advice (no insults) I bet he knows your kind are on the loose that's why he had to say that.

Please, creating a thread is free.
Create yours and spam it with adverts rather than post irrelevancies when someone needs help.
No hard feelings.
grin grin
One bottle of chilled something for you my sister, some people are unrepentantly insensitive to the plight of others.

SirDavico, it is quite pathetic that our education system has failed to make provisions for students like you unlike what is obtainable in other climes.

My advice: Don't quit, I believe your passion for Computer Science made you opt for it in the first place; so, let determination meet that passion.

Since you are suffering from partial hearing loss, get a tape recorder to record the lectures for you to listen later and always ensure you get a seat directly in front of the lecturer whenever you have a class. Also, like someone earlier suggested, approach your HOD and explain your situation to him/her, something might just be done to assist you. CHEERS!!!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Feel Like Quitting, Pls Advice Me Before I Do Something Stupid by amicable09(f): 1:35pm On Nov 24, 2016
wroskian:

grin grin
One bottle of chilled something for you my sister, some people are unrepentantly insensitive to the plight of others.

SirDavico, it is quite pathetic that our education system has failed to make provisions for students like you unlike what is obtainable in other climes.

My advice: Don't quit, I believe your passion for Computer Science made you opt for it in the first place; so, let determination meet that passion.

Since you are suffering from partial hearing loss, get a tape recorder to record the lectures for you to listen later and always ensure you get a seat directly in front of the lecturer whenever you have a class. Also, like someone earlier suggested, approach your HOD and explain your situation to him/her, something might just be done to assist you. CHEERS!!!
100,000 likes to you for this sound advice you have offered. A tape recorder will do him tremendous good!

On another note, you and I should consider going into the educational sector together in the future grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Feel Like Quitting, Pls Advice Me Before I Do Something Stupid by wroskian(m): 2:03pm On Nov 24, 2016
amicable09:

100,000 likes to you for this sound advice you have offered. A tape recorder will do him tremendous good!

On another note, you and I should consider going into the educational sector together in the future grin
Thanks for the likes smiley

Going into the educational sector? Do you mean we should set up schools? Nice idea grin

Infact, from creche to university and the name shall be called WroskAmy Group of Schools cheesy cheesy. By that, we can make a bold statement in the educational sector smiley

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Feel Like Quitting, Pls Advice Me Before I Do Something Stupid by Emmaesty(f): 2:06pm On Nov 24, 2016
oluwafreshkid:

In my school, faculty of education students go for teaching practice but I don't advise that for him because he won't be able to hear his students well.

Op, you can try courses like Political Science, Crk, Sociology, psychology, history and the likes.
Re: I Feel Like Quitting, Pls Advice Me Before I Do Something Stupid by SirDavico(m): 2:08pm On Nov 24, 2016
amicable09:
Back to the matter, OP I don't think English and Literature will be as easy as you think. Lecturers will still do some talking while giving lectures and you will need to hear them.

Have you tried using hearing aids?
I think calculative courses should be easier for you than English. Except of course you have a flair for English and Literature already.

I've gone for hearing aids test. It didn't work.

I'm good at written English but not as good in Oral English.

Also, I'm not strong in Math
Re: I Feel Like Quitting, Pls Advice Me Before I Do Something Stupid by SirDavico(m): 2:21pm On Nov 24, 2016
wroskian:

grin grin

Thanks alot for this. A tape recorder. I'll try that out.

As for passion, My Passion lies in Literature (Becoming a Novelist)

But I opted for science in high sch because i felt it'd be more conducive for my condition in the work field.
Re: I Feel Like Quitting, Pls Advice Me Before I Do Something Stupid by amicable09(f): 2:49pm On Nov 24, 2016
SirDavico:

I'm good at written English but not as good in Oral English.

Also, I'm not strong in Math
Oh! Okay.
In that case go for what you love and are good at.

Develop your Oral English communication skills because it won't be nice after you've become an accomplished novelist, people start to doubt that you wrote a novel by yourself upon hearing you speak.

All the best as you switch to English Department.
Re: I Feel Like Quitting, Pls Advice Me Before I Do Something Stupid by LadyOmaDine(f): 2:58pm On Nov 24, 2016
There are lots and lots of hearing aids
Re: I Feel Like Quitting, Pls Advice Me Before I Do Something Stupid by SirDavico(m): 3:47pm On Nov 24, 2016
amicable09:

Oh! Okay.
In that case go for what you love and are good at.

Develop your Oral English communication skills because it won't be nice after you've become an accomplished novelist, people start to doubt that you wrote a novel by yourself upon hearing you speak.

All the best as you switch to English Department.

Thanks
Re: I Feel Like Quitting, Pls Advice Me Before I Do Something Stupid by SirDavico(m): 3:49pm On Nov 24, 2016
LadyOmaDine:
There are lots and lots of hearing aids

Yeah. But I tried just one type.

No Money sad
Re: I Feel Like Quitting, Pls Advice Me Before I Do Something Stupid by oluwafreshkid(m): 4:30pm On Nov 24, 2016
SirDavico:

I don't understand sign Languages sad
That's an essential for any person with hard of hearing
Re: I Feel Like Quitting, Pls Advice Me Before I Do Something Stupid by wroskian(m): 4:55pm On Nov 24, 2016
SirDavico:

Thanks a lot for this. A tape recorder. I'll try that out.
You are welcome and please try out the tape recorder.

As for passion, My Passion lies in Literature (Becoming a Novelist)
But I opted for science in high sch because i felt it'd be more conducive for my condition in the work field.
You opted for science because you thought it would be more conducive for your condition, now the same condition is standing in your way. Who says you can't become a novelist even as a computer scientist? Who says you won't struggle in another department if you decide to change? You can become successful either as a computer scientist or novelist, It all boils down to your mindset and the kind of information you feed on; don't allow your situation to limit you Bro, instead let it motivate you.

Do you know there were athletes with hearing impairments in Team USA at the last Rio Olympics? One of them is David Smith who in addition to playing volleyball has an engineering degree despite his severe hearing loss. Yes, the US is a more organized country that takes care of her citizens, but there are people in this same country without any form of disabilities who haven't achieved as much as this guy. So, pick yourself up and surround yourself with positive people. I wish you all the best.

I'm good at written English but not as good in Oral English. Also, I'm not strong in Math
The emboldened could be traced to your hearing impairment. You can get podcasts on oral English or recorded speech and practice with them, it will be of great assistance.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Feel Like Quitting, Pls Advice Me Before I Do Something Stupid by SuperSuave(m): 7:16pm On Nov 24, 2016
SirDavico:

I know how it feels bro. I'm in HND2 civil engineering and most times we have to go through some calculations repeatedly to get the logic. In my humble opinion I think the calculative course will be better than the oral ones but since you want to be a novelist I also think you should chase your dream. The tape recorder wroskian suggested will help you too. I just wish I had enough to help you with an hearing aid that works
Re: I Feel Like Quitting, Pls Advice Me Before I Do Something Stupid by SirDavico(m): 11:53am On Nov 25, 2016
My sincere thanks goes to u all for ur Useful advice. I've decided not to quit.

I'll complete my ND programme and then head for UI special sch for my Barchelor's in CSC., whilst also developing my writing career along the line.

Once more, thanks alot.

Cc Wroskian
Supersuave
Amicable09
et'al

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Feel Like Quitting, Pls Advice Me Before I Do Something Stupid by SirDavico(m): 12:03pm On Nov 25, 2016
oluwafreshkid:
That's an essential for any person with hard of hearing

I don't feel ok with it.
Re: I Feel Like Quitting, Pls Advice Me Before I Do Something Stupid by oluwafreshkid(m): 2:08pm On Nov 25, 2016
SirDavico:

I don't feel ok with it.
Means you're not comfortable with who you are.
I've got friends that attended Oyo special school for NCE to learn sign language and braille and they don't even have any impairment. Love life, love yourself.
Re: I Feel Like Quitting, Pls Advice Me Before I Do Something Stupid by wroskian(m): 4:08pm On Nov 25, 2016
SirDavico:
My sincere thanks goes to u all for ur Useful advice. I've decided not to quit.

I'll complete my ND programme and then head for UI special sch for my Barchelor's in CSC., whilst also developing my writing career along the line.

Once more, thanks alot.

Cc Wroski.an
Supers.uave
Amicab.le09
et'al
You are welcome Bro, I await your success story. smiley
Re: I Feel Like Quitting, Pls Advice Me Before I Do Something Stupid by SirDavico(m): 1:47am On Nov 26, 2016
oluwafreshkid:

Means you're not comfortable with who you are.
I've got friends that attended Oyo special school for NCE to learn sign language and braille and they don't even have any impairment. Love life, love yourself.

Wow
Re: I Feel Like Quitting, Pls Advice Me Before I Do Something Stupid by SirDavico(m): 1:49am On Nov 26, 2016
wroskian:
You are welcome Bro, I await your success story. smiley

smiley
Re: I Feel Like Quitting, Pls Advice Me Before I Do Something Stupid by Lexusgs430: 6:06am On Nov 26, 2016
SirDavico:
I'm a student of Delta state Polytechnic, Otefe-Oghara and I'm studying computer science (ND1).

I've been on NL for quite some time now, and I see people commenting that deaf/hard of hearing people can pursue any career the like.

Well, I'm hard of hearing, as a result of which I'm unable to hear my lecturers. I can't follow what they teach.

I feel like quiting and retaking JAMB for a less calculative programme like English and Literature. What do u think I should do? Pls no insults.
Thanks smiley

Have you informed your department of your special needs?
Re: I Feel Like Quitting, Pls Advice Me Before I Do Something Stupid by SirDavico(m): 6:00pm On Nov 26, 2016
Lexusgs430:

Have you informed your department of your special needs?

I'm not yet cleared and matriculated. So I don't have such priviledges at the moment.
Re: I Feel Like Quitting, Pls Advice Me Before I Do Something Stupid by Lexusgs430: 7:02pm On Nov 26, 2016
SirDavico:

I'm not yet cleared and matriculated. So I don't have such priviledges at the moment.

Best to go speak with them, and see what support is available.
Re: I Feel Like Quitting, Pls Advice Me Before I Do Something Stupid by SirDavico(m): 11:02pm On Nov 26, 2016
Lexusgs430:

Best to go speak with them, and see what support is available.

Ok. Thanks alot.

(1) (Reply)

What's The Next Step After Graduation? / Investment Research Analyst: Urgent! / How To Make Money Fast.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.