Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,327 members, 7,811,965 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 02:49 AM

Use Of Afonja To Describe The Yorubas On Nairaland Is Very Wrong - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Use Of Afonja To Describe The Yorubas On Nairaland Is Very Wrong (1069 Views)

Police To Employ Technology To Replace Use Of Weapons - Acting IGP / Photos Of Hausas Fleeing Ile-ife After Communal Clash With The Yorubas / Use Of Afonja To Describe The Yorubas On Nairaland Is Very Wrong (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Use Of Afonja To Describe The Yorubas On Nairaland Is Very Wrong by agborodun: 11:17am On Nov 24, 2016
I need to draw the attention of nairaland users to a mis-match code which seems to be gaining ground on nairaland in describing all yorubas.
This is very wrong as the name afonja has nothing to do with the name Yoruba.
This name could only be associated with ilorin and its an insult to use it to describe all yorubas..
This is not meant to cast aspersion on any tribe as am not a candidate of such.
My aim for this post is to use it as a correction fluid for those who lack knowledge of history.
I think seun need to stop this.
CC: Seun

1 Like

Re: Use Of Afonja To Describe The Yorubas On Nairaland Is Very Wrong by Israeljones(m): 11:30am On Nov 24, 2016
Mr op,, yu ursef need to understand something about this forum...the name 'Afonja' to them seems like a word they can use to gain an advantage and someone frustrated.. You and I know they r wrong about this.. but pls let dem continue... I see it as a way of promoting the yoruba history...

Pls,, let them continue,, they want to frustrate the yoruba race tru this mins... But we are happy they are helping us selling the yoruba heritage to the world...
They think they are taking advantage of the name to the yorubas disadvantage but they never knw its to their advantage...

There is no offence in someone calling anybody here AFONJA...
PLS, Mr Op, LET THEM CONTINUE OO..

They started with Yoruba.(even this one is not even offensive to say the least)
Now it is AFONJAgrin
Re: Use Of Afonja To Describe The Yorubas On Nairaland Is Very Wrong by sekundosekundo: 11:35am On Nov 24, 2016
agborodun:
I need to draw the attention of nairaland users to a mis-match code which seems to be gaining ground on nairaland in describing all yorubas.
This name could only be associated with ilorin and its an insult to use it to describe all yorubas..

You sounds like APC member, it's good to insult GEJ and bad to insult Buhari. You and your likes were calling them IPOB, UGADIANS, LOST TRIBE OF ISREAL, FLAT HEAEDS aka Igbos, UGU HAWKERS etc. Now they have decided to give you a baptism name (AFONJA) and you are complaining. Sorry, this is beyond Seun.

4 Likes

Re: Use Of Afonja To Describe The Yorubas On Nairaland Is Very Wrong by Boybrano(m): 11:38am On Nov 24, 2016
What does afonja mean? and yorubas also refer to we igbos as FLAT HEADS a.k.a Igbos. So it's a kinda do me i do you

1 Like

Re: Use Of Afonja To Describe The Yorubas On Nairaland Is Very Wrong by hummerwise(m): 11:40am On Nov 24, 2016
agborodun:
Bros there is nothing offensive in that name...
Its a just a misrepresentation referring to the yoruba race as Afonja... grincheesy
Like the man above me rightly said,, let them continue
because they wont stop,, untill the sensible ones among them start telling them to look for something else to frustrate the yorubas because if they think the name AFONJA is bin use to ridicule anyone,, is just a colossal miss..
I think ofenmanu is even more offensive cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Use Of Afonja To Describe The Yorubas On Nairaland Is Very Wrong by sekundosekundo: 11:41am On Nov 24, 2016
Boybrano:
What does afonja mean? and yorubas also refer to we igbos as FLAT HEADS. So it's a kinda do me i do you

God no go vex
Re: Use Of Afonja To Describe The Yorubas On Nairaland Is Very Wrong by Israeljones(m): 11:42am On Nov 24, 2016
Boybrano:
What does afonja mean? and yorubas also refer to we igbos as FLAT HEADS a.k.a Igbos. So it's a kinda do me i do you
What yu dont understand is that using afonja is not in anyway offensive...But Using the word cone head is even more provoking grin
Re: Use Of Afonja To Describe The Yorubas On Nairaland Is Very Wrong by Boybrano(m): 11:44am On Nov 24, 2016
Israeljones:

What yu dont understand is that using afonja is not in anyway offensive...But Using the word cone head is even more provoking grin
You see why nigeria is not progressing?
Re: Use Of Afonja To Describe The Yorubas On Nairaland Is Very Wrong by nellyelitz(m): 11:49am On Nov 24, 2016
So Afobja OP grin what should we use instead
Re: Use Of Afonja To Describe The Yorubas On Nairaland Is Very Wrong by agborodun: 12:54pm On Nov 24, 2016
The Ilorin Emirate is a traditional state based on the city of Ilorin in Kwara State, Nigeria. It is considered to be one of the Banza Bakwai, or copy-cats of the Hausa Kingdoms.

At the start of the 19th century Ilorin was a border town in the northeast of the Oyo Empire, with a mainly Yoruba population but with many Hausa and Fulani immigrants. It was the headquarters of an Oyo General, Afonja, who rebelled against the empire and helped bring about its collapse with the assistance of the Fulani.[1] The rebellion was powered by Nupe and Bornu Moslem slaves.[2] Afonja had been assisted by Salih Janta, also called Shehu Alimi, a leader of the local Fulani. In 1824 Afonja was assassinated and Alimi's son Abdusalami became Emir.[3] Ilorin became an emirate of the Sokoto Caliphate.[1]

For some time Ilorin was a major center of the slave trade. In the past slaves had mainly been sent north across the Sahara, but now they were being sent south via the Yoruba lands to the coast to supply demand from the USA, the West Indies, and Brazil. Slaves were taken from the Igbo lands to the east and from conquered Yoruba towns, as well as from areas further to the north, and were traded for cloth and other goods. Ilorin continued to expand southward until it was checked in the 1830s by the growing power of Ibadan, an Oyo successor state. The Ilorin cavalry were ineffective in the jungle to the south, and by the 1850s Ibadan had access to guns from European traders on the coast.[1] The capital was occupied by the Royal Niger Company in 1897 and its lands incorporated into the British colony of Northern Nigeria in 1900, although the emirate continued to perform ceremonial functions.[4)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ilorin_Emirate

1 Like

Re: Use Of Afonja To Describe The Yorubas On Nairaland Is Very Wrong by Nobody: 1:13pm On Nov 24, 2016
agborodun:
This is not meant to cast aspersion on any tribe as am not a candidate of such.
My aim for this post is to use it as a correction fluid for those who lack knowledge of history.
Sheybe Yoruba dey call Ibo Biafraudd too?
Re: Use Of Afonja To Describe The Yorubas On Nairaland Is Very Wrong by agborodun: 1:16pm On Nov 24, 2016
comshots:
Sheybe Yoruba dey call Ibo Biafra too?
Biafra is a name even ibos are proud of.
Re: Use Of Afonja To Describe The Yorubas On Nairaland Is Very Wrong by Nobody: 1:30pm On Nov 24, 2016
agborodun:

Biafra is a name even ibos are proud of.
I mean Biafrau.d.
Re: Use Of Afonja To Describe The Yorubas On Nairaland Is Very Wrong by KeyzEEto(m): 2:31pm On Nov 24, 2016
Lmfao cheesy
Afonja!! tongue tongue
Re: Use Of Afonja To Describe The Yorubas On Nairaland Is Very Wrong by agborodun: 2:37pm On Nov 24, 2016
comshots:
I mean Biafrau.d.
Whoever call Ibo Biafrau.d is himself a fraud.

(1) (Reply)

Gtbank Users Beware / Girls Run Mad, Become Sick Or Useless After We Use Them For Yahoo Plus -suspects / Uber Driver Ran Away With My Car

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.