Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,830 members, 7,810,191 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:55 PM

Nigerians Are Eating Too Much Rice! - Food (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Nigerians Are Eating Too Much Rice! (37625 Views)

Eating Too Much Of These 9 Nigerian Foods May Kill You / Why Does Nigeria Import So Much Rice? / Are Nigerians Eating Too Much Rice? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians Are Eating Too Much Rice! by hyperflex(m): 6:08pm On Dec 05, 2016
Please izzit your rice??
Re: Nigerians Are Eating Too Much Rice! by JosephYbholy(m): 6:10pm On Dec 05, 2016
Na beans and plantain be my bestie

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Are Eating Too Much Rice! by Nathan2016: 6:15pm On Dec 05, 2016
I cant back up facts when google is your friend
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yam_(vegetable)
But just in case, go down the link and see it
PapaBrowne:

Always back up claims like these with facts. You shouldn't just speak .

Rice is one of the most nutritious cabs.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Are Eating Too Much Rice! by Nobody: 6:16pm On Dec 05, 2016
Rice, i don't really like, i prefer beans.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Are Eating Too Much Rice! by Nobody: 6:16pm On Dec 05, 2016
dingbang:
African salad? wink don't tell me u don't like it?
lol. gimme na. as a student,i don't have much choice na.
Re: Nigerians Are Eating Too Much Rice! by 9ja4show: 6:16pm On Dec 05, 2016
There is no food in nigeria , when they say we have lots of food, they were refering to "plenty soup"

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Are Eating Too Much Rice! by supereagle(m): 6:17pm On Dec 05, 2016
A staple food in Nigeria now.
Re: Nigerians Are Eating Too Much Rice! by Onegai(f): 6:18pm On Dec 05, 2016
bettercreature:
Do you have alternative? It's the world not Nigeria alone

Eat rice like the Asians. It's a small part of a varied meal, chock-ful with vegetables and proteins. Nigerians eat it with fried tomato stew, as jollof, with a side of vegetables drenched in mayonnaise or with overfried vegetables as fried rice. Which is not as healthy as an Asian meal.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Are Eating Too Much Rice! by Laka2bor(m): 6:21pm On Dec 05, 2016
In Those Day, We Ate Rice Once In Festive Period. The Issue Is That Thus Day Majority Are Farmer And All Dis Happened In Rural Area, This Days Children Are Computer Age Breed. As For Me I Av Reduce Intake Of Rice, I Av Port To Yam

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Are Eating Too Much Rice! by onward4life(m): 6:26pm On Dec 05, 2016
Is nut ma 4th ooo

I can't afford ogbono .

1tin spoon of crayfish.

No need foe meat or fish

Because of the incumbent

1tin spoon of tin tomatoes

1 slice of Maggi and fresh onion.

Cook for 15mins

With 2pinch of salt

Serve with rubber plate or eat from the pot.

Thank you.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Are Eating Too Much Rice! by WomanOfRace(f): 6:27pm On Dec 05, 2016
I can eat rice a whole week without other food,even though i know that's not the right way for balance diet. Everywhere i go,at home,holiday ,there is always issue of my addiction to rice. if i don't have it twice a week,i will feel i've been eating nothing.

I'm not a kid o,but if there is no sunday rice....then that whole Sunday will look like a dull Monday to me.
Re: Nigerians Are Eating Too Much Rice! by kidco: 6:29pm On Dec 05, 2016
True fact on the diet side
... in our country over the centuries had to see other source as deputies to it
In this present recession LOL... it is unique itself own lord no matter the price increase
Onegai:

Eat rice like the Asians. It's a small part of a varied meal, chock-ful with vegetables and proteins. Nigerians eat it with fried tomato stew, as jollof, with a side of vegetables drenched in mayonnaise or with overfried vegetables as fried rice. Which is not as healthy as an Asian meal.
Re: Nigerians Are Eating Too Much Rice! by rhektor(m): 6:30pm On Dec 05, 2016
Really op? Hmmmmmmmmm whatever we can't afford we always find a way to make it look bad. Naija I dey hail O cheesy grin cheesy grin grin cheesy grin cheesy grin

I remember when I was on secondary school beans was very costly, most people here in Lagos couldn't afford it, the next thing we were hearing is that people eat beans and die thus make most people to leave beans and subsequently the price crashed. I see the op trying to use the power of media to bring down the price of rice.
But wait Wetin concerne self? undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Are Eating Too Much Rice! by dingbang(m): 6:36pm On Dec 05, 2016
ginagold01:
lol. gimme na. as a student,i don't have much choice na.
alryt... whch school u at?
Re: Nigerians Are Eating Too Much Rice! by dingbang(m): 6:39pm On Dec 05, 2016
WomanOfRace:
I can eat rice a whole week without other food,even though i know that's not the right way for balance diet. Everywhere i go,at home,holiday ,there is always issue of my addiction to rice. if i don't have it twice a week,i will feel i've been eating nothing.

I'm not a kid o,but if there is no sunday rice....then that whole Sunday will look like a dull Monday to me.

a cup of rice is 130. Don't u think u could help someone out there who hasn't eaten one square meal... wink

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Are Eating Too Much Rice! by samyot(m): 6:42pm On Dec 05, 2016
But why...
Y will op tlk about rice lk dt n still post those wonderfully designed and lavish cooked rice samples. What easier way can dt b to make me wanna eat rice tonight

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Are Eating Too Much Rice! by mikkypel(m): 6:43pm On Dec 05, 2016
The only balanced diet in Nigeria is rice
Re: Nigerians Are Eating Too Much Rice! by seyoops4u: 6:46pm On Dec 05, 2016
Tallesty1:
I can go months without eating rice

well, u might b right.

I can see that from ur moniker that you like beans....

i now put it to u that u cant go a day without beans, I lie ?

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Are Eating Too Much Rice! by Nobody: 6:47pm On Dec 05, 2016
Very true , but nothing concern me and rice. Put love-portion for me inside rice, you won't get me.
Put it inside fufu and a well cooked afang/okazi soup...I'll follow you up grin.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians Are Eating Too Much Rice! by Agimor(m): 6:50pm On Dec 05, 2016
Personally I think it is because of the various way of preparing the diet.. If you don't go for fried, jolof , coconut, barga, stew and lastly palm oil.. The aforementioned are the reasons for high consumption of rice among Nigeria's.
Re: Nigerians Are Eating Too Much Rice! by Slimpotter(m): 6:52pm On Dec 05, 2016
Acidosis:
It has a longer shelf life

You expect celebrants and caterers to make beans, so half way to the event centre, it begin to ferment?

Same thing with yam, you can't store it for too long.
Beans dey ferment again..... hw?
Re: Nigerians Are Eating Too Much Rice! by loomer: 6:58pm On Dec 05, 2016
Nathan2016:
Thats true. Rice is not even a good diet. Especially without the meat

Its just carbohydrates.

I think Nigeria should look into yam production, potato production, Cassava/garri - other ways to eat it like flakes, plantain. etc.. these are good nutritious carbohydrates .. more than rice..

Most of the rice we eat here have been well synthesised and in that process , lose it natural format. since i reduce the consumption of rice. my body weight have reduced and also i hardly feel heavy....Rice is actually a bad idea for constant food consumption

Rice n carbohydrates while yam na protein abi?

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Are Eating Too Much Rice! by arabianights: 6:59pm On Dec 05, 2016
Nathan2016:

Its just carbohydrates.

I think Nigeria should look into yam production, potato production, Cassava/garri - other ways to eat it like flakes, plantain. etc.. these are good nutritious carbohydrates .. more than rice..

Most of the rice we eat here have been well synthesised and in that process , lose it natural format. since i reduce the consumption of rice. my body weight have reduced and also i hardly feel heavy....Rice is actually a bad idea for constant food consumption
you should be making reference to a balanced diet as all that you are mentioning is carbohydrates and that is what should be taken to a minimal.
Re: Nigerians Are Eating Too Much Rice! by Nobody: 7:02pm On Dec 05, 2016
lexiconkabir:
Rice, i don't really like, i prefer beans.

Guy commot. Rice sweet especially with Edikaikong soup (How I wish you go make dah soup for we. Chai)
Re: Nigerians Are Eating Too Much Rice! by DedeNkem: 7:07pm On Dec 05, 2016
Nathan2016:

Its just carbohydrates.

Serving size: 158g
Carb: 45g
Fiber: 1g
Protein: 4g
Calcium: 2%
Iron: 11%

Rice is not that bad. Consumption size is what matters.
Re: Nigerians Are Eating Too Much Rice! by WomanOfRace(f): 7:12pm On Dec 05, 2016
dingbang:
a cup of rice is 130. Don't u think u could help someone out there who hasn't eaten one square meal... wink

I wish i could but i can't give out what is not mine to give; I do have their interest at heart and there are many ways to help a poor man,trust me.
Re: Nigerians Are Eating Too Much Rice! by Btruth: 7:24pm On Dec 05, 2016
Dreamwaker:
So what should we eat? We don't eat as much rice as the Asians.
Don't mind Nigerians, as if other foods are cheap too. For now in Niger, rice & garri is considered to be the most eat food, and both of them are expensive. Even our local rice that was suppose to compliments the hard time is as expensive as the imported one.

This really show our government hasn't really got it right at all.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Are Eating Too Much Rice! by emwye(m): 7:28pm On Dec 05, 2016
realbitez:
Seems we have become too lazy to make our local delicacy, which are more nutritious than this rice and indomine, this generation is so used to. Our mothers too time to prepare meals, but this generation of your people prefer fast food, that requires little or nothing to prepare. Lost generation

Says who? What exactly were our ancestors eating that was nutritious? Fufu, overcooked vegetable soup with beacoup palm oil ? Please tell me why scurvy, kwashiorkor and other diseases indicating mal-nourishment have declined? Stick to facts. Older generations always like to knock the advances of the modern age without facts to prove it. I am tired of these types of talk.
Re: Nigerians Are Eating Too Much Rice! by kayo80(m): 7:39pm On Dec 05, 2016
dingbang:
In those days, in the time of our forefathers, Chinua Achebe and Co, Rice was served once in a blue moon, especially on days like Christmas. I believe the elderly ones reading this can bear witness to this fact.. as the years went by, it gradually began to be served only on special occasions and during Sundays (Sunday rice).. but nowadays, In every home, it's become the main staple food. If you ain't eating rice then you are considered a poor man! People are very willing to eat rice throughout the day as long as it begins with R and ends with E.

During an economics lecture, Demand and supply could best describe the reason why Rice remains the number one food in the country, but the question still remains, are there no substitutes to this scarce good called rice? Why must each and every Nigerian base their diet on Rice? I'm pretty sure that those abroad hardly depend on this commodity for survival, why must we make rice importation a do or die affair?

We are eating way too much rice and our dependence on this good has made it so valuable, if not checked, a bag of rice may rise further until it gets so expensive.

So I put this forth to you, can you go a week without eating Rice? What other substitutes to this commodity would you prefer?

I hate rice...I Can't remember the last time i ate rice. I love beans and bread, beans and dodo, fufu and ela alasepo, indomie and egg, boiled yam and fried egg... etc.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Are Eating Too Much Rice! by pannyman(m): 7:41pm On Dec 05, 2016
hardon1:
contrary to what this poster thinks. Not eating rice doesnt make u a poor man o. Infact, one of the reason people go for it is because its cheap(prior to the recent hike) and easy to prepare. So dont think rice is a rich mans food. If u eat at restuarants u will know that rice is cheap compared to a plate of garri,fufu,poundy,amala etc together with soup

people also use it in ceremonies because it is generally acceptable and most especally cheaper compare to when u decide to prepare something like pounded yam, fufu, garri etc + egusi soup for a guests

You're 100 per cent correct! It's actually cheap food for the masses.
Re: Nigerians Are Eating Too Much Rice! by Dramadiddy(m): 7:43pm On Dec 05, 2016
dingbang:
so many other meals we havnt even explored. When was the last time u visited the food section?
yeah but everyone seems to know only the ones I mentioned
Re: Nigerians Are Eating Too Much Rice! by Nobody: 7:47pm On Dec 05, 2016
dingbang:
alryt... whch school u at?
unical. expecting you o.girls are not smiling.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

7 Surprising Things You Could Do With Eggs / How To Prepare Coconut Bread (with Pictures) / The Jollof And Fried Rice With Moi-Moi I Bought ₦4100.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.