Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,819 members, 7,817,391 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:25 AM

Nigerians Are Eating Too Much Rice! - Food (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Nigerians Are Eating Too Much Rice! (37693 Views)

Eating Too Much Of These 9 Nigerian Foods May Kill You / Why Does Nigeria Import So Much Rice? / Are Nigerians Eating Too Much Rice? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians Are Eating Too Much Rice! by 2kaythuks(m): 12:03am On Dec 06, 2016
bettercreature:
Do you have alternative? It's the world not Nigeria alone
hw many countries u dn reach for dis world?? Abi na u b world minista for rice consumption
Re: Nigerians Are Eating Too Much Rice! by bettercreature(m): 12:14am On Dec 06, 2016
2kaythuks:
hw many countries u dn reach for dis world?? Abi na u b world minista for rice consumption
Maybe you dont know 2/3 of the world are eating rice every day infact scientist says more rice are needed to satisfy the world
Re: Nigerians Are Eating Too Much Rice! by Nobody: 12:17am On Dec 06, 2016
piagetskinner:
In Nigeria we consume majorly carbohydrates and protein...nothing more than that...how do u get foods rich in other vitamin sources...

Every meal is meant to be combo packed with high nutritional value...but not naija

Rice and stew + fish in the morning, Egba and okro in the afternoon, semo+ogbono/egusi at night

Haba!!!
if u come eat eba and okro soup in the afternoon na where u go come see space put semo and ogbono for ur bellecheesy.especially if d person consume three large bowls of the eba at a sitting like one of my pally.
Re: Nigerians Are Eating Too Much Rice! by AreaFada2: 1:35am On Dec 06, 2016
oluwamitomisin:
Left to me, your argument/postulation is invalid.

Wheat was once the food of the world, Rice has easily replaced it. The world can't do without rice until we find a replacement. And I am sure that is not in potatoes or yam. Our focus should be having a balanced diet in whatever meal course we choose.

I do not know how true that is.

Considering that Asia has had the World's largest population for millennia.

Rice has been the most popular food there. Asians eat far more rice.

In most parts of Nigeria, rice has been locally grown for centuries. I still grew up to meet dozens of bags of rice stored for eating from yearly harvest. When we visited the village as kids. Some still manually processed then.

Rice today is easy too cook, in various ways and is "sexy" food too. cheesy grin
Re: Nigerians Are Eating Too Much Rice! by Nobody: 5:57am On Dec 06, 2016
Come to Malaysia and see watin too much rice is
Re: Nigerians Are Eating Too Much Rice! by davidif: 6:13am On Dec 06, 2016
Great thread and great question.
Re: Nigerians Are Eating Too Much Rice! by John360: 6:23am On Dec 06, 2016
Every body should go in farming.. ....lolz

Re: Nigerians Are Eating Too Much Rice! by kingPhidel(m): 8:39am On Dec 06, 2016
Are you alright ?.. how can i go a week without eating rice. No...
Dont try this at home...
Re: Nigerians Are Eating Too Much Rice! by Boyooosa(m): 8:56am On Dec 06, 2016
@op, your discourse here is not worth wasting MB. What you should be thinking of is how we can increase indigenous productivity. It will help grow our economy and still give self satisfaction.... every country / people has its own favourite. Dont blame Dog for loving bones, it is natural!
Re: Nigerians Are Eating Too Much Rice! by Nobody: 10:46am On Dec 06, 2016
Op those rice pics you posted have increased my appetite for rice. Off to buy coconut powder...
Re: Nigerians Are Eating Too Much Rice! by eflintsone(m): 11:10am On Dec 06, 2016
I swear me don taya for rice ... Go here na rice go der na rice
Re: Nigerians Are Eating Too Much Rice! by buchibrand(m): 11:13am On Dec 06, 2016
See the kind rice pics you posted yet you are advising Nairalanders not to eat rice. I was expecting you to attach the pics of your suggested alternatives, but you have succeeded in increasing our appetite for this special delicacy.

My brother the best way to kill Poverty is not to Reduce your expenditure or food consumption, it is just to Increase your Income. And this is the puzzle our President and his Economic team (including the CBN government) are sweating to solve.

No rice alternative for now in Nigeria.
1. Yam? = very expensive and doesn't appeal to many.
2. Beans? = also same price with rice, yet it is a poison to many.
3. Cocoyam? = out of it.
4. Potato? = out of it.
5. Noodles
Re: Nigerians Are Eating Too Much Rice! by kunlinton: 11:30am On Dec 06, 2016
we serve rice for breakfast every blessed day for over 2 years now thereafter, I'll still be interested in having it for lunch at school. the obvious truth is, Nigeria is not the only country consuming rice but the question is, it was never like this before. demand have shifted as well as taste. "nah only God fit save us"
Re: Nigerians Are Eating Too Much Rice! by oluwamitomisin: 4:24pm On Dec 07, 2016
Yes, Asia eats more rice. My 2 years stay in South East Asia was when I ate the most rice in my life. No wonder why we have 'Thailand Rice" because for every free space, rice is grown in that part of the country I lived. My idea that wheat was once the world's staple food is coming from wheat abundance in the Middle East- and that region is probably the oldest known place in the world. Also consider that Europeans eat much bread than rice.

AreaFada2:

I do not know how true that is.

Considering that Asia has had the World's largest population for millennia.

Rice has been the most popular food there. Asians eat far more rice.

In most parts of Nigeria, rice has been locally grown for centuries. I still grew up to meet dozens of bags of rice stored for eating from yearly harvest. When we visited the village as kids. Some still manually processed then.

Rice today is easy too cook, in various way and is "sexy" food too. cheesy grin
Re: Nigerians Are Eating Too Much Rice! by AreaFada2: 5:08pm On Dec 07, 2016
oluwamitomisin:
Yes, Asia eats more rice. My 2 years stay in South East Asia was when I ate the most rice in my life. No wonder why we have 'Thailand Rice" because for every free space, rice is grown in that part of the country I lived. [b]My idea that wheat was once the world's staple food is coming from wheat abundance in the Middle East- and that region is probably the oldest known place in the world. [/b]Also consider that Europeans eat much bread than rice.

I get your drift.
But middle East is not the oldest place. Even Western scientists have long given up that idea.
Africa is.

All the oldest human fossils have been found in Eastern/Central Africa despite more extensive excavations in Europe & Middle East.
Genetic studies also clearly show that original African people are ancestors of modern humans. Spread of humans was from Africa outwards.

The creation story of humans 7000 years ago in the Middle East holds no water. In fact the story probably wasn't meant to be literally as we interpret it today.
Re: Nigerians Are Eating Too Much Rice! by oluwamitomisin: 9:48pm On Dec 07, 2016
AreaFada2:

I get your drift.
But middle East is not the oldest place. Even Western scientists have long given up that idea.
Africa is.

All the oldest human fossils have been found in Eastern/Central Africa despite more extensive excavations in Europe & Middle East.
Genetic studies also clearly show that original African people are ancestors of modern humans. Spread of humans was from Africa outwards.

The creation story of humans 7000 years ago in the Middle East holds no water. In fact the story probably wasn't meant to be literally as we interpret it today.

You probably know more about that than many of us did. Next life, tell our ancestors to document their existence. And even at that, what was the staple food of the early man?
Re: Nigerians Are Eating Too Much Rice! by MATEX30: 2:09pm On Jul 14, 2017
yeah, It is True, Very True that Nigerians love and over love eating Rice, but it is not just rice anymore, infact it is Now Rice and Chicken, the over love it!

And i am so glad, you mentioned the Sunday Rice culture, which i strongly believe, is where the whole ideology came from!

I put up some facts about nigerian love eating Rice and Chicken here, check them out! - http://dunamisblog.com/nigerians-love-rice-chicken/

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

How To Prepare Coconut Bread (with Pictures) / The Jollof And Fried Rice With Moi-Moi I Bought ₦4100. / See The Yam Tuber I Bought 3k Yesterday Afternoon.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.