Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,741 members, 7,827,733 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 03:59 PM

The First School Of Psychotherapy In Africa Opened In Okija Anambra State - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The First School Of Psychotherapy In Africa Opened In Okija Anambra State (1100 Views)

How Can Someone Who Lost His First School Leaving Certificate Get It Back? / First School Leaving Certificate And Testimonial / What To Do If You Lost Your First School Leaving Certificate. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The First School Of Psychotherapy In Africa Opened In Okija Anambra State by chubaba22(m): 7:30pm On Nov 25, 2016
On 23rd day of November 2016 a big progress was made in Psychology as a field of study in Nigeria. It was the day the school of Psychotherapy and Health Science was opened in Okija Anambra State.
Psychotherapy is a general term for treating mental health problems by talking with a psychiatrist, psychologist or other mental health provider.
During psychotherapy, you learn about your condition and your moods, feelings, thoughts and behaviors. Psychotherapy helps you learn how to take control of your life and respond to challenging situations with healthy coping skills and a person trained for this is called a Psychotherapist.
Psychotherapy as a discipline in Psychology has been ignored in Nigeria, and for about two decades (since 1996) experts in this field have been working tirelessly to bring it to limelight considering its importance to Psychology and to Nigerians at large. It is no longer news that about 21 million Nigerians suffer from various degrees of mental illness which most times result to total breakdown of such persons e.g. madness, severe drug dependence, suicide etc. These persons if treated at early stage using Psychotherapy by experts get to live normal life again, but the case of Nigeria and most African nations, there are no enough competent hands(Psychotherapist) to handle such issues. Most Psychotherapists we have produced as a nation over the years have ended up in classrooms.
So in a bid to tackle this challenge by training students at post graduate level in application and practice of Psychotherapy, Prof. SN Madu established the School of Psychotherapy and Health Science in Okija. It is also important to know that this school is affiliated to Sigmaud Fraud University Vienna and it will have its lecturers in the school.
The opening ceremony was well attended by Professors of Psychotherapy from around Africa and beyond.
One good news about this school to Nigeria is that we will have less people ending up in Yaba left, and many mentally ill people in our streets, because competent hands will be trained here to handle those issues at early stage.
Please Seun, lala all my moderators in the house, help me push this piece go front page, it will do alot of good to many people

Re: The First School Of Psychotherapy In Africa Opened In Okija Anambra State by fav444(f): 7:35pm On Nov 25, 2016
op pls add more pix na. I was pained to have missed that conference.
God bless Prof. S. S.M and Dr. Mrs. B. N. M

1 Like

Re: The First School Of Psychotherapy In Africa Opened In Okija Anambra State by Emescot(m): 7:36pm On Nov 25, 2016
School of psychotherapy abi Psychiatric hospital... Either ways #AnambraRocks
Re: The First School Of Psychotherapy In Africa Opened In Okija Anambra State by chubaba22(m): 9:53pm On Nov 25, 2016
More pics

I couldn't snap most of the dignitaries, I will say cos of inferiority complex. I was just too scared seeing those that authored almost all the textbooks i've bn reading from my yr 1

(1) (Reply)

Meet The World's Heaviest Child Who Weighs The Same As Six Boys His Age / Jambite From Zaria Design And Sucessfully Flies A Drone / Meet Daniel,1st Nigerian To Be President Student Union,bournemouth University

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.