Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,228 members, 7,815,293 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:18 AM

Between Mtn And Glo 3gs. - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Between Mtn And Glo 3gs. (1056 Views)

Affordable Iphone 3gs 8gb Black- Fairly Used For Sale- Call 08037077830 / Etisalat Fires Back, With Heavy Slaps On Mtn And Glo / Please Help Between Mtn modem And Dstv internet (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Between Mtn And Glo 3gs. by Asum: 4:26pm On Nov 07, 2009
Trying to upgrade to 3G.  From the various blogs I read at Nairaland and elsewhere, I narrowed down my choices to MTN and Glo. MTN appears to be having the upper hand in the reviews, they are said to be the most data friendly – i.e. ignoring the infamous 3GB limit! Checked the websites of the operators and again MTN had my scores. I then bought both SIM cards and went about activating them.

MTN was fun, it hit the ground running. Immediately I switched on the phone after installing the new SIM card, I received a text message welcoming me to the network. Other text messages followed supplying and installing the settings for data. The only snag was that the 3G icon on the handset did not come on making me to wonder if my area is not covered by their 3G network. I checked the balance and discovered it came preloaded with N50. I then decided to use it to try-out the data capability of the network. An E icon then showed up and I connected immediately. I guess that means I am on their EDGE network. It was a first for me, all the other networks I tried before showed G (GPRS?). I was very impressed with the speed. I wanted to know if my area is covered by their 3G service, so I called 181. It was Friday in the evening and either the automated answering machine would say that all the customer service reps are currently busy (closed for the day?) or begin a very lengthy replay of the various customer service options available. Next I tried searching online for the MTN 3G coverage areas to know if my area is covered without luck.

It was then Glo’s turn. I inserted the new SIM card, switched on the phone, and nothing happened. That was not good, not after being spoilt by MTN. To be frank I wasn’t expecting much in the first place. Their website tends to lay more emphasis on one visiting their office for the setup. And visiting people’s offices is not something I like doing. One because I don’t have the time, two because I don’t want to make the person I am visiting feel too important, and three because the technology is there for me not to have to leave my house before I could be set up. MTN just proved that to me only a few minutes ago. The 3G icon came up on the Glo network though, which is something I always knew since they are my preferred voice network (voice wise, I am yet to forgive MTN for telling us, before the advent of Glo, that per second billing is not possible in Nigeria).

I will appreciate information from the house on the following before I commit myself to any of the operators.

1. I am domiciled in Benin City, anybody knows if the city is covered by MTN 3G, or 3.5G as they prefer to call it?
2. For those already using Glo 3G, how easy is it to enroll? Are they serious about the deposit they mentioned in their website? If yes what is the money meant for? When we paid (caution) deposit in school, it was because the school authorities were afraid we may go berserk and break things. What could I possible break in their 3G network by merely connecting to the internet through it to warrant them requesting such a huge amount? Since it is a deposit, under what condition can one get a refund?
3. The Glo website also has it that 3G Packages are a Postpaid offering only. Is that still the case? Although I have a Postpaid Glo line, I like keeping my data plans away from the voice plans.
Re: Between Mtn And Glo 3gs. by malone5923(m): 5:54pm On Nov 07, 2009
From all indication's it seems you have connected with both networks. That in mind only you can decide which network is better by testing it out. This is a simple decision dont let anybody make a decision for you. About glo's data only for postpaid users that is false, glo just rolled in 3g services for prepaid line's(It has always being there though they will never admit it).
Re: Between Mtn And Glo 3gs. by malone5923(m): 5:54pm On Nov 07, 2009
From all indication's it seems you have connected with both networks. That in mind only you can decide which network is better by testing it out. This is a simple decision dont let anybody make a decision for you. About glo's data only for postpaid users that is false, glo just rolled in 3g services for prepaid line's(It has always being there though they will never admit it).
Re: Between Mtn And Glo 3gs. by malone5923(m): 5:55pm On Nov 07, 2009
Re: Between Mtn And Glo 3gs. by Mavor: 5:59pm On Nov 07, 2009
I made a post answering all your questions cos I'm in benin. I don't know why a mod deleted it.
Re: Between Mtn And Glo 3gs. by Asum: 9:30pm On Nov 07, 2009
Please try again Mavor. I really need the answers.
Re: Between Mtn And Glo 3gs. by Mavor: 10:55pm On Nov 07, 2009
I'm in benin too and I have solution to your problems. contact via linpalmer71 [at] gmail [dot] [com]

(1) (Reply)

How Can I Use Other Network Sim Cards On My Unlocked Zain Modem? / Need To Order Items From Usa And Have Them Shipped To Nigeria. / Free Internet Browsing - (ISP) Promos And Freebies

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.