Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,264 members, 7,811,736 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 06:28 PM

Has Your Best Food Ever Turned An Enemy? - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Has Your Best Food Ever Turned An Enemy? (1459 Views)

World Food Day: What's Your Best Nigerian Food? / Bread: The Most Versatile Food Ever. / The Best Food Joint Or Resturants In Aba (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Has Your Best Food Ever Turned An Enemy? by Nobody: 7:46pm On Nov 26, 2016
While growing up, my younger brother (age 6 then) loved Ponmo so much. I found an essay he wrote on his exercise book where he was asked to talk about his "Best food", I could remember the first sentence.

"My Best food is Rice and Ponmo...."

I found it funny and showed my mum and aunt. For the love of ponmo, mum replaced turkey with ponmo for a while.

Then one night, something happened........

Little brother was romancing his ponmo, i guess it was quite tough, before we knew what was happening, he had swallowed the big and thick ponmo.

See race... " water , water" we all started running around. Aunty tried to induce him to vomit, nothing happened.

Brother was crying, he was in pains, sweating, shouting.... i guess the total quantity of water he drank would reach 5 litres that night, we were all confused. Til date , i cant remember how the Ponmo went down his stomach.

Ever since that night, brother hated ponmo so much. For many years, he did not taste it. He is now 22 , it was just about 4 yrs ago or more, he started reconciling with his girlfriend - Ponmo.

Whenever he eats it when im around, i would tease him and remind him of that night. He would just smile....while i laugh at him

Share your experience. Has your best food ever become your worst food?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Has Your Best Food Ever Turned An Enemy? by ButterFrost212(f): 5:43pm On Nov 27, 2016
Ok, here goes. embarassed

My best food was beans, I loved beans like kilode, I could eat it everyday all day. I would have my mom cook a big pot then refrigerate it and eat it every day, it was that bad. I went to boarding school and beans days were my fave, since no one ate it, I always had morethan enough for myself. All was good and well until... .

My first year in the university, I cooked beans one evening and before I could enjoy my meal, someone called me out so I was out for a couple of hours, I came back to my room at about 8,and because I was too tired I didn't warm it, I just ate it like that with garri to go then I slept off almost immediately. I woke up at about 3 am with a rumbling stomach, this was the beginning of my nightmare. I swear I almost died. To cut out the gory details, doctor said I had food poisoning. Needless to say I graduated years ago and I haven't tasted beans porridge ever since, only akara and moi moi. Beans cannot coman kill me o cry cry cry Now I just look at people that eat beans anyhow and just wish them all the best.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Has Your Best Food Ever Turned An Enemy? by Nobody: 7:58pm On Nov 27, 2016
ButterFrost212:
Ok, here goes. embarassed

My best food was beans, I loved beans like kilode, I could eat it everyday all day. I would have my mom cook a big pot then refrigerate it and eat it every day, it was that bad. I went to boarding school and beans days were my fave, since no one at it, I always had morethan enough for myself. All was good and well until... .

My first year in the university, I cooked beans one evening and before I could enjoy my meal, someone called me out and I was out for a couple of hours, I came back to my room at about 8,and because I was too tired I didn't warm it, I just ate it like that with garri to go then I slept off almost immediately. I woke up at about 3 am with a rumbling stomach, this was the beginning of my nightmare. I swear I almost died. To cut out the gory details, doctor said I had food poisoning. Needless to say I graduated years ago and I haven't tasted beans porridge ever since, only akara and moi moi. Beans cannot coman kill me o cry cry cry Now I just look at people that eat beans anyhow and just wish them all the best.

Lol... quite interesting

i was also a fan of beans. i guess i ate it so much that my body started rejecting it. i would purge all night , be it moi moi or akara...whichever way. Now i jus eat once in a blue moon
Re: Has Your Best Food Ever Turned An Enemy? by ButterFrost212(f): 8:23pm On Nov 27, 2016
Maychang:

Lol... quite interesting

i was also a fan of beans. i guess i ate it so much that my body started rejecting it. i would purge all night , be it moi moi or akara...whichever way. Now i jus eat once in a blue moon
I think something must have contaminated it, I purged, I puked, it was bad. Lol. Atleast now I can form and say I don't eat beans and not be lying. Lol
Re: Has Your Best Food Ever Turned An Enemy? by coolbreezy01: 7:02pm On Dec 02, 2016
Mine was a yoruba food named ikokore which is being cooked with water yam(I don't know the english name if it has though). We all know it looks like porridge and I love anything to do with yam especially when the ikokore is being cooked with fish.,,I can eat a bowl of it and still be asking for more regardless of the time...I put it in the microwave to heat up just to go and take my bath to come back and see my cousin sick sister eating it. I sparked and collected and as I finoshed eating it I was told my sister puked in it before eating it and wow me being a clean freak got sick for clean 3 weeks and me imagining it till date make me want to vomit and I just keep hating it daily and to those still eating it...kudos.

It all started one night when I came from football training as at that time and 'voom' straight to the fridge for the ikokore to eat that night cause have been

2 Likes

Re: Has Your Best Food Ever Turned An Enemy? by Nobody: 10:58pm On Dec 02, 2016
Yes, Jellof rice. I use to like it.
Re: Has Your Best Food Ever Turned An Enemy? by Franky826: 4:57pm On Dec 03, 2016
Catalin:

So why do you now hate the almighty international jollof
Re: Has Your Best Food Ever Turned An Enemy? by Franky826: 4:58pm On Dec 03, 2016
Three crowns milk.

I just don't know how it happened.

My siblings knew I used to like it but suddenly hated it so they thought I was lying. I used to like Lipton so they will prepare tea with it. If I just tasted it I will puke all I had in my intestines. So they changed and started preparing it with Milo, that one I would just sniff out the smell and won't take it. Then they tried Ovaltine and then pronto grin . Non worked. I still haven't taken it till date

1 Like

Re: Has Your Best Food Ever Turned An Enemy? by Nobody: 5:31pm On Dec 03, 2016
Franky826:

So why do you now hate the almighty international jollof
I cooked it too much when I was in my 100L, I ended up disliking it.
Re: Has Your Best Food Ever Turned An Enemy? by ave4(f): 7:32pm On Dec 03, 2016
I loved fried plantain.I never believed that my desire for it would end one day.I observed years back that my teeth becomes brittle immediately after eating more than 3 pieces of fried plantain.I won't be able to chew food or fruits again due to the discomfort I felt.So I stopped eating it.
Re: Has Your Best Food Ever Turned An Enemy? by ButterFrost212(f): 8:31pm On Dec 03, 2016
Catalin:
but everyone loves jollof rice embarassed
Re: Has Your Best Food Ever Turned An Enemy? by bleble24: 8:42pm On Dec 03, 2016
The case is different for me. Growing up I never liked beans but now as a mother I love it ehhhh. ...
Re: Has Your Best Food Ever Turned An Enemy? by Nobody: 8:58pm On Dec 03, 2016
ButterFrost212:
but everyone loves jollof rice embarassed
Except me!!
Re: Has Your Best Food Ever Turned An Enemy? by ButterFrost212(f): 10:10am On Dec 04, 2016
Catalin:
Except me!!
lol,ok
Re: Has Your Best Food Ever Turned An Enemy? by Nobody: 12:28am On Mar 12, 2017
I cant sleep tonight and i stumbled on this old thread i created. i wish we could have more comments.
Re: Has Your Best Food Ever Turned An Enemy? by Nobody: 10:08am On Mar 12, 2017
growing up I fùcking loved indomie, it was even the first thing I learned how to cook, I would experiment with different stuffs like curry, thyme etc
I met my Waterloo the day I mixed it with crayfish. This crazy stomach pain and painful purging for 3 days
that was in 2013. I only started eating indomie recently and that's because it's very easy to cook.

that initial first love is dead
Re: Has Your Best Food Ever Turned An Enemy? by Nobody: 10:13am On Mar 12, 2017
sexfabregas:
growing up I fùcking loved indomie, it was even the first thing I learned how to cook, I would experiment with different stuffs like curry, thyme etc
I met my Waterloo the day I mixed it with crayfish. This crazy stomach pain and painful purging for 3 days
that was in 2013. I only started eating indomie recently and that's because it's very easy to cook.

that initial first love is dead

Thyme n curry....geezzzz......
Re: Has Your Best Food Ever Turned An Enemy? by damanjohn: 10:45am On Mar 12, 2017
My best food always remain my best no trouble no wahala

(1) (Reply)

Distributor Price / Teach Me How To Bake For My Birthday / Success Story – KEHINDE KAMSON (Founder/CEO, Sweet Sensation Confectionery)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.