Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,081 members, 7,821,719 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 05:12 PM

What Is Your Greatest Fear? - Nairaland / General (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / What Is Your Greatest Fear? (21810 Views)

5 Greatest Lies In Nigeria! / What Is Your Greatest Fear? / What Is Your Greatest Fear In Life? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is Your Greatest Fear? by emorse(m): 5:42pm On Dec 20, 2016
musicwriter:
My greatest fear is that Africa WILL be re-enslaved in future. We Africans will enslave ourselves, culture, languages, ideals, e.t.c into extinction. I' am talking in the upwards from 50, 100 years or more. This will happen through what we erroneously call education, but which is actually an indoctrination handed down to us by the colonial masters. We will all be de-Africanized leaving a continent of Afro-Euro hybrides teeming with people who have little knowledge of what it means to be African. By the next 100 years when everybody would belong to the so called educated individuals, it would be extremely difficult to find an African who still speaks and write in his/her native language. We WILL totally become a brainwashed lost culture. This is actually the biggest threat facing Africa and it WILL come to pass, unless we change the system of this thing we call education to reflect education grounded on African philosophy.

Culture is dynamic bro. It can never be preserved. Even the so-called western culture is not exactly as it was some 50 years ago.
Re: What Is Your Greatest Fear? by LCASHMAN(m): 6:16pm On Dec 20, 2016
ARSENAL WINNING CHAMPIONS LEAGUE THIS SEASON
Re: What Is Your Greatest Fear? by musicwriter(m): 7:12pm On Dec 20, 2016
emore:

Culture is dynamic bro. It can never be preserved. Even the so-called western culture is not exactly as it was some 50 years ago.

Well, that's because you've been schooled to believe the ''so called western culture'' is supposed to be a model for Africans. Culture is dynamic and for that you believe westernization of Africans is the right course for us?

What impact does African cultures have on western culture?

Have you ever heard of western philosophy? And eastern philosophy?

Bro, the world is split into various ideological and cultural boundaries.

Asians will always be Asians. Europeans will always be Europeans. Arabs will always be Arabs. Russians will always be Russians.

Its only here in Africa that people like you crop up to defend neo-colonialism and even argue (just as you have done) that there's nothing wrong white-washing African ideals.

Indeed, you're a living proof my fears would come to pass.
Re: What Is Your Greatest Fear? by Situation001(m): 8:11pm On Dec 20, 2016
losing my mum..
Re: What Is Your Greatest Fear? by emorse(m): 11:22pm On Dec 20, 2016
musicwriter:

Well, that's because you've been schooled to believe the ''so called western culture'' is supposed to be a model for Africans. Culture is dynamic and for that you believe westernization of Africans is the right course for ...
Indeed, you're a living proof my fears would come to pass.

Yes western education has taken our language, dressing and a few other things (that I fail to see at the moment) but I ask , in exchange for what? Access to the rest of the world with little or no restrictions, technological advancement, better medical facilities to mention but three?

What would you rather have if I may ask? A "culturally rich" Africa that is isolated and insulated from the rest of the world? An Africa where belief trumps reality?

If anything bro, I think Africa has benefitted more from the cultural fusion that scares you so much. And contrary to what you think, it swings both ways. We have exported a bit of our culture too. So have the Indians, the Asians etc.
Re: What Is Your Greatest Fear? by Emeonyerichard(m): 11:23pm On Dec 20, 2016
My only fear in life is if am nt able to mke the tears my mum shade fr me count. I dont tink i can stand nt bin successful .. I got a mum who deserve my success. Gosh... I cant blive am crying rite nw cox of fear of nt goin to b able to put a smile on d face of a woman who has cried fr both my success and failure.. God pls pick up my call... Success is all i ask and a hand to gt me dia......
Re: What Is Your Greatest Fear? by musicwriter(m): 11:56pm On Dec 20, 2016
emorse:

Yes western education has taken our language, dressing and a few other things (that I fail to see at the moment) but I ask , in exchange for what? Access to the rest of the world with little or no restrictions, technological advancement, better medical facilities to mention but three?

What would you rather have if I may ask? A "culturally rich" Africa that is isolated and insulated from the rest of the world? An Africa where belief trumps reality?

If anything bro, I think Africa has benefitted more from the cultural fusion that scares you so much. And contrary to what you think, it swings both ways. We have exported a bit of our culture too. So have the Indians, the Asians etc.

I' am an ambassador of science both on this forum and offline. What you assume is that the west brought us science or learning or in summary civilization. That's not true!!.

The world's first technological wonder is the Gizar pyramid in Egypt here in Africa. The world's first university was in Timbuktu in Mali here in Africa. European civilation hasn't even begun by the time Africans were building pyramids, inventing the system of writing, building schools.

It was only after our lands were invaded starting in the 14th century that Europe overtook us due to slavery of our people. They then began to lord over us. They deleted positive history about ancient Africa and installed a brainwashing education to teach YOU they're our saviour. Clearly, ever since that time we haven't been ourselves again. You don't know the history, this's why you are asking "in exchange for what" cause you assume the west is doing us a favour.

Well, it appears like that, but the west has never done us any favours, neither in the past nor now. African scientific advancement would have actually been similar to what you have in Japan or any of those countries that had limited western influence.

In exchange for what you ask? Well, in exchange to going back to recontruct ourselves from bottom up, create our own scientific prowers, school in our languages, build our own airplanes. Yes, we can actually do all that when we return to ourselves.

African cultures have no influence on western culture. If you know one example where it does, let me know. I' am not speaking for Indians or other continents.
Re: What Is Your Greatest Fear? by emorse(m): 10:56pm On Dec 22, 2016
musicwriter:

I' am an ambassador of science both on this forum and offline. What you assume is that the west brought us science or learning or in summary civilization. That's not true!!....
You appear to have a sound knowledge of African history. I recognise and respect that. However, your assertions here are besides the point which is that culture, anywhere in the world, is dynamic and can never be preserved in its pristine state. In fact, we don't (and can't) know what our culture was like it its pure form. Whatever was recorded in history is only an account of the prevalent culture as at the time of record taking.

You say we could have become like the Japanese who had limited western influence? I agree but emphasise COULD. That you believe so doesn't mean it couldn't have been any other way.

Now you suggest we renounce what we currently have and go back to reconstruct ourselves from bottom up? Where do we start from when we don't even know what our "bottom" is? How do we compete with the fast pace of the ever evolving rest-of-the-world? I think this suggestion will be tantamount to pushing the self-destruct button.

The African culture sure has influenced other cultures albeit in very small ways. People worship Ifa in Europe and America. They study African languages especially in South America. A Nigerian designer sometimes ago came third in a competition simply because he added our "gele" to a dress that looked to me like every other dress that was on display. We've seen celebs rocking our Ankara prints. I could go on.

What we have ongoing now is a fusion of different cultures and its a global occurrence that cannot be stopped. Where this fusion will lead to in the nearest future, we'd have to wait to find out.

PS: Please don't mistake economic differences for cultural differences. They are not the same.
Re: What Is Your Greatest Fear? by musicwriter(m): 7:58pm On Dec 23, 2016
author=emosee post=52176841

You appear to have a sound knowledge of African history. I recognise and respect that. However, your assertions here are besides the point which is that culture, anywhere in the world, is dynamic and can never be preserved in its pristine state. In fact, we don't (and can't) know what our culture was like it its pure form. Whatever was recorded in history is only an account of the prevalent culture as at the time of record taking.

You needs to understand those things first in order to understand where we're coming from and that we had a life before we met white people.

You say we could have become like the Japanese who had limited western influence? I agree but emphasise COULD. That you believe so doesn't mean it couldn't have been any other way.

I' am certain we would have been like Japan or even better, because many parts of Africa were already ahead of white people before slavery. For example; the first 3 universities in the world were all located here in Africa. They include Fez university Morroco, Al-azar university Egypt, Timbuktu university in Mali. These universities predates all European universities and indeed any other in the world.

Indeed, Europeans and Asians studied in Africa and they said so. Pythagogas a Greek Mathematician wrote that he studied Maths in Africa along with many other Greek intellectualls of old. We could have actually sustained our development if slavery did not happen. See Guinness World Records for the oldest school in the world http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/world-records/oldest-university

Western education, after subduing Africans, created a brainwahing education to teach you they gave you what you actually gave them!!. And problem is you're still believing what the system told you even when a brother is telling you who you are and that the west is doing us no favor.

Now you suggest we renounce what we currently have and go back to reconstruct ourselves from bottom up? Where do we start from when we don't even know what our "bottom" is? How do we compete with the fast pace of the ever evolving rest-of-the-world? I think this suggestion will be tantamount to pushing the self-destruct button.

I do get this question all the time, and it emanates from the fact you haven't looked into history to know what other societies did when they found themselves in our situation.

First of all, you need to understand everything was all fine with Africa. Nothing was wrong with Africa until about the 1400 century when white people unfortunately made contact with us. The rest is history.

But, whether we can reconstruct ourselves, YES, that's completely possible. But, it needs YOU to first understand we had a life before we met white people and that we will indeed prosper when we take our destiny into our own hands.

What did other cultures do when they were in our situation?

Let me use Britain itself as an example, since you believe they're doing us a favour.

For your information, Britain was also occupied and partially enslaved. At some point in their national lives Britain spoke the languages of their captors - Rome, Greeks, Germans, French, Latin, Spanish. Before 1362 English language itself wasn't even an official language yet as Britain was still recovering from effects of slavery, and was still speaking the languages of their captors. English language then was still an underdog forsaken language only spoken by illiterates and peasants across the British isle- exactly the same way as our various native African languages are today relegated to the back seat. Britain was then poor just as we're in Africa today!. Britain was then the most backward nation in Europe!!.

But, after a while the British people began having a surge of nationalists (people like me) who wanted Britain return to speaking it's native English language as a first step to reconstructing themselves from bottom up.

Even though English became an official language in 1362, but it was not until Britain took control of it as the language of learning starting from 1616 that the language of Economics, Politics, science and technology was proactively being added into the English vocabulary. Note that they mostly copied scientific words from the Greeks, Germans, French, Latin, Spanish, that's why almost every terminology in your chemistry, physics, biology textbooks are originally said to come from Latin, Greek, e.t.c. Again, before then, the official language in Britain was a mix of Greek, German, French, Latin, Spanish, which was the language of their captors. Their native English suffered exactly the same fate as our native African languages. English then was as scanty as our abandoned native African languages.

Note that even though English became an official language in 1362, it took Britain between 1362-1616 (254 years!) to realize they must take control of their native English language as language of knowledge acquisition in school as a start to reconstructing themselves from bottom up. Do you know why it took such a long time? Because, educated people (people like you) in Britain then those who spoke fluent Greeks, Germans, French, Latin, Spanish- the language of their captors were making the same argument you're making now!!!!!!!!. The elites and educated fools in Britain who spoke fluent Greek, German, French, Latin, Spanish were also asking where do we begin?? They also rubbished their English language saying it was not good enough for learning Economics, Politics, science and technology.

Eventually, Britain took over their native language as the language of learning. Not long, just about that same time, a man called Isaac Newton was born and he was able to convince British people to start studying sciences in their native language.

What happened later?

Within a very short time, Britain an underdog in Europe became the world's knowledge center for science!. They built better compass, ships, gun and gun powder and they were able to voyage the whole world taking people to slavery. That's how they got rich.

How ironic, today you're a slave to English language and you also rubbish our native African language thinking white people are doing us a favour!!. If you understand how naive you sound in the face of history, you'll be ashamed for the rest of your life for making same argument against your native African language.

The African culture sure has influenced other cultures albeit in very small ways. People worship Ifa in Europe and America. They study African languages especially in South America. A Nigerian designer sometimes ago came third in a competition simply because he added our "gele" to a dress that looked to me like every other dress that was on display. We've seen celebs rocking our Ankara prints. I could go on.

No, that's not exporting our culture, but those are occasional ceremonial activities. Exporting our culture would mean having British people begin learning Yoruba, Igbo, Hausa, e.t.c in schools, the west preferring to watch Nigerian TVs as we do CNN, BBC, Fox, e.t.c, Americans preferring to watch Nollywood movies.

The bahia people in Brazil and in other Caribbean nations who speak Yoruba were originally Africans who managed to sustain their languages at the end of slavery.

What we have ongoing now is a fusion of different cultures and its a global occurrence that cannot be stopped. Where this fusion will lead to in the nearest future, we'd have to wait to find out.

What you're talking about is world culture; like the current mobile and internet craze. There's nothing wrong with that. Yet, intelligent countries; like China block their citizens from certain things they feel is harmful for their consumption. If everybody in the world thinks facebook is good, then it should be good for us as well.

PS: Please don't mistake economic differences for cultural differences. They are not the same.

I never said they're the same.

Note: See below short videos- 20 minutes all.

The evolution of English language.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIzFz9T5rhI
The origin of English language.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEaSxhcns7Y
The history of English language.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3ZJuCbklqg
How languages evolve.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWDKsHm6gTA
Re: What Is Your Greatest Fear? by Marxxx: 10:25am On Jan 08, 2017
Dyt:
Not being able to cater for my son and mum
cry cry

God please don't watch me suffer
Old friend, hw are you? Hey where is this conception springing from? You are going to take good care of your son and your mum. Trust me he is going to be proud of you someday. God do not enjoy watching people suffer either. I miss your annoying jokes though...
Re: What Is Your Greatest Fear? by Marxxx: 10:26am On Jan 08, 2017
joseph1832:
Simple. Dying and not being remembered. I crave what Jesus Christ and Prophet Mohammed (SAW) have...

Immortality!!!
immortality is nothing...
Re: What Is Your Greatest Fear? by Marxxx: 10:30am On Jan 08, 2017
YourCoffin:
Potbelly and a sexless life
Hilarious...do not expend too much energy on sex, it is futility. Channel those energy to activities that will make the world a better place

1 Like

Re: What Is Your Greatest Fear? by Dyt(f): 1:01pm On Jan 08, 2017
Marxxx:
Old friend, hw are you? Hey where is this conception springing from? You are going to take good care of your son and your mum. Trust me he is going to be proud of you someday. God do not enjoy watching people suffer either. I miss your annoying jokes though...

All I can do is smile
Wishing you a prosperous year
Re: What Is Your Greatest Fear? by Marxxx: 8:54pm On Jan 08, 2017
metorichmond:
Marrying the wrong woman.... it is worst than poverty!
you have ample amount of time to figure out the woman that is best for you and there are over 20million unmarried ladies... so you have nothing to fear

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Valentine With The Poor! / Waziri Umaru Polytechnic Student Dies In Motor Accident In Kebbi State (Graphic) / You Better Prepare — This Is What Is About to Happen Soon... [Picture]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.