Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,774 members, 7,810,009 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:41 PM

Need Info On Small Scale Tomato Farming - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Need Info On Small Scale Tomato Farming (1502 Views)

TOMATO FARMING INVESTMENT OPPORTUNITY / Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) / Bizclass-open-field Tomato Farming In Edo State (heirloom And Hybrid Varieties) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Need Info On Small Scale Tomato Farming by pejuhazel(f): 5:37pm On Nov 29, 2016
Hello, I would like to plant tomatoes at home. I live in Lagos in a rented apartment, so I have no garden space to use but I would like to use my balcony as its a bit spacious, so I would appreciate it if I can get any information on how to proceed, especially what soil to use and how to get it.
Thanks in advance.
PS: no adverts please and no, I will not buy your book or CD's.
Re: Need Info On Small Scale Tomato Farming by Mustack: 6:19pm On Nov 29, 2016
pejuhazel:
Hello, I would like to plant tomatoes at home. I live in Lagos in a rented apartment, so I have no garden space to use but I would like to use my balcony as its a bit spacious, so I would appreciate it if I can get any information on how to proceed, especially what soil to use and how to get it.
Thanks in advance.
PS: no adverts please and no, I will not buy your book or CD's.
you just open my brain now...
since its not necessary to have a sun light to make it grow...
Re: Need Info On Small Scale Tomato Farming by Rubyintegrated: 2:39pm On Nov 30, 2016
Hello Pejuhazel,

I am not in Lagos but I hope to be as helpful as possible. So let's start with the basics:

1. Sun exposure on your balcony: Does your balcony receive a good sun exposure (5-8hrs per day)? if yes, you can proceed with your plan. If no, please do not bother as it will be a wasteful effort. Ideally, tomatoes should get full sun for 8 hours per day. They will still grow with less sun, but the shadier the conditions, the longer it takes for the fruit to ripen.

2. Container selection: Keep in mind that the more root space the plant has, the better the roots will grow. This will allow the top part of the plant to grow large. Tomatoes can grow to over 6-8 feet tall and 2 feet across, a half barrel sized pot (those sold for N800 here in Abuja) is just enough to accommodate the roots for that size plant. Small pots do make smaller plants but that also means a lot less fruit and many of the problems mentioned above.

3. Soil: You can get your top soil and manure from any gardener around your area. A cement bag full of top soil sells for N500 in Abuja while that of manure goes for N600. the darker the top soil, the better. You can the mix the two. 2 parts of top soil and 1 part of manure for starter.

4. Filling the container: while filling the container, remember that good drainage and healthy roots go together. So be fore add the mixture of top soil and manure, please layer a piece of wire mesh cut to size at the bottom of the pot. Then add some pebbles before adding the top soil/manure mixture.

5. Tomato seeds: You can easy buy seeds which are readily available in any agric shop around your area, but I would recommend that you pick/buy a couple of really ripe and beautiful tomatoes either in house or at the veg store, remove the seeds and dry them for a couple of days and plant them in a small container for onward transfer to the prep pot(s).

I will stop for now. Have to attend to business.....

I will continue when you are done with these and is ready to move on....
Re: Need Info On Small Scale Tomato Farming by pejuhazel(f): 4:00pm On Nov 30, 2016
Thanks so much. Sunlight is not a problem at all especially now. For the container I was thinking of using regular flower pots although I've seen people use cement bags. Is it necessary to use the mesh and stones even when I'm using the flower pots?
I guess I have to start looking out for flower shops for the soil. Once again thank you.
Rubyintegrated:
Hello Pejuhazel,

I am not in Lagos but I hope to be as helpful as possible. So let's start with the basics:

1. Sun exposure on your balcony: Does your balcony receive a good sun exposure (5-8hrs per day)? if yes, you can proceed with your plan. If no, please do not bother as it will be a wasteful effort. Ideally, tomatoes should get full sun for 8 hours per day. They will still grow with less sun, but the shadier the conditions, the longer it takes for the fruit to ripen.

2. Container selection: Keep in mind that the more root space the plant has, the better the roots will grow. This will allow the top part of the plant to grow large. Tomatoes can grow to over 6-8 feet tall and 2 feet across, a half barrel sized pot (those sold for N800 here in Abuja) is just enough to accommodate the roots for that size plant. Small pots do make smaller plants but that also means a lot less fruit and many of the problems mentioned above.

3. Soil: You can get your top soil and manure from any gardener around your area. A cement bag full of top soil sells for N500 in Abuja while that of manure goes for N600. the darker the top soil, the better. You can the mix the two. 2 parts of top soil and 1 part of manure for starter.

4. Filling the container: while filling the container, remember that good drainage and healthy roots go together. So be fore add the mixture of top soil and manure, please layer a piece of wire mesh cut to size at the bottom of the pot. Then add some pebbles before adding the top soil/manure mixture.

5. Tomato seeds: You can easy buy seeds which are readily available in any agric shop around your area, but I would recommend that you pick/buy a couple of really ripe and beautiful tomatoes either in house or at the veg store, remove the seeds and dry them for a couple of days and plant them in a small container for onward transfer to the prep pot(s).

Re: Need Info On Small Scale Tomato Farming by pejuhazel(f): 4:18pm On Nov 30, 2016
For the seeds, do I just dry them without any prior preparations cos I read somewhere that I need to ferment them first.
Rubyintegrated:
Hello Pejuhazel,

Re: Need Info On Small Scale Tomato Farming by Rubyintegrated: 4:27pm On Nov 30, 2016
You can buy the biggest flower pot or use a cement bag as well. You may skip the wire mesh and pebbles if you can make sure that water is properly drained.

about the seeds, I have never soak mine in water. but you could try and tell us the result.... We are always learning.
Re: Need Info On Small Scale Tomato Farming by pejuhazel(f): 8:41pm On Nov 30, 2016
I don't think I'll be fermenting my seed cos I read its a very smelly process, maybe I can try it later. How many seed should I plant in a pot and will I need to get fertilizer as it grows?. Thanks
Rubyintegrated:
You can buy the biggest flower pot or use a cement bag as well. You may skip the wire mesh and pebbles if you can make sure that water is properly drained.

about the seeds, I have never soak mine in water. but you could try and tell us the result.... We are always learning.
Re: Need Info On Small Scale Tomato Farming by Following(m): 4:15am On Dec 01, 2016
pejuhazel:
I don't think I'll be fermenting my seed cos I read its a very smelly process, maybe I can try it later. How many seed should I plant in a pot and will I need to get fertilizer as it grows?. Thanks
plant btw 3-5 seeds and when they have grown for upto 2 weeks,u pinch off the rest and let the most healthy one remain, you may pour hot water on the soil or heat it directly to kill most soil borne pathogen and reduce risk of infection. the type of tomato you plant will determine the method of staking/trellising you apply

1 Like

Re: Need Info On Small Scale Tomato Farming by pejuhazel(f): 9:29am On Dec 01, 2016
Thanks a lot, following your own post
Following:
plant btw 3-5 seeds and when they have grown for upto 2 weeks,u pinch off the rest and let the most healthy one remain, you may pour hot water on the soil or heat it directly to kill most soil borne pathogen and reduce risk of infection. the type of tomato you plant will determine the method of staking/trellising you apply
Re: Need Info On Small Scale Tomato Farming by Following(m): 3:31pm On Dec 01, 2016
just hope u know i am learner also. btw, if u can buy certified wilt resistant seeds, you will save your self a lot of stress when it comes to wilt related diseases. make somtin wey u wan happy dey chop no give you high B.P cos of yeye seeds

1 Like

Re: Need Info On Small Scale Tomato Farming by pejuhazel(f): 10:33am On Dec 03, 2016
Please does anyone know where I can get good planting soil, I live in Aguda, Lagos. Thanks
Re: Need Info On Small Scale Tomato Farming by Following(m): 8:03pm On Dec 03, 2016
pejuhazel:
Please does anyone know where I can get good planting soil, I live in Aguda, Lagos. Thanks
you don't necessarily need to buy planting soil, look for any place where dark loamy soil is available especially if it is from a fallowed bush, get animal dung and fresh leaves of awolowo or any shrub like that and any organic kitchen scrap(kitchen residue). mix them together. you can either heat the mixture directly on fire or pour boiling water 1/3 the volume of the soil mixture and let it cool. hope you understand

(1) (Reply)

Sales Of Agrochemicals In Ibadan / Oil Palm Plantation For Lease / Snapshot: Cost-effective Way To Starting Your catfish Hatchery

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.