Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,512 members, 7,819,852 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:20 AM

Bizclass-open-field Tomato Farming In Edo State (heirloom And Hybrid Varieties) - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Bizclass-open-field Tomato Farming In Edo State (heirloom And Hybrid Varieties) (4208 Views)

TOMATO FARMING INVESTMENT OPPORTUNITY / Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) / Need Info On Small Scale Tomato Farming (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Bizclass-open-field Tomato Farming In Edo State (heirloom And Hybrid Varieties) by Bizclass: 12:41am On Jan 14, 2017
Hello Nairalanders, this thread will provide practical steps and relevant information on tomato farming for potential investors. I'll give primary attention to the capital and challenges involved in setting up an hectare of tomato farm (from nursery to the transplanting stage). And yes, details regarding a realistic potential yield per acre will be provided.However, your constructive criticisms are welcomed.
Please note that it is safer to use farm practices that is best suited to your area.

1 Like

Re: Bizclass-open-field Tomato Farming In Edo State (heirloom And Hybrid Varieties) by Bizclass: 12:46am On Jan 14, 2017
These are pictures of the heirloom and hybrid varieties from China.

Re: Bizclass-open-field Tomato Farming In Edo State (heirloom And Hybrid Varieties) by Bizclass: 12:58am On Jan 14, 2017
There are two major differences between both varieties.
1. Heirloom varieties produce better tasty tomatoes than their hybrid "brother".
2. Hybrid tomatoes have tougher "skin" and can be preserved for more than a week unlike their heirloom counterpart.
Re: Bizclass-open-field Tomato Farming In Edo State (heirloom And Hybrid Varieties) by Bizclass: 1:10am On Jan 14, 2017
Currently, there are 4500 Big Beef Hybrid Tomato Seeds and another 6000 Giant Heirloom Seeds which will be placed in nursery within the new week on this 4 acres farmland.

Re: Bizclass-open-field Tomato Farming In Edo State (heirloom And Hybrid Varieties) by Bizclass: 1:27am On Jan 14, 2017
Just a suggestion; if you can afford to buy a few acre(s), please do so because the amount that is charged for leasing an acre(s)(both by agents and owners alike) might sometimes be outrageous. In addition, sought for a written agreement.
Re: Bizclass-open-field Tomato Farming In Edo State (heirloom And Hybrid Varieties) by Bizclass: 1:49am On Jan 14, 2017
By morning, i will receive the test result on soil ph. Tomato plants require an acidic soil nature,ranging from 6.2 to 6.8( From experience, I stick with 6.8 if you are seeking to cultivate healthy plants and harvesting good yield). And they do well on loamy soil. Its very essential to get the right soil nutrient balance.Why? I will be back.

2 Likes

Re: Bizclass-open-field Tomato Farming In Edo State (heirloom And Hybrid Varieties) by shakyriri: 9:44am On Jan 14, 2017
We are keenly following.thanks
Re: Bizclass-open-field Tomato Farming In Edo State (heirloom And Hybrid Varieties) by martha89: 10:11am On Jan 14, 2017
Where in Edo is this please?
Re: Bizclass-open-field Tomato Farming In Edo State (heirloom And Hybrid Varieties) by martha89: 10:12am On Jan 14, 2017
Bizclass:
Currently, there are 4500 Big Beef Hybrid Tomato Seeds and another 6000 Giant Heirloom Seeds which will be placed in nursery within the new week on this 4 acres farmland.
OK cool where in Edo is this place?
Re: Bizclass-open-field Tomato Farming In Edo State (heirloom And Hybrid Varieties) by Bizclass: 10:40am On Jan 14, 2017
Exact farm location; Ugbojubo community, Ovia Northeast L.G.A, Edo State.
Re: Bizclass-open-field Tomato Farming In Edo State (heirloom And Hybrid Varieties) by Bizclass: 11:17am On Jan 14, 2017
I'll upload more pics as soon as the acres are cleared of weeds. For the meantime, it has been difficult to acquire poultry waste for the nursery stage. My people, i was even at an animal farm site, owned by the University of Benin today to source for it but the management told me that it was unavailable. My search still continues.
Re: Bizclass-open-field Tomato Farming In Edo State (heirloom And Hybrid Varieties) by martha89: 12:04pm On Jan 14, 2017
Do you plan to expand it to other location in Edo state?
Re: Bizclass-open-field Tomato Farming In Edo State (heirloom And Hybrid Varieties) by Bizclass: 12:09pm On Jan 14, 2017
Let me talk some more about the aforementioned varieties. Heirloom tomato fruits are usually delicate and saucy,thus a farmer can incur huge damages and significant losses.In other words, they require more care than their hybrid "colleague".The seeds I purchased has a life expectancy of a year and is also expected to produce throughout. According to the company that sold them, they are resistant to diseases such as verticillium wilt, Fusarium wilt race 1 and 2, Tobacco Mosaic Virus, Root Knot Nematodes and Stemphylium(Gray leaf Spot). To prevent bacteria wilt, you need to add copper fungicide or in powder form to your soil before transplanting.

Note; Before making any purchase on seeds, be certain that its best suited to the ecosystem of your region. Some seeds do well during the spring(rainy) season while others, summer(dry) season.

1 Like

Re: Bizclass-open-field Tomato Farming In Edo State (heirloom And Hybrid Varieties) by Bizclass: 12:48pm On Jan 14, 2017
No, I don't plan on expanding to other parts.

1 Like

Re: Bizclass-open-field Tomato Farming In Edo State (heirloom And Hybrid Varieties) by ice4u999(m): 2:10pm On Jan 14, 2017
We they follow. which company did you use to perform your soil test?
Re: Bizclass-open-field Tomato Farming In Edo State (heirloom And Hybrid Varieties) by Bizclass: 2:13pm On Jan 14, 2017
The soil ph test result was 6.1. According to my friend Buch, this meant that I have a slightly acidic soil that lacks ample phosphorus,boron and molybdenum but enough nitrogen. Tomato farmers require sufficient amount of these micronutrients in their soil to enable plant grow and blossom( nitrogen in particular). You can use the traditional N.P.K fertilizers. Currently, i don't have an idea about its cost per bag in Benin but it cost about #8000 per bag in Abuja.However, I'h already placed an order for liquid fertilizers which practically cost less. I upload pics as soon as I receive the package.

1 Like

Re: Bizclass-open-field Tomato Farming In Edo State (heirloom And Hybrid Varieties) by Bizclass: 2:21pm On Jan 14, 2017
Lol. Not a company bro but an educational institution. A friend of mine studies crop science, Faculty of Agriculture, University of Benin, Ugbowo campus, Benin City, Edo State. He used their agric. lab.
Re: Bizclass-open-field Tomato Farming In Edo State (heirloom And Hybrid Varieties) by Bizclass: 2:55pm On Jan 14, 2017
However, you can perform your own soil pH test by using vinegar and baking brown soda to test for soil acidity and alkalinity. Mix your soil sample with vinegar and add water. Should it produce gaseous substances, buzzing or crackling sound, it means that you have an alkaline soil, with pH 7-8. But If there is no reaction, take another soil sample and mix with your baking brown soda. Should you notice the above reaction, you have an acidic soil with a possible pH of between 5-6. The major disadvantage with this test is that your result is based on estimates and probables(ph6-7) instead of accuracy (6.1,6.5).

1 Like

Re: Bizclass-open-field Tomato Farming In Edo State (heirloom And Hybrid Varieties) by ice4u999(m): 3:23pm On Jan 14, 2017
Bizclass:
However, you can perform your own soil pH test by using vinegar and baking brown soda to test for soil acidity and alkalinity. Mix your soil sample with vinegar and add water. Should it produce gaseous substances, buzzing or crackling sound, it means that you have an alkaline soil, with pH 7-8. But If there is no reaction, take another soil sample and mix with your baking brown soda. Should you notice the above reaction, you have an acidic soil with a possible pH of between 5-6. The major disadvantage with this test is that your result is based on estimates and probables(ph6-7) instead of accuracy (6.1,6.5).

Estimating can become an issue epsically for this magnitude can be very costly. Lucky you to have a friend with lab access. But do you know of any company in Benin can analysis soil components. FYI I am new to this so pls pardon my ignorance. I am looking at going into agriculture and currently in the process of acquiring land. So I really want to learn

1 Like

Re: Bizclass-open-field Tomato Farming In Edo State (heirloom And Hybrid Varieties) by Bizclass: 3:48pm On Jan 14, 2017
@ ice. My brother, i'll take your questions without delay. I don't know of any firm in Benin that undertake soil pH test. Estimates(results) derived from using vinegar or baking brown soda are not that bad. At least, you will have an idea of the nutrient value of soil at your disposal and profer a measure of solution to it. For tomato varieties, its crucial to maintain soil acidity throughout their lifespan to enjoy maximum yields.

1 Like

Re: Bizclass-open-field Tomato Farming In Edo State (heirloom And Hybrid Varieties) by pleasureosondu(m): 7:13pm On Jan 14, 2017
Following
Re: Bizclass-open-field Tomato Farming In Edo State (heirloom And Hybrid Varieties) by ice4u999(m): 10:44pm On Jan 14, 2017
Bizclass:
@ ice. My brother, i'll take your questions without delay. I don't know of any firm in Benin that undertake soil pH test. Estimates(results) derived from using vinegar or baking brown soda are not that bad. At least, you will have an idea of the nutrient value of soil at your disposal and profer a measure of solution to it. For tomato varieties, its crucial to maintain soil acidity throughout their lifespan to enjoy maximum yields.

Ok my brother. I don't know when yet I will have my land papers ready because I am going to start paying s for the land installmentally before the end of the year. As soon as I start payment only then will I have access to the land but if you don't mind will you be willing to help me or direct me to somebody that can help perform this test? If yes, please send me your contact details at ice4u999@yahoo.com. When it is time you can ask me to bring in soil samples to any location of your choice in Benin.

Lastly at your location do you know what the average cost is for an hectare?
Re: Bizclass-open-field Tomato Farming In Edo State (heirloom And Hybrid Varieties) by Bizclass: 7:20am On Jan 15, 2017
Good morning Nairalanders
Re: Bizclass-open-field Tomato Farming In Edo State (heirloom And Hybrid Varieties) by Bizclass: 9:29am On Jan 15, 2017
ice4u999:

Ok my brother. I don't know when yet I will have my land papers ready because I am going to start paying s for the land installmentally before the end of the year. As soon as I start payment only then will I have access to the land but if you don't mind will you be willing to help me or direct me to somebody that can help perform this test? If yes, please send me your contact details at ice4u999@yahoo.com. When it is time you can ask me to bring in soil samples to any location of your choice in Benin.

I'll talk to my friend. If he agrees, i'll send his contact detail to your email.Then, you need to send 4-6 soil samples per acre, taken from different spots within that acre.
To your question 2, prices for leasing an arce differ. In fact, proximity to social amenities like good roads and functional water supply are factors that determine prices in my locale, with prices ranging from #15,000-#30,000 per acre. In Government reserve areas, prices fluctuates between #3000 -#5000 per year. You can get "discount'' prices from Community leaders( odionwere) in most villages (#5000-#7000 per year). Just try and negotiate properly.

Just an advice; Accessible roads is an important factor. Tomatoes are perishable items which MUST be handled with great care. I hope this helped.
Re: Bizclass-open-field Tomato Farming In Edo State (heirloom And Hybrid Varieties) by ice4u999(m): 10:38am On Jan 15, 2017
Bizclass:

I'll talk to my friend. If he agrees, i'll send his contact detail to your email.Then, you need to send 4-6 soil samples per acre, taken from different spots within that acre.
To your question 2, prices for leasing an arce differ. In fact, proximity to social amenities like good roads and functional water supply are factors that determine prices in my locale, with prices ranging from #15,000-#30,000 per acre. In Government reserve areas, prices fluctuates between #3000 -#5000 per year. You can get "discount'' prices from Community leaders( odionwere) in most villages (#5000-#7000 per year). Just try and negotiate properly.

Just an advice; Accessible roads is an important factor. Tomatoes are perishable items which MUST be handled with great care. I hope this helped.

Sorry when I said price I was referring to buying out right. Any idea? Close to road access and away from road access. Thanks
Re: Bizclass-open-field Tomato Farming In Edo State (heirloom And Hybrid Varieties) by Bizclass: 11:37am On Jan 15, 2017
Farming is practical, thus challenges must be expected. The nursery stage for tomato is not really challenging. Use organic compost like poultry waste. Fill the compost in pierced polythene bags, then sow your seeds(usually two seeds per bag) For me, work will commence on an acre tomorrow while setting up materials for the nursery stage will commence later. By current estimates, an acre will contain between 3500-5000 plants, using these measurements of either 2ft by 6ft or 2.5ft by 5ft. This method is practiced strictly by commercial tomato farmers.The 5ft or 6ft stands for the distance between ridges or rows( the distance from ridge A to ridge B) while the distance between plants in such ridges is set at 2ft or 2.5ft. However, operating this system requires a steady but balanced application of fertilizer. Please do not practice this system if you feel that there maybe some form of "future recession in your pocket". Hybrid and Heirloom are heavy "feeders", absorbing micro-nutrients too quickly( i call them"broiler plants"). I'll be right back.

1 Like

Re: Bizclass-open-field Tomato Farming In Edo State (heirloom And Hybrid Varieties) by Bizclass: 4:16pm On Jan 15, 2017
ice4u999:

Sorry when I said price I was referring to buying out right. Any idea? Close to road access and away from road access. Thanks
Honestly, i don't have an idea.
Re: Bizclass-open-field Tomato Farming In Edo State (heirloom And Hybrid Varieties) by Bizclass: 6:39pm On Jan 16, 2017
ice4u999:

His name is Buchi. 08098695428
Re: Bizclass-open-field Tomato Farming In Edo State (heirloom And Hybrid Varieties) by Bizclass: 7:33pm On Jan 16, 2017
To potential investors, i'm going to provide details on the cost and challenges of setting up an acre for hybrid and heirloom tomato seeds. Basically, this information is NOT a general rule due to the fact that my cost and challenges may not be incurred by you. Instead, this thread is simply a guide to aid interested individuals setup their farms, apply modern farm practices and God's grace, He will bless our hustle with maximum yield.
Re: Bizclass-open-field Tomato Farming In Edo State (heirloom And Hybrid Varieties) by Bizclass: 8:03pm On Jan 16, 2017
I'll begin with the cost of leasing the 4 acres.

JANUARY 14, 2017. Lease granted on these terms.

1. Cost per acre= #10,000.
2. Duration of lease= 2 years(subject to renewal)
3. Mode of Payment= Yearly.
Re: Bizclass-open-field Tomato Farming In Edo State (heirloom And Hybrid Varieties) by Bizclass: 9:05pm On Jan 16, 2017
JANUARY 16, 2017.

Currently, two acres was cleared but i'll upload pics ONLY after the weeds have been removed entirely. This land preparation could take between 5 -7 days depending on the number of available manpower. For now, i'll discuss on a critical factor that all interested individuals must consider before investing their hard-earned capital into tomato farming. It is key to making good profit should you be able to SUSTAIN its presence in your farm. Please i need to Time out. Be right back.
Re: Bizclass-open-field Tomato Farming In Edo State (heirloom And Hybrid Varieties) by Arvinkris(m): 9:48pm On Jan 16, 2017
good works keep it up

(1) (2) (Reply)

International Farmers To Discuss Global Agric Concerns At Illinois Event / Help A Learner In Pig Farming / Elephant Grass And Alfalfa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.