Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,686 members, 7,820,390 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:06 PM

Data Rate Increase, The On Becoming Of A Government - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Data Rate Increase, The On Becoming Of A Government (1741 Views)

Is this a Government Or A Mistake? - BBC News rubbishes Buhari / Is GTD A Government Empowerment Scheme ? / Igbos Have Every Reason Not To Pay Tax And Duties To This Bigot Of A Government (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Data Rate Increase, The On Becoming Of A Government by donogaga(m): 7:35pm On Nov 29, 2016
Sometimes, I am really at a lost as to whose interest the current government is serving under the current recession.

They will take you 10 steps forward today and 50 steps backward tomorrow, the kinda situation similar to the marriage described by Toke Makinwa in her book titled, "On Becoming."

The normal thing a government does under a recessed economy is to cushion its impact on the lower and middle class and make it work more for them. It is the rich and super rich that you tax more to get the funds that you need to develop infrastructure and re-activate the economy.

But the way the current government has done is to make life more difficult for the poor and middle class, the very people who made their coming into power possible.

It is like this government after securing the 'Change' marriage with Nigerians, went outside and engaged in infidelity, caught STI and it is now giving Nigerians STI economic policies.

The prices of essential commodities are virtually out of the reach of the lower class. The middle class are being suffocated by some badly conceived socio-economic policies. In a bid to cure the STI and keep body and soul together, Nigerians now resort to MMM. Shouldn't this be enough worry for the government that said it cares for the people?

And now the communications minister, Adebayo Shittu said that the government will not go back on the policy to tax phone calls and text messages.

What happened to the tax I have been paying with little to show for it? Why should you tax me more to develop the infrastructure in the communication industry? Why should you tax me to make more money for the operators in the industry?

Forget about any workshop or enlightenment campaign. Nigerians are hurt already and any explanation or justification can not work. Kole werk mhen! This distribution of STI economic policies at will has to stop ASAP.

Mr. communication minister, if you are looking for more money to develop the communication industry, tell the federal government to work towards scrapping of the National Assembly. You will make a lot of savings from this.

Mr. Minister, you can also rejig the policy and instead make the operators commit a percentage of their earnings towards developing the communication industry. After all, it is their industry and they make a lot of profit from it.

5 Likes

Re: Data Rate Increase, The On Becoming Of A Government by folhenrry4flizzy(m): 8:03pm On Nov 29, 2016
Let's come together and say 'NO' to
increament in Data, Drivers's license, plate no e. t. c. They are increasing everything now because we kept quiet when they increased fuel pump price. Let's say nooooooooooo! with one voice.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Data Rate Increase, The On Becoming Of A Government by bolanto24(m): 9:38pm On Nov 29, 2016
Barbaric and wicked government. The worst in Nigeria's history.

1 Like

Re: Data Rate Increase, The On Becoming Of A Government by 989900D: 1:11am On Nov 30, 2016
If the figures flying around are anything close to the truth, then I must say:

Buhari's administration is clearly trying so hard to burn whatever is remaining of the trust the people have in it; aggressively advertising for a massive revolt and utter rejection with all these ill-thought-out stupidities . . . increase in everything, without a dime increase in wages? undecided

ATEOTD, Buhari and his entourage are probably somewhere forgetting they are NOTHING without 'we the people', we revolted against 'almighty PDP' and left it in tatters, we will do it again.

3 Likes

Re: Data Rate Increase, The On Becoming Of A Government by Donshegxy10(m): 1:48am On Nov 30, 2016
buhari and his guys are trying our patience. God help me till 2019
Re: Data Rate Increase, The On Becoming Of A Government by Emekamex(m): 1:48am On Nov 30, 2016
989900D:

Buhari's administration is clearly trying so hard to burn whatever is remaining of the trust the people have in it; aggressively advertising for a massive revolt and utter rejection with all these ill-thought-out stupidities . . . increase in everything, without a dime increase in wages? undecided

ATEOTD, Buhari and his entourage are probably somewhere forgetting they are NOTHING without 'we the people', we revolted against 'almighty PDP' and left it in tatters, we will do it again.

You got played son, there is nothing like "almighty" PDP or APC by the way, the corrupt politicians only changed party from PDP to APC, no ideology was changed; things are still the way it is.
We will only get it right when the right set of people new to Nigerian politics are put in charge and not by recycling corrupt politicians and be fooling ourselves in the name of change.

2 Likes

Re: Data Rate Increase, The On Becoming Of A Government by Splashme: 5:00am On Nov 30, 2016
bolanto24:
Barbaric and wicked government. The worst in Nigeria's history.

1 Like

Re: Data Rate Increase, The On Becoming Of A Government by 989900D: 6:14am On Nov 30, 2016
Emekamex:

You got played son, there is nothing like "almighty" PDP or APC by the way, the corrupt politicians only changed party from PDP to APC, no ideology was changed; things are still the way it is.
We will only get it right when the right set of people new to Nigerian politics are put in charge and not by recycling corrupt politicians and be fooling ourselves in the name of change.

"To each his own", at the least, it is less of share the money now.

1 Like

Re: Data Rate Increase, The On Becoming Of A Government by Emekamex(m): 9:42am On Nov 30, 2016
989900D:

"To each his own", at the least, it is less of share the money now.

It is so due to less income to steal and not necessarily a reduction in corrupt practices. You should ask yourself why our budget implementation of 6 trillion (which is 60 percent implemented according to Mr Udoma) is still yet to felt by the general population after several months.
Re: Data Rate Increase, The On Becoming Of A Government by AZeD1(m): 10:28am On Nov 30, 2016
989900D:

The data increase has nothing to do with Buhari and its a purely NCC matter.

I understand were NCC is coming from and in the long run, its purely in the interest of the consumers unfortunately, Nigerians are generally short term thinkers.
Re: Data Rate Increase, The On Becoming Of A Government by 989900D: 11:48am On Nov 30, 2016
AZeD1:

I understand were NCC is coming from and in the long run, its purely in the interest of the consumers unfortunately, Nigerians are generally short term thinkers.

Explain.
Re: Data Rate Increase, The On Becoming Of A Government by gbomojomo(m): 12:04pm On Nov 30, 2016
AZeD1:

SAME THING WAS SAID ABOUT FUEL.

THIS GOVT IS INSENSITIVE TO OUR PLIGHT

1 Like

Re: Data Rate Increase, The On Becoming Of A Government by AZeD1(m): 12:09pm On Nov 30, 2016
989900D:

Explain.
Predatory pricing. The Big four can sell data to consumers below market rate to increase market share, once the smaller players are out of the market, they increase the price/ deliver poor services and the consumer has no choice.
This is not the first time NCC has forced a telco to increase prices. MTN dropped on net calls to a ridiculous rate and while that looked good for the subscribers, it was bad for the economy. By reducing the call on net call rates, MTN knew that with their large market share, their subscribers won't call other networks, thereby forcing other subscribers on to their network.

It the same thing with Data, GLO started it and they didn't do it because they love their subscribers, they just have enough clout to run at a loss for a while till their competitors close shop.

Its the same reason nobody can compete with Dangote in Nigeria.
Its the same reason Facebook freebasic was not allowed in India but we foolishly allowed it here.
Re: Data Rate Increase, The On Becoming Of A Government by 989900D: 12:14pm On Nov 30, 2016
AZeD1:

Predatory pricing. The Big four can sell data to consumers below market rate to increase market share, once the smaller players are out of the market, they increase the price/ deliver poor services and the consumer has no choice.
This is not the first time NCC has forced a telco to increase prices. MTN dropped on net calls to a ridiculous rate and while that looked good for the subscribers, it was bad for the economy. By reducing the call on net call rates, MTN knew that with their large market share, their subscribers won't call other networks, thereby forcing other subscribers on to their network.

It the same thing with Data, GLO started it and they didn't do it because they love their subscribers, they just have enough clout to run at a loss for a while till their competitors close shop.

Its the same reason Facebook freebasic was not allowed in India but we foolishly allowed it here.

The above is so laughable in a capitalist economy.

OTOH, so, the masses take the hit for the smaller companies? Good logic.
sad undecided

2 Likes

Re: Data Rate Increase, The On Becoming Of A Government by AZeD1(m): 12:44pm On Nov 30, 2016
989900D:

The above is so laughable in a capitalist economy.

OTOH, so, the masses take the hit for the smaller companies? Good logic.
sad undecided

Without controls, a capitalist economy becomes a monopolistic economy.

People seem to think this is politics and the government trying to inflict hard ship on the masses but its not.

Germany forcing a company to increase prices
http://www.nytimes.com/2000/09/09/business/international-business-germany-says-wal-mart-must-raise-prices.html

French company fined for reducing data cost
http://www.computerweekly.com/news/2240051768/Wanadoo-fined-1035m-for-stifling-competition

Amazon fined for free shipping in France.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/retailandconsumer/2783710/France-hits-Amazon-with-1000-a-day-fine.html
Re: Data Rate Increase, The On Becoming Of A Government by AllTheWayUp: 1:05pm On Nov 30, 2016
grin grin grin

Re: Data Rate Increase, The On Becoming Of A Government by truthspeaks: 1:11pm On Nov 30, 2016
Buhari no be am
Re: Data Rate Increase, The On Becoming Of A Government by Olabestonic001(m): 1:43pm On Nov 30, 2016
AZeD1:

Your analysis seems economically correct but it falls short on the true knowledge of the telecommunication sector.

1 Like

Re: Data Rate Increase, The On Becoming Of A Government by seunny4lif(m): 1:47pm On Nov 30, 2016
One chance government cheesy grin
By the time this government is thru with us
GEJ grin grin
Re: Data Rate Increase, The On Becoming Of A Government by AZeD1(m): 2:12pm On Nov 30, 2016
Olabestonic001:

Your analysis seems economically correct but it falls short on the true knowledge of the telecommunication sector.

If you read the NCC post, they said "this rate will subsist pending the finalisation of the study on the determination of cost-based pricing for retail broadband and data services in Nigeria"

IN technology, prices drop overtime so i am willing to give NCC the benefit of the doubt.

People forget or don't even know that this floor pricing was removed by NCC last year with a caveat that if there was a distortion in the market, it would be reinstalled.
Re: Data Rate Increase, The On Becoming Of A Government by sunnyt1(m): 2:17pm On Nov 30, 2016
AZeD1:

by ur logic, the best they can do is to make the masses suffer lik they did by increasing pump price
Re: Data Rate Increase, The On Becoming Of A Government by 1Rebel: 2:18pm On Nov 30, 2016
folhenrry4flizzy:
Let's come together and say 'NO' to
increament in Data, Drivers's license, plate no e. t. c. They are increasing everything now because we kept quiet when they increased fuel pump price. Let's say nooooooooooo! with one voice.

We the Igbos will not join you say whatever you're saying. Before the elections, we warned and warned. But you afonjas refused to listen. Now tinubu (your god) has been used like tissue paper, una eye don dey clear.

Enjoy your change. grin grin
Re: Data Rate Increase, The On Becoming Of A Government by FunkyMetahuman: 2:26pm On Nov 30, 2016
AZeD1:

okay lemme see.

I run a poultry business as a side business.
Big farms like zartech, Obansanjo farm etc sell their own eggs to customers at way cheaper price because they get their feeds directly from the farmers, I couldnt afford to sell my own eggs at the same rate as the big companies.

Should the government come to my rescue by increasing the price of eggs for the consumer or loan me enough money or incentives to be able to compete with bigger companies?

Why should consumer bear the brunt of my own inability to compete?
Re: Data Rate Increase, The On Becoming Of A Government by AZeD1(m): 3:18pm On Nov 30, 2016
FunkyMetahuman:
okay lemme see.

I run a poultry business as a side business.
Big farms like zartech, Obansanjo farm etc sell their own eggs to customers at way cheaper price because they get their feeds directly from the farmers, I couldnt afford to sell my own eggs at the same rate as the big companies.

Should the government come to my rescue by increasing the price of eggs for the consumer or loan me enough money or incentives to be able to compete with bigger companies?

Why should consumer bear the brunt of my own inability to compete?

http://www.nytimes.com/2000/09/09/business/international-business-germany-says-wal-mart-must-raise-prices.html

http://www.computerweekly.com/news/2240051768/Wanadoo-fined-1035m-for-stifling-competition

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/retailandconsumer/2783710/France-hits-Amazon-with-1000-a-day-fine.html

Examples of countries that have forced companies to increase price so you know its not a "Buhari is trying to silence the masses issue".
If you don't understand predatory pricing you can't understand what i am saying.
Re: Data Rate Increase, The On Becoming Of A Government by FunkyMetahuman: 4:25pm On Nov 30, 2016
AZeD1:

Examples of countries that have forced companies to increase price so you know its not a "Buhari is trying to silence the masses issue".
If you don't understand predatory pricing you can't understand what i am saying.
first, because it happened in other country doesn't make it right? Did you know how hard people must have campaigned against such policies in other places too?

Did you notice all the links you posted happened around 2000?

And you didn't answer my question..

By the way, you really don't understand predatory pricing.
You can only fear predatory pricing in a case where only one company is the one producing a particular product, then reduced the price to prevent entrant.

Exactly what Dangote, is doing with cement, which has made it hard for other people to invest in cement.. Same thing he is gonna do when his refinery comes on board.

Reduce the price when there is competition and the increase it when there is no competition.

Can we say the same about Nigeria telecommunication?
We have 5 solid companies that are ready to battle it out any day.
Even if the small competitions pack up, is it gonna change anything?

1 Like

Re: Data Rate Increase, The On Becoming Of A Government by loopmangoat(m): 4:39pm On Nov 30, 2016
I can't believe that boko hari's fools or do i call them zombies are defending the tariff increase
One day buhari will be shitting and urinating on them and they will still be shouting Sai
Buhari’s zombies are hopeless
Re: Data Rate Increase, The On Becoming Of A Government by AZeD1(m): 5:03pm On Nov 30, 2016
FunkyMetahuman:
first, because it happened in other country doesn't make it right? Did you know how hard people must have campaigned against such policies in other places too?

Did you notice all the links you posted happened around 2000?

And you didn't answer my question..

By the way, you really don't understand predatory pricing.
You can only fear predatory pricing in a case where only one company is the one producing a particular product, then reduced the price to prevent entrant.

Exactly what Dangote, is doing with cement, which has made it hard for other people to invest in cement.. Same thing he is gonna do when his refinery comes on board.

Reduce the price when there is competition and the increase it when there is no competition.

Can we say the same about Nigeria telecommunication?
We have 5 solid companies that are ready to battle it out any day.
Even if the small competitions pack up, is it gonna change anything?
Nigerian Telcos would practice predatory pricing if giving the opportunity. MTN tried doing it by reducing on net calls but NCC imposed a floor price.
Glo is doing the same thing with Data (they sell wholesale and also retail).

MTN has the voice market share, Glo is gunning for Data market share, who says the two companies can't make a pact to force Airtel and Etisalat out of the market?

I know Dangote is doing it but if someone tries to regulate him, people would say and Buhari /(insert politician) here hates the masses

Its wrong for people to put the blame on Buhari or ascribe this to politics when its purely a business matter.
Re: Data Rate Increase, The On Becoming Of A Government by FunkyMetahuman: 5:30pm On Nov 30, 2016
AZeD1:

Nigerian Telcos would practice predatory pricing if giving the opportunity. MTN tried doing it by reducing on net calls but NCC imposed a floor price.
Glo is doing the same thing with Data (they sell wholesale and also retail).

MTN has the voice market share, Glo is gunning for Data market share, who says the two companies can't make a pact to force Airtel and Etisalat out of the market?

I know Dangote is doing it but if someone tries to regulate him, people would say and Buhari /(insert politician) here hates the masses

Its wrong for people to put the blame on Buhari or ascribe this to politics when its purely a business matter.
and what will etisalat and Airtel be looking at when Glo and Mtn are gunning for data and call shares?

Why would they want to compete with their counterpart when ncc is readily available to protect them even with abysmal performance?

Think about it, if the all the telecoms company have similar data price, what is the point of choosing Mtn over Airtel, or Glo over etisalat since you are gonna get the same value for your money wherever you go.

No sane country controls the price of anything like we always love to do here?

How many times have people cried over dangotes monopoly?
I don't think anybody will cry if Buhari tries to break the monopoly, But he has to do it with brain.
E.g, saying dangotes should increase the price of cement even when there is no other company available yet to stiff the competition is totally stupid.
Re: Data Rate Increase, The On Becoming Of A Government by AZeD1(m): 8:12pm On Nov 30, 2016
FunkyMetahuman:
and what will etisalat and Airtel be looking at when Glo and Mtn are gunning for data and call shares?
MTN has close to 50% of the voice market share, if they drop on net calls to 1N per minute, that would create a calling club whereby MTN users would only call fellow MTN users and by virtue of MTN's market share other subscribers would be forced to get an MTN SIM and there's almost nothing the remaining 3 companies can do about it.

Glo has their own submarine cable, Airtel and Etisalat don't so glo can go the predatory pricing route and there's little Airtel and Etisalat can do to compete.

FunkyMetahuman:
Think about it, if the all the telecoms company have similar data price, what is the point of choosing Mtn over Airtel, or Glo over etisalat since you are gonna get the same value for your money wherever you go.

Quality of service.

All NCC did was set a floor price, and from the data i have seen, Etisalat is currently selling above the floor rate, which in theory means nothing would have changed for Etisalat.

I don't support price controls but with the kind of people we have in Nigeria, trust me if they are not checked, they'll fleece the populace without blinking.
Re: Data Rate Increase, The On Becoming Of A Government by 4Play(m): 9:08pm On Nov 30, 2016
AZeD1

Your point is superficial given the absence of the publication by the NCC of a document detailing how they calculated that the pricing adopted by the Big 4 amounts to some form of unfair market practice. (I may have missed such publication so I would be obliged if you can point me in the right direction).

Notably, the examples you give are individual companies with inordinate market share being singled out for punishment, e.g Amazon. To tell the 4 leading companies to increase their prices to accommodate new entrants smacks of influence peddling, i.e., politically connected new firms seeking to use govt leverage to expand market access.

Further, without a clear and transparent process - as we would have in the West - with open and public hearings/consultations involving affected firms which allows the public to critique how this decision was arrived at, any such meddling by the government provides further cause for the loss of investor confidence and capital flight (one of the main reasons why Nigeria is mired in recession).

Any intelligent person can concoct an argument as to why an increase in prices is necessary for the masses. In response, I say: show me the maths. Even more importantly, why the lack of transparency?

2 Likes

Re: Data Rate Increase, The On Becoming Of A Government by AZeD1(m): 9:49pm On Nov 30, 2016
4Play:
AZeD1

Your point is superficial given the absence of the publication by the NCC of a document detailing how they calculated that the pricing adopted by the Big 4 amounts to some form of unfair market practice. (I may have missed such publication so I would be obliged if you can point me in the right direction).

Notably, the examples you give are individual companies with inordinate market share being singled out for punishment, e.g Amazon. To tell the 4 leading companies to increase their prices to accommodate new entrants smacks of influence peddling, i.e., politically connected new firms seeking to use govt leverage to expand market access.

Further, without a clear and transparent process - as we would have in the West - with open and public hearings/consultations involving affected firms which allows the public to critique how this decision was arrived at, any such meddling by the government provides further cause for the loss of investor confidence and capital flight (one of the main reasons why Nigeria is mired in recession).

Any intelligent person can concoct an argument as to why an increase in prices is necessary for the masses. In response, I say: show me the maths. Even more importantly, why the lack of transparency?
Etisalat currently sells above the floor price at 0.93/MB

A majority don't know this floor price was removed October last year by this same NCC, so you can't say they don't know what they are doing.
Re: Data Rate Increase, The On Becoming Of A Government by FunkyMetahuman: 9:52pm On Nov 30, 2016
AZeD1:

MTN has close to 50% of the voice market share, if they drop on net calls to 1N per minute, that would create a calling club whereby MTN users would only call fellow MTN users and by virtue of MTN's market share other subscribers would be forced to get an MTN SIM and there's almost nothing the remaining 3 companies can do about it.

Glo has their own submarine cable, Airtel and Etisalat don't so glo can go the predatory pricing route and there's little Airtel and Etisalat can do to compete.

Quality of service.

All NCC did was set a floor price, and from the data i have seen, Etisalat is currently selling above the floor rate, which in theory means nothing would have changed for Etisalat.

I don't support price controls but with the kind of people we have in Nigeria, trust me if they are not checked, they'll fleece the populace without blinking.

and what stopped other networks from getting their own cable? Oh they didnt want to invest heavily in Nigeria. They just want to make the profit and go.

If quality of service won't make me go to other network, what makes you think Mtn creating a club, which other networks could do by the way, will make me go to Mtn?
Didn't you see you contradicted yourself here?

If Mtn is calling at 1 naira and the network is terrible, do you think anyone is gonna use Mtn? By the way, are we talking about Nigeria where almost everyone has Sim card of each network?

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Why We Wish Our Presidents Dead. / Senator Isiaka Didn't Die, He Was Murdered / Photos:wife Of Late Ex-niger State Governor Receives Mc Tagwaye In Minna

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 295
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.