Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,374 members, 7,819,353 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:47 PM

Are you in favor of jury trial in Nigeria? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Are you in favor of jury trial in Nigeria? (809 Views)

Femi Fani-Kayode & Osita Chidoka In Court For Nnamdi Kanu's Trial In Igbo Attire / Saraki & His Supporters Jubilating After CCT Trial in Abuja Today (Pics, Video) / Forgery: Saraki, Others’ Trial In Order, Court Tells AGF, IGP (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are you in favor of jury trial in Nigeria? by Blue3k(m): 8:17pm On Nov 30, 2016
I'm taking a quick poll on subject. We have issues with corruption in judiciary branch. Now the question is are you ready for jury trial of your peers? I left a 3 question survey please answer.

Survey link:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/RBVVQCN

Front page: Lalasticlala mynd44
Re: Are you in favor of jury trial in Nigeria? by Blue3k(m): 2:53pm On Dec 01, 2016
Bump
Re: Are you in favor of jury trial in Nigeria? by davidif: 7:07pm On Dec 31, 2016
Blue3k:
I'm taking a quick poll on subject. We have issue with curruption in judiciary branch. Now the question is are you ready to jury trial of your peers? I left a 3 question survey please answer.

Survey link:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/RBVVQCN

Man, I have been pondering over these question for a while but I am still not sure whether trial by jury can work in a very communal society like naija where the level of poverty is so high (making the jurors susceptible to be bought) and almost everyone knows someone who knows someone who is probably on the jury.
Imagine looking at the juror and seeing someone I know and trying to badger them to favor me.

1 Like

Re: Are you in favor of jury trial in Nigeria? by Blue3k(m): 3:50pm On Jan 01, 2017
Results of the poll so far.

Re: Are you in favor of jury trial in Nigeria? by spenca: 4:02pm On Jan 01, 2017
Nigeria is not morally and ethical ready for that . What does the average Nigerian know about acts can be justified as right rather than those dictated in the holy books ?

Very few persons would form the jury hence monopoly of justice

1 Like

Re: Are you in favor of jury trial in Nigeria? by Blue3k(m): 4:16pm On Jan 01, 2017
spenca:
Nigeria is not morally and ethical ready for that . What does the average Nigerian know about acts can be justified as right rather than those dictated in the holy books ?

Very few persons would form the jury hence monopoly of justice

Oh well thanks for response feel free to vote for your preferences. I'll bump this thread every so often to as votes come in.
Re: Are you in favor of jury trial in Nigeria? by Blue3k(m): 4:59pm On Jan 21, 2017
davidif:

Man, I have been pondering over these question for a while but I am still not sure whether trial by jury can work in a very poor and communal country like naija where the level of poverty is high and almost everyone knows someone who knows someone who is probably on the jury.
I can imagine looking at the juror and seeing someone I know and trying to badger them to favor me.

Facts my mom confirmed this when she was in legal field in Nigeria. People come out of wood work.

I do woder though since your ok with these same type of people electing judges, police chiefs and other sorts of officals. Do you think they could be trusted in that area?

1 Like

Re: Are you in favor of jury trial in Nigeria? by davidif: 6:51pm On Jan 21, 2017
Blue3k:

Facts my mom confirmed this when she was in legal field in Nigeria. People come out of wood work.

I do woder though since your ok with these same type of people electing judges, police chiefs and other sorts of officals. Do you think they could be trusted in that area?

Elections are different as far as i am concerned. You can't bribe everyone. The elections i am calling for are non-partisan elections. In other words, none of the candidates should be affiliated with a party. They should all be running independently.
Re: Are you in favor of jury trial in Nigeria? by Nobody: 8:19pm On Jan 21, 2017
It's an interesting concept especially if you read lots of John Grisham's novel but I don't know how it is going to work in Nigeria.
Re: Are you in favor of jury trial in Nigeria? by Blue3k(m): 4:07pm On Jan 22, 2017
I got two more responses to my survey. People in forum have their doubts but when they vote they all seem in favor of Jury trials. Interesting thing is you guys trust your peers to have just rule than judges (bench).

The sentiments for judicial branch seem mixed.

Re: Are you in favor of jury trial in Nigeria? by Blue3k(m): 7:37pm On Feb 23, 2020
Lol just remembered this thread. Im wondering is there anything stopping any state from implementing this idea. It seems the tiny sample size I have are cool with being judged by their peers instead of the judge. It's weird jury trial never made its way into Nigeria inspite of UK colonial history.
Re: Are you in favor of jury trial in Nigeria? by Blue3k(m): 1:42pm On Feb 24, 2020
Bump

(1) (Reply)

I Disvirgined My Wife – Governor Of Cross River State, Ben Ayade / Checkout This Hilarious Photo Of Zahra Buhari & Hubby Indimi At Their Wedding / Important Message To All Nairaland Political Keyboard Warriors

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.