Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,800 members, 7,813,632 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 03:20 PM

How Does Your Car React When You Disconnect The Battery? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How Does Your Car React When You Disconnect The Battery? (7625 Views)

Why Is The Engine Fan Connected Direct To The Battery / How To Enter Into Your Keyless Entry Car When The Battery Is Dead. / 10 Things That Can Make Your Car Look More Beautiful (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Does Your Car React When You Disconnect The Battery? by AutoJoshNG: 9:58am On Dec 01, 2016
This observation started about 5 years ago when a friend won't understand my refusal to allow him jumpstart his car with my car battery. In a bid to pacify him, I paid a battery charger who did the job in a jiffy.

My car was a 2003 Toyota Camry and I had noticed the car vibrates and shivers once the battery terminals were removed and reconnected. The engine revs (RPM) fluctuates and the car jerks when in motion. Abi nah cold they catch you?? This could happen for about 30 minutes or more before the engine speed would normalize.

Afterwords, I began to notice other cars that have their own peculiar syndrome.

These are some of the issues I have seen in other cars when their batteries are disconnected:

1) Passenger's window will not roll down for 2 days before it starts to work again.
2) I have also seen check engine lights come up falsely.
3) AC stopped working until it was reprogrammed with a scan tool.
4) Faulty airbag code comes on.
5) Some cars may not even start at all.

Thank God my current car does not have any of these issues. However, I am sure some of us still get these annoying battery problems.

Tell us the attitude your car gives when you disconnect the battery and how you manage it.

https://autojosh.com/disconnect-the-battery/

Cc
Lalasticlala
Mynd44
Ishilove
Marpol
Semid4lyfe
Obinoscopy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Does Your Car React When You Disconnect The Battery? by Benjom(m): 11:20am On Dec 01, 2016
Noted... It's good to be enlightened... Thanks for the observation OP.

1 Like

Re: How Does Your Car React When You Disconnect The Battery? by dudebuck: 12:02pm On Dec 01, 2016
Yes, before you disconnect the battery, you must switch off the car and wait for 15 to 30 minutes, so that all the systems and their ecu will go to sleep.

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Does Your Car React When You Disconnect The Battery? by uboma(m): 12:34pm On Dec 01, 2016
my car do not have any issue like the ones listed by the op whenever the battery is reconnected.

the only thing I have noticed though is that the MPG reading no longer shows.

I am still looking for the trick to bring it back on.

my car is a BMW 323i Touring 2000 model.

1 Like

Re: How Does Your Car React When You Disconnect The Battery? by GAZZUZZ(m): 4:55am On Dec 02, 2016
most people do not read the car manual.

1) Passenger's window will not roll down for 2 days before it starts to work again.
2) I have also seen check engine lights come up falsely.
3) AC stopped working until it was reprogrammed with a scan tool.
4) Faulty airbag code comes on.
5) Some cars may not even start at all.

1 Like

Re: How Does Your Car React When You Disconnect The Battery? by lonelydora: 6:22am On Dec 02, 2016
Well, I haven't noticed such in my car.
Re: How Does Your Car React When You Disconnect The Battery? by Nobody: 6:55am On Dec 23, 2016
He done get headache
Re: How Does Your Car React When You Disconnect The Battery? by veekid(m): 6:56am On Dec 23, 2016
Ah no get car ....... op

1 Like

Re: How Does Your Car React When You Disconnect The Battery? by leksmedia: 6:56am On Dec 23, 2016
Nice info
Re: How Does Your Car React When You Disconnect The Battery? by daniska3yaro(m): 6:59am On Dec 23, 2016
The car shake as u said wen removing the battery head on toyota camary 2013 and I even notice the shake on a pontiac vibe of my friend.
Re: How Does Your Car React When You Disconnect The Battery? by voltront: 6:59am On Dec 23, 2016
My radio request for a code. That's all. Honda civic

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Does Your Car React When You Disconnect The Battery? by Nobody: 7:01am On Dec 23, 2016
my own BMX bicycle no dey do like this

2 Likes

Re: How Does Your Car React When You Disconnect The Battery? by skinnyzsam(m): 7:01am On Dec 23, 2016
made it again to firs page yet to own a car, but next for sure will drive one
Re: How Does Your Car React When You Disconnect The Battery? by Flashaldrin(m): 7:01am On Dec 23, 2016
ok
Re: How Does Your Car React When You Disconnect The Battery? by Tunndeh(m): 7:05am On Dec 23, 2016
The only thing I noticed is that when ever I remove the battery the vibration increases for 15mins or so
Re: How Does Your Car React When You Disconnect The Battery? by symbianDON(m): 7:06am On Dec 23, 2016
I think toyota cars are more prone to the after effects of a disconnected battery. it's likely due to the ECU attempting to recalibrate itself or something like that. I noticed it when I owned a Camry too. however, I haven't noticed it in my accord. except for the radio code request, nothing more.
Re: How Does Your Car React When You Disconnect The Battery? by MilesLamar(m): 7:09am On Dec 23, 2016
she starts crying...

1 Like

Re: How Does Your Car React When You Disconnect The Battery? by Okaakoko(m): 7:10am On Dec 23, 2016
nothing, except the tape and the clock that will reset

1 Like

Re: How Does Your Car React When You Disconnect The Battery? by sirOrubebe: 7:12am On Dec 23, 2016
It reacts like Nigerians on social media tongue

1 Like

Re: How Does Your Car React When You Disconnect The Battery? by jeff1607(m): 7:15am On Dec 23, 2016
HMMMMMMMMMM
Re: How Does Your Car React When You Disconnect The Battery? by kingreign(m): 7:15am On Dec 23, 2016
Pls, Mercedes Peugeot, Opel etc fans, put your key in the ignition crank the car on and then turn off the ignition and remove the battery. Reconnect the battery and try restarting the car with the key.

I'd not be held liable for any immobilizer issues o grin grin
Re: How Does Your Car React When You Disconnect The Battery? by sakalisis(m): 7:22am On Dec 23, 2016
Okay
Re: How Does Your Car React When You Disconnect The Battery? by SirAweezy(m): 7:29am On Dec 23, 2016
Car stereo system not working and reverse camera not showing again 2014 4runner. It's been weeks now and the driver said it was when he removed the battery. That we need to use computer to re program it.

Don't know how true and what to do sef
Re: How Does Your Car React When You Disconnect The Battery? by ayobase(m): 7:29am On Dec 23, 2016
GAZZUZZ:
most people do not read the car manual.

Morning Boss.

So, the OP's observations are all true.

What do you recommend?
Re: How Does Your Car React When You Disconnect The Battery? by Rainmaker69(m): 7:37am On Dec 23, 2016
Very interesting topic... I also had the same experience some years ago on the 2003 Camry. The first time it happened, I was like MMM! (moku mogbe modaran). My Kazeem told me that the sensor needed to reset and that i should let the engine steam, so I left it running for like 30 mins.
Well, i bought a jumper kit to avoid disconnecting the battery terminals. Didn't experience it again until i sold the car.
Re: How Does Your Car React When You Disconnect The Battery? by smileysmiles(f): 7:53am On Dec 23, 2016
Car stereo went into safe mode.
Re: How Does Your Car React When You Disconnect The Battery? by dallyemmy: 8:02am On Dec 23, 2016
Once you disconnect your battery head it disrupts the Engine/Powertrain Control Module (ECM/PCM) of your vehicle. It would take about 30 minutes driving for the vehicle's ECM/PCM to reconfigure the performance of the vehicle
Re: How Does Your Car React When You Disconnect The Battery? by sharpchap: 8:16am On Dec 23, 2016
It's normal in those camrys (big for nothing). Wot I do is switch on the a/c.

1 Like

Re: How Does Your Car React When You Disconnect The Battery? by shitshappen(m): 8:29am On Dec 23, 2016
The vibration lasts for a whole day for my 08 Camry, very annoying.
The last time a change the battery of my bmw E70 ...eh...time will fail me .

(1) (2) (Reply)

Mitsubishi Recalls 368,000 Vehicles As They Constitute Major Hazards / FRSC Generates N1.6bn From Fines In 10 Months / Honda And Toyota Recall Additional 1million Vehicles For Faulty Takata Airbags

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.