Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,839 members, 7,810,227 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:02 AM

HIV Facts In Nigeria & World AIDS Day - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / HIV Facts In Nigeria & World AIDS Day (1139 Views)

World AIDS Day: Despite Efforts, Challenges Still Persist / World AIDS Day: African Countries With The Highest Number Of HIV/AIDS Patients / World AIDS Day: HIV And AIDS Facts, Key Points & Statistics In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

HIV Facts In Nigeria & World AIDS Day by CallMeNJay: 9:52pm On Dec 01, 2016
Cc: Lalasticlala

Every December 1st is Internationally Celebrated as World AIDS DAY, And So December 1st 2016 Came and i didn't see any Post on Nairaland F.P to celebrate World AIDS Day and create awareness about HIV &AIDS

In my part of Town Rumuokoro- Port Harcourt as part of activities marking the 2016 WORLD AIDS DAY we Carried Out Free HIV COUNSELLING And TESTING For Most At Risk Populations (MARPs) at Rumuokoro roundabout and it’s Environs.
By so doing many of our Target groups saw reasons to know their HIV Status and all those tested Positive were Successfully Linked to Treatment in line with UNAIDs 90:90:90.

Quick Facts About HIV/AIDS in Nigeria.
First Two Cases of HIV in Nigeria was recorded in Lagos 1985
31 Years After (2016) We have an estimate of 3.4 Million Nigerians Living with HIV AIDs.
National HIV Prevalence is 3.2 %
State with the Highest HIV Prevalence rate is RIVERS STATE 15.5 %
State with the lowest HIV Prevalence rate is EKITI STATE 0.2 %

HIV is no Longer a Death Sentence, Just like Every other Ailment (Diabetes, Cancer, Sickle Cell, Hypertenson etc ) , HIV/AIDs can be Effectively managed and People Living With HIV (PLHIV) can as well live a healthy,normal life and raise families who are not positive.
HIV can only be passed on from person to person if infected body fluids (such as blood, semen, vaginal or anal secretions and breast milk) get into your bloodstream

The five main ways HIV can be transfered are:

•unprotected sex
•From mother to child during pregnancy, childbirth or breastfeeding
•Injecting drugs with a needle that has infected blood in it
•Infected blood donations or organ transplants
•Sharing of Sharp unsterilized objects.
You cannot get HIV from…

√Someone who doesn’t have HIV(You can only get HIV from someone who is already infected with HIV.)√

√Touching someone who has HIV(HIV can’t survive outside of the body so you won’t get HIV from touching someone, hugging them or shaking their hand.)

√Sweat, tears, urine or faeces of someone who has HIV(There is no HIV in an infected person’s sweat, tears, urine or faeces.)

√Mutual masturbation(Mutual masturbation, fingering and hand-jobs are all safe from HIV. However, if you use intimacy gadgets make sure you use a new condom on them when switching between partners.)

√Insects([/b]You cannot get HIV from insects. When an insect (such as a mosquito) bites you it sucks your blood – it does not inject the blood of the last person it bit.)

√Air (HIV cannot survive in the air so coughing, sneezing or spitting cannot transmit HIV.)

[b]√Water
(HIV can’t survive in water, so you won’t get HIV from swimming pools, baths, shower areas or from drinking water.)

√Toilet seats, tables, door handles, cutlery, sharing towels(HIV doesn’t survive on surfaces, so you can’t get HIV from any of these.)

√Used condoms (HIV can only survive for a really short amount of time outside of the body. Even if the condom had sperm from an HIV-positive person in it, the HIV would be dead.)

√Kissing (There is such a small amount of HIV in the saliva of an infected person that HIV can’t be passed on from kissing. There is only a risk if you both have large open sores or bleeding gums and blood is exchanged).

√MouthAction (As with kissing, the risk of HIV from MouthAction is so small unless you or your partner have large open sores on the genital area or bleeding gums/sores in your mouth. Always use a condom or dental dam to eliminate the risk.)

Go get yourself tested and live a Healthy Lifestyle.(HIV Testing & Drugs are Free)
#AIDS2016
#MANProjectFoundation
#SFHNigeria #SHiPSforMarps
#StopTheStigma
#EndAIDS
#UNAIDs90:90:90

Re: HIV Facts In Nigeria & World AIDS Day by Nobody: 6:44am On Dec 02, 2016
Above all show LOVE,CARE and SURPPORT to those living with hiv and aids, many in benue are living with the disease and are being discriminated and humiliated by friends,family,place of work etc.

Scary: six(6) of my friends are HIV positive, another one tested positive just yesterday, dec 1. Some times I get scared of them, but they are my friends I can just help but to come close and cheer them up.

Am begging people especially young people to be careful and zip up. TB is not good.

1 Like

Re: HIV Facts In Nigeria & World AIDS Day by CallMeNJay: 11:07am On Dec 02, 2016
Otenestbestyaho:
Above all show LOVE,CARE and SURPPORT to those living with hiv and aids, many in benue are living with the disease and are being discriminated and humiliated by friends,family,place of work etc.

Scary: six(6) of my friends are HIV positive, another one tested positive just yesterday, dec 1. Some times I get scared of them, but they are my friends I can just help but to come close and cheer them up.

Am begging people especially young people to be careful and zip up. TB is not good.

Great insight , I think our biggest issue is Stigma and wrong information.

If the right message is passed i am certain HIV/AIDs stigma will be reduced and People Living with HIV (PLHIV) can have access to quality care and support. You can as well continue to support your friends and encourage them to take their drugs and keepto their clinic visits.

The antiretroviral combination drugs can successfully reduce the viral load of those affected by so doing they can live normal healthy Life and raise families who are not positive.

(1) (Reply)

Simply Get Rid Of Cockroaches In Your Home In 4 Easy Steps (WORKS) / Rabbit Meat: Health Benefits / Natural Man Power Booster

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.