Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,361 members, 7,819,300 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:59 PM

Senate Resolves Controversy On Successor In Event Of Death - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Senate Resolves Controversy On Successor In Event Of Death (18215 Views)

2019: Gov. Okorocha Open Up On Successor, Gives Reasons / God Will Choose My Successor - Fayose - The Nation / Dignitaries At The Ground Breaking Event Of Lagos-Ibadan Railway Project. PICS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Senate Resolves Controversy On Successor In Event Of Death by Nobody: 2:48pm On Dec 02, 2016
kennydee05:
Why not state that the second position from the primary conducted should replace the dead candidate instead of conducting fresh primaries that might result into another hooliganism activities or waste of public fund.

Then the party with the late senator would have been robbed of the mandate which will also paved the way for a legal rancour and constitutional crisis as well.

The best option is to conduct another election so that the electorate's can choose who represents them at the Senate.
Re: Senate Resolves Controversy On Successor In Event Of Death by ayila13(m): 2:49pm On Dec 02, 2016
e concern me?
Re: Senate Resolves Controversy On Successor In Event Of Death by crazygod(m): 2:49pm On Dec 02, 2016
How does this improve electricity in my area angry

1 Like

Re: Senate Resolves Controversy On Successor In Event Of Death by Aburi001: 2:51pm On Dec 02, 2016
Chikelue2000:
Good one but what about senators defecting to other parties?. I think he or she should automatically lose his/her seat
were you asking the Senators here on this platform or Nairalanders?
Re: Senate Resolves Controversy On Successor In Event Of Death by Nobody: 3:00pm On Dec 02, 2016
kennydee05:
Why not state that the second position from the primary conducted should replace the dead candidate instead of conducting fresh primaries that might result into another hooliganism activities or waste of public fund.

U get sense pass d entire senate. Nigeria is just so fukced up
Re: Senate Resolves Controversy On Successor In Event Of Death by ochubaebube(m): 3:13pm On Dec 02, 2016
RisMas:
This new law gets kleg, Its very simple. Lets assume that election is conducted in Kwara state, we all know that APC and PDP are on ground and it is also known fact that other light weight political parties will participate in the election.

Now, if PDP sees that APC is gaining ground on election day, PDP might use thug to assassinate a light weight ACCORD party candidate, hence, the loser will go to court and claim that the election is null and void because ACCORD PARTY candidate died before the announcement of result.

This amendment will create another avenue for lawyers to chop more money and encourage political assassination. smiley smiley

U misunderstood the proposed amendment. Siting your example, if an accord party candidate died before election or announcement of result, Accord party will be given 14days to run a fresh primary within itself and INEC will continue the electoral process within 21days. The election will not be null and void simply because an Accord candidate died before announcement of result.

BTW: The clause 3(c) is a subtle way of bringing us back to the past. How could they make such amendment. this means the politicians can still rig the election like they have always done in the past. This clause downsized the importance of the card reader and hence makes it unimportant as well as creates room for the old method of rigging elections coming back. PLEASE REMOVE CLAUSE 3(c). It is against the progress of democracy and the positive usage of the card readers.
Re: Senate Resolves Controversy On Successor In Event Of Death by Bimpe29: 3:22pm On Dec 02, 2016
Man made laws can and will never be satisfactorily enacted.
Re: Senate Resolves Controversy On Successor In Event Of Death by Aristo3146(m): 3:32pm On Dec 02, 2016
kennydee05:
Bros na waoooh...Na civil coup u dey invite be dat na...second person for primaries go always dey look forward to assassinate the flag bearer before election is announced nah...
Re: Senate Resolves Controversy On Successor In Event Of Death by OlujobaSamuel: 3:37pm On Dec 02, 2016
The vice to be or 2nd in primary should step in, what if it's an inconsequential candidate that died, will they allow such to delay the election, how about the fund for postponement, what if it happens during casting of votes, will another election take place at such PU.
Make this people dey use their head na
On card reader, I don't support the idea of manual accreditation, they should force inec to perfect their ways, why budget billions for an unreliable system, the error rate should be minimal not the mass card failure we hear during accreditation
Re: Senate Resolves Controversy On Successor In Event Of Death by basadenet: 3:55pm On Dec 02, 2016
Nice bill but I disagree with aspect that says in event of card malfunction, manual voting to be used. To me it will encourage rigging and most party will ensure the card dont work, so as to manipulate. It is sad.
Re: Senate Resolves Controversy On Successor In Event Of Death by Yahami(m): 3:56pm On Dec 02, 2016
kennydee05:

Well it's your view but it can't be so, 'course there are instance were by some political party bring some one to general election with unopposed at the primary election. Because of his personality to the party or what so ever as thus have no second Runner off... With fresh primary it's remain the best uption
Re: Senate Resolves Controversy On Successor In Event Of Death by olujastro: 4:10pm On Dec 02, 2016
ochubaebube:

U misunderstood the proposed amendment. Siting your example, if an accord party candidate died before election or announcement of result, Accord party will be given 14days to run a fresh primary within itself and INEC will continue the electoral process within 21days. The election will not be null and void simply because an Accord candidate died before announcement of result.

BTW: The clause 3(c) is a subtle way of bringing us back to the past. How could they make such amendment. this means the politicians can still rig the election like they have always done in the past. This clause downsized the importance of the card reader and hence makes it unimportant as well as creates room for the old method of rigging elections coming back. PLEASE REMOVE CLAUSE 3(c). It is against the progress of democracy and the positive usage of the card readers.
So I thought too till I read it well. It says INEC will suspend for 21days for a new election. That's Bullshit. Just as the manual accreditation is also Bullshit. We should be working towards electronic voting by 2023, not just electronic accreditation. Now these Senate guys are drawing us 5yrs backwards. Besides, the Supreme Court already ruled on it (Kogi), which already sets a precedence for parties going forward.

1 Like

Re: Senate Resolves Controversy On Successor In Event Of Death by Sinbo(m): 4:11pm On Dec 02, 2016
Na dem sabi ooo
Re: Senate Resolves Controversy On Successor In Event Of Death by rapthugx(m): 5:30pm On Dec 02, 2016
Kai INEC should not legalize the use of manual accreditation. This will only open doors for our politicians to manipulate the process. INEC should be compelled to use a stronger technology. I trust our politicians, this law will soon render card reader useless.
Re: Senate Resolves Controversy On Successor In Event Of Death by zemaik(m): 5:55pm On Dec 02, 2016
kennydee05:

Maybe they reasoned that such option could encourage assassination. Whoever is a runner up in a primary election only needs to do the job smartly and he is in the ball. Lol.
Re: Senate Resolves Controversy On Successor In Event Of Death by Roadmap27(m): 7:40pm On Dec 02, 2016
which kind proactive? they already know Buari will die during second tenure and they want to kill Tinubu by all means by deny Osinbajo . they just brought kogi story to cover up.
Re: Senate Resolves Controversy On Successor In Event Of Death by Stakekay1(m): 10:36pm On Dec 02, 2016
I think this current Senate have woken up from their slumber. I want to salute the courage of the Senate President. The House of Representatives has gone under, probably have been subjected to to executive harassment .
Re: Senate Resolves Controversy On Successor In Event Of Death by Ayanko(m): 9:27am On Dec 03, 2016
I think after all this, the election should start all over again. Because the popularity of the candidates has infect on elections.
Re: Senate Resolves Controversy On Successor In Event Of Death by Toofan007: 9:41am On Dec 03, 2016
Roadmap27:
which kind proactive? they already know Buari will die during second tenure and they want to kill Tinubu by all means by deny Osinbajo . they just brought kogi story to cover up.
The proposed amendment says during voting before announcement I believe.
Re: Senate Resolves Controversy On Successor In Event Of Death by Satex(m): 3:28pm On Dec 03, 2016
The Senate should not give legal backing for manual accreditation as this will take us backward. They should be considering electronic voting in subsequent elections.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Peter Obi Never Demolished Mosques In Anambra, Northern Police Chiefs Says / I Pray Next Transport Minister Has My Kind Of Passion – Amaechi / Nigerian Lawmakers, Police, Judges Most Corrupt, Says TI, N’assembly Kicks

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.