Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,941 members, 7,952,788 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 12:53 AM

Nigerian Author Highlights Gay Characters In New Novel - Literature (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Nigerian Author Highlights Gay Characters In New Novel (15860 Views)

Jewel From The Ghetto: New Novel Release!!! / Google Celebrates Nigerian Author - Flora Nwapa / Lola Akande's New Novel Exposes Nigerian University Lecturers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Author Highlights Gay Characters In New Novel by freakthingz(m): 12:34pm On Dec 03, 2016
LeFreakSoChic:

No be fight na. If you had seen my earlier comments, you would know that I have nothing but love for the LGBT community.
Infact, I hate that they are being subjected to all sorts. All I am trying to say is that they need not to shove their choice down our throats.

Okay you have a gay friend but you dont see lgbt pips as equal admit it, deep down you think you're a better human being.

Theres not even close to 10% of lgbt representation in books or movies even here in europe talkless of nigeria nd no those useless nollywood movies don't count. Btw pls just try and name one major lgbt movie thats mainstream

This reminds me of racist white people who yarn nonsense then after they'll be like I can't be racist I have a black friend

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Author Highlights Gay Characters In New Novel by freakthingz(m): 12:42pm On Dec 03, 2016
Onechancearmy:

Please learn to think before rebuking others. The author may deny promoting faggotry but there is a wide chasm between what the pervert author says and what his book is intended to accomplish.

Who told you "fagotry" was perverse
let me guess
1. Pastor
2. Politician
3.Parents
4.Peers

Have you ever had an independent thought in your life, you may have schooling up to phD level and still be an unlearned fellow. True knowledge comes from questioning "facts". It might be uncomfortable but the truth always is life is not as idealstic or back and white as man meets woman or. adam and eve. Even adam and eve still ate the apple in the end

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Author Highlights Gay Characters In New Novel by Onechancearmy(m): 12:50pm On Dec 03, 2016
freakthingz:

Who told you "fagotry" was perverse
let me guess
1. Pastor
2. Politician
3.Parents
4.Peers

Have you ever had an independent thought in your life, you may have schooling up to phD level and still be an unlearned fellow. True knowledge comes from questioning "facts". It might be uncomfortable but the truth always is life is not as idealstic or back and white as man meets woman or. adam and eve. Even adam and eve still ate the apple in the end

So a "lifestyle" that predisposes its practitioners to poor health and reduced life expectancy is normal? Gee whiz we're getting dumber and dumber in this country.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Author Highlights Gay Characters In New Novel by LeFreakSoChic(f): 12:51pm On Dec 03, 2016
freakthingz:

Okay you have a gay friend but you dont see lgbt pips as equal admit it, deep down you think you're a better human being.

Theres not even close to 10% of lgbt representation in books or movies even here in europe talkless of nigeria nd no those useless nollywood movies don't count. Btw pls just try and name one major lgbt movie thats mainstream

This reminds me of racist white people who yarn nonsense then after they'll be like I can't be racist I have a black friend

LOL. I insist I aint arguing with you.
I have things to share but hey! This is Nairaland.
It is guaranteed that a psycho would munch this detail and haunt me with it later. With my picture up, I wouldnt want to post something that woukd come back to bite my bum just to prove to a stranger that I am far from homophobic.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Author Highlights Gay Characters In New Novel by samuelezekiel(m): 1:05pm On Dec 03, 2016
phlamesG:
Majority of the posters above me are stark illiterates.

The author of the book already asserted that his book is
Not in any way promoting homosexuality yet some dullards are still saying he should be arrested angry

Please learn to read before commenting...

You are not the judge of that...he says so doesn't mean that's his intentions..

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Author Highlights Gay Characters In New Novel by joideviv(m): 1:56pm On Dec 03, 2016
I enjoyed the book, it was a good read. The Governor hated her son because his gay, tortured him to death but later indulge in lesbianism. I now understood what love truly means.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Author Highlights Gay Characters In New Novel by Nobody: 12:14pm On Dec 04, 2016
Onechancearmy:

So a "lifestyle" that predisposes its practitioners to poor health and reduced life expectancy is normal? Gee whiz we're getting dumber and dumber in this country.

Let's even set aside the option of using condoms, your argument is DoA. By this reasoning, lesbian sex is the safest sex with a 0 to 1/2500 risk of infection through cunniligus and a virtually non-existent risk through tribbing, finger-banging, fisting, strap-ons. Followed by heterosexual intercourse with a 1/333 to 1/263 risk factor through vaginal intercourse and an increased 1/70 through anal intercourse. While man-man gay sex would be the riskiest, 1/70, through anal intercourse. If you cite health reasons to discourage gay sex, would you recommend it to women on the same logic?

All sex is risky. You don't have to justify your disgust, it defines you regardless.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Author Highlights Gay Characters In New Novel by Onechancearmy(m): 7:28pm On Dec 04, 2016
RaggedyAnn:

Let's even set aside the option of using condoms, your argument is DoA. By this reasoning, lesbian sex is the safest sex with a 0 to 1/2500 risk of infection through cunniligus and a virtually non-existent risk through tribbing, finger-banging, fisting, strap-ons. Followed by heterosexual intercourse with a 1/333 to 1/263 risk factor through vaginal intercourse and an increased 1/70 through anal intercourse. While man-man gay sex would be the riskiest, 1/70, through anal intercourse. If you cite health reasons to discourage gay sex, would you recommend it to women on the same logic?

All sex is risky. You don't have to justify your disgust, it defines you regardless.

RaggedyAnn (what a moniker by the way) you are wrong and misinformed. In both gay and lesbian populations life expectancy rates have always been lower than for normal people. Noone actually knows why this is the case, but it is. Things are particularly bad for lesbians:

"Lesbians may constitute a largely unnoticed high-risk population for suicide and breast cancer, so our findings call for efforts to identify the underlying factors responsible and ensure access to basic health care in this population,” says researcher Morten Frisch.

You're obviously quite ignorant so I'll leave you with further facts that prove same sex relationships are inherently unhealthy. Feel free to check up on these facts:

In a survey of 1,099 lesbians, the Journal of Social Service Research found that “slightly more than half of the [lesbians] reported that they had been abused by a female lover/partner. The most frequently indicated forms of abuse were verbal/emotional/psychological abuse and combined physical-psychological abuse.”

In their book Men Who Beat the Men Who Love Them: Battered Gay Men and Domestic Violence,D. Island and P. Letellier report that “the incidence of domestic violence among gay men is nearly double that in the heterosexual population.”

Homosexual and lesbian relationships are far more violent than are traditional married households:

The Bureau of Justice Statistics (U.S. Department of Justice) reports that married women in traditional families experience the lowest rate of violence compared with women in other types of relationships.

https://winteryknight.com/2013/11/18/domestic-violence-rates-are-higher-for-homosexual-couples-than-for-heterosexual-couples/
Re: Nigerian Author Highlights Gay Characters In New Novel by Nobody: 10:14pm On Dec 04, 2016
Onechancearmy:

RaggedyAnn (what a moniker by the way) you are wrong and misinformed. In both gay and lesbian populations life expectancy rates have always been lower than for normal people. Noone actually knows why this is the case, but it is. Things are particularly bad for lesbians:

"Lesbians may constitute a largely unnoticed high-risk population for suicide and breast cancer, so our findings call for efforts to identify the underlying factors responsible and ensure access to basic health care in this population,” says researcher Morten Frisch.

You're obviously quite ignorant so I'll leave you with further facts that prove same sex relationships are inherently unhealthy. Feel free to check up on these facts:

In a survey of 1,099 lesbians, the Journal of Social Service Research found that “slightly more than half of the [lesbians] reported that they had been abused by a female lover/partner. The most frequently indicated forms of abuse were verbal/emotional/psychological abuse and combined physical-psychological abuse.”

In their book Men Who Beat the Men Who Love Them: Battered Gay Men and Domestic Violence,D. Island and P. Letellier report that “the incidence of domestic violence among gay men is nearly double that in the heterosexual population.”

Homosexual and lesbian relationships are far more violent than are traditional married households:

The Bureau of Justice Statistics (U.S. Department of Justice) reports that married women in traditional families experience the lowest rate of violence compared with women in other types of relationships.

https://winteryknight.com/2013/11/18/domestic-violence-rates-are-higher-for-homosexual-couples-than-for-heterosexual-couples/

Kai! Do you have to be insulting to make yourself feel important? Doing that, you sell yourself short. Being respectful of others adds value to you and not them. But maybe that’s just your way of distracting from the facts (or lack thereof).

You didn’t contradict my earlier point – that the risk of exposure to STIs is woman/woman<woman/man<man/man. It’s evidently as a result of surface area exposure, fluid exchange/retention, penetration (or non-penetration), likeliness of scarring etc. These are direct consequences of the mechanics (physiology) of the preferred sexual activity.

Breast cancer, from the studies you cite, does not result from the kind of sex you have. The risk factors are believed to be: 1. fewer full term pregnancies 2. Fewer mammograms 3. Fewer breast exams 4. Being overweight.

These are the same risk factors for heterosexual women. The risk is managed by childbearing (straight and gay women), regular medical checks and maintain a healthy weight. Not by stopping gay sex.

Depression and subsequent suicide amongst homosexual persons is the reason why the repression of their nature should be stopped. Most gay people battle internalized homophobia, a deep sense of shame and a feeling of unworthiness which mirrors the society’s rejection of them. Some of them choose to kill themselves rather than disappointing their family and friends. You cannot persecute gay people and then accuse them of having a natural disposition to suicide and depression. Isn’t that what you’re driving them to?

Regarding domestic violence, of course, same-sex relationships are expected to be more intensely charged than hetero-relationships because it is based on equality. There’s bound to be a tussle of temperaments since there is no top or bottom by design only by choice. A woman in a relationship with a woman can let fly without restraint. Same with two men. If a man were to descend on a woman, the imbalance of physical endowment alone is a looming threat. This is why, by statistics, violence in homosexual relationships don’t get reported as often as incidences in heterosexual relationships. Also because they do not result in murders as often. Amongst women, slapping is the most common form of physical abuse while beating and assault with weapons is less frequent.

Life expectancy is not reduced by gayness.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Author Highlights Gay Characters In New Novel by Onechancearmy(m): 12:05am On Dec 05, 2016
RaggedyAnn:

Kai! Do you have to be insulting to make yourself feel important? Doing that, you sell yourself short. Being respectful of others adds value to you and not them. But maybe that’s just your way of distracting from the facts (or lack thereof).

You didn’t contradict my earlier point – that the risk of exposure to STIs is woman/woman<woman/man<man/man. It’s evidently as a result of surface area exposure, fluid exchange/retention, penetration (or non-penetration), likeliness of scarring etc. These are direct consequences of the mechanics (physiology) of the preferred sexual activity.

Breast cancer, from the studies you cite, does not result from the kind of sex you have. The risk factors are believed to be: 1. fewer full term pregnancies 2. Fewer mammograms 3. Fewer breast exams 4. Being overweight.

These are the same risk factors for heterosexual women. The risk is managed by childbearing (straight and gay women), regular medical checks and maintain a healthy weight. Not by stopping gay sex.

Depression and subsequent suicide amongst homosexual persons is the reason why the repression of their nature should be stopped. Most gay people battle internalized homophobia, a deep sense of shame and a feeling of unworthiness which mirrors the society’s rejection of them. Some of them choose to kill themselves rather than disappointing their family and friends. You cannot persecute gay people and then accuse them of having a natural disposition to suicide and depression. Isn’t that what you’re driving them to?

Regarding domestic violence, of course, same-sex relationships are expected to be more intensely charged than hetero-relationships because it is based on equality. There’s bound to be a tussle of temperaments since there is no top or bottom by design only by choice. A woman in a relationship with a woman can let fly without restraint. Same with two men. If a man were to descend on a woman, the imbalance of physical endowment alone is a looming threat. This is why, by statistics, violence in homosexual relationships don’t get reported as often as incidences in heterosexual relationships. Also because they do not result in murders as often. Amongst women, slapping is the most common form of physical abuse while beating and assault with weapons is less frequent.

Life expectancy is not reduced by gayness.

First off, you'd be well served if you put your meagre mental resources to better use in these sorts of discussions rather than dodge issues.

In my initial comment when I said gays have low life expectancy, I didn't restrict myself to just their deviant sexual behaviour. Overall, even when sex and STDs are factored out of the equation, gays still have a torrid time in life and it's not because of rejection or stigmatisation but because of some innate deficiency peculiar to them alone as researcher Peter Sprigg observed:

"Pro-homosexual activists have long given a single explanation for the high rates of physical and mental health problems among those who engage in homosexual relationships – they blame it on 'homophobia,' the 'stigma' which they suffer at the hands of society, and the 'rejection' they suffer from family members who disapprove of such conduct,” Sprigg said.

“One recent example is Matthew Vines, author of a new book God and the Gay Christian, who alleges that for some 'gay Christians,' the call to abstain from homosexual conduct 'fuels despair to the point of suicide.'”

“Scientific research, however, has never supported this one-size-fits-all explanation for the serious pathologies experienced by homosexuals,” he said.

It would appear that homosexuals are born with a natural sense of guilt. They know there's something wrong right from an early age long before they even know what is right and what is wrong about sex. That mere fact should strike the unbiased mind as odd. Why don’t heterosexual children feel the same about their sexuality?

Some people reason like this:

​(1)Homosexuals’ genetic makeup predisposes (or causes) them to engage in homosexual behavior.

​(2) Therefore, homosexual behavior is morally permissible.

However, we do not make this genetic-so-it-must-be-okay leap in other areas of life. For example, researchers believe that there is a definite genetic basis for alcoholism. Yet, we do not think that alcoholism is good, or that it is morally permissible for alcoholics to persist in drunkenness. We believe that alcoholism is bad and that alcoholics should be “cured.” So, supposing for the sake of argument that homosexuality is genetically based, why shouldn’t we seek to “cure” homosexuals rather than endorse their behavior? Why shouldn’t we look for ways to eradicate the harmful homosexual gene? Gay activists beg the question concerning the morality of homosexual behavior when they assume that a genetic basis for the behavior automatically establishes its moral permissibility.

Even if it were true (and it isn't true) that faggotry is genetic that still wouldn't make it right, and THAT is the reason why homos are always racked with guilt. Because they know that something is wrong.
Re: Nigerian Author Highlights Gay Characters In New Novel by Nobody: 5:48pm On Dec 05, 2016
Onechancearmy:

First off, you'd be well served if you put your meagre mental resources to better use in these sorts of discussions rather than dodge issues.

In my initial comment when I said gays have low life expectancy, I didn't restrict myself to just their deviant sexual behaviour. Overall, even when sex and STDs are factored out of the equation, gays still have a torrid time in life and it's not because of rejection or stigmatisation but because of some innate deficiency peculiar to them alone as researcher Peter Sprigg observed:

"Pro-homosexual activists have long given a single explanation for the high rates of physical and mental health problems among those who engage in homosexual relationships – they blame it on 'homophobia,' the 'stigma' which they suffer at the hands of society, and the 'rejection' they suffer from family members who disapprove of such conduct,” Sprigg said.

“One recent example is Matthew Vines, author of a new book God and the Gay Christian, who alleges that for some 'gay Christians,' the call to abstain from homosexual conduct 'fuels despair to the point of suicide.'”

“Scientific research, however, has never supported this one-size-fits-all explanation for the serious pathologies experienced by homosexuals,” he said.

It would appear that homosexuals are born with a natural sense of guilt. They know there's something wrong right from an early age long before they even know what is right and what is wrong about sex. That mere fact should strike the unbiased mind as odd. Why don’t heterosexual children feel the same about their sexuality?

Some people reason like this:

​(1)Homosexuals’ genetic makeup predisposes (or causes) them to engage in homosexual behavior.

​(2) Therefore, homosexual behavior is morally permissible.

However, we do not make this genetic-so-it-must-be-okay leap in other areas of life. For example, researchers believe that there is a definite genetic basis for alcoholism. Yet, we do not think that alcoholism is good, or that it is morally permissible for alcoholics to persist in drunkenness. We believe that alcoholism is bad and that alcoholics should be “cured.” So, supposing for the sake of argument that homosexuality is genetically based, why shouldn’t we seek to “cure” homosexuals rather than endorse their behavior? Why shouldn’t we look for ways to eradicate the harmful homosexual gene? Gay activists beg the question concerning the morality of homosexual behavior when they assume that a genetic basis for the behavior automatically establishes its moral permissibility.

Even if it were true (and it isn't true) that faggotry is genetic that still wouldn't make it right, and THAT is the reason why homos are always racked with guilt. Because they know that something is wrong.

Ld

I know they say: never give up on yourself. Winners never quit and quitters never win. In your case, however, giving up on yourself would actually be a victory for you. At least, you would have had the foresight to recognize a lost cause. Chances are you wouldn't understand this anyway, seeing the struggle you have with comprehension. Not everyone is cut out for school.
Re: Nigerian Author Highlights Gay Characters In New Novel by Onechancearmy(m): 6:52pm On Dec 05, 2016
RaggedyAnn:

I know they say: never give up on yourself. Winners never quit and quitters never win. In your case, however, giving up on yourself would actually be a victory for you. At least, you would have had the foresight to recognize a lost cause. Chances are you wouldn't understand this anyway, seeing the struggle you have with comprehension. Not everyone is cut out for school.

The lost cause is anyone who overlooks basic objective biological fact in favour of self serving and sometimes idiotic fantansies.
In a continent grappling with problems like graft, social inequality , poverty and high infant mortality rates, the certified cretins like RaggedyAnn want us to add the public health disaster of homosexuality and its multiple unwanted public health consequences to our litany of woes.
Does RaggedyAnn know that even in the West where gays are tolerated they're actually prohibited from donating blood?
The RaggedyAnns of this world are like pieces of wood drifting on a stream. They just go with the flow. They have a diminished capacity to think for themselves but will always rely on dubious and self serving research by the gay and lesbian lobby.

If by choosing common sense I'm being "dumb" then so be it.
Re: Nigerian Author Highlights Gay Characters In New Novel by fearlesschicken: 4:43pm On Dec 06, 2016
LeFreakSoChic:

No be fight na. If you had seen my earlier comments, you would know that I have nothing but love for the LGBT community.
Infact, I hate that they are being subjected to all sorts. All I am trying to say is that they need not to shove their choice down our throats.

This your love seems to be false, you can't claim to love the lgbtiqa+ community and they say they are imposing their lifestyle on others. It's a big contradiction honestly and it's a spit to your friends face.

Don't you shove your heterosexual lifestyle to people everyday? holding hands,PDAs? in movies,books,animations,etc. Do you see them complaining? Yet they get a small representation and then everyone screams that they shoving it down their asses.undecided What exactly? Why can't you of all people understand that they are indeed part of the society and stop screaming about shoving or not shoving...Jeez!
Re: Nigerian Author Highlights Gay Characters In New Novel by LeFreakSoChic(f): 5:37pm On Dec 06, 2016
fearlesschicken:

This your love seems to be false, you can't claim to love the lgbtiqa+ community and they say they are imposing their lifestyle on others. It's a big contradiction honestly and it's a spit to your friends face.

Don't you shove your heterosexual lifestyle to people everyday? holding hands,PDAs? in movies,books,animations,etc. Do you see them complaining? Yet they get a small representation and then everyone screams that they shoving it down their asses.undecided What exactly? Why can't you of all people understand that they are indeed part of the society and stop screaming about shoving or not shoving...Jeez!

Baby, you came late. Party's over.
Vent your annoyance on a fresh thread.
Re: Nigerian Author Highlights Gay Characters In New Novel by source10able: 9:48am On Jan 31, 2017
Download the latest eBook from the author of Sex and Lagos City. Available on Amazon and Okadabooks.com

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

A Hunt - A Military Thriller by Abraham Adekunle / Chimamanda Adichie At Johns Hopkins University For African Conference (Photos) / Ade's Chronicle: A Tale

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.