Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,658 members, 7,809,492 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:32 AM

C.V Talk (NEW) - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / C.V Talk (NEW) (657 Views)

What Skill Are You Learning To Boost Your C.V? / How To Write A Students Résumé Or C.V (help!) / Have A Free C.v Designed For You @ Cvnaija (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

C.V Talk (NEW) by 0393: 6:44am On Dec 04, 2016
Starting School with your Curriculum Vitae in Mind.

I am grateful that I learnt some key things about a curriculum Vitae very early but also wish I had known more. I can't particularly recall any adult sitting me down to inform me about the importance of a curriculum Vitae. Maybe it's because most people feel it is not really looked at in Nigeria especially if it is not accompanied by a Politicians' Stamp. However,irrespective of what is true or not there are a few things I have learnt so far.

1) Let your C.V be in your subconscious. It is like your headlight. It will be seen before you are seen.

2) Your C.V should be dynamic. You have to keep updating by adding and removing from it as necessary.

3) Your C.V should be detailed.

4) Your C.V serves as a report of the person you are and the attributes you have built but it is important to know that you should not also partake in things just so you can build a C.V. It doesn't work like that

5) A human Resource personnel may read your CV in 30 seconds to 2 minute tops hence you must state the important things first.

6) Your C.V should be written in reverse chronological order that is the most recent qualifications are written first.

7) It is easier to relate with numbers than words i.e try to portray your performance in percentages and not just spelling it out.

cool Your C.V should contain your Bio-data, Educational qualification, Awards and Honours, Leadership Experience, Work Experience including Volunteering,Hobbies and Interest, Research, Publications,Professional Membership, Presentations and Referees as applicable.

9) Your C.V should be aesthetically pleasing,neat, not boring and not too fanciful.

10) Your C.V should portray the kind of person you will accept if you were in charge.

Re: C.V Talk (NEW) by Xtine22(m): 7:42am On Dec 04, 2016
upload a sample lets see.

1 Like

Re: C.V Talk (NEW) by 0393: 5:31pm On Dec 18, 2016
What the heck is a career portfolio?

I had to do a locum work for an IT consultant introduced to me by a friend of mine. I took the Job quite personal and so it turned out great. A day or so later,I received a message appreciating me and telling me to submit my portfolio. Then it hit me. C.V I know,Resume I know but portfolio I knowest not.

The closest thing I knew about a portfolio was linked in and I couldn't remember the details of the connection between the two. I did a lot of meditation, then started to research about a portfolio and how to create one so here are the points.

1) A portfolio is like the in thing now particularly in the non-health sectors like IT, Artists, Musicians,Accountants,Salesmen,Engineers,lawyers e.t.c but that doesn't mean it is not for everyone.

2) A portfolio goes beyond you job seeking. It is you telling your potential employer "I have got the job already can you afford what I will bring to your organization.

3) It gives you an edge over your competitors and makes you more prepared for your interview.

4) The portfolio traditionally belongs to a folder,file and amazingly a briefcase but recently people are going online especially because it is easily accessible and less stressful to design.

5) Your Portfolio is made up of a tittle page,Table of Contents, Letter of introduction/cover letter,occupational goals,personal mission statement, Resume not C.V,Skills and achievements, Application form where applicable and about three sample work. Pheew,that is a lot of document.

6) The main strength of a portfolio are the skills. When we say skills we are not necessarily talking about the big time record breaking skills. In addition you also need experiences termed achievements /accomplishments to validate your skills.

7) Skills include Verbal and Written Communication (and the evidence can be your SSCE English Result, University English Result, Public speaking competition or essay writing Medal or any other test of English), Team work (evidence can be participation in team sports,group projects or volunteering activities), Planning and Organisation( evidence can be a person's flow chart you designed or a programme you planned), Time management,computing or technical skills just Google Career skills you will see a whole list or hopefully I would be able to write about it someday.

cool The top skills however are Leadership,management,interpersonal/teamwork,innovation and creativity,resilience and Technical skills.

9) The best way to know your skills is to list your achievements and find out which skill you employed in achieving that.

10) Your Skills and achievements must be backed by pictorial evidence,news paper clipping, handbills,results e.t.c

11) You should have a standard, all encompassing portfolio from which you can create mini-job tailored portfolios.

(1) (Reply)

JANUARY NEWS!!! - BUSINESS SCHOOL NETHERLANDS FREE TRAINING AND CERTIFICATION / Nigerian Engineers: A Platform To Discuss Progress To Members And The Nation / Six(6) Business Opportunities You Can Start Today Any Where In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.