Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,850 members, 7,817,517 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:36 PM

DC Sniper - John Allen Muhammad - To Be Finally Executed - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / DC Sniper - John Allen Muhammad - To Be Finally Executed (907 Views)

New Tanzania President John-Magufuli Did These In Just 3 Months – AMAZING / Russian Sniper Kills World Female Terrorist 'white Wiidow' Samantha / 18 Nigerians To Be Executed In Indonesia Today (monday, 04, 2013) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

DC Sniper - John Allen Muhammad - To Be Finally Executed by JeSoul(f): 8:21pm On Nov 10, 2009
Some of you may recall when this dude held the entire MD/DC area hostage. I even watched the movie they made out of this a while back.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/11/10/virginia.sniper.execution/index.html

Washington (CNN) -- J[b]ohn Allen Muhammad, the mastermind of the 2002 sniper attacks that terrorized the suburbs of the nation's capital, is scheduled to die by lethal injection Tuesday evening at a state prison[/b] near Jarratt, Virginia. Virginia Gov. Tim Kaine denied a clemency request from Muhammad's lawyers, closing off what is likely to be his last avenue of appeal.

Prosecutors say Muhammad, fueled by grudges against the Army and his ex-wife, plotted the cross-country shooting rampage, culminating in a killing spree in the Maryland and Virginia suburbs surrounding Washington, D.C,

During three weeks in October 2002, Muhammad and Malvo killed 10 people and wounded three, while taunting police with written messages and phoned-in threats and demands.
It could have been much worse. During Muhammad's second trial in Maryland, Malvo testified that Muhammad originally planned to kill up to six people each day for 30 days. Indeed, after killing five people during the first 24 hours, the sniper team began the second day scouting for locations for another barrage of shootings. But, concerned about possible witnesses and the lack of escape routes, they slowed their deadly pace.

My only comment is I wonder why it took 7 years.
Re: DC Sniper - John Allen Muhammad - To Be Finally Executed by naliakar: 8:36pm On Nov 10, 2009
@Jesoul

Hallo. It is getting colder here at Waltham if you get my drift.

Now the execution my be considered punitive based on current Virginia laws. But it one of those last acts of meting justice that is inhuman and should be done away with eventually. Death penalty is no punishment even for atrocious acts such as committed by Muhahamed.
Re: DC Sniper - John Allen Muhammad - To Be Finally Executed by preselect(m): 8:37pm On Nov 10, 2009
kill him
Re: DC Sniper - John Allen Muhammad - To Be Finally Executed by Nobody: 8:39pm On Nov 10, 2009
naliakar:

@Jesoul

Now the execution my be considered punitive based on current Virginia laws. But it one of those last acts of meting justice that is inhuman and should be done away with eventually. Death penalty is no punishment even for atrocious acts such as committed by Muhahamed.

But you werent worried about his crime right? He killed 10 innocent people and left children in a lifetime of pain and sorrow but killing him is "inhuman"?

I wish the death penalty could be extended to muslim terrorists too.
Re: DC Sniper - John Allen Muhammad - To Be Finally Executed by JeSoul(f): 8:47pm On Nov 10, 2009
naliakar:

@Jesoul

Its in the 70s today though . . . I've been wondering whether its November or whether its Summer lol.

I don't see how you can say that. What punishment do you suggest he should be served with? Why does he get to keep his life when he took the lives of 10 innocent people? the youngest he shot was a 13yr old on his way to school. That this monster has been permitted to live the past 7yrs while his victims lie 6 feet deep is in itself an injustice.
Re: DC Sniper - John Allen Muhammad - To Be Finally Executed by naliakar: 8:47pm On Nov 10, 2009
davidylan:

But you werent worried about his crime right? He killed 10 innocent people and left children in a lifetime of pain and sorrow but killing him is "inhuman"?

I wish the death penalty could be extended to muslim terrorists too.

Why do you wear your eclectic lenses when making sense of what others posted. Muhammad's acts were atrocious and deserved the worst form of retribution possible. We both agree on that. My criticism is with the death penalty as a form of retributive justice. The world is moving (should move) towards abolishing all manner of death sentence as a form of punishment.
Re: DC Sniper - John Allen Muhammad - To Be Finally Executed by Nobody: 8:51pm On Nov 10, 2009
naliakar:

Why do you wear your eclectic lenses when making sense of what others posted. Muhammad's acts were atrocious and deserved the worst form of retribution possible. We both agree on that. My criticism is with the death penalty as a form of retributive justice. The world is moving (should move) towards abolishing all manner of death sentence as a form of punishment.  

If only the world where moving towards abolishing such abhorrent crimes too.

Sorry . . . for how long do we keep murderers like Mohammad in jail? Our jails are congested . . . besides there are some who can never be reformed by the prison system. It is INJUSTICE and INHUMANE that Mohammad gets to spend time in jail eating free, watching free cable, using the computer, attending school free and having a chance to reflect on his life when he deprived 10 or more families of such priviledges.

Take off your own lenses too.
Re: DC Sniper - John Allen Muhammad - To Be Finally Executed by naliakar: 8:55pm On Nov 10, 2009
JeSoul:

Its in the 70s today though . . . I've been wondering whether its November or whether its Summer lol.

they call it the Indian summer. (I don't know whether this is a good way to refer to the short unusually warm spell just preceding the onset of winter. It smacks of those disparaging attributes that  the west is wont to give one to reinforce their minority and unusual status.

JeSoul:

I don't see how you can say that. What punishment do you suggest he should be served with? Why does he get to keep his life when he took the lives of 10 innocent people? the youngest he shot was a 13yr old on his way to school. That this monster has been permitted to live the past 7yrs while his victims lie 6 feet deep is in itself an injustice.

Do not get me wrong. What he did was horrible and the loss he occasioned can never be reclaimed. I am questioning the aptness of death it self as a form of punishment. May be there are philosophical issues to raise about the eventuality of death as a suitable deterrence. But then, I am also reminded of death as was to metted out on Amina lawal ij Nigeria if you may recall  for adultery, or as metted out in Somalia just last week or as is often undertaken in Saudi Arabia.
Re: DC Sniper - John Allen Muhammad - To Be Finally Executed by naliakar: 8:58pm On Nov 10, 2009
davidylan:

If only the world where moving towards abolishing such abhorrent crimes too.

Sorry . . . for how long do we keep murderers like Mohammad in jail? Our jails are congested . . . besides there are some who can never be reformed by the prison system. It is INJUSTICE and INHUMANE that Mohammad gets to spend time in jail eating free, watching free cable, using the computer, attending school free and having a chance to reflect on his life when he deprived 10 or more families of such priviledges.

Take off your own lenses too.

Easy Easy!! Did you understand my last posting and my metaphoric "eclectic lenses"? I don't want to shout out of respect for JeSoul, a lady of great repute who is in the room. So I will let it pass.
Re: DC Sniper - John Allen Muhammad - To Be Finally Executed by Nobody: 9:04pm On Nov 10, 2009
naliakar:

Easy Easy!! Did you understand my last posting and my metaphoric "eclectic lenses"? I don't want to shout out of respect for JeSoul, a lady of great repute who is in the room. So I will let it pass.

Absurd.
Re: DC Sniper - John Allen Muhammad - To Be Finally Executed by naliakar: 9:08pm On Nov 10, 2009
davidylan:

Absurd.

AMEN!!
Re: DC Sniper - John Allen Muhammad - To Be Finally Executed by JeSoul(f): 9:14pm On Nov 10, 2009
naliakar:

they call it the Indian summer. (I don't know whether this is a good way to refer to the short unusually warm spell just preceding the onset of winter. It smacks of those disparaging attributes that  the west is wont to give one to reinforce their minority and unusual status.
   lol . . . well I guess that's one way of looking at it. I haven't heard the term before though . . . it must truly be rare, but I sure ain't complaining about 70s in November.

Do not get me wrong. What he did was horrible and the loss he occasioned can never be reclaimed. I am questioning the aptness of death it self as a form of punishment. May be there are philosophical issues to raise about the eventuality of death as a suitable deterrence. But then, I am also reminded of death as was to metted out on Amina lawal ij Nigeria if you may recall  for adultery, or as metted out in Somalia just last week or as is often undertaken in Saudi Arabia.
  Okay so what do you personally suggest we as a society do with these kinds of barbaric criminals? what will serve as just and due punishment for their heinous crimes?
Re: DC Sniper - John Allen Muhammad - To Be Finally Executed by naliakar: 10:14pm On Nov 10, 2009
JeSoul:

lol . . . well I guess that's one way of looking at it. I haven't heard the term before though . . . it must truly be rare, but I sure ain't complaining about 70s in November.
  Okay so what do you personally suggest we as a society do with these kinds of barbaric criminals? what will serve as just and due punishment for their heinous crimes?

I certainly will not have a single answer as tow what should be done. But i sure lean on the side of a viable alternative punitive process as opposed to the death penalty. Unless we subscribe wholly to the Hammurabian code, we should move away from the idea of "mete fire with fire" as an equalizing principle in justice. If the intention of punishment is to deter any such acts in future while reforming and possibly rehrehabilitatinge convict, there are lots of reasons not to latch on to death as a the best form of punishment. the Greek myth of Sisyphus does explain for me what a punishment really is and should be- Namely- a punitive process as painful and endless but designed to bring the convict into terms with the horror of their act. Other than the fact that it is inhuman and brutal, the death penalty has no record of transforming behavior. It would be informative to look afresh at reasons advanced by most new England states on abolishing it from their code of punishment. So does most European nations and a number of countries in Africa and the rest of the world.

the frustration I get, especially in this forum, is the extreme dimorphic view of issues most posters have. Everything is a zero-sum game. It is either one or the other. Life is not like that and Wole Soyinka will tell you the value of Grey areas. Let us not be so Manichean on this issue if we are to recognize that abolishing the death penalty or otherwise is a much larger global discourse than the threads of nairaland and there lots of thins we could learn from the campaign waged globally on this issue so far.
Re: DC Sniper - John Allen Muhammad - To Be Finally Executed by SeanT21(f): 8:56am On Nov 11, 2009
This guy used to scare the hell out of residents of Virgina, Maryland and DC back when I lived there. People used to always be on the lookout when he was in hiding. The guy was just going around killing innocent people. Everyone was afraid to even get gas or stop to order something. Schools were always on lockdown when classes were in session. Soon as work/school was over, everyone went running home. I remember my grand aunt used to walk sideways when she was in public for fear of getting his by one of his bullets. This guy kept us in real nightmare.
Re: DC Sniper - John Allen Muhammad - To Be Finally Executed by Ibime(m): 11:30am On Nov 11, 2009
@ topic,

Good riddance to bad rubbish!
Re: DC Sniper - John Allen Muhammad - To Be Finally Executed by muhsin(m): 3:11pm On Nov 11, 2009
Ibime:

@ topic,

Good riddance to bad rubbish!

Subscribed.
Re: DC Sniper - John Allen Muhammad - To Be Finally Executed by Nobody: 5:03am On Nov 12, 2009
they should have given him some truth serum while he was incarcerated, to find out more information.

He refused to give details and there are still some unsolved murders linked to him.

lord have mercy undecided

(1) (Reply)

If Not For Tribalism: Fashola Should Be Nigeria's Next President / Nigerians Deported Via Cargo Airline Unprepared! / How Hamas Assembles And Fires Rockets Without Detection

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.