Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,763 members, 7,820,662 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:00 PM

Ribadu Vows To Return And Continue Fighting Corruption - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ribadu Vows To Return And Continue Fighting Corruption (2571 Views)

I Want To Be Remembered For Fighting Corruption To A Standstill – Buhari / Gmb's System Of Fighting Corruption $ Gej's Which Is Better / Ribadu’s Appointment Is An Insult – Tinubu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ribadu Vows To Return And Continue Fighting Corruption by Oboma1(m): 6:30am On Nov 11, 2009
Former chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission(EFCC), Mr. Nuhu Ribadu, has said he would not retrun to Nigeria to face allegations agaist corruption, but to  continue the fight against corruption.  He also said he left the country because of attempts on his life by gunmen. Ribadu told the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC) yesterday that his worry about developments in Nigeria stems from the fact that money belonging to the people are used by corrupt leaders to fight for their own survival and buy private jets. He said, "this is what is supposed to be used to solve the problem that we are facing. Look at how it is being wasted. See what is happening with our people. Today, they use the money to fight for their own survival, they give it to lawyers across the world, they buy private jets."
Ribadu was critisized during his tenure as being used by former president Olusegun Obasanjo to fight opponents. 
He said his dismissal by the Nigeria Police Force came out of  government’s wish not to continue the fight against corruption, adding, "there was a clear signal that no-one should do anything about fighting corruption. That is very sad." 
Throwing  light on why he fled the country, he said two attempts were made on his life - one while he was driving. 
"Some people were hired, and their responsibility was to get me. They came quite close. The individual behind the driver brought out his hand and shot three shots at my car. Luckily, my car is bulletproof. When they attempted that, I left the country the next day."
Ribadu spoke about some attempts to bribe him while he was in office. 
"They'll try everything. They will attempt to bribe you. If it fails, they will blackmail you and try to make a mess of your name,"  he said. One extraordinary bribery attempt sticks out in his mind.
"One of them gave me $15 million in cash. Raw cash. American dollars. I got my people to take it to the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) and deposit it there. We used it as an exhibit in the trial against the individual. We got him locked for about two or three months in jail while I was office." 
He says he will not return to Nigeria to challenge the allegations of professional misconduct, as they were instituted to get him jailed.
"The reason why they are doing that is simply thinking 'lets get him back into the country. We'll seize his own documents, possibly get him behind bars," Ribadu alleged.

http://www.thisdayonline.com/nview.php?id=159478
Re: Ribadu Vows To Return And Continue Fighting Corruption by Oboma1(m): 6:35am On Nov 11, 2009
Oboma1:

He says he will not return to Nigeria to challenge the allegations of professional misconduct, as they were instituted to get him jailed.
"The reason why they are doing that is simply thinking 'lets get him back into the country. We'll seize his own documents, possibly get him behind bars," Ribadu alleged.

http://www.thisdayonline.com/nview.php?id=159478

Sometimes I wonder whether Ribadu listens to himself. Your are saying you will return to continue corruption fight, and at thesame time, your are saying, you will not return to Nigeria to challenge the allegations of professional misconduct, as they were instituted to get him jailed. Why is he always double-mouthed.
Re: Ribadu Vows To Return And Continue Fighting Corruption by selingel: 7:30am On Nov 11, 2009
Stop ranting all over the world. Have you heard that your lord and your master squandered N200b ecological fund. Please dont forget you were the same EFCC chairman that cleared OBJ of any offence or financial misappropriation. So, where are all these facts and figures coming from?.
Re: Ribadu Vows To Return And Continue Fighting Corruption by Enjoyment1(f): 8:18am On Nov 11, 2009
I thought he should have said, I will return to come and continue corruption growth and development. undecided undecided undecided
Re: Ribadu Vows To Return And Continue Fighting Corruption by azeeza(f): 9:00am On Nov 11, 2009
He is welcome.joker
Re: Ribadu Vows To Return And Continue Fighting Corruption by chidichris(m): 10:30am On Nov 11, 2009
idiot ribadu must have been misquoted by the poster or someone else.
the statement shld be, ribadu vows to return to start corruption fight.
in ribadu i see a possibility in his intentions to fight corruption but mr corruption converted him into a multiplier of corruption.
ribadu must know that if nigerians go to poll for him and madam able farida, the madam of madams will mess him up.
who said we will leave a woman who put bode the gang leader into jail for ribadu who likes politics more than his job.
Re: Ribadu Vows To Return And Continue Fighting Corruption by oge4real(f): 12:56pm On Nov 11, 2009
Let him come back and declare for the party of his choice for the upcoming elections and spare us all the long story.
Re: Ribadu Vows To Return And Continue Fighting Corruption by ud4u: 1:09pm On Nov 11, 2009
Na by force to fight for us, the one wey you fight before we never come out of it, the evidence of your corruption fight is the N200 billion ecological fund squandered under your boss OBJ.

The moment he cleared OBJ and Co from corrupt practices was the time he lost his reputation and no two ways about it. Remember he who is good and is guilty of one, is guilty of all, meaning selective justice is never justice at all.

Come on, we await your safe arrival, may be this time to jail like Bode George.
Re: Ribadu Vows To Return And Continue Fighting Corruption by RICHIEBOI1(m): 1:12pm On Nov 11, 2009
i dare him to return. if hes name is nuhu ribadu. grin
Re: Ribadu Vows To Return And Continue Fighting Corruption by stiyke(m): 1:38pm On Nov 11, 2009
ud4u:

Na by force to fight for us, the one wey you fight before we never come out of it, the evidence of your corruption fight is the N200 billion ecological fund squandered under your boss OBJ.

Come on, we await your safe arrival, may be this time to jail like Bode George.

The fool thinks he can insult nigerians thinks everyone is a fool, let him keep deluding himself. Nama
Re: Ribadu Vows To Return And Continue Fighting Corruption by back2back(f): 1:58pm On Nov 11, 2009
I have said it many times, Ribadu is full of CRAPS!!

Gbam!!. Gbosa!!
Re: Ribadu Vows To Return And Continue Fighting Corruption by hollandis(f): 2:19pm On Nov 11, 2009
I love all these replies.What more is there to say? smiley
Re: Ribadu Vows To Return And Continue Fighting Corruption by Hatitude: 2:34pm On Nov 11, 2009
I take it that all of you that have responded so far are cronies of the govt. Ribadu is a legend and there's nothing any of you can say or do about it.
Re: Ribadu Vows To Return And Continue Fighting Corruption by shawn123: 3:23pm On Nov 11, 2009
hiss, Naija people self, after everything Ribadu did? He was close to rebranding Nigeria without any rebranding project and advertisement. Farida herself said he lodged 15 million dollars with the central bank, the money the so called Ibori tried to use to bribe him. That alone is an act only very few people all over the world can do even the richest Americans might not be able to reject that huge sum . I Wonder what it is exactly you all want, sighs and say a little prayrer for Nigerians, undecided
Re: Ribadu Vows To Return And Continue Fighting Corruption by nethacker(m): 3:34pm On Nov 11, 2009
Hatitude:

I take it that all of you that have responded so far are cronies of the govt. Ribadu is a legend and there's nothing any of you can say or do about it.
Please toooooooooooollld them
shawn123:

hiss, Naija people self, after everything Ribadu did? He was close to rebranding Nigeria without any rebranding project and advertisement. Farida herself said he lodged 15 million dollars with the central bank, the money the so called Ibori tried to use to bribe him. That alone is an act only very few people all over the world can do even the richest Americans might not be able to reject that huge sum . I Wonder what it is exactly you all want, sighs and say a little prayrer for Nigerians, undecided
Thats y i get tired of our pple.We were all here wen u all were showering him with praises . now u want him behind bars.It shows dat some of us have a big big problem.haba nigerians cry cry cry cry
Re: Ribadu Vows To Return And Continue Fighting Corruption by Handsomeemmy(m): 3:36pm On Nov 11, 2009
God on our side, 9ja will get over all this trash and become the envy of many.
Re: Ribadu Vows To Return And Continue Fighting Corruption by CHALLENGER: 3:48pm On Nov 11, 2009
I wonder what this country is fast becoming when the literate are speaking as though they've got no proper mind to think. No doubt it may have appeared as though Ribadu was been used to "witchhunt" but I ask this question-WHO AMONG THE PEOPLE INVESTIGATED/PROSECUTED BY RIBADU BY WAS NOT CORRUPT (OR DID NOT EMBEZLE OUR MONEY)? I CHALLENGE ANYONE TO MENTION ANY OF SUCH PERSON. Is it the likes of Tinubu, Atiku, Ibori,Bode George who?
Suffice to say that yes he (ribadu) may have been perceived to be partial but, they stole our money and he went after them.

Can you compare anti corruption crusade under Ribadu to Madam Waziri - miles apart incomparable. How can you think of a situation where a culprit (an accused) makes the choice of EFCC lawyer to prosecute him. Why can't the EFCC lawyer handling the Ibori case be changed (bicos of his perceived closeness to Ibori), and the case be given to vibrant lawyers like--Felix Keyamo, Femi Falana, etc.

Please fellow Nigerians, let be realistic when we are posting anything here. Yes, Ribadu may have been partial but he did an extremely good work.

A word of advise to those benefiting from corruption, kindly change your attitude as time your time is almost up.
Re: Ribadu Vows To Return And Continue Fighting Corruption by muhsin(m): 3:50pm On Nov 11, 2009
Return and be put behind bars. grin grin
Re: Ribadu Vows To Return And Continue Fighting Corruption by otokx(m): 3:54pm On Nov 11, 2009
Ribadu should keep quiet and face his research work.
Re: Ribadu Vows To Return And Continue Fighting Corruption by MyJoe: 3:57pm On Nov 11, 2009
CHALLENGER:

I wonder what this country is fast becoming when the literate are speaking as though they've got no proper mind to think. No doubt it may have appeared as though Ribadu was been used to "witchhunt" but I ask this question-WHO AMONG THE PEOPLE INVESTIGATED/PROSECUTED BY RIBADU BY WAS NOT CORRUPT (OR DID NOT EMBEZLE OUR MONEY)? I CHALLENGE ANYONE TO MENTION ANY OF SUCH PERSON. Is it the likes of Tinubu, Atiku, Ibori,Bode George who?
Suffice to say that yes he (ribadu) may have been perceived to be partial but, they stole our money and he went after them.

Can you compare anti corruption crusade under Ribadu to Madam Waziri - miles apart incomparable. How can you think of a situation where a culprit (an accused) makes the choice of EFCC lawyer to prosecute him. Why can't the EFCC lawyer handling the Ibori case be changed (bicos of his perceived closeness to Ibori), and the case be given to vibrant lawyers like--Felix Keyamo, Femi Falana, etc.

Please fellow Nigerians, let be realistic when we are posting anything here. Yes, Ribadu may have been partial but he did an extremely good work.

A word of advise to those benefiting from corruption, kindly change your attitude as time your time is almost up.

Please be informed that Ribadu-bashing has been elevated to a fad around here. It's at the level of mass-hysteria. Nigerians now prefer to believe the likes of Ibori. It beats the imagination to think of it. I guess the world is like that.
Re: Ribadu Vows To Return And Continue Fighting Corruption by MUZBO(m): 4:07pm On Nov 11, 2009
I like the guy but he should come first because talk is cheap.
Re: Ribadu Vows To Return And Continue Fighting Corruption by MUZBO(m): 4:08pm On Nov 11, 2009
I like the guy but he should come first because talk is cheap.
Re: Ribadu Vows To Return And Continue Fighting Corruption by Nezan(m): 4:23pm On Nov 11, 2009
The guy sure has questions to answer. I wonder why he likes making so much noise.
Re: Ribadu Vows To Return And Continue Fighting Corruption by sayso: 4:42pm On Nov 11, 2009
2 post you have and all you can say is that he is a legend,Legend for who?NR is a political Tug.
Re: Ribadu Vows To Return And Continue Fighting Corruption by CHALLENGER: 5:26pm On Nov 11, 2009
I'm still surprised and amazed the way some people think and to think that most users users of Nairaland youths who, from all their posting(thoughts) are not able to think objectively.

Ribadu needs to frequently speak out his mind (lest SILENT BE TAKEN AS CONSENT). It is worthy of note that Ribadu neither brags nor boast but, rather concentrate his efforts on meaningful discusion. Discussions that should stir the mind of the average Nigerian youth, such as to awaken his/her consciousness to arise and rescue the future of our great country from hawks.Examples of some of these discusions are: EFCC collecting 10% of recovered money from bank debtors; non publishing of EFCC's annual report, e.t.c.

However, I'm not terrible amazed bicos, I know that the mindset of our generation (and if care is not taken generation coming) has been basterdised such that we don't readily appreciate what is good. If not we would not be joining the forces of wickedness & corruption in tarnishing the image of a person who placed his life in the line of duty and did his or best possible in salvaging our dear country. Lets even assume he made some mistake does he deserve this bashing?

I strongly advise that youth who are members of NL have a rethink ( i mean change of thinking pattern) in a way that their thinking will be more objective rather been subjective. A word they say is a enough for the wise.
Re: Ribadu Vows To Return And Continue Fighting Corruption by zobay(m): 5:31pm On Nov 11, 2009
Some pple hv been brainwash by our politicians n sychophant pressguys. Ribadu is the best chairman EFCC has ever produced at least for now.
Re: Ribadu Vows To Return And Continue Fighting Corruption by CHALLENGER: 5:59pm On Nov 11, 2009
[b]I'm still surprised and amazed the way some people think and to think that most users users of Nairaland youths who, from all their posting(thoughts) are not able to think objectively.

Ribadu needs to frequently speak out his mind (lest SILENT BE TAKEN AS CONSENT). It is worthy of note that Ribadu neither brags nor boast but, rather concentrate his efforts on meaningful discusion. Discussions that should stir the mind of the average Nigerian youth, such as to awaken his/her consciousness to arise and rescue the future of our great country from hawks.Examples of some of these discusions are: EFCC collecting 10% of recovered money from bank debtors; non publishing of EFCC's annual report, e.t.c.

"However, I'm not terrible amazed bicos, I know that the mindset of our generation (and if care is not taken generation coming) has been basterdised such that we don't readily appreciate what is good. If not we would not be joining the forces of wickedness & corruption in tarnishing the image of a person who placed his life in the line of duty and did his or best possible in salvaging our dear country. Lets even assume he made some mistake does he deserve this bashing?

I strongly advise that youth who are members of NL have a rethink ( i mean change of thinking pattern) in a way that their thinking will be more objective rather been subjective. A word they say is a enough for the wise".

Kindly take note of the following:

1st Paragraph line 2 should read: "most users of NL are youths"
2nd Paragraph line 1 should read " SILENCE" and not SILENT
Line 6 paragraph 3 should read "who did his best possible"
Re: Ribadu Vows To Return And Continue Fighting Corruption by Enjoyment1(f): 6:13pm On Nov 11, 2009
Hatitude:

Then worship him!
Re: Ribadu Vows To Return And Continue Fighting Corruption by HERO111: 6:34pm On Nov 11, 2009
@challenger,
thumbs up. u tlk objectively my broda.
i fully support ur comment. we must have a rethink on thi instead of tlking based on political propaganda.
Re: Ribadu Vows To Return And Continue Fighting Corruption by bibiking1(m): 6:51pm On Nov 11, 2009
I am not totally for anybody in any country who comes out to fight corruption, infact i adore them, BUT when there i double standards i withdraw my support. I have first hand experience of ribabu collecting bribe to quash a corruption case against an inlaw of a former NSE president. So please he can come back to nigeria and fight corruption behind bars
Re: Ribadu Vows To Return And Continue Fighting Corruption by newdeal(m): 7:07pm On Nov 11, 2009
The gentleman did very well and got a lot of decisions right and exposed so many things happening at the top level of governance, but I think he almost got himself messed up at a point. His blanket exoneration of Obasanjo, Bode George among others, so many inconclusive corruption cases, etc. makes it difficult to really place his contributions to the fight against corruption in any logical perspective.
Re: Ribadu Vows To Return And Continue Fighting Corruption by Enjoyment1(f): 8:04pm On Nov 11, 2009
shawn123:

hiss,  Naija people self, after everything Ribadu did? He was close to rebranding Nigeria without any rebranding project and advertisement. Farida herself said he lodged 15 million dollars with the central bank, the money the so called Ibori tried to use to bribe him. That alone is an act only very few people all over the world can do even the richest Americans might not be able to reject that huge sum . I Wonder what it is exactly you all want, sighs and say a little prayrer for Nigerians,  undecided

On this matter, there are two things to look at here;
1.  If Ribadu actually collected $15m from Ibori, why did it take Ribadu almost 7 months before he finally told the whole world, Ibori bribed him?. Dont you thing Ribadu had an interior motive, because during this same period, he was twice sighted at the same Ibori's house. Doesn't this give little credibility to Ibori's allegation of Ribadu wanting him to help him become the next IG?.
2.  In another way, don't you think Ribadu would have secretly collected and kept this money, if not for the fact, there was a third party?. Where did he get money to buy a bullet proof car, where all his life savings plus gratuity and can not get him anything near the latest brand new Landcruiser, talkless of a bullet proof car?. He must have been involved in corrupt practices to be able to afford that, because I have checked all the condition of service as EFFC chairman, nothing like bullet proof car is attached to it, except for a cook, a driver, a steward, furniture allowance for 4 years, basic salary, estacode for travelling expenses which is just $500 etc. His salary is just over a million naira. I have the complete condition of service.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Oba Of Benin Expels Minister Over Neglect Of Benin-Ore-Lagos Express Road / Nigerian Export Import Bank To Create 160,000 New Jobs By 2015 / Nigeria As Largest Importer Of Thai Rice ($700 Million/year)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.