Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,356 members, 7,819,276 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:37 PM

Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. - Travel (172) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. (683906 Views)

The Adventures Of A Village Scholar In Germany / Getting A Green Card By Adjustment Of Status: My Yankee Experience / Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (169) (170) (171) (172) (173) (174) (175) ... (220) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Chapecoense(m): 8:54am On Aug 09, 2018
Originalsly:

You lost me..... guess you're on a different OS.
"On a different OS" got me dying grin
Version 2.0

4 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Chapecoense(m): 8:56am On Aug 09, 2018
Babyvet:

Through the express entry program, from what I told and they did not check status. So the person can leave, just won't be able to come to the US for a certain period of time or may never be able to come back.
Oh okay thanks.
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by decode55(m): 9:15am On Aug 09, 2018
What do people gain from telling humongous lies to anonymous strangers on the internet? grin

$700,000 kill you there grin grin

14 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Dremca(m): 10:17am On Aug 09, 2018
What are the challenges Nigerian immigrants face in starting a tech company in silicon valley and accessing funding from venture capitalist. How come there are less Nigerians in tech startup compared to Indians and Chinese immigrants.

3 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Nobody: 11:47am On Aug 09, 2018
Dremca:
What are the challenges Nigerian immigrants face in starting a tech company in silicon valley and accessing funding from venture capitalist. How come there are less Nigerians in tech startup compared to Indians and Chinese immigrants.

Not my area of expertise. Sorry
Kroger should be able to help...

1 Like

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Nobody: 12:41pm On Aug 09, 2018
Nig4Greatness:

Well, what you are taught regarding financial literacy especially as a teens has nothing to do with your realities when out of school.If that's the case,how come a lot of Americans are(die) in debts?.

To be honest alot of us weren't even taught it. This is on both sides, black and white. So if alot of the country is financially illiterate to begin with (we can debate on why) but then add to it a materialistic give me now society, gives you your answer. Plus the economy survives strongly on consumer spending. I took an Econ class last year and it is surprising and concerning on how deep it is.

1 Like

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by kroger: 12:54pm On Aug 09, 2018
Dremca:

If you read one of my previous post i talked about how the Indians are more structured in combining ideas in establishing tech companies, it must not be in silicon valley they are all over the 50 states.. Most Nigerians i have seen here from my experience hoard information cos they dont want you to be better than them, but the Indians have formed a formidable force in the IT sector, well organized people. They share information between themselves and with their combine effort and money they start up something brilliant with the initiator the CEO. You will not find one Indian person working in a warehouse or doing menial job except in a gas station which is owned by his brother or relation.

Mind you Indians are the richest immigrant in America, because of just one thing which is INFORMATION between themselves, so much so that they rarely borrow money in starting a tech company.

On the other hand Nigerians haven't gotten to that point yet because of our mentality, hoarding of information, "you must not be better than me in america" mentality. More so we are not organised like the Indians, and we have not created a niche for ourselves, we have a long way to go.. Right now some individuals who i have met are trying to create a niche in IT sector for Nigerians to compete with the Indians, its achievable but its gonna take a long time because of our attitude and mentality. I spoke on here about how my friend in IT security is trying to raise Nigerians to get into the field and i brought it up here but our Mentality will not let us see ahead.. I even mentioned how much he makes a year, i was labelled a liar. I am not giving up but will gladly train those who are willing to join the train to become a force to reckon with in the IT sector.

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Dremca(m): 1:09pm On Aug 09, 2018
Aside the Nigerian born, Chinedu Echeruo who sold his software hopstop to apple for $1B dollars, I have never heard of any Nigerian pushing boundaries in IT startup in US. What I see everyday are stories of Nigerians who broke record bagging multiple degrees with disctinctions not Nigerians solving real life problem. I am not saying bagging multiple degrees at once is not a good milestone but knowledge without applying it to solve problem is not really cool. I can say Nigerians abroad are intelligent but not smart (this is just my opinion) whereas the smart ones are doing cyber fraud in Nigeria. I have a dream and plan of being a tech startup founder in silicon valley someday.
kroger:

If you read one of my previous post i talked about how the Indians are more structured in combining ideas in establishing tech companies, it must not be in silicon valley they are all over the 50 states.. Most Nigerians i have seen here from my experience hoard information cos they dont want you to be better than them, but the Indians have formed a formidable force in the IT sector, well organized people. They share information between themselves and with their combine effort and money they start up something brilliant with the initiator the CEO. You will not find one Indian person working in a warehouse or doing menial job except in a gas station which is owned by his brother or relation.

Mind you Indians are the richest immigrant in America, because of just one thing which is INFORMATION between themselves, so much so that they rarely borrow money in starting a tech company.

On the other hand Nigerians haven't gotten to that point yet because of our mentality, hoarding of information, you must not be better than me in america mentality. More so we are not organised like the Indians, and we have not created a niche for ourselves, we have a long way to go.. Right now some individuals who i have met are trying to create a niche in IT sector for Nigerians to compete with the Indians, its achievable but its gonna take a long time because of our attitude and mentality. I spoke on here about how my friend in IT security is trying to raise Nigerians to get into the field and i brought it up here but our Mentality will not let us see ahead.. I even mentioned how much he makes a year, i was labelled a liar. I am not giving up but will gladly train those who are willing to join the train to become a force to reckon with in the IT sector.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by lordally(m): 2:12pm On Aug 09, 2018
kroger:

On the other hand Nigerians haven't gotten to that point yet because of our mentality, hoarding of information, "you must not be better than me in america" mentality. More so we are not organised like the Indians, and we have not created a niche for ourselves, we have a long way to go.. Right now some individuals who i have met are trying to create a niche in IT sector for Nigerians to compete with the Indians, its achievable but its gonna take a long time because of our attitude and mentality. I spoke on here about how my friend in IT security is trying to raise Nigerians to get into the field and i brought it up here but our Mentality will not let us see ahead.. I even mentioned how much he makes a year, i was labelled a liar. I am not giving up but will gladly train those who are willing to join the train to become a force to reckon with in the IT sector.

Kroger I'm still yet to get your reply on the mail I sent to you!!??

I've sent you my whatsapp number boss

1 Like

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Nig4Greatness: 3:21pm On Aug 09, 2018
Backfornow:

To be honest alot of us weren't even taught it. This is on both sides, black and white. So if alot of the country is financially illiterate to begin with (we can debate on why) but then add to it a materialistic give me now society, gives you your answer. Plus the economy survives strongly on consumer spending. I took an Econ class last year and it is surprising and concerning on how deep it is.

Exactly my thoughts,what's the essence of your financial literacy teachings if it doesn't reflects on your financial situations in the real world because it works at cross purpose with the established system.
There are things that happen in one's life that defies logic or teachings.
I never believed in the American financial system(though it works for some) but in my own opinion,the African culture of financial system best all others and it works for them far more than it does an average American.
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by gbope(m): 3:24pm On Aug 09, 2018
Kroger I sent you a PM...I don't know if u saw it . I wanted clarification about your earlier post about quality control engineers as it pertain to my field. U mentioned something about the resume which caught my attention. Could you please PM me as I don't know whether you received mine. Thanks in anticipation.
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Nig4Greatness: 3:30pm On Aug 09, 2018
Babyvet:

No its not. Ca is a high cost living state, so 65,000 is not big pay.

LMAO!!!...you made me laugh so hard..so $65k is a small pay to you now but you are everywhere attacking someone with $100k plus who is a professional as being fraudulent.your hypocrisy knows no bounds.
Besides,you have to stop this your "american" entitlement claims as if you are the only American on this forum who lives in America and understand the system.those born here don't even claim this unnecessary entitlement.
Fyi,majority of people in here are Americans and understand the system more much better than you do.

6 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Babyvet: 3:44pm On Aug 09, 2018
Nig4Greatness:

LMAO!!!...you made me laugh so hard..so $65k is a small pay to you now but you are everywhere attacking someone with $100k plus who is a professional as being fraudulent.your hypocrisy knows no bounds.
Besides,you have to stop this your "american" entitlement claims as if you are the only American on this forum who lives in America and understand the system, those born here don't even claim this unnecessary entitlement.
Fyi,majority of people in here are Americans and understand the system more much better than you do.

I see a common theme here, you too lack basic reading and comphresion. I have clearly stated multiple times, in multiple post that salary varies accross the country and is according to cost of living. You people like to pick and choose what you like to here . Some of you in this forum , need to take reading classes . I just mentioned how people in CAvmake higher salaries so don’t try and get smart with me . And if you know best then keep that shit to your damn self. Anyone else who wants to come to me with bs , can have several seats.

1 Like

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Nobody: 4:12pm On Aug 09, 2018
Dremca:
Aside the Nigerian born, Chinedu Echeruo who sold his software hopstop to apple for $1B dollars, I have never heard of any Nigerian pushing boundaries in IT startup in US. What I see everyday are stories of Nigerians who broke record bagging multiple degrees with disctinctions not Nigerians solving real life problem. I am not saying bagging multiple degrees at once is not a good milestone but knowledge without applying it to solve problem is not really cool. I can say Nigerians abroad are intelligent but not smart (this is just my opinion) whereas the smart ones are doing cyber fraud in Nigeria. I have a dream and plan of being a tech startup founder in silicon valley someday.

Do you have a kindle or laptop? The reaspn why I ask is that magazines such as Inc, Entrepreneur s, Wall Street Journal have articles about start ups and raising capital all the time. There is a website or app called Zippio or Ziddio something like that will allow you to download magazines. I just started accessing these magazines from my library, a wealth of information. It might be a little harder for you to do in Nigeria but I dont think impossible. Tbh capital raising is extremely hard no matter the race but from what I have experienced, communities such as Indians and Chinese are extremely tight knit and resource from within their own communities.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by dustydee: 4:23pm On Aug 09, 2018
Babyvet:

First, if your educated, your school system has failed you because basic reading and comprehension you lack. Me and backfornow were talking about correctional officers and you were talking about a probation officer. Both jobs have different requirement, job descriptions and pay. I never stated people of various degrees should be paid the same. I do not prefer 10 or 12 job and I do not earn such pay. Nobody is saying that anyone should come to this country to earn minimum wage or little more than that. No you stop posting false salaries and learn how the American system works and know the difference before gross income and take home. Better be careful, not everything that glitters is gold.
Please can you use the correct word (You are)? I noticed you have used it at least 3 times in 3 posts already, it makes reading a bit difficult.
Thanks.

7 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Nig4Greatness: 4:39pm On Aug 09, 2018
Backfornow:

Do you have a kindle or laptop? The reaspn why I ask is that magazines such as Inc, Entrepreneur s, Wall Street Journal have articles about start ups and raising capital all the time. There is a website or app called Zippio or Ziddio something like that will allow you to download magazines. I just started accessing these magazines from my library, a wealth of information. It might be a little harder for you to do in Nigeria but I dont think impossible. Tbh capital raising is extremely hard no matter the race but from what I have experienced, communities such as Indians and Chinese are extremely tight knit and resource from within their own communities.

I can completely relate with this,
You see opportunities abound in this country to those who knows what to do and where to find info and not some bunch claiming entitlement but looking for $20/hr a job all about.
When you spend 18hrs daily doing that routine job of yours,you are probably going to be deaf or blind to other important info that could change your life for better.you learn to earn,majority of Nigerians fall into this category.
Nigerians are intelligent but not smart and the smart ones rules the world.

PS...
I addition,I can bet you,those mags are so rich in info and you don't even need to download them.they are very easy and cheap to subscribe to.i get all business journals,wall str,automotive,travels,real Estate,money magazines and many others twice a month for just $20 quarterly. they are worth a million dollars in info.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by kroger: 4:41pm On Aug 09, 2018
dustydee:

Please can you use the correct word (You are)? I noticed you have used it at least 3 times in 3 posts already, it makes reading a bit difficult.
Thanks.
grin grin grin Una no go kill person for this thread.

5 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Nig4Greatness: 4:46pm On Aug 09, 2018
Babyvet:

I see a common theme here, you too lack basic reading and comphresion. I have clearly stated multiple times, in multiple post that salary varies accross the country and is according to cost of living. You people like to pick and choose what you like to here . Some of you in this forum , need to take reading classes . I just mentioned how people in CAvmake higher salaries so don’t try and get smart with me . And if you know best then keep that shit to your damn self. Anyone else who wants to come to me with bs , can have several seats.

Look at this one,when you were shouting this is america,it didn't occur to you that California,New York and co are part of the country shey??.
Have read some of your posts and it's good for you if you limit your dumb comments to the Healthcare sector where you claim to be a professional and leave other sectors cos it's obvious you don't know jack about what's going on there.

6 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by kroger: 4:47pm On Aug 09, 2018
gbope:
Kroger I sent you a PM...I don't know if u saw it . I wanted clarification about your earlier post about quality control engineers as it pertain to my field. U mentioned something about the resume which caught my attention. Could you please PM me as I don't know whether you received mine. Thanks in anticipation.

I just responded sir.. What industry are u currently working in.
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by lordally(m): 4:47pm On Aug 09, 2018
kroger:
grin grin grin Una no go kill person for this thread.

Much RESPECT KROGER FOR HITTING ME UP!!? I REALLY APPRECIATE!!! I SEARCHED FOR YOU ON WHATSAPP BUT COULDN'T GET YA!
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by kroger: 4:50pm On Aug 09, 2018
lordally:

Much RESPECT KROGER FOR HITTING ME UP!!? I REALLY APPRECIATE!!! I SEARCHED FOR YOU ON WHATSAPP BUT COULDN'T GET YA!

Boss it was a pleasure, did u add +1 to my number .. Never mind I will add u up instead.

1 Like

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by lordally(m): 4:52pm On Aug 09, 2018
kroger:

Boss it was a pleasure, did u add +1 to my number .. Never mind I will add u up instead.

Choi!!! I no add +1 ooo
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by kroger: 4:56pm On Aug 09, 2018
Nig4Greatness:

Look at this one,when you were shouting this is america,it didn't occur to you that California,New York and co are part of the country shey??.
Have read some of your posts and it's good for you if you limit your dumb comments to the Healthcare sector where you claim to be a professional and leave other sectors cos it's obvious you don't know jack about what's going on there.

Boss calm down pls I perfectly understand your submision, no one knows it all even me I am learning from all contributors. Let love reign boss

3 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Nobody: 5:06pm On Aug 09, 2018
Nig4Greatness:

You see opportunities abound in this country to those who knows what to do and where to find info and not some bunch claiming entitlement but looking for $20/hr a job all about.
When you spend 18hrs daily doing that routine job of yours,you are probably going to be deaf or blind to other important info that could change your life for better.you learn to earn,majority of Nigerians fall into this category.

PS...
I addition,I can bet you,those mags are so rich in info and you don't even need to download them.they are very easy and cheap to subscribe to.i get all business journals,wall str,automotive,travels,real Estate,money magazines and many others twice a month for just $20 quarterly. they are worth a million dollars in info.

True. I mentioned downloading bc for me in my state it is FREE. So I was thinking that maybe he could find a similar platform. Nothing wrong with subscriptions, I prefer hard copy personally.
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Nig4Greatness: 5:13pm On Aug 09, 2018
Dremca:

The drill is simple...Nigerians are not productive people,our cultures thought us to be consumers reason one would wonder why the country is where it is despite the many human resources scatter all over the world.very disheartening.when I went into business,I nearly changed my mind with the way my former colleagues(Nigerians) were given me million stuffs I stand to lose,now I can not thank my God enough.I now know better.
To be honest,we are lazy and always afraid of failure.we are contented with working as an employee instead of an employer.few that manage to own a business don't have plans for expansion,they are only concerned about today,so don't expect any venture capitalists or a good investor to invest in such business.
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Nobody: 5:36pm On Aug 09, 2018
Nig4Greatness:

PS...

This is not a fair.
Americans are taught to choose professions that they are passionate about irregardless of the pay. That is why you will see plenty of Americans who have these $ 20+ jobs and are content. Myself, I make good money as an xray tech but it is not my passion, that is why I am transitioning to business. I want to do not for profit work and I know that it will not pay alot, but that is my passion.
Also, none of us know it all, but I think that some of us have alot of life and career experiences that allow us to be knowledgeable on several subjects. So I think its ok to advise based on your own experiences.
Going forward, I think it will be best for everyone to assume that everyone else has had a different experience from the next person which doesn't make it not true. And one path doesnt fit all. So if one person made it one way, it doesnt mean that everyone else will make it or should even follow that same path. And finally fact check everything. There is just too much information and easily accessible to just blindly accept what someone is saying. Fact check me too, Im humble enough to admit when im wrong. The problem is Im never wrong. wink

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Ugosample(m): 5:37pm On Aug 09, 2018
Nig4Greatness:

The drill is simple...Nigerians are not productive people,our cultures thought us to be consumers reason one would wonder why the country is where it is despite the many human resources scatter all over the world.very disheartening.when I went into business,I nearly changed my mind with the way my former colleagues(Nigerians) were given me million stuffs I stand to lose,now I can not thank my God enough.I now know better.
To be honest,we are lazy and always afraid of failure.we are contented with working as an employee instead of an employer.few that manage to own a business don't have plans for expansion,they are only concerned about today,so don't expect any venture capitalists or a good investor to invest in such business.

You are right

Our parents, government and society lied to us and damaged us mentally

They are the ones who say getting a degree is a meal ticket

They are the ones who said "work hard, get a job, and you will be good"

We were never encouraged to be ground breakers, or take a risk, or contribute to global knowledge

Back then in school, I used to wonder why there was Boyle's Law and Charles law and Mendellen and Darwinism and many other laws and theories without hearibf Okoro's theory, or Ademola's law or Haruna's methodology or somehing like that?

The answer boils down to the unfortunate society they found themselves in undecided

Okay you produce PhDs in Nigeria /Africa

Of what epistemic use are those PhDs?
Can an industry pick up your PhD thesis and base serious economic decisions or otherwise on it

Nigeria is just a useless country, simple and short

9 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Babyvet: 5:38pm On Aug 09, 2018
dustydee:

Thanks.

Thank you grammar teacher.
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Babyvet: 5:39pm On Aug 09, 2018
Nig4Greatness:

You don’t know crap either but you and the rest can continue. You and Kroger , both go make your big dollars, Peace.
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Babyvet: 5:47pm On Aug 09, 2018
Backfornow:

This is not a fair.
Americans are taught to choose professions that they are passionate about irregardless of the pay. That is why you will see plenty of Americans who have these $ 20+ jobs and are content. Myself, I make good money as an xray tech but it is not my passion, that is why I am transitioning to business. I want to do not for profit work and I know that it will not pay alot, but that is my passion.
Also, none of us know it all, but I think that some of us have alot of life and career experiences that allow us to be knowledgeable on several subjects. So I think its ok to advise based on your own experiences.
Going forward, I think it will be best for everyone to assume that everyone else has had a different experience from the next person which doesn't make it not true. And one path doesnt fit all. So if one person made it one way, it doesnt mean that everyone else will make it or should even follow that same path. And finally fact check everything. There is just too much information and easily accessible to just blindly accept what someone is saying. Fact check me too, Im humble enough to admit when im wrong. The problem is Im never wrong. wink

According to some people on this thread , money triumphs everything , happiness and actually liking their job does not matter as long as they make their so called big dollars.
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Ugosample(m): 5:47pm On Aug 09, 2018
Nig4Greatness:

Exactly my thoughts,what's the essence of your financial literacy teachings if it doesn't reflects on your financial situations in the real world because it works at cross purpose with the established system.
There are things that happen in one's life that defies logic or teachings.
I never believed in the American financial system(though it works for some) but in my own opinion,the African culture of financial system best all others and it works for them far more than it does an average American.

Did you say the "African culture of financial system?"

Let me laugh out loud grin grin grin grin

Wait, wait

Let me laugh again grin grin cheesy grin

1 Like

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by dustydee: 5:47pm On Aug 09, 2018
Babyvet:

Thank you grammar teacher.
I am far from being a grammer teacher, it's just one of those things that hinder reading. I thought I should point it out due to the repeated use, peradventure it is not deliberate.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (169) (170) (171) (172) (173) (174) (175) ... (220) (Reply)

Giving Birth In Canada / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 19

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.