Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,870 members, 7,810,315 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 06:48 AM

Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. - Travel (220) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. (682483 Views)

The Adventures Of A Village Scholar In Germany / Getting A Green Card By Adjustment Of Status: My Yankee Experience / Naija to Yankee Thoughts And Experiences (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (217) (218) (219) (220) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by decode55(m): 12:32am On Jan 30
Dremca:
Community college is the equivalent of polytechnic in Nigeria.

Its not
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by FrankNetter(m): 12:33am On Jan 30
Hmm angry
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by FrankNetter(m): 12:38am On Jan 30
Going back and reading through my posts, I must say, my thinking has come a long way from the wide eyed kid who fled Nigeria 8 years ago. ‘

11 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by FrankNetter(m): 12:44am On Jan 30
My first full year working as a nurse, I made hella money. Specifically $133,000. Armed with my USA passport, I have traveled to Ethiopia, Mozambique, Portugal. With each trip, my mindset changes. I currently have no regrets ditching medical school and leaving Nigeria.
Maybe one day, I will write about my trips. Maybe I will fall back in love with writing. For now, I will read through my posts and relish the simpler times. smiley

23 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Hydriss(m): 1:07am On Jan 30
FrankNetter:
My first full year working as a nurse, I made hella money. Specifically $133,000. Armed with my USA passport, I have traveled to Ethiopia, Mozambique, Portugal. With each trip, my mindset changes. I currently have no regrets ditching medical school and leaving Nigeria.
Maybe one day, I will write about my trips. Maybe I will fall back in love with writing. For now, I will read through my posts and relish the simpler times. smiley
Big congratulations to you on all your success broo, may you always have course to celebrate
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by hammed71(m): 1:37am On Jan 30
Nice
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by lionlee216(m): 1:23pm On Feb 01
FrankNetter:

Nice to hear from you. Like you said, everytime I travel, my mindset changes and truly the best form of education is travel.

I had no skill set before leaving Nigeria maybe I had some background in SQL. So sometimes I laugh at people when they say in lizard in Nigeria can not become lion in America. America is called the land of opportunities for a reason as long as you continue to build yourself and surround yourself with positive minded people which has really helped me alot.

Even with all the ups and down, I made exactly $113,630 in 2023 in my logistics business and I'm praying for more opportunities.

Never regret leaving Nigeria and if u have the same goal too, kindly see it to an end. Learn a skill too.

Nigeria will always be my home after retirement but now, Nigeria is my favorite vacation spot grin

10 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by AlphaTaikun: 2:23pm On Feb 01
FrankNetter:
Ah! I see you live in Chitown and doing good career-wise. More power to your elbows.
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by AlphaTaikun: 2:26pm On Feb 01
lionlee216:

Nice to hear from you. Like you said, everytime I travel, my mindset changes and truly the best form of education is travel.

I had no skill set before leaving Nigeria maybe I had some background in SQL. So sometimes I laugh at people when they say in lizard in Nigeria can not become lion in America. America is called the land of opportunities for a reason as long as you continue to build yourself and surround yourself with positive minded people which has really helped me alot.

Even with all the ups and down, I made exactly $113,630 in 2023 in my logistics business and I'm praying for more opportunities.

Never regret leaving Nigeria and if u have the same goal too, kindly see it to an end. Learn a skill too.

Nigeria will always be my home after retirement but now, Nigeria is my favorite vacation spot grin
That's impressive.

What segment of logistics are you into? Truck haulage? Logistics is big business in the U.S. for those who know the path to follow.
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by studyless123: 4:33pm On Feb 01
FrankNetter:

Impressive for a start. As a doctor you would have made much more.
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by studyless123: 4:39pm On Feb 01
lionlee216:

Nice if that's just profit grin. I sold my last 18 wheeler last year and for me it's good bye to haulage grin.
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by lionlee216(m): 10:14pm On Feb 01
AlphaTaikun:

That's impressive.

What segment of logistics are you into? Truck haulage? Logistics is big business in the U.S. for those who know the path to follow.

I'm into air transportation(air cargo)

1 Like

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by lionlee216(m): 10:14pm On Feb 01
studyless123:

Nice if that's just profit grin. I sold my last 18 wheeler last year and for me it's good bye to haulage grin.

Lol. Show me the way
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by molybdenum0012: 10:19pm On Feb 01
You guys are making money in this Yankee oo. I got here about 7 months ago and first full time job na like 70k plus.

Looking forward to start making 100k plus like you guys. And I know na from business one can make such money, not thus 9-5 job.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Bossman(m): 7:14pm On Feb 02
USA is a land of opportunities. If you are dedicated and can work hard the sky is the limit for you. Nurses have different options to make such amount - overtime, shift differential, Holiday pay, etc.
molybdenum0012:
You guys are making money in this Yankee oo. I got here about 7 months ago and first full time job na like 70k plus.

Looking forward to start making 100k plus like you guys. And I know na from business one can make such money, not thus 9-5 job.

4 Likes

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Lisa290: 8:16pm On Feb 02
I don't envy any one of you guys. Too much crime on Chirac.
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by molybdenum0012: 10:58pm On Feb 02
Bossman:
USA is a land of opportunities. If you are dedicated and can work hard the sky is the limit for you. Nurses have different options to make such amount - overtime, shift differential, Holiday pay, etc.

I am a health physicist, and that amount seems entry-level though varied from one State to another. From my findings, one has to be certified (CHP) to start getting better opportunities for higher pay. But the exams seem to be the toughest exam I know. May God help us all and show us the way in this foreign land.

1 Like

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by molybdenum0012: 11:00pm On Feb 02
Lisa290:

My guy, chill! Crime is everywhere. Just stay out of trouble and pray constantly to God to protect you anywhere on earth you are.
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by kumbhuru: 6:55am On Feb 03
Lisa290:
You do envy, if not you won't be here to type it.

1 Like

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Bossman(m): 6:30pm On Feb 03
There is crime everywhere. And besides, most of the crime here in Chi-town is concentrated on the West side of downtown. I am in quiet and very safe a Suburb about 55 miles from downtown. Majority of Nigerians live in Suburbs and will not experience any of the crime. And downtown proper itself is quite safe. Took the train down there for work for about 15 years or so...no issues at all.
Lisa290:

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by decode55(m): 7:19am On Feb 04
Lisa290:

On paper.
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by decode55(m): 7:20am On Feb 04
Bossman:
There is crime everywhere. And besides, most of the crime here in Chi-town is concentrated on the West side of downtown. I am in quiet and very safe a Suburb about 55 miles from downtown. Majority of Nigerians live in Suburbs and will not experience any of the crime. And downtown proper itself is quite safe. Took the train down there for work for about 15 years or so...no issues at all.

You’re in Illinois?

1 Like

Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by AlphaTaikun: 6:16am On Feb 05
lionlee216:

I'm into air transportation(air cargo)
That's really impressive. Not many Nigerian immigrants are in that air cargo niche.
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by Thewritingnerd(f): 8:14pm On Mar 13
Are you considering the CRNA route (what’s better than being a Doctor (technically) and a Nurse at the same time? 😮‍💨)
FrankNetter:
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by piper7(m): 11:56pm On Mar 13
How easy is it to convert visitor visa to study permit in US?The person considering this is a certified data analyst and she is also considering taking a course in caregiving.
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by AyobamiIsaac12: 1:46am On Mar 14
piper7:
How easy is it to convert visitor visa to study permit in US?The person considering this is a certified data analyst and she is also considering taking a course in caregiving.
The person should go back home and apply for a study visa
Re: Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. by kumbhuru: 8:28am On Mar 23
AyobamiIsaac12:
The person should go back home and apply for a study visa
Dey play

(1) (2) (3) ... (217) (218) (219) (220) (Reply)

Giving Birth In Canada / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 19 / General German Student Visa Enquiries Part 4

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.