Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,411 members, 7,954,629 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 03:14 AM

20 Annoying Words On Your CV That Make Hiring You Difficult - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / 20 Annoying Words On Your CV That Make Hiring You Difficult (1980 Views)

We Are Hiring , You Might Be The Lucky One. / 7 Costly Mistakes On CV That Leave Graduates Unemployed / Urgent Vacancy!!! PVMagazine Ltd Is Hiring [You Must Reside In Owerri, Imo] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

20 Annoying Words On Your CV That Make Hiring You Difficult by duketunde: 9:34am On Dec 06, 2016
Nearly every job applicant is guilty of this, the use of buzzwords from time to time, but professionals
are increasingly on their ability to communicate, "says Paul Mcdonald, a senior executive director for personal-placement firm Robert Half.

Some of the major problems with using buzzwords, according to Mary Lorenz, a corporate-communications manager at CareerBuilder, are that they have become so overused that they've lost all meaning, and they don't differentiate the job seeker from other candidates because they're so generic.Other, less jargony words and terms should be avoided when they serve little purpose to the hiring manager. All these words do is waste their time and, as a result, you lose out on the few precious seconds a recruiter spends scanning your résumé.
Instead, Lorenz says job seekers should speak in terms of accomplishments and show rather than tell.
"Avoiding overused terms can help job seekers convey their message and stand out from the crowd," McDonald says.

Here's what you should avoid:

1. "Best of breed"
When CareerBuilder surveyed more than 2,200 hiring managers last year, it found "best of breed" to be the most irritating term to be seen on a résumé.
The phrase offers little meaning and doesn't help differentiate candidates. "Employers want to know what makes the job seekers unique, and how they will add value to the specific organization for which they're applying," Lorenz says.
2. 'Phone'
Career coach Eli Amdur tells Business Insider that there is no reason to put the word "phone" in front of the actual number: "It's pretty silly. They know it's your phone number."
The same rule applies to email.
3. 'Results-driven'
"Instead of simply saying that you're results-driven, write about what you did to actually drive results — and what those results were," Lorenz suggests.
4. 'Seasoned'
"Not only does this word conjure up images of curly fries," says Rita Friedman, a Philadelphia-based career coach, but "it is well-recognized as a code word for 'much, much older.'
5. 'Highly qualified'
McDonald says using terms like "highly qualified" or "extensive experience" won't make you seem better suited for the job — in fact, it could have the opposite effect. Instead, he suggests you focus on the skills, accomplishments, and credentials you bring to the role.
6. 'Responsible for'
Superfluous words like "responsible for," "oversight of," and "duties included" unnecessarily complicate and hide your experience, says Alyssa Gelbard, founder and president of Résumé Strategists.
"Be direct, concise, and use active verbs to describe your accomplishments," she suggests.
Instead of writing, "Responsible for training interns ...," simply write, "Train interns ..."
7. 'I,' 'me,' or 'myself'
Avoid using personal pronouns like I, me, my, we, or our, Gelbard says.
"A person reviewing your résumé knows that you're talking about your skills, experience, and expertise or something related to the company for which you worked, so you don't need to include pronouns."
ZipRecruiter also found people who use "me" or "myself" on their résumé had up to a 79% greater likelihood of receiving the lowest rating from hiring managers.
8. 'References available by request'
This outdated phrase will unnecessarily show your age, Gelbard says: "If you progress through the interviewing process, you will be asked for personal and professional references."
9. 'Ambitious'
"Of course you would never say you're 'lazy' either, but calling yourself ambitious doesn't make any sense on a résumé," Friedman says.
"It can imply that you're targeting this job now, but will quickly be looking to move up in the company because you won't be satisfied in the role, leaving the employer stuck with doing a new job search in the very near future."
10. 'Team player'
"Who doesn't want to be a team player? If you're not a team player, you're probably not going to get the job," McDonald says.
But using this term isn't going to make you stand out from other candidates. "Instead, use an example of how you saved a company time, money, and resources on a team project or in collaboration with others."
11. 'Microsoft Word'
Yes, you and everyone else.
It's assumed that you have a basic proficiency in Microsoft Office, Gelbard says. Unless you have expert proficiency, there's no need to include it on your résumé.
12. 'Interfaced'
"Words like this make you sound like an automaton," Oliver says. "Most recruiters would rather meet with a human being. Keep your verbs simple and streamlined."
13. 'Hard worker'
It's true that a company is less likely to consider you if you haven't worked hard or don't come across as someone who will put in what it takes to get the job done, but that doesn't mean writing "hard worker" will convince hiring managers of your efforts.
"Give concrete examples of h

Read more at http://www.duketundesblog.com/2016/12/20-annoying-words-on-your-cv-that-make.html#IcJuCkvjKgbmBY3u.99

1 Like

Re: 20 Annoying Words On Your CV That Make Hiring You Difficult by ammyluv2002(f): 9:43am On Dec 06, 2016
Hmmm! Good points
Re: 20 Annoying Words On Your CV That Make Hiring You Difficult by Neozy(m): 11:06am On Dec 06, 2016
This Only Apply To America, Not Nigeria. If Dey Don't Use All These Words, Which Word Should Dey Use? Thank God Say I Be Self-employed
Re: 20 Annoying Words On Your CV That Make Hiring You Difficult by FreeSpirited: 3:32pm On Dec 06, 2016
That's why I hate writing CV and going for interview , you dnt even know which rule is best to apply......Rules come up everyday

2 Likes

Re: 20 Annoying Words On Your CV That Make Hiring You Difficult by toprealman: 4:27pm On Dec 06, 2016
FreeSpirited:
That's why I hate writing CV and going for interview , you dnt even know which rule is best to apply......Rules come up everyday
lol....funny thing is that some land mouth watering jabs with same shii CV.
Re: 20 Annoying Words On Your CV That Make Hiring You Difficult by FreeSpirited: 4:33pm On Dec 06, 2016
toprealman:
lol....funny thing is that some land mouth watering jabs with same shii CV.
I tell you.... some won't even write any CV and they will get the job.....I dnt have time wasting on fake jobs that already have their secret candidates picked while u stress on CV and interview
Re: 20 Annoying Words On Your CV That Make Hiring You Difficult by toprealman: 5:09pm On Dec 06, 2016
FreeSpirited:
I tell you.... some won't even write any CV and they will get the job.....I dnt have time wasting on fake jobs that already have their secret candidates picked while u stress on CV and interview
Brah, what will be will be....

(1) (Reply)

N-POWER Alerts 2017/2018 Candidates On Their Qualification / How To Receive Emails On Job Vacancies On Nairaland / Stocks Down, Oil/gold Up; Time To Invest

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.