₦airaland Forum

Welcome, Guest: Join Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 2,297,520 members, 5,049,095 topics. Date: Sunday, 21 July 2019 at 09:48 AM

First Time Canadian - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / First Time Canadian (1829 Views)

How Pius Adesanmi's Mother Had Her Canadian Visa Stamped In Her House In Kwara. / Nigerian-canadian Citizen Illegally Detained By Border Patrol For 8 Months / Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program-Connect Here Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

First Time Canadian by wyzoe: 4:42pm On Dec 06, 2016
For those who are experienced, suppose a person is a Canadian citizen and is educated up to Masters level (but in the Nigerian Educational System), and this person now wishes to relocate to Canada for the first time, what are the prospects of getting a job in Canada?

Will the person have to enroll all over again in a Canadian School? Take remedial classes or the person can use his/her Nigerian degree to work in Canada?
Re: First Time Canadian by ifegy: 3:24am On Dec 07, 2016
wyzoe:
For those who are experienced, suppose a person is a Canadian citizen and is educated up to Masters level (but in the Nigerian Educational System), and this person now wishes to relocate to Canada for the first time, what are the prospects of getting a job in Canada?

Will the person have to enroll all over again in a Canadian School? Take remedial classes or the person can use his/her Nigerian degree to work in Canada?

You'll probably be in the same situation as most 'new Canadians' (i.e., immigrants): you need to find out how to 'bridge' between your current qualifications and your desired career. You may indeed have to take professional exams or get Canadian qualifications/certifications. As a citizen you can get aid with paying for education that you need to undertake when you are there.
What's your area of study? What's your experience? What's your desired career path? What province are you going to, and what do they require from you to be able to work in your area of desired practice? You should research before you go so that you can prepare as much as possible (e.g. write exams before you leave if needed and if possible), so that you can hit the ground running when you arrive. You can google for the Canadian government's Service Canada website and check for information on job issues for newcomers to Canada, foreign credentials evaluation, career help (e.g., how to prepare a Canadian resume, how to prepare for interviews, etc.). You may need to be patient in working towards your career goals, as some fields/employers may prefer for you to have Canadian experience.
All the best.

2 Likes

Re: First Time Canadian by LEOSIRSIR(m): 6:24am On Dec 07, 2016
check this thread all you need is there

@wyzoe
@justwise
https://www.nairaland.com/3315266/travelling-canada-part-11
Re: First Time Canadian by wyzoe: 7:37am On Dec 07, 2016
LEOSIRSIR:
check this thread all you need is there

@wyzoe
@justwise
https://www.nairaland.com/3315266/travelling-canada-part-11

Thanks a lot.
Re: First Time Canadian by wyzoe: 7:37am On Dec 07, 2016
ifegy:

You'll probably be in the same situation as most 'new Canadians' (i.e., immigrants): you need to find out how to 'bridge' between your current qualifications and your desired career. You may indeed have to take professional exams or get Canadian qualifications/certifications. As a citizen you can get aid with paying for education that you need to undertake when you are there.
What's your area of study? What's your experience? What's your desired career path? What province are you going to, and what do they require from you to be able to work in your area of desired practice? You should research before you go so that you can prepare as much as possible (e.g. write exams before you leave if needed and if possible), so that you can hit the ground running when you arrive. You can google for the Canadian government's Service Canada website and check for information on job issues for newcomers to Canada, foreign credentials evaluation, career help (e.g., how to prepare a Canadian resume, how to prepare for interviews, etc.). You may need to be patient in working towards your career goals, as some fields/employers may prefer for you to have Canadian experience.
All the best.

Thanks ifegy
I see that you are in Canada. I might bug you from time to time for more info.
Re: First Time Canadian by wyzoe: 11:44am On Jun 20
Almost three years later, it has come to pass.

I land in August, just about a month away. Dreams do come true.

If anyone has tips, especially those under the "things I wished someone told me" category, I'm all ears.

6 Likes

Re: First Time Canadian by wyzoe: 11:48am On Jun 20
I informed my office yesterday, there were quite a few hugs, firm handshakes and a teary eye or two. Even people who don't talk much to me said they'd miss me.

One said I should carry her asoebi cloth to Canada so I won't forget her. That was funny grin

5 Likes

Re: First Time Canadian by pejuhazel(f): 4:17am On Jun 21
wyzoe:
I informed my office yesterday, there were quite a few hugs, firm handshakes and a teary eye or two. Even people who don't talk much to me said they'd miss me.

One said I should carry her asoebi cloth to Canada so I won't forget her. That was funny grin

Congratulations and wishing you a successful landing. Hope to join you soon
Re: First Time Canadian by damzy88: 4:43am On Jun 21
wyzoe:

Congrats
Re: First Time Canadian by wyzoe: 4:50am On Jun 21
damzy88:
Congrats
Thank you.

pejuhazel:

Congratulations and wishing you a successful landing. Hope to join you soon

Thank you. Hope to hear your good news really soon.
Re: First Time Canadian by Kirchhoff01(m): 5:57pm On Jun 21
This goes to show that.....
Re: First Time Canadian by Majesticniyi(m): 4:23pm On Jun 22
Never give up on your dreams, that's the lesson!

We await you cool
Re: First Time Canadian by ariketalks: 4:50pm On Jun 22
Congrats brother. May God go with you.
Re: First Time Canadian by hammed71(m): 5:24pm On Jun 22
wyzoe:

are you already a Canadian citizen or you applied through express entry?
Re: First Time Canadian by wyzoe: 9:35am On Jun 23
Majesticniyi:
Never give up on your dreams, that's the lesson!

We await you cool
Thank you!

ariketalks:
Congrats brother. May God go with you.

Thank you!

hammed71:
are you already a Canadian citizen or you applied through express entry?

Already a citizen.

4 Likes

Re: First Time Canadian by Hadampson(m): 9:47am On Jun 23
wyzoe:

Already a citizen.

Lucky you sir

I think it's high time i pay my parents a visit and ask them if am a citizen of another country apart from Nigeria smiley

2 Likes

Re: First Time Canadian by wyzoe: 9:56am On Jun 23
Hadampson:

Lucky you sir

I think it's high time i pay my parents a visit and ask them if am a citizen of another country apart from Nigeria smiley

Yeah, I consider myself extremely lucky.

I went to IOM about two years ago thinking I'd be one of the oldest there. I was actually one of the youngest. I was like shocked shocked shocked

1 Like

Re: First Time Canadian by Hadampson(m): 6:13pm On Jun 23
wyzoe:

Yeah, I consider myself extremely lucky.

I went to IOM about two years ago thinking I'd be one of the oldest there. I was actually one of the youngest. I was like shocked shocked shocked

Yes, you are smiley

Wish i could be as lucky as you sir smiley
Re: First Time Canadian by queengift(f): 8:17pm On Jun 23
Am happy for you dear, determination is indeed a gain of success.

Can wait to migrate ooo
Re: First Time Canadian by wyzoe: 9:03am On Jun 28
Part of my preparation has been reading personal finance books by different authors (and I've read a lot).

The one I'm reading now is "I Will Teach You to be Rich" by Ramit Sethi.
I'm posting this because of a passage on taxes (since this is a debate that occurs from time to time on the travel section)

I’m happy to pay my taxes. I take advantage of every legal tax advantage I have, like using tax-advantaged accounts, but I know that my taxes contribute to an overall system of stability. I also know that I can always earn more, so I don’t use taxes as the primary factor in my decisions. Finally, if you ever get the urge to complain about taxes, go take a ride on a road anywhere else in the world. Notice the difference in infrastructure? So give me a break, pay your taxes, and be a contributing member of society.

(1) (Reply)

Finally! Crystal Services Is Fraud. / Help From Nigerian Students In US / Transit Visa...... Plz Help

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (0) (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2019 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.