Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,735 members, 7,820,541 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:44 PM

Trump Names Carson As Housing Secretary - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Trump Names Carson As Housing Secretary (1306 Views)

Kola Ologbodiyan, The Publicity Secretary Of PDP Fires First Shot / Buhari Sacks Permanent Secretary For Awarding Contracts To Himself / Fashola Inspects 76 Housing Units In Jalingo, Taraba State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Trump Names Carson As Housing Secretary by Alexandrason(m): 5:48pm On Dec 06, 2016
Donald Trump’s transition team announced on Monday that former presidential candidate Ben Carson had been nominated as housing secretary. “Ben shares my optimism about the future of our country and is part of ensuring that this is a presidency representing all Americans,” the president-elect said. Carson had previously removed himself from the running for a cabinet position after his spokesperson said that he did not feel qualified to run a federal agency.

The US President-elect Donald Trump chose Ben Carson, the mild-mannered retired neurosurgeon who challenged him for the Republican nomination, to turn around troubled US inner cities as secretary of housing and urban development.

Carson, an African American who is a religious conservative, has no background in housing policy but has cited his poor childhood in Detroit as a qualification for the job.

He is the first black selected by Trump for his team.

In a statement, “Ben Carson has a brilliant mind and is passionate about strengthening communities and families within those communities.”

“We have talked at length about my urban renewal agenda and our message of economic revival, very much including our inner cities.”

“Ben Carson has a brilliant mind and is passionate about strengthening communities and families within those communities,” Trump said in a statement.

“We have talked at length about my urban renewal agenda and our message of economic revival, very much including our inner cities.”

Carson said: “I feel that I can make a significant contribution particularly by strengthening communities that are most in need.

“We have much work to do in enhancing every aspect of our nation and ensuring that our nation’s housing needs are met.”

“I grew up in the inner city,” Carson told Fox News last month. “And have spent a lot of time there. And have dealt with a lot of patients from that area.”

Carson briefly led the Republican presidential pack during the primaries, offering voters an unruffled, slow-talking persona that contrasted sharply with high-decibel slug-fest around him.

His bid initially gained support among Christian conservatives but it ultimately fizzled as he fell short when presenting concrete policies and answering questions about key issues.

The Seventh Day Adventist had presented himself as an alternative to Trump, preaching tolerance and compromise but sometimes unleashing blunt rhetoric. These included many references to Nazi Germany, such as his suggestion that Jews would have fared better in the Holocaust had they been armed.

Trump mercilessly mocked him on the campaign trail, accusing Carson of having a “pathological” temper.

Nevertheless, Carson endorsed the real estate billionaire after withdrawing from the race in March, describing his former rival as “a very intelligent man who cares deeply about America.”

He took Trump on a neighborhood tour of his Detroit hometown in September at a time when the nominee was looking to boost his image with African-American voters.

He also came to Trump’s defense following the release of a 2005 audiotape in which he bragged about groping women.

About Ben Carson

This 65-year-old grew up poor, raised by an illiterate mother who married at age 13 but left her bigamist husband.

He developed into a model student, earning a scholarship to Yale University and attending the University of Michigan medical school.

At 33, he became the director of pediatric neurosurgery at Johns Hopkins University, earning global acclaim in 1987 by performing the first successful separation of twins conjoined at the head.

This renowned author, retired in 2013 to hit the conservative talk circuit, describing how faith and family values had helped him as a drifting teenager to realize his dream.

He routinely promotes a return to individual responsibility — a value that led him to denounce the welfare state, which he has warned only traps people in poverty.

“If we continually keep people in a dependent position,” he told conservatives in 2013, “then they’re soon going to lose the drive that is necessary to achieve in our society.”

Source: http://vergehub.com/trump-names-carson-as-housing-secretary/
Re: Trump Names Carson As Housing Secretary by tomaudu(m): 5:51pm On Dec 06, 2016
Re: Trump Names Carson As Housing Secretary by maurisoft(m): 6:10pm On Dec 06, 2016
And that's another point to him undecided
Re: Trump Names Carson As Housing Secretary by Ogonimilitant(m): 6:26pm On Dec 06, 2016
Biafra loading. We shall all live to see what Nigeria will become soon
Re: Trump Names Carson As Housing Secretary by Mentcee(m): 6:56pm On Dec 06, 2016
Bleep the idiott called Buhari!
Re: Trump Names Carson As Housing Secretary by mykeljosef: 7:11pm On Dec 06, 2016
us politicians
b4 election -my way of making us greater is better than yours type of rivals
after elections - guys how can we make our country greater without dividing

naija
b4 eletions - kill the citizens
after elections - lets frustrate any form of opposition
Re: Trump Names Carson As Housing Secretary by Godprotectigbo2(f): 8:25pm On Dec 06, 2016
why is it that i cant comment on business section cry cry cry cry

am not happy embarassed embarassed embarassed
Re: Trump Names Carson As Housing Secretary by Nobody: 8:32pm On Dec 06, 2016
Godprotectigbo2:
why is it that i cant comment on business section cry cry cry cry

am not happy embarassed embarassed embarassed
You are troublesome so just stay on politics section tongue

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Trump Names Carson As Housing Secretary by StOla: 8:51pm On Dec 06, 2016
A Neurosurgeon as Housing Secretary (Minister).

The wailers must impeach Trump for this Buharic failure.
Re: Trump Names Carson As Housing Secretary by Godprotectigbo2(f): 10:37pm On Dec 06, 2016
Kathmandu:
You are troublesome so just stay on politics section tongue

cry cry
Re: Trump Names Carson As Housing Secretary by Godprotectigbo2(f): 7:34am On Dec 07, 2016
grin

(1) (Reply)

Nigeria Is Ranked 9th Among Countries Practicing Female Infanticide / Church Building Collapse;"None Of My Aides Died Trying To Save Me"-Gov Udom.PICS / What A Mother Told Her Son A Day Before His Wedding To Keep Marriage Safe

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.