Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,759 members, 7,817,099 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:28 AM

Nigeria Is Ranked 9th Among Countries Practicing Female Infanticide - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Is Ranked 9th Among Countries Practicing Female Infanticide (1301 Views)

Nigeria Among Countries To Lose Over $11,363,500,000.00 USA Aids To UN Vote / Nigerians Ranked 9th Most Generous People In Africa, 56th In The World / Video: Biafra Listed Among Countries On BBC Headquarters (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Is Ranked 9th Among Countries Practicing Female Infanticide by Nobody: 2:24pm On Dec 11, 2016
Female infanticide world wide released a report in 11/7/2016 ranking Nigeria 9th in the world with skewed male to female birth ratio. It is suspended that most countries on this list are killing female fetuses in favor of males

It is a cause for concern that Nigeria who is supposed to be the giant of Africa is the only Sub-Saharan African country on this list, the rest are Asians and North African countries. We are definitely leading from behind in protecting the lives of our female children

Analysing the available statistics provided by CIA World fact book, on child sex ratio at birth, the Asia Centre for human rights (ACHR) ranked the top countries in the world on skewed sex ratio at birth as follows:

Country Males Females

1) Liechtenstein 126 :100

2) China 115 : 100

3) Armenia 113 : 100

4) India 112 : 100

5) Azerbaijan 111 : 100

6) Vietnam 111 : 100

7) Georgia 108 : 100

8. ) South Korea 107 : 100

8. ) Tunisia 107 : 100

9) Nigeria 106 : 100

10) Pakistan 105 : 100

Ministry of women affairs need to do more on protecting the lives of unborn girls

http://www.wunrn.com/2016/07/female-infanticide-study-country-data/
Re: Nigeria Is Ranked 9th Among Countries Practicing Female Infanticide by LecciGucci: 2:30pm On Dec 11, 2016
undecided
Re: Nigeria Is Ranked 9th Among Countries Practicing Female Infanticide by BoleynDynaSTY(f): 2:30pm On Dec 11, 2016
Ah don believe this lipsrsealed sadBut men are still scarce in Nigeria undecided
Re: Nigeria Is Ranked 9th Among Countries Practicing Female Infanticide by ajokebelle(f): 2:32pm On Dec 11, 2016
Reminds me of the topic where an actress said her husband wanted her to abort her pregnancy because they where poor, but when he heard the foetus was a boy, he told her not to abort it again
Re: Nigeria Is Ranked 9th Among Countries Practicing Female Infanticide by Nobody: 2:47pm On Dec 11, 2016
BoleynDynaSTY:
Ah don believe this lipsrsealed sadBut men are still scarce in Nigeria undecided

Who told you this?
Re: Nigeria Is Ranked 9th Among Countries Practicing Female Infanticide by Nobody: 2:48pm On Dec 11, 2016
ajokebelle:
Reminds me of the topic where an actress said her husband wanted her to abort her pregnancy because they where poor, but when he heard the foetus was a boy, he told her not to abort it again

It happens often
Re: Nigeria Is Ranked 9th Among Countries Practicing Female Infanticide by Nobody: 2:49pm On Dec 11, 2016
tongue
Re: Nigeria Is Ranked 9th Among Countries Practicing Female Infanticide by Nobody: 3:13pm On Dec 11, 2016
shocked

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Is Ranked 9th Among Countries Practicing Female Infanticide by cascarino(m): 3:30pm On Dec 11, 2016
Pidgin2:

Who told you this?
Actually, more male issues are born but males have more mortality rate than females. Simply, because more men commit crimes than women and more male casualties are record in times of war because men are used to execute war . So, as they grow the number of men keeps dwindling while that of women remain constant in most cases. women also have longer life span than men that's why there are more widows compared to widowers. To me I don't see the difference in birth rate as femicide rather natures way of balancing things up: since males die more, it is wise they are born more.
Re: Nigeria Is Ranked 9th Among Countries Practicing Female Infanticide by Nobody: 3:38pm On Dec 11, 2016
cascarino:
Actually, more male issues are born but males have more mortality rate than females. Simply, because more men commit crimes than women and more male casualties are record in times of war because men are used to execute war . So, as they grow the number of men keeps dwindling while that of women remain constant in most cases. women also have longer life span than men that's why there are more widows compared to widowers. To me I don't see the difference in birth rate as femicide rather natures way of balancing things up: since males die more, it is wise they are born more.

How can you say something as ridiculous as this?
Re: Nigeria Is Ranked 9th Among Countries Practicing Female Infanticide by Litmus: 4:25pm On Dec 11, 2016
Generally Nigerian girls are spoiled rotten in families. Also in Nigeria, traditionally, women and not men receive Bride Price, which made girls valuable - if we want to be cynical about it. Uhmmm, Girls were and are renown hard workers on farms in days of our simple agrarian societies, so were vital. Sometimes it seems to me as if Nigeria is arbitrarily tacked onto World Lists for the sake of it. We represent that vague repository of darkness wherein white fears of the Otherness swirls and froths away abiding its time.....

perhaps i mean in the south; in which case, is it the practice of Northern Muslims to terminate infant girls ?
Re: Nigeria Is Ranked 9th Among Countries Practicing Female Infanticide by truthspeaks: 4:28pm On Dec 11, 2016
N hw will dis help our economy
Re: Nigeria Is Ranked 9th Among Countries Practicing Female Infanticide by Nobody: 4:39pm On Dec 11, 2016
Litmus:
Generally Nigerian girls are spoiled rotten in families. Also in Nigeria, traditionally, women and not men receive Bride Price, which made girls valuable - if we want to be cynical about it. Sometimes it seems to me as if Nigeria is arbitrarily tacked onto World Lists for the sake of it. We represent that vague repository of darkness wherein white fears of the Otherness swirls and froths away abiding its time.....

So you think this is a partial list, how come Ghana and other Sub-Saharan countries are not there? This statistics shows actual data and not falsified ones. Stop denying reality here, we are fond of denying the truth
Re: Nigeria Is Ranked 9th Among Countries Practicing Female Infanticide by Litmus: 4:41pm On Dec 11, 2016
Pidgin2:

So you think this is a partial list, how come Ghana and other Sub-Saharan countries are not there? This statistics shows actual data and not falsified ones. Stop denying reality here, we are fond of denying the truth

So which Nigerian communities practiced killing girls?
Re: Nigeria Is Ranked 9th Among Countries Practicing Female Infanticide by Nobody: 4:46pm On Dec 11, 2016
Litmus:

So which Nigerian communities practiced killing girls?

Why don't you conduct your own research to find out? I am aware that there are some tribes where male child preference has traditional backing as women cannot inherit property and cannot perform some other traditional rights, I guess this should be the main tribe responsible for infanticide but this is only an opinion, you can conduct actual research on this if you want.
Re: Nigeria Is Ranked 9th Among Countries Practicing Female Infanticide by Litmus: 5:06pm On Dec 11, 2016
Pidgin2:

Why don't you conduct your own research to find out? I am aware that there are some tribes where male child preference has traditional backing as women cannot inherit property and cannot perform some other traditional rights, I guess this should be the main tribe responsible for infanticide but this is only an opinion, you can conduct actual research on this if you want.

You're doing what such Western reports do,which is vaguely cast aspersion in the wind, hoping impressions -that they worked hard to create about a people or group - enables it to stick. One can pinpoint tribes in Nigeria in which it was cultural practice, not family whim, for twins to be terminated, i know of none in which infant girls were killed commonly as is practiced in Asia.

Please someone, where in Nigeria are infant girls killed to the extent Nigeria is on a list ahead of Pakistan for murdering girls ?
Re: Nigeria Is Ranked 9th Among Countries Practicing Female Infanticide by Nobody: 5:11pm On Dec 11, 2016
Litmus:

You're doing what such Western reports do,which is vaguely cast aspersion in the wind, hoping impressions -that they worked hard to create about a people or group - enables it to stick. One can pinpoint tribes in Nigeria in which it was cultural practice, not family whim, for twins to be terminated, i know of none in which infant girls were killed commonly as is practiced in Asia.

Show me stats that cancel their findings. No one deliberately put Nigeria in there but our country was found to have skewed birth sex ratios. I understand how this must make you feel ashamed but it's the truth. People are doing it, how else can you explain 106 males to every 100 female
Re: Nigeria Is Ranked 9th Among Countries Practicing Female Infanticide by Blue3k(m): 5:35pm On Dec 11, 2016
I only wonder if this is going to skew ration the males and females to high degree.
Re: Nigeria Is Ranked 9th Among Countries Practicing Female Infanticide by Litmus: 5:41pm On Dec 11, 2016
Pidgin2:

Show me stats that cancel their findings. No one deliberately put Nigeria in there but our country was found to have skewed birth sex ratios. I understand how this must make you feel ashamed but it's the truth. People are doing it, how else can you explain 106 males to every 100 female

If this discrepancy exists, it is probably as a result of factors not considered in the rush to think the worst. Maybe Nigerian men wear tighter pants, perhaps genetics, perhaps factors peculiar to the environment. We don't even know the true population of Nigeria to a reasonable factor let alone that boys outnumber girls. But, oh-no, Labeling is more important than the cost of research. For example, how long has this discrepancy- if any- existed for? If we're meaning abortions, remember that the ability to determine the sex of an unborn child is a relatively recent development and I doubt that even now the facility to do this exists in Nigeria to the extent that gender ratio can be influenced by selective abortions. I doubt any Nigerian community kills girls as is done in India and several such Nations,which would justify the term Female Infanticide.
Re: Nigeria Is Ranked 9th Among Countries Practicing Female Infanticide by Nobody: 6:28pm On Dec 11, 2016
Litmus:

If this discrepancy exists, it is probably as a result of factors not considered in the rush to think the worst. Maybe Nigerian men wear tighter pants, perhaps genetics, perhaps factors peculiar to the environment. We don't even know the true population of Nigeria to a reasonable factor let alone that boys outnumber girls. But, oh-no, Labeling is more important than the cost of research. For example, how long has this discrepancy- if any- existed for? If we're meaning abortions, remember that the ability to determine the sex of an unborn child is a relatively recent development and I doubt that even now the facility to do this exists in Nigeria to the extent that gender ratio can be influenced by selective abortions. I doubt any Nigerian community kills girls as is done in India and several such Nations,which would justify the term Female Infanticide.

Where do you live, how come you don't know that people are doing scans to check for the genders of their kids and aborting them if they are the wrong gender. Why will Nigeria of all countries be mentioned wrongly on that list? Wake up, it's happening

(1) (Reply)

Hon. Solomon Adaelu Constituency Development Project. Pics / Uche Nnamdi Azikiwe's 70th Birthday (Photo) / "I Nearly Lost My Life Today For Trying To Defend Gov. Wike" - Twitter User

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.