Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,147 members, 7,818,442 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:58 PM

Advantages Of Being A Nigerian - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Advantages Of Being A Nigerian (10256 Views)

5 Advantages Of Kemi Adeosun Over Ngozi Okonjo Iweala. / Final Solution: De-amalgamation And The Advantages Of Breaking Up Nigeria – By L / Advantages Of Nigeria's Population. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Advantages Of Being A Nigerian by illusion2: 8:30pm On Nov 11, 2009
Yes. . . . we all know things aren't going very well for the motherland right now,however,somethings come naturally to us Nigerians ,which we need to acknowledge and appreciate.

I list a few:

1. Fear of God :this is taken for granted by Nigerians ,but something most of the developed world has lost.

2.Respect for Elders/Parents: Nigerians naturally respect people older than them,this is usually strange to many non-nigerians/africans

3.Love of family : We generally get interested in family-siblings,cousins,half-brother etc. . . . most of the world's getting increasingly selfish & its cool we still have this  wink

4. Abhorrence of debt : one thing that has helped many Nigerians especially abroad is our financial discipline/system,many were brought up having to pay cash for everything,so we tend not to live off credit i know we have a number of exceptions  tongue

5.Appreciation of poverty: while not  being necessarily poor,many nigerians know/understand what it means to be poor and work against it & this is usually responsible for what most people see as 'aggressive/ambitious'.

6[b].Celebrating[/b] : who can celebrate more than Nigerians,even in the midst of problems

Do you have anymore? No hating please  smiley
Re: Advantages Of Being A Nigerian by Kobojunkie: 8:42pm On Nov 11, 2009
illusion2:

1. Fear of God :this is taken for granted by Nigerians ,but something most of the developed world has lost.
Fear of what God? I hope you are not referring to the gods the juju worshippers murder people for? Or are you referring to the god of folks like the Hausas who burn down and slaughter as many infidels are they can for? Or are you referring to the god of the evil Pentecostal pastors in the south who torture and scare innocent children?
Re: Advantages Of Being A Nigerian by Fhemmmy: 8:48pm On Nov 11, 2009
I dont think there is any fear of God in them oh.
Fear of God means there wont be stealing, bribery, there wont be envy, lust and all that, and these are orders of the day in Nigeria, so tell me where is the fear of God?
Re: Advantages Of Being A Nigerian by Kobojunkie: 8:48pm On Nov 11, 2009
illusion2:

4. Abhorrence of debt : one thing that has helped many Nigerians especially abroad is our financial discipline/system,many were brought up having to pay cash for everything,so we tend not to live off credit i know we have a number of exceptions tongue

Please tell me the above is a JOKE . Just cause we have don’t have a solid banking system like that obtained in the west does not mean people live DEBT-Free in Nigeria. I mean it was recently revealed that majority of your richest are serious debtors. The ordinary man cannot really obtain loans from banks but does anyway from friends and people in the community.  We have the market women who borrow money and make monthly/weekly payments from their cooperatives, to parents who borrow money to send their kids to private schools etc. Unless one chooses to live in ignorance, one cannot claim credit is not a vital part of our individual economies even in NIgeria.
Re: Advantages Of Being A Nigerian by illusion2: 8:49pm On Nov 11, 2009
Fhemmmy:

I dont think there is any fear of God in them oh.
Fear of God means there wont be stealing, bribery, there wont be envy, lust and all that, and these are orders of the day in Nigeria, so tell me where is the fear of God?
you can read that as belief in God
Re: Advantages Of Being A Nigerian by Fhemmmy: 8:50pm On Nov 11, 2009
illusion2:

3.Love of family : We generally get interested in family-siblings,cousins,half-brother etc. . . . most of the world's getting increasingly selfish & its cool we still have this  wink

Love of family and yet many are using their kids and wife or husband to make juju for money?
Re: Advantages Of Being A Nigerian by Fhemmmy: 8:51pm On Nov 11, 2009
illusion2:

5.Appreciation of poverty: while not being necessarily poor,many nigerians know/understand what it means to be poor and work against it & this is usually responsible for what most people see as 'aggressive/ambitious'.

Appreciates poverty and yet into 419?
Re: Advantages Of Being A Nigerian by illusion2: 8:52pm On Nov 11, 2009
Kobojunkie:

Please tell me the above is a JOKE . Just cause we have don’t have a solid banking system like that obtained in the west does not mean people live DEBT-Free in Nigeria. I mean it was recently revealed that majority of your richest are serious debtors. The ordinary man cannot really obtain loans from banks but does anyway from friends and people in the community.  We have the market women who borrow money and make monthly/weekly payments from their cooperatives, to parents who borrow money to send their kids to private schools etc. Unless one chooses to live in ignorance, one cannot claim credit is not a vital part of our individual economies even in NIgeria.
how many people are we referring to  here? 1000?? out of 150 million? give me a break. I agree lack of credit system definitely contributes to this,hence many peeps are used to 'cash & carry'
Re: Advantages Of Being A Nigerian by illusion2: 8:54pm On Nov 11, 2009
Fhemmmy:

Love of family and yet many are using their kids and wife or husband to make juju for money?
percentage please. . . . . . . . cheesy John Allen Mohammed(Washington sniper) was black,therefore all black gulf war vets are snipers ? undecided
Re: Advantages Of Being A Nigerian by Fhemmmy: 8:55pm On Nov 11, 2009
illusion2:

percentage please. . . . . . . . cheesy John Allen Mohammed(Washington sniper) was black,therefore all black gulf war vets are snipers ? undecided

the poster said, advantages of being a Nigerian, not of some being a Nigerian.
Re: Advantages Of Being A Nigerian by Kobojunkie: 8:55pm On Nov 11, 2009
illusion2:

how many people are we referring to  here? 1000?? out of 150 million? give me a break. I agree lack of credit system definitely contributes to this,hence many peeps are used to 'cash & carry'

Actually, we are talking millions here. You don't for a second think people make millions. There are 10's of thousands of cooperatives across the country to help different groups get money from the banks as a group. Money to be shared and paid off by the members of the groups. If you want an idea of how it works, walk into Banks like UBA and first bank and ask for information on how the banks partner with cooperatives , market women, bricklayers, mechanics, transportation works( okada, bus drivers) etc
Re: Advantages Of Being A Nigerian by illusion2: 9:11pm On Nov 11, 2009
Kobojunkie:

Actually, we are talking millions here. You don't for a second think people make millions. There are 10's of thousands of cooperatives across the country to help different groups get money from the banks as a group. Money to be shared and paid off by the members of the groups. If you want an idea of how it works, walk into Banks like UBA and first bank and ask for information on how the banks partner with cooperatives , market women, bricklayers, mechanics, transportation works( okada, bus drivers) etc
debt Im referring to is lifestyle debt. . . . ,however don't be deceived by the SME reports of banks, last I heard they were disbusing less than 10% of amount set aside. . .
Re: Advantages Of Being A Nigerian by Kobojunkie: 9:14pm On Nov 11, 2009
illusion2:

6[b].Celebrating[/b] : who can celibrate ore than Nigerina,even in the midst of problems

Yes, we also pride ourselves in celebrating the mundane as well as crime.   grin
Re: Advantages Of Being A Nigerian by asha80(m): 9:19pm On Nov 11, 2009
illusion2:

I list a few:

This actually reminds me of an argument i had recently with an elderly woman about the state of the economy of nigeria in relation with the plorifilation of churches and she said and i quote,

"The present economic situation in nigeria is actually good for the citizens of the christian faith in nigeria as it has brought them closer to God as seen by the booming activities of churches in the country unlike in obodo oyibo in which there youths have forgotten God due to technology,innovation and seeming easy way of life".
Re: Advantages Of Being A Nigerian by Nobody: 9:59pm On Nov 11, 2009
These Nigerian bashers must find something to say sha anytime. Nigeria is sweet abeg. All these diasporans de fall my hand ooo. Nigeria is not that good but which country is?

I can't wait till I finish my exams on Dec 18th and I'm back on the plane!!! It's always heaven whenever I go back home (PHC). Barbecue full ewu with Tombo or kai kai and palm wine mixture plus I always stack some Old English and colt 45 in my bag on my way back home,  Get high off the best of weed in the world talk about girls, politics, music, events. Argue, quarrel, play video games (I already got me a UK version PS3 stationed in our house PH), talk about what we going to invest in in future, toss great ideas around like it ain't nothing, stay up till 5am. I'm high off the weed sleep till 3pm knowing you ain't got no bills to pay tomorrow. When I'm home we all sleep in same house either my parent's house or Ogbonda's house or Ogbalu's house. or anyother person's house in woji area. I can go on and on on how we live in Port Harcourt. Hey!. I'm young and I don't want none of you old timers talking kaka about my lifestyle. PH is the best city in the world. Why would I leave New York or Toronto to pay flight ticket to Nigeria and stay in a city I don't enjoy? As soon as I land in Lagos, say hi to Grandpa in Mushin (always wanting me to sleep over) same day, holla at other uncles and aunts in lag (checking if one will borrow me their car which they always say no but I keep trying). I'll grab my cousin and we are on Aghofure's bus the next morning all the way to PH eating gala and coke until we get to that stop in Benin where people eat solid food (yum yum).

Anyone know if the international Air port in PH  for real or it's not international yet?

I'm so lucky to be a Nigerian!!! mess the leaders we don't need them.
Re: Advantages Of Being A Nigerian by Kobojunkie: 10:06pm On Nov 11, 2009
Like I told you on another thread, you need to learn to ENJOY life right where you are.  There are others who do exactly what you feel you need to travel thousands of miles for right there where you are now.

By the way, stating FACTS is not same as BASHING. Look up the meaning of the word to see how to best apply it.
Re: Advantages Of Being A Nigerian by nolongTing: 10:20pm On Nov 11, 2009
1. Nigeria is a collection of many great kingdoms such as Kingdom of Opobo, Oyo Kingdom, Bornu Empire, The Benin Empire or Edo Empire and more!

2. One in four Africans is Nigerian, this means we have a substantial influence over the culture of other Africans.

3. Nigeria is very rich in resources such as Gas, oil, steel, and food!

4. Nigeria dose not suffer from a large or notable amount of Natural disasters

5. Nigeria is the 36th richest country in the whole world – despite the BAD leadership

6. Nigeria is the only Black African country that has Billionaires in Forbes – businessmen amongst the richest in the world and we all know there are more.

7. Nigerians are naturally religious and disciplined and respect is a natural part of society, otherwise there would be a higher crime rate.

8. Nigeria has substantial spare capcity in the economy, what I mean by this is that economically Nigeria has not developed its financial or manufacturing base once
this takes off the possibilities are endless!

9. Nigeria has a huge number of skilled and educated workers abroad with skills and capital that could accelerate Nigerias development – this will happen when an
enabling environment is provided.

10. Nigeria’s diversity means its best placed to develop a model for African Intergration – Africa must unite in the long run.

11. Nigeria's diversity has allowed it to develop a worldclass entertainment industry.
Re: Advantages Of Being A Nigerian by asha80(m): 10:26pm On Nov 11, 2009
nolongTing:

1. Nigeria is a collection of many great kingdoms such as Kingdom of Opobo, Oyo Kingdom, Bornu Empire, The Benin Empire or Edo Empire and more!

2. One in four Africans is Nigerian, this means we have a substantial influence over the culture of other Africans.

4. Nigeria dose not suffer from a large or notable amount of Natural disasters

5. Nigeria is the 36th richest country in the whole world – despite the BAD leadership

6. Nigeria is the only Black African country that has Billionaires in Forbes – businessmen amongst the richest in the world and we all know there are more.

7. Nigerians are naturally religious and disciplined and respect is a natural part of society, otherwise there would be a higher crime rate.

8. Nigeria has substantial spare capcity in the economy, what I mean by this is that economically Nigeria has not developed its financial or manufacturing base once
this takes off the possibilities are endless!

9. Nigeria has a huge number of skilled and educated workers abroad with skills and capital that could accelerate Nigerias development – this will happen when an
enabling environment is provided.

10. Nigeria’s diversity means its best placed to develop a model for African Intergration – Africa must unite in the long run.

11. Nigeria's diversity has allowed it to develop a worldclass entertainment industry.

My friend no dey missappropriate yarns at bolded!
Re: Advantages Of Being A Nigerian by Kobojunkie: 10:30pm On Nov 11, 2009
nolongTing:

The number is closer to 1 out of 7 considering the population of Africa is close to a billion and that of Nigeria is about 140.

nolongTing:

Not sure of the FOOD part considering we import most all the food we consume in the country today. About other resources, the case has been true since before the inception of the country itself.

nolongTing:

Thanks to Oil! grin
Re: Advantages Of Being A Nigerian by redsun(m): 10:39pm On Nov 11, 2009
The best advantages of being a nigeria are having a momentous task of making things right and the opportunity of being a worthy and positive role model for the future generations.

We are th? pioneers of our world,what can be better than that?The old generation has failed woefully.
Re: Advantages Of Being A Nigerian by Nobody: 10:43pm On Nov 11, 2009
Kobojunkie:

Like I told you on another thread, you need to learn to ENJOY life right where you are.  There are others who do exactly what you feel you need to travel thousands of miles for right there where you are now.

By the way, stating FACTS is not same as BASHING. Look up the meaning of the word to see how to best apply it.

ehhhh. See old pop, I
Re: Advantages Of Being A Nigerian by Kobojunkie: 10:52pm On Nov 11, 2009
9jaganja:

ehhhh. See old pop, I

But I am not old . . . and the sports you term old are being enjoyed today by people of all ages. Young minds even play golf these days.
Re: Advantages Of Being A Nigerian by Nobody: 10:54pm On Nov 11, 2009
Kobojunkie:

ehhhh. See old pop, I ain't coming out of my house in December without my tripple goose and timbaland boots on. Now how can I enjoy Christmas without having to wear tripple goose and staying indoor? I thought about it, I ain't going to Hawaii or anywhere in the south. I hate driving in the snow, so no matter what, I'm stuck with tripple goose and timbaland, plus friends complaining they want to get away. Winter could be depressing when you ain't got much money. Next thing you know, I'm playing motherland by sould sultan or Eko nile by Fela. That's a sign I'm grabbing my passport soon and who ever want to join can come cause all my friends who are Afro Americans have Nigerian passports. Don't be giving that you can enjoy same thing there attitude. I can't have no palm wine out here. It's white wine that taste sour like expired milk I get. Plus I'm a village boy so I don't need those italian and french wine shit. I want it fresh from the source in it's natural form. And where is the best place I can have that? 9JA!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Advantages Of Being A Nigerian by Nobody: 10:56pm On Nov 11, 2009
Kobojunkie:

But I am not old . . . and the sports you term old are being enjoyed today by people of all ages. Young minds even play golf these days.

What?? Stop that if you are trying to Bleep with my head. Golf? Out of all the sports out there golf? common now! boring thing. Plus it's expensive too.
Re: Advantages Of Being A Nigerian by nolongTing: 10:58pm On Nov 11, 2009
asha 80:

My friend no dey missappropriate yarns at bolded!

Whats she talking about?
Re: Advantages Of Being A Nigerian by Kobojunkie: 11:03pm On Nov 11, 2009
9jaganja:

What?? Stop that if you are trying to mess with my head. Golf? Out of all the sports out there golf? common now! boring thing. Plus it's expensive too.

What country did you say you were in again?
Re: Advantages Of Being A Nigerian by Fhemmmy: 11:03pm On Nov 11, 2009
9jaganja:

What?? Stop that if you are trying to mess with my head. Golf? Out of all the sports out there golf? common now! boring thing. Plus it's expensive too.

If you ever play golf, you will be sorry for waiting till now to start playing.
It is expensive, however, a great game.
Re: Advantages Of Being A Nigerian by asha80(m): 11:06pm On Nov 11, 2009
nolongTing:

Whats she talking about?

Who is a she
Re: Advantages Of Being A Nigerian by Fhemmmy: 11:08pm On Nov 11, 2009
asha 80:

Who is a she

Lol
Re: Advantages Of Being A Nigerian by Nobody: 11:09pm On Nov 11, 2009
I'm currently in the US. Just moved back recently to complete my studies. I was in Toronto.

Make una stop ooo with the golf thing. What da hell are you guys? Some old rich white guy in Malibu?
Re: Advantages Of Being A Nigerian by Kobojunkie: 11:12pm On Nov 11, 2009
9jaganja:

I'm currently in the US. Just moved back recently to complete my studies. I was in Toronto.

Make una stop ooo with the golf thing. What da hell are you guys? Some old rich white guy in Malibu?

I find it hard to believe that you are in the US, let alone been in Toronto considering even college students are into golf these days. Anyways, here is advice from someone older than you are. If you have to get HIGH to have fun, it is sign that there are deeper issues you are probably not allowing yourself deal with there. Getting high to hang with girls and friends? You sure say something no dey happen for inside you there wey you dey try run from?
Re: Advantages Of Being A Nigerian by Fhemmmy: 11:14pm On Nov 11, 2009
9jaganja:

Even pple in Nigeria are playing golf these days, so what are you on, and what part of Toronto were you residing that you dont like golf, church streets with dem gays?
You even said you are back in the USA where even little kids are having fun of golf games.
Go to ghana and you will be shocked how many biz deals are goiing on golf courses

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Declare Your Asset, Ekiti APC Tells Fayose / Crude Export To Increase By 380,000b/d In Days / Ike Ekweremadu Bags Chieftaincy Title Of Of Enyi Oha 1 Of Okpanku In Enugu(pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.