Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,570 members, 7,820,049 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:03 AM

Gianni Infantino Wants A 48-Team World Cup - Sports (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Gianni Infantino Wants A 48-Team World Cup (17508 Views)

Gianni Infantino re-elected as FIFA president / Russia 2018 ‘Best World Cup Ever’ - Says FIFA President, Gianni Infantino / Africa Gets 9 Slots For Expanded 48-team 2026 World Cup (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Gianni Infantino Wants A 48-Team World Cup by Nobody: 10:21pm On Dec 07, 2016
LastMumu:

Imagine a team like Brazil meeting only teams like Iraq, Togo, Indonesia, Andorra, New Zealand till it reaches the Semi final of the World Cup, the while thing would just be boring. The qualifiers are there for a purpose.
grin grin

In that case, FIFA would also have to reduce its stadium size requirement.
A 45,000 capacity stadium hosting Togo vs North Korea would be barely 5% full, lol.
FIFA would have to mandate, say, a minimum capacity of between 25,000-30,000 for group matches.
Re: Gianni Infantino Wants A 48-Team World Cup by LordCenturion(m): 10:22pm On Dec 07, 2016
CFCman:
Federation of International Football Association president, Gianni Infantino, has officially expressed his preference for an expanded men's FIFA World Cup.

He is arguing to increase the number of participating teams at the final tournament to 48, from the present 32. Under his proposal, there would be 16 groups of 3 teams, with only one team per group advancing to the round of 16.

http://www.foxsports.com/soccer/story/world-cup-expansion-48-teams-fifa-president-gianni-infantino-120716

Op, ur information is incorrect, I wonder the kind of mod that push this to front page, Seun , Lalasticlala take note, FIFA president said "there would be 16 groups of 3 teams, with top two teams per group advancing to the round of 16....

This is wat he actually said :

FIFA President Gianni Infantino announced plans for a 48-team World Cup, split into groups of three sides each.

It is not the first time Infantino has suggested expanding the tournament, but previously it was expected to include 40 nations rather than 48.
The idea of playing groups containing only three teams compared to the traditional four is also a new concept.
Currently the World Cup has 32 teams, but Infantino wants 16 groups of three squads, the top two of each group going into the knockout matches.
There will be a decision on this suggested format on January 9.
Even if it does get the go-ahead, it is unlikely to be implemented before the 2026 World Cup.
The last time the World Cup was expanded was in 1998, when it increased from 24 to 32 countries.

From reliable source
http://app.football-italia.net/index.htm#article/footballitalia-95380&menu=news-all

according to what I heard, there will be elimination round(32), first round (16),quarter finals ( cool and so on....

32 will qualify from the groups,where first wil play second place, both it will be go by wat u said, there is be no second and first places will just play each other which isn't wise...

1 Like

Re: Gianni Infantino Wants A 48-Team World Cup by davidif: 10:23pm On Dec 07, 2016
RUBBISH!!! ABSOLUTE RUBBISH! Its just a way to pander to the small nations for votes.

1 Like

Re: Gianni Infantino Wants A 48-Team World Cup by seyoops4u: 10:27pm On Dec 07, 2016
Also Read:

A Wife Burns Her Husband And Sister For Having Sex (Graphic Pictures)

http://cliqtips..com/2016/12/a-wife-burns-her-husband-and-sister-for.html?spref=tw
Re: Gianni Infantino Wants A 48-Team World Cup by Nobody: 10:31pm On Dec 07, 2016
CFCman:

grin grin

In that case, FIFA would also have to reduce its stadium size requirement.
A 45,000 capacity stadium hosting Togo vs North Korea would be barely 5% full, lol.
FIFA would have to mandate, say, a minimum capacity of between 25,000-30,000 for group matches.

Is 45,000 currently the minimum stadium capacity allowed by FIFA for the World Cup?

Re: Gianni Infantino Wants A 48-Team World Cup by omonnakoda: 10:41pm On Dec 07, 2016
The truth is Europe has too many teams let him deal with that and stop trying to deceive people
Re: Gianni Infantino Wants A 48-Team World Cup by Nobody: 10:41pm On Dec 07, 2016
LordCenturion:

Op, ur information is incorrect, I wonder the kind of mod that push this to front page, Seun , Lalasticlala take note, FIFA president said "there would be 16 groups of 3 teams, with top two teams per group advancing to the round of 16....

This is wat he actually said :

FIFA President Gianni Infantino announced plans for a 48-team World Cup, split into groups of three sides each.

It is not the first time Infantino has suggested expanding the tournament, but previously it was expected to include 40 nations rather than 48.
The idea of playing groups containing only three teams compared to the traditional four is also a new concept.
Currently the World Cup has 32 teams, but Infantino wants 16 groups of three squads, the top two of each group going into the knockout matches.
There will be a decision on this suggested format on January 9.
Even if it does get the go-ahead, it is unlikely to be implemented before the 2026 World Cup.
The last time the World Cup was expanded was in 1998, when it increased from 24 to 32 countries.

From reliable source
http://app.football-italia.net/index.htm#article/footballitalia-95380&menu=news-all

From your source, if 2 teams advance from each group (across 16 groups), that equals 32 teams, not 16.

1 Like

Re: Gianni Infantino Wants A 48-Team World Cup by Nobody: 10:41pm On Dec 07, 2016
LastMumu:

Is 45,000 currently the minimum stadium capacity allowed by FIFA for the World Cup?

The actual minimum capacity is 40,000 for group games.
Re: Gianni Infantino Wants A 48-Team World Cup by LorDBolton(m): 10:58pm On Dec 07, 2016
Sorry but what's Haiti n oceania gonna do at the world cup? It's bad enough we have to watch them at confed cups.

What will asian nations go and do there? We know say korea-japan na fluke

What will african teams go and do there? Maybe one or two will 'surprise' us once in 16 years.

Just say u wanna expand to bring in more European nd south American teams.

1 Like

Re: Gianni Infantino Wants A 48-Team World Cup by EMIOMOADEOYE: 11:00pm On Dec 07, 2016
Aaaaaaaahhhhhhhh!!!!

Baba.......that one go bloody oooooo!!!

Only one team per group.........

Mmmmmmmm...........................I like
Re: Gianni Infantino Wants A 48-Team World Cup by collinometricx: 11:03pm On Dec 07, 2016
Just sayinq:
Must I be banned frm #NAIRALAND every time I post or comment/voice out mha mind
.Lemme kip quiet b4 those antispam aqency qo ban mhi aqain...
Re: Gianni Infantino Wants A 48-Team World Cup by Nobody: 11:08pm On Dec 07, 2016
LorDBolton:
Sorry but what's Haiti n oceania gonna do at the world cup? It's bad enough we have to watch them at confed cups.

What will asian nations go and do there? We know say korea-japan na fluke

What will african teams go and do there? Maybe one or two will 'surprise' us once in 16 years.

Just say u wanna expand to bring in more European nd south American teams.

Exactly. I think FIFA would allocate the additional 16 places as follows: UEFA 7, CONMEBOL 5, Africa 2, Asia 2. It's a ploy to both appease Europe and South America, and the Asian and African nations.

To me, FIFA should first go with an expansion to 40 teams. There should be 10 groups of 4 teams, with the top 3 in each group and the 'best' 2 bottom teams advancing to the Round of 32.
Re: Gianni Infantino Wants A 48-Team World Cup by BusinessBoss: 11:14pm On Dec 07, 2016
are you serious ?
Re: Gianni Infantino Wants A 48-Team World Cup by LorDBolton(m): 11:14pm On Dec 07, 2016
CFCman:

Exactly. I think FIFA would allocate the additional 16 places as follows: UEFA 7, CONMEBOL 5, Africa 2, Asia 2. It's a ploy to both appease Europe and South America, and the Asian and African nations.

It just makes it cumbersome(imo)

For example using ur projections conmebol wouldn't need to hold qualifiers again since presently have 4 spots with 1 a playoff against oceania / asian nations so and additional 5 means automatic qualification for all 10 nations in conmebol

Infact i'd like to see how such crap this infantino is proposing scales thru.

2 Likes

Re: Gianni Infantino Wants A 48-Team World Cup by Nobody: 11:20pm On Dec 07, 2016
LorDBolton:

It just makes it cumbersome(imo)

For example using ur projections conmebol wouldn't need to hold qualifiers again since presently have 4 spots with 1 a playoff against oceania / asian nations so and additional 5 means automatic qualification for all 10 nations in conmebol

Infact i'd like to see how such crap this infantino is proposing scales thru.

Well, it would be ridiculous if South American teams are given automatic WC qualification. So, maybe it would be just 2 additional places for them. Then Asia would have one more guaranteed spot.
Re: Gianni Infantino Wants A 48-Team World Cup by Iamthoney(m): 11:21pm On Dec 07, 2016
Moreoffaith:
Biafra will be like Infantino wants Biafra participate in the next world word cup so he increase the number participating country to 48 grin grin grin
I can categorically tell you that your opolo(brain) don expire...Afonja oshi
Re: Gianni Infantino Wants A 48-Team World Cup by Stanleywaxy(m): 11:32pm On Dec 07, 2016
don't buy this idea one bit , let's leave this competition as it is
Re: Gianni Infantino Wants A 48-Team World Cup by sescoline(m): 11:35pm On Dec 07, 2016
SESCOLINE AS KILLED THE BEAT AGAIN, THIS GUY AS BEEN AMAZING SINCE HIS ARRIVAL IN MUSIC INDUSTRY..WITH BACK TO BACT HIT, AND NOW HE DECIDED TO DROP ANOTHER GBEDU TO MAKE YOU WAGE YOUR UKWU, THIS ONE IS TITLED #GBENU SI#
PLEASE DOWNLOAD,ENJOY AND MAKE SURE YOU SHARE WITH YOUR BUDDIES.......

[MUSIC] Sescoline – Gbenusi (prod
by teezybeat)
http://usherloaded.com.ng/music-sescoline-gbenusi/

Bless you
Re: Gianni Infantino Wants A 48-Team World Cup by panpan(m): 11:43pm On Dec 07, 2016
CFCman:
Under his proposal, there would be 16 groups of 3 teams ...

This means that several teams would travel to the world cup host country to play just two matches. I don't think this is a very good idea.
Re: Gianni Infantino Wants A 48-Team World Cup by DavSagacity(m): 11:48pm On Dec 07, 2016
LastMumu:

8 African teams at the world cup? Rubbish! The 5 that have been representing us all these years what have they achieved?

Increasing the teams to 48 would further rubbish the competition, dem for kukuma turn am to league na.
Bro sorry . Though Nairaland is not the appropriate place to express your frustrations and disappointment as regards African teams in the world cup over the years. Howbeit, Increasing the number will at least provide the opportunity for new African teams to participate in the competition for the first time. The inability of African teams to perform at the world cup is not the fault of FIFA . so carry your pains elsewhere . Doh...i can imagine your pains.
Re: Gianni Infantino Wants A 48-Team World Cup by peton28v: 11:51pm On Dec 07, 2016
Don’t express your feelings to me with words if you could use lucky bonuses!! Send lucky bonuses to me with your love in MBlog!!
http://mblog.ng/logBUL?mn=225907&op=rec">http://mblog.ng/logBUL?mn=225907&op=rec
Re: Gianni Infantino Wants A 48-Team World Cup by Nobody: 12:07am On Dec 08, 2016
panpan:

This means that several teams would travel to the world cup host country to play just two matches. I don't think this is a very good idea.
Chop knuckle.
Each team should be guaranteed a minimum of 3 matches
Re: Gianni Infantino Wants A 48-Team World Cup by micfoley: 12:24am On Dec 08, 2016
This guy just wants to mess up this tournament. Crazy thing is, he actually campaigned with this idea. And peeps voted for him. I strongly prefer the current 32 team format

1 Like

Re: Gianni Infantino Wants A 48-Team World Cup by Mesutlewy(m): 2:02am On Dec 08, 2016
that's a very nice move.....20 from European countries,10 from South American countries and the rest frm other continent

Europeans and south Americans are the heart of world cup so we need more countries from them
Re: Gianni Infantino Wants A 48-Team World Cup by man80(m): 4:51am On Dec 08, 2016
United Nigeria would stand. It is Nigeria at the world cup.
Re: Gianni Infantino Wants A 48-Team World Cup by obydream: 5:47am On Dec 08, 2016
better ideal
Re: Gianni Infantino Wants A 48-Team World Cup by teemy(m): 7:25am On Dec 08, 2016
one advantage of 3 teams at the group stage is that only two matches would be played and thus reduce player fatigue such as the one that leads to loss of life. the recent death could have influenced it. furthermore, more countries would get exposure.
Re: Gianni Infantino Wants A 48-Team World Cup by Moreoffaith(m): 8:09am On Dec 08, 2016
[quote author=Iamthoney post=51729116]I can categorically tell you that your opolo(brain) don expire...Afonja oshi
[/quote

E pain am grin grin
Re: Gianni Infantino Wants A 48-Team World Cup by Iamthoney(m): 8:23am On Dec 08, 2016
[quote author=Moreoffaith post=51734137][/quote]An Afonja like you can never cause me pain...clumsy oaf
Re: Gianni Infantino Wants A 48-Team World Cup by MWAD(m): 9:14am On Dec 08, 2016
Set A-48 panel to settle the feud between the NFA and Super Falcons.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nigerian Army Wins National Kick Boxing Championship (photos) / Man Utd Has Won The Premiership (2006/2007 Season) / AFCON 2019: Super Eagles Arrive Alexandria Ahead Of Burundi Opener

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.