Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,745 members, 7,809,842 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:52 PM

Gianni Infantino Wants A 48-Team World Cup - Sports (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Gianni Infantino Wants A 48-Team World Cup (17488 Views)

Gianni Infantino re-elected as FIFA president / Russia 2018 ‘Best World Cup Ever’ - Says FIFA President, Gianni Infantino / Africa Gets 9 Slots For Expanded 48-team 2026 World Cup (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Gianni Infantino Wants A 48-Team World Cup by SOMLEX(m): 9:54am On Dec 08, 2016
Nickizoe:
Not bad at all... That means Nigeria will never make it at group stage.... Chai! Good news is that more Africa teams will be involved!
lol. Nigerian will be doomed 4 life
Re: Gianni Infantino Wants A 48-Team World Cup by Bustincole(m): 10:05am On Dec 08, 2016
CFCman:
Federation of International Football Association president, Gianni Infantino, has officially expressed his preference for an expanded men's FIFA World Cup.

He is arguing to increase the number of participating teams at the final tournament to 48, from the present 32. Under his proposal, there would be 16 groups of 3 teams, with only one team per group advancing to the round of 16.

http://www.foxsports.com/soccer/story/world-cup-expansion-48-teams-fifa-president-gianni-infantino-120716

If it is 48 team, we can only have 12 groups (A-L), 2 will qualify automaticallly, while 8 best loser will join.

I've been playin dis type of tournament in PlayStation, now is comin to reality, only the best team wins

We can now have 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th and 6th nice one FiFa....this is how round of 32 will look like

Re: Gianni Infantino Wants A 48-Team World Cup by LordCenturion(m): 10:48am On Dec 08, 2016
CFCman:

From your source, if 2 teams advance from each group (across 16 groups), that equals 32 teams, not 16.

Yes according to what I heard, there will be elimination round(32), first round (16),quarter finals ( 8 ) and so on....

32 will qualify from the groups,where first wil play second place, both it will be go by wat u said, there is be no second and first places will just play each other which isn't wise...
Re: Gianni Infantino Wants A 48-Team World Cup by LordCenturion(m): 10:56am On Dec 08, 2016
LorDBolton:

It just makes it cumbersome(imo)

For example using ur projections conmebol wouldn't need to hold qualifiers again since presently have 4 spots with 1 a playoff against oceania / asian nations so and additional 5 means automatic qualification for all 10 nations in conmebol

Infact i'd like to see how such crap this infantino is proposing scales thru.

Guy, CONMEBOL can never get 5, because they have already got 5 out of ten, the maximum they can get is 2 while Africa will increase from 5 to 8
Re: Gianni Infantino Wants A 48-Team World Cup by LorDBolton(m): 11:27am On Dec 08, 2016
LordCenturion:

Guy, CONMEBOL can never get 5, because they have already got 5 out of ten, the maximum they can get is 2 while Africa will increase from 5 to 8

Now let's say you're right and conmebol AGREE to just 2 additional slots, what's still the use of qualifiers? When 7 out of 10 will qualify? While the 8th will go for playoff,
It defeats the essence of competition, since by middle of the qualifiers 2 or 3 teams have automatically qualified

Going further match-fixing will become rife since 'comfortable' teams will not necessarily play to win

Going to concacaf it's worse, there are soo many weak teams that USA, Costa Rica, Honduras and Mexico automatically qualify for the final phase, while others battle at stage 1 n 2.

Afc uses a format like EFL cup cos whilst many countries dey there few can see a draw against cape verde.

So why pack WEAK teams to world cup?

1 Like

Re: Gianni Infantino Wants A 48-Team World Cup by Nobody: 11:57am On Dec 08, 2016
CFCman:
Instead of 16 groups, I will prefer 12 groups of 4 teams.

The top 2 in each group and the eight best third-placed teams across the groups should advance to the Round of 32.

The round of 32 will then be a knockout round, till we get to the final.

Alternatively, it should be expanded to a 40-team tournament, with 10 groups of 4 teams. The top 3 in each group, and the two best bottom teams advancing to the knockout Round of 32.
Why don't we kuku make it 196 teams in 49 groups so we know the whole world is represented. smh
Re: Gianni Infantino Wants A 48-Team World Cup by daveP(m): 6:46pm On Dec 08, 2016
even with the current format, I will still Co ti up to be an advocate for an increment for teams other that Europe's. What the he'll are they still doing with 13 teams for heaven's sake?

let it be reduced to 7 and we will see their true color; overhyped continent.

Meanwhile, irrespective of format, I would like it to be every two two years. yeah I know cash is an issue,but we all know their are some countries that are queuing up to spend cash for this tourney.

Abeg make Fifa wake wakey.

Logistics can be contained. The world Cup is getting boring cos nothing new again, esp when before the group A game, Africans have already given up on their reps' chances of qualifying from the group stages.
Re: Gianni Infantino Wants A 48-Team World Cup by Rossikki: 7:20pm On Dec 08, 2016
LastMumu:

8 African teams at the world cup? Rubbish! The 5 that have been representing us all these years what have they achieved?

Increasing the teams to 48 would further rubbish the competition, dem for kukuma turn am to league na.
My God, you are stupid. Europe sends 16 teams while Africa sends 5 meaning Europe always has a greater chance of winning. And you can't see how that works against you? Talk about self hatred and inferiority complex. Tufiakwa. Africans are their own worst enemies. Worthless.
Re: Gianni Infantino Wants A 48-Team World Cup by Nobody: 7:52pm On Dec 08, 2016
Rossikki:
My God, you are stupid. Europe sends 16 teams while Africa sends 5 meaning Europe always has a greater chance of winning. And you can't see how that works against you? Talk about self hatred and inferiority complex. Tufiakwa. Africans are their own worst enemies. Worthless.

Oh please shut up and reason before you talk. Europe has 13 not 16 slots, and that is because European teams have been representing their continent well in the competition. If South America with just 4 slots can be getting good results year in year out, why should Africa with their abysmal performance get 8?
An African team should first make the World Cup final before FIFA should start taking the continent seriously. angry
Re: Gianni Infantino Wants A 48-Team World Cup by Rossikki: 4:02pm On Dec 10, 2016
LastMumu:

Oh please shut up and reason before you talk. Europe has 13 not 16 slots, and that is because European teams have been representing their continent well in the competition. If South America with just 4 slots can be getting good results year in year out, why should Africa with their abysmal performance get 8?
An African team should first make the World Cup final before FIFA should start taking the continent seriously. angry
Ignorant peabrain. It is a question of mathematical representation. South America and Europe's slots are representative of the number of countries on both continents. If South America has about 15 countries then 4 or 5 teams from there is adequate representation. Africa has 55 countries, so 5 teams from the continent is not adequate or fair representation. Use your brain. It's not there for decoration.
Re: Gianni Infantino Wants A 48-Team World Cup by Nobody: 5:51pm On Dec 10, 2016
Rossikki:
Ignorant peabrain. It is a question of mathematical representation. South America and Europe's slots are representative of the number of countries on both continents. If South America has about 15 countries then 4 or 5 teams from there is adequate representation. Africa has 55 countries, so 5 teams from the continent is not adequate or fair representation. Use your brain. It's not there for decoration.

It is not about the number of slots but what you managed to achieve with ones given to you. South America have lesser slots than Africa yet they make the semifinals or finals every world cup, Africa since inception have only managed to make the quarters twice. Heck, even North America with lesser slots are also outperforming us, so why the _fuck should FIFA increase our slots? To further weaken the competition. pffffftt!
Re: Gianni Infantino Wants A 48-Team World Cup by Nickizoe(f): 6:32pm On Dec 11, 2016
Okay ..I hope
Re: Gianni Infantino Wants A 48-Team World Cup by Nobody: 1:26am On Dec 14, 2016
Okay.
I've done some calculations and I've arrived at the following slot allocation that seems fair to me:

Host nation - 1
UEFA - 17
CONMEBOL - 5
CONCACAF - 4
CAF - 7
AFC - 5
Oceania - 1

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Virgil Van Dijk Wins PFA Player Of The Year / Marcus Rashford: Police Begins Investigation After Star Was Racially Abused / Super Eagles Finally Arrive In Brazil

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.