Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,344 members, 7,811,993 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 05:28 AM

’I Am Gay’- First Footballer Ever Comes Out - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / ’I Am Gay’- First Footballer Ever Comes Out (1288 Views)

Paul Akpan Udoh Contracts Coronavirus - First Footballer To Be Infected / Alex Iwobi Becomes Most Expensive Nigerian Footballer Ever / Rio Ferdinand: Okocha, Best African Footballer Ever (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

’I Am Gay’- First Footballer Ever Comes Out by Nobody: 8:47pm On Dec 07, 2016

Football unlike other sports has over the years stayed away from LGBT issues for reasons nobody really understands. Soccer players and Coaches avoid commenting on the matter and fans have no idea whether there are any footballers out there struggling with their unique sexual orientation.

In history, only two footballers have come out as gay and now we have a third one. Swedish defender born in Liverpool Glenn Anton Hysén has decided to join former Aston Villa star Thomas Hitzlsperger and Justin Fashanu. The Villa player came clean after retirement but Hysen is the very first active footballer to do so.

“I’m so proud of what I’ve done and everything has been so much better after I decided to come out,’’ Hysen said.

“If no one has done it, how do you know England isn’t ready for it?” he said, in an accent more Scouse than Swedish.

Glenn Anton Hysén

“If no one does it, you can’t ­speculate. Just because you see all the ­negative comments, you don’t know what’s going to happen.

The stocky defender is now asking players in English Premier League to come out and talk about their position on the topic and their also sexual orientation without fear.

“It’s insulting to supporters in England to suggest that they’re not ready to support a gay footballer. The players who are there to play football will support whoever it is that steps forward. When I came out, I was excited. I was like, ‘Yes, now I’m going to see who’s real and who’s not real’.

Thomas Hitzlsperger(former Aston villa player)

“I couldn’t give a s*** about the people who thought less of me.

“I maybe got one or two bits of abuse from supporters or players I was up against.

“To be honest, any abuse I did get said far more about the people that said it than me. It just illustrated how uneducated they were to have such bigoted views.”

Hysen however believes things are better today as compared to the 70s and 80s and he therefore sees a bright future for the LGBT (Lesbian, Gay, Bi-sexual and Transgender) community.

“But things are looking better and the environment is right for a ­footballer to come out.

“Yes, you need support around you. But the player, or players – because I know there’s more than one in the Premier League – need to be strong.

“If a Premier League player did come out, it would be huge for ­football – not just in England, but across the world.” Hysen concluded.

Glenn Anton Hysén currently plays for in Swedish Football Division 2 for Torslanda IK.

http://sokkaa.com/breaking-news-i-gay-first-footballer-ever-comes/
Re: ’I Am Gay’- First Footballer Ever Comes Out by feodan: 8:53pm On Dec 07, 2016
Thank s 4 not hidden ur sin
Re: ’I Am Gay’- First Footballer Ever Comes Out by Nickizoe(f): 9:07pm On Dec 07, 2016
And now you can repent of it...Salvation is calling!
Re: ’I Am Gay’- First Footballer Ever Comes Out by Neozy(m): 9:32pm On Dec 07, 2016
The End Is Near! Repent!
Re: ’I Am Gay’- First Footballer Ever Comes Out by thesicilian: 9:34pm On Dec 07, 2016
Why can't people just live their private lives privately? There's no law that requires you must reveal your sexual orientation to the whole world so why not keep it to yourself?

1 Like

Re: ’I Am Gay’- First Footballer Ever Comes Out by kollintin(m): 9:46pm On Dec 07, 2016
dis dude is funny out of all the fine ladies in his country and beyond.its his fellow man he want to f...k.blood of jesus.some men and mumulity.nt sparing the cucumber crew though
Re: ’I Am Gay’- First Footballer Ever Comes Out by Nobody: 10:25pm On Dec 07, 2016
kollintin:
dis dude is funny out of all the fine ladies in his country and beyond.its his fellow man he want to f...k.blood of jesus.some men and mumulity.nt sparing the cucumber crew though

cheesy grin
Re: ’I Am Gay’- First Footballer Ever Comes Out by kollintin(m): 10:30pm On Dec 07, 2016
Chrismario:

cheesy grin
baba na true na
Re: ’I Am Gay’- First Footballer Ever Comes Out by Nobody: 2:16am On Dec 08, 2016
Stale news of 2011 undecided

(1) (Reply)

Man United Fans Attack Banky W Over Pogba-kante Tweet / Cassinos Game Strategies / Mayweather Vs McGregor : Mayweather Flaunts Cheque

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.