Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,403 members, 7,812,185 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 09:43 AM

Chei! See My Brother For Sudan :lol: - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Chei! See My Brother For Sudan :lol: (747 Views)

Chei, Dubai Is Beautiful! Here Are 38 Things U Will See Only In Dubai! See Pics / Now Trending , Amaechi Sold His Brother For Ordinary Ministerial Position / EFCC Action - Immunity Finish, Na Im Gbenga Daniel RUN! Chei! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Chei! See My Brother For Sudan :lol: by mekusxxx: 5:54am On Nov 12, 2009
Worgu sentenced to flogging in Sudan

By James Copnall
BBC Sport, Sudan

Worgu could face 40 lashes after being convicted of drink-driving
Nigerian star Stephen Worgu, who plays in Sudan, has been convicted of drinking alcohol and has been sentenced to be flogged.

Worgu plays for the Sudanese giants Al Merreikh, who are based in Omdurman in Northern Sudan.

Alcohol is illegal in the Muslim North, though not in the semi-autonomous and largely non-Muslim South.

The punishment on the diminutive attacking player has not yet been carried out, as his lawyer has appealed.

If the appeal is turned down, Worgu will receive 40 lashes and have to pay a fine of 250 Sudanese pounds, about US$100.

Fifty pounds was for drinking alcohol, and 200 pounds for driving while drunk.

The offence apparently took place in August of this year.

Worgu was bought by Al Merreikh for US$2.6m from Enyimba in Nigeria, in one of the biggest transfers in African history.

He had been the top scorer in the 2008 African Champions League, with 13 goals.

However Worgu's form on the pitch since his move has been something of a disappointment.

He was often left on the bench in key African Champions League game this season.

Earlier this year Worgu admitted to the BBC he was struggling to adapt to life in Sudan.

"I am finding it hard to adapt. It's a different culture, different religion different language, everything," he said.

"They have this Sharia law, and it's really affecting me also, because you don't feel free to do the things you need to do."

Despite Worgu's struggles, he still hopes to get a move to Europe.

A source close to Al Merreikh told the BBC he believed several foreign clubs were following Worgu closely.

It is not yet clear if this conviction could delay or even stop a potential move out of Africa for the Nigerian.
Re: Chei! See My Brother For Sudan :lol: by MUNEER2(m): 7:31am On Nov 12, 2009
You should always give regards to the believe of where you reside, no matter what your believes were before you get there.
That place aint no Nigeria, and he must have signed all the necessary documents before being allowed to play there. So for that, it is binding on him the law that binds every other citizenry of that place (being it sharia or not).
Let him learn his lessons now before something worse happens to him lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Chei! See My Brother For Sudan :lol: by Nobody: 7:38am On Nov 12, 2009
I dont have a problem with his drinking but he should be punished for drunk driving
Re: Chei! See My Brother For Sudan :lol: by sexyLeamon(f): 7:39am On Nov 12, 2009
to be flog because of drink driving shocked are those people still in the 20s shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Chei! See My Brother For Sudan :lol: by Nobody: 7:51am On Nov 12, 2009
sexyLeamon:

to be flog because of drink driving shocked are those people still in the 20s shocked shocked shocked shocked
Well thats their laws and since he is there he should respect it. I wish Nigerian Drivers would be flogeed for drunk driving to clear ogogoro from their eyes, you cant imagine the amount of drunk drivers we have. Every sunday morning in AABuja, you must see about 5 bad accidents on your way to church, from the look of things its mostly drunk drivers
Re: Chei! See My Brother For Sudan :lol: by bibiking1(m): 8:16am On Nov 12, 2009
sexyLeamon:

Before he started drinking i am sure he was aware that if he going to drive and caught he would be flogged!
So he sort of made his decision
Re: Chei! See My Brother For Sudan :lol: by sexyLeamon(f): 8:33am On Nov 12, 2009
aisha2:

Well thats their laws and since he is there he should respect it. I wish Nigerian Drivers would be flogeed for drunk driving to clear ogogoro from their eyes, you cant imagine the amount of drunk drivers we have. Every sunday morning in AABuja, you must see about 5 bad accidents on your way to church, from the look of things its mostly drunk drivers
lol I agree some people only learn the hard way.
Re: Chei! See My Brother For Sudan :lol: by SeanT21(f): 8:38am On Nov 12, 2009
Sudan is a Muslim nation where Sharia Law is applied. If you are gonna live there then follow the rules or face the harsh penalties.
Re: Chei! See My Brother For Sudan :lol: by dinggle: 12:46pm On Nov 12, 2009
He shouldnt pretend like he didnt know what to expect, why would he break the laws in sudan?? but he should also be considered a foreigner and give an option of a hefty fine instead of lashes. I am sure d sudan economy can make do with a $1,000 or $2,000 dollar fine.
Re: Chei! See My Brother For Sudan :lol: by olafolarin(m): 1:09pm On Nov 12, 2009
sexyLeamon:

Drunk driving is a serious offence even in advanced world.A culprit could serve up to 1 year in prison for the offence in Germany.Its the root of most accidents especially on weekend mornings(after nights out at clubs).the jail term can be accompanied with high fine,compulsory "dry-out" seminars/training,continuous and sporadic urine test,and a driving ban for a lenghty period.

So 40 lashes is still very very very fair.
Re: Chei! See My Brother For Sudan :lol: by chosen04(f): 4:37pm On Nov 12, 2009
40 LASHES OF CAIN?. I just pray he is able to "chest" the lashes and not cry.
Re: Chei! See My Brother For Sudan :lol: by bawomolo(m): 4:39pm On Nov 12, 2009
sexyLeamon:

lol I agree some people only learn the hard way.

I guess revoking or suspending his license isn't learning the "hard" way. African can sure be barbaric at times.
Re: Chei! See My Brother For Sudan :lol: by Nobody: 5:22pm On Nov 12, 2009
abegi

give it to em singapore style angry angry angry

my guy's old man was hospitalized yaers back when a fking drunk driver prick hit him. nasty operation went wrong so he had to have another. naija being naija - the fucking driver went scot free

we'd all have forgotten about ibinabo if they'd fired her some 40 lashes
Re: Chei! See My Brother For Sudan :lol: by Nobody: 5:52pm On Nov 12, 2009
I always say it some of these nigerians in diaspora only know how to rubbish the country's image,,,omuti alakori
Re: Chei! See My Brother For Sudan :lol: by snowdrops(m): 6:23pm On Nov 12, 2009
However according to a BBC report today Worgu denied ever drinking. More info on their website.
Besides Sudan remains a radical country. They have an international arrest warrant for their president.

(1) (Reply)

House Seeks Resumption Of Oil Exploration In North, S’east - News / Seun Am Banking On Ur Support! Nigerians Help Pls / If MMA (Ikeja) Is This Porous, How Much More NAA (Abuja) And MAKA (Kano)?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.