Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,284 members, 7,829,643 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 10:00 AM

Ashamed Of Skin Color - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Ashamed Of Skin Color (1344 Views)

What Happens When You Are Ashamed Of Who You Are! / Why Are Adult Christians Ashamed To Speak About Sexuality In Public Places?Photo / I Am So Ashamed Of My Life Please Help Me (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ashamed Of Skin Color by Nobody: 12:21am On Dec 08, 2016
Hi,
I've noticed from several posts in other rooms that "bleaching" has become an epidemic in Nigeria. I knew that it was a problem in the black Caribbean islands, but I am saddened to know it's in Africa. Is that because of the influence of Western culture? As an African-American having grown up with the skin color issue having prominence within the Black community, I was hoping that dark skin was celebrated on the African continent. Why do black people hate their skin so much?
Re: Ashamed Of Skin Color by Nobody: 1:09am On Dec 08, 2016
MsLady39:
Hi,
I've noticed from several posts in other rooms that "bleaching" has become an epidemic in Nigeria. I knew that it was a problem in the black Caribbean islands, but I am saddened to know it's in Africa. Is that because of the influence of Western culture? As an African-American having grown up with the skin color issue having prominence within the Black community, I was hoping that dark skin was celebrated on the African continent. Why do black people hate their skin so much?

White supremacy and colonialism has touched every black and brown person in the world.

1 Like

Re: Ashamed Of Skin Color by Nobody: 12:32am On Dec 09, 2016
FortuneTeller:

White supremacy and colonialism has touched every black and brown person in the world.

Interesting...even on an a continent where perhaps 90% is black (excluding the Northern African countries). The remnants of colonialism still linger...Oh how I wish black people would see their distinct & unique natural beauty!
Re: Ashamed Of Skin Color by Nobody: 3:41pm On Dec 09, 2016
they have low-level self-esteem, suffering from self-esteem.
Re: Ashamed Of Skin Color by Godstraight(m): 11:51am On Dec 11, 2016
MsLady39:
Hi,
I've noticed from several posts in other rooms that "bleaching" has become an epidemic in Nigeria. I knew that it was a problem in the black Caribbean islands, but I am saddened to know it's in Africa. Is that because of the influence of Western culture? As an African-American having grown up with the skin color issue having prominence within the Black community, I was hoping that dark skin was celebrseriously ated on the African continent. Why do black people hate their skin so much?
seriously I think you are generalizing,where I grew up we had light skin and darkskin people,but generically we where are black,some of my friends were born with light skin they didn't bleach, it either the cream that they are using or the generic heritage
Re: Ashamed Of Skin Color by Nobody: 2:52pm On Dec 11, 2016
Godgay:
seriously I think you are generalizing,where I grew up we had light skin and darkskin people,but generically we where are black,some of my friends were born with light skin they didn't bleach, it either the cream that they are using or the generic heritage

Hi,
I'm a little confused as to where I was generalizing? I think you've misunderstood my point. I'm aware that several Nigerians have been and are born with lighter skin than some of their counterparts. I have it on my Nigerian side (my dad's Igbo) of the family as well as on
my black American side of the family. In fact, one of my sisters is considered light-skin, I'm a
shade darker than her and my brother is dark-skinned. Sometimes people ask if we're from
the same two parents! I was just pointing out the issue of colorism that exists on your continent (and other continents as well) & how I wish it wasn't. Not everyone that's light-skinned uses cream, however a growing number of women (men?) are..that's all I was trying to say. No offense meant..just trying to learn more.
Re: Ashamed Of Skin Color by Godstraight(m): 3:01pm On Dec 11, 2016
MsLady39:

Hi,
I'm a little confused as to where I was generalizing? I think you've misunderstood my point. I'm aware that several Nigerians have been and are born with lighter skin than some of their counterparts. I have it on my Nigerian side (my dad's Igbo) of the family as well as on
my black American side of the family. In fact, one of my sisters is considered light-skin, I'm a
shade darker than her and my brother is dark-skinned. Sometimes people ask if we're from
the same two parents! I was just pointing out the issue of colorism that exists on your continent (and other continents as well) & how I wish it wasn't. Not everyone that's light-skinned uses cream, however a growing number of women (men?) are..that's all I was trying to say. No offense meant..just trying to learn more.
I wasn't offended,I thought you were saying that every light skin Nigerian bleached, I wanted to correct the notion,many Nigerians bleached without knowing, this is because we use a lot of foreign cream without knowing
Re: Ashamed Of Skin Color by Nobody: 10:03pm On Dec 12, 2016
MsLady39:

Hi,

Most Nigerian women are bleaching, but you can't say anything lest they take offense. Even if you see them bleaching in action, they will lie and say they are naturally light skin. Recently one of my inlaws asked me if he thought his wife bleached, then began to say he knew she didn't because he met her that way. I did not want to disappoint him, so I said I never thought about the issue. His wife has all sorts of spots on her face from bleaching and begged for my 70+ sunscreen. You must learn not to believe anything a Nigerian person says. They will lie for the sake of lying.
Re: Ashamed Of Skin Color by Nobody: 10:13pm On Dec 12, 2016
Yes, I figured that. It's a problem amongst many black countries/islands unfortunately.

FortuneTeller:

Most Nigerian women are bleaching, but you can't say anything lest they take offense. Even if you see them bleaching in action, they will lie and say they are naturally light skin. Recently one of my inlaws asked me if he thought his wife bleached, then began to say he knew she didn't because he met her that way. I did not want to disappoint him, so I said I never thought about the issue. His wife has all sorts of spots on her face from bleaching and begged for my 70+ sunscreen. You must learn not to believe anything a Nigerian person says. They will lie for the sake of lying.

1 Like

Re: Ashamed Of Skin Color by leahcimzil: 12:17am On Dec 13, 2016
Because

Their skin.....

...their Business
Re: Ashamed Of Skin Color by Squad4(m): 10:25am On Dec 13, 2016
The truths is that its mostly women that bleach here in Nigeria and they do it because they want to be more attractive to men as it seems men are more attracted to the ''yellow'' skin. Its not white not even close.
Re: Ashamed Of Skin Color by Nobody: 7:08pm On Dec 13, 2016
That's so unfortunate.

Squad4:
The truths is that its mostly women that bleach here in Nigeria and they do it because they want to be more attractive to men as it seems men are more attracted to the ''yellow'' skin. Its not white not even close.

(1) (Reply)

YORUBA LAND...... Teach Me Yoruba / ABOMINATION! A Female King In Iboland!! Whaatt!!! / The White Race Are Not Smarter Than Us

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.