Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,208 members, 7,815,222 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:14 AM

Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Lashes Out At Donald Trump And Americans In Her Article - Literature (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Lashes Out At Donald Trump And Americans In Her Article (25386 Views)

Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Celebrates Her 42nd Birthday Today / Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie And Wole Soyinka Pictured Together / Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie At Paris Fashion Week (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Lashes Out At Donald Trump And Americans In Her Article by richyfunky(m): 10:10am On Dec 10, 2016
Gibberish!
Re: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Lashes Out At Donald Trump And Americans In Her Article by jayAjoku(m): 10:12am On Dec 10, 2016
Amusaopeyemi:

She doesn't talk about the fact that her sisters from the east does not have rights to inheriting their father or husband's properties or write to the senate or the presidency concerning how Nigeria is being run. She is there meddling in America's affair. Bloody Hypocrite.
spot on ma she is just fooling herself i haven't heard of any contributions she has made to the life of women in the east ... at least malala talked to Gej about certain things

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Lashes Out At Donald Trump And Americans In Her Article by Chiefpriest1(m): 10:12am On Dec 10, 2016
sunnyeinstein:

Chiefpriest1 of Nigeria, i knw it ooo, lol

I am not out to tlk abt ur person, i just wrote my mind (albeit rashly maybe) abt ur statement #datsall.

Point i'm trying to make tho is dat Nigerian's home n away should write about this our govt and leave d international waters as 2nd choice in order to hopefully see naija rebound

Sorry if u felt offended. Enjoy ur weekend with #forwardNigeria on ur mind

You too my brother. Peace...
Re: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Lashes Out At Donald Trump And Americans In Her Article by sfinkzslot(m): 10:20am On Dec 10, 2016
SOMEBODY, ANYBODY TO READ AND SUMMARIZE, NO TIME ABEG angry angry angry
Re: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Lashes Out At Donald Trump And Americans In Her Article by Abee79(m): 10:21am On Dec 10, 2016
Chimamanda, Chimamanda Chimamanda! How many times I call you??
See!!! Stay away from politics. If you want to live long and remain relevant, find other ways to express yourself. Stay away from stirring the murky waters of politics. politicians will always do what they want to do. Your credibility is not worth the mudslinging. Ask that grey-haired old man who used his own mouth to discredit himself in the political arena severally!!!!
#itsnotworthit
Re: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Lashes Out At Donald Trump And Americans In Her Article by kstix(m): 10:30am On Dec 10, 2016
Tallesty1:
Ofcourse yes.

Feminism in it's truest form is sexist. The group is made up of people who berate men for being men and expect them to act like what they call "real men" to earn respect.

The are many things a man should do to get the tittle real man and earn respect but a woman is a woman and should be respected.

That's sexism.

Because you're a man, you are guilty of rape, woman battering, abuse etc once accused until proven innocent but a woman is innocent until proven guilty.

That's sexism

Feminism just like someone already said is is the new Nazism. They see themselves as superior, they believe that they deserve better treatment and that can be seen in Adichie's Wailing.

Clinton is a woman, so she's better than Trump and should be president.

What Nonsense.

He surely did.

Politics is about winning the heart of the electorates.

Buhari told Nigeria what they wanted to hear so they voted for him.

Whether he can keep to his promises is secondary, the major thing was getting him in there to see if he can because at least knew our problem.

Same thing worked for trump.

Whether it is right or wrong is not my business but he wasn't voted in because he's a man. He won because he did better.

I believe Hillary defeated other male candidates in the primary. That speaks a volume.

So Trump won because he is a man and a racist?

Right?

Smh.

Hillary played all gender cards known to man but she failed.

Americans know better.

What if I tell you that Clinton lost because she is a Terrorist and an evil woman?

Americans know her history.

It is a shame that Nigerians that are swimming in the ocean of Tribalism are condemning Trump because he's a racist.

Very funny.
U are obviously blind to the truth. Feminism is fighting for equal rights to both gender. Not one having the upper hand over the other. So ur fallacy about feminism being a group of people who want d female to have more right than the men is null and void. As a guy, being a feminist means i would love a woman to thrive and succeed in a level and fair playing field as a man. It doesnt mean i am biased towards the woman. It just shows i believe in equity and justice. Lets call a spade a spade. Do u think trump campaigned alot more than hillary? Do u think trump had more supporters than hillary? Mind u if it was d nigerian way of vote count that was adopted in d US, hillary would have beaten trump hands down because she won the popular votes. It was the electoral college votes (majorly men, veterans) that voted trump in. Trump did not do anything better than hillary in planning for d election. In 3 different debates, she made a fool of him. It was almost like he did everything possible not to win especially with his ill-guarded remarks and bigotry. But alas it was to be the issue of gender bias that got him in. Why do u think for the first time in American history, an election result was protested against? That alone tells u a awful lot except u want to keep deceiving yourself by being blind to the truth when u know what the truth really is. We are talking about a country that didnt allow women vote until 1920 shows u alot about gender bias. So tell me how it wasnt gender bias that got trump to the white house and i will tell u how much of a liar u are. And i laugh at hillary being a terrorist and evil woman. Yeah right. Show me one American president whose hands are entirely clean apart From JFK and lincoln and i will show u a deception of d highest order. Little wonder why both were assasinated. Are u going to tell me hillary is more evil than George bush whose father commited alot of atrocities in the 90s and he walked in his father's footsteps. Or that trump is a better evil version of hillary with the way he has been threatening everyone especially nigerians and his ass groping allegations. Just open ur eyes to the truth and see this thing for what it really is. Sexism. Gender bias. Period!!
Re: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Lashes Out At Donald Trump And Americans In Her Article by Daatlaw11(m): 10:30am On Dec 10, 2016
If anything I love about Adiche, it is that you know where she stands on issues, even b4 asking her opinion. Adiche concern for Nigeria is never in question, afterall, who are her characters in her novels?

She is an international figure. Period. Adiche is using the medium available to her to make impact in Igboland, Nigeria, Africa and the world at large.
Re: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Lashes Out At Donald Trump And Americans In Her Article by Greatbeard(m): 10:32am On Dec 10, 2016
I call Bullshit.
Everyone is talking about how unfit trump is and how he is a misogynist and all that crap. Question is ? is Clinton any better.
1) So Trump winning suddenly means america hates women?

2) why is nobody talking about Hillary Clinton's involvement in the bloodbath that occurred in the middle east?

3) The issue of national security may not mean much in Nigeria, but in America, Government privacy is everything.
Using personal servers to conduct government business and then deleting them because she can. she shouldn't be celebrated,she should be questioned thoroughly.

I hate trump just like the next guy but Clinton isn't any better.
She isnt a better human being she's just better at keeping her mouth shut.

Now can we please let the man fail or succeed before killing him!!?

2 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Lashes Out At Donald Trump And Americans In Her Article by kstix(m): 10:32am On Dec 10, 2016
Abee79:
Chimamanda, Chimamanda Chimamanda! How many times I call you??
See!!! Stay away from politics. If you want to live long and remain relevant, find other ways to express yourself. Stay away from stirring the murky waters of politics. politicians will always do what they want to do. Your credibility is not worth the mudslinging. Ask that grey-haired old man who used his own mouth to discredit himself in the political arena severally!!!!
#itsnotworthit
Soyinka got his internal recognition not just from literature but from also meddling in politics.
Re: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Lashes Out At Donald Trump And Americans In Her Article by gesundheit: 10:42am On Dec 10, 2016
MEILYN:
You are the stupid one here. You idiotic liberals would always call people bigots, racists without pointing out where or when they exhibited bigotry.

You fools should better get your head straight. Nobody accused Donald Trump of racism in his 40years of fame, but he suddenly became a racist when he expressed his intentions of running for President.

The whole of your bloodline are reta...tarded brainless scumbags, where are these vermins with low IQed humanoid crawling out from. Simply because you are a non informed village shithead that's why you don't know drumpf has been a racist all his life. Does the rental discriminatory law suit sound familiar?? What about the central park 7, birthers theory and his believe in eugenics. Even one of his appointees Steven bannon run the infamous alt right aka white supremacists magazine. These foools keep supporting peeps that hate them with all their mind, Anthony Schwartz trump biography writer should know the man better than a third world living simpleton like you scumbags.
Re: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Lashes Out At Donald Trump And Americans In Her Article by Abee79(m): 10:47am On Dec 10, 2016
kstix:

Soyinka got his internal recognition not just from literature but from also meddling in politics.
So, how did that work out for him? lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Lashes Out At Donald Trump And Americans In Her Article by buffalowings: 10:53am On Dec 10, 2016
Confuciusng:

Not when your own country will lock you up if you speak up like she did. Any journalist who dare criticise Buhari and his govt like this will be answering questions in SSS detention in the morning. Moreover, the market there favor her.

The more reason why adichie should be talking about Nigerian issues not American issues
Re: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Lashes Out At Donald Trump And Americans In Her Article by Almand: 11:01am On Dec 10, 2016
Chiefpriest1:

Okay, it basically means he's extremely and abnormally unstable (highly temperamental, intolerant , unpredictable in the wrong sense).

Unfortunately, there's a big world of difference between being a businessman and being a president of the world's most powerful nation.

You can fail in business, dust yourself and come back stronger.

But imagine if in anger, a president sends his forces to go destroy an entire nation, even before thinking about the implications. The effect of that is not reversible.

Or he activates America's nuclear armament -attempting to kill a fly with a sledge hammer.

And by the way, maybe he wouldn't have gone bankrupt in the first place, if he actually thought through his decisions. I hope he succeeds though.
With every thing trump has done since winning the election, does he strike you as someone who is unstable and unpredictable in a bad way Have you read any of his books That guy is more stable and intelligent much more than some people are willing to give him credit for. Or can you point out one unpredictable action or word he had said to suggest he is any thing close to how he is been describe?? You don't make billions by being unstable or being afraid to speak you mind. If trying to telling the truth without colouration or being politically correct is what you are calling unpredictable in a bad way, than I wish Buhari to be just that. The Muslims should count themselves lucky because they now have the chance to chose side. with Clinton, they would have been played why foolishly believing it is in their interest.

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Lashes Out At Donald Trump And Americans In Her Article by franklynsunny(m): 11:03am On Dec 10, 2016
I can't read dis long articles
What's dis woman stil doin in USA thinkin n writing dis long against Trump
She should stay away frm politics and continue singin wit Beyonce since she found hersef jobless in USA nw attacking d man dat won US election against all Odd
Re: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Lashes Out At Donald Trump And Americans In Her Article by LastProphet: 11:03am On Dec 10, 2016
Tallesty1:
My problem with feminists is that when they contest in something and lose to men, they automatically conclude that they lost because they're women.

I was talking with one the other day and she said that a woman cannot become president in Nigeria because Nigeria men hate women and I asked.

"Are Igbos women? Why is it difficult for them to become president in Nigeria?"

It's simple, they don't plan well.

Clinton lost because Trump did something better.

Adichie should stop wailing and return home if she isn't comfortable with Trump being American president.

You're there blowing grammar when the old man you stupid folks foisted on us has rendered the economy useless.

Poor man can no longer afford garri and sugar.

Many people won't travel home this xmass because they're broke but the only thing disturbing you is American's choice of president.

How is it your business?

Clinton Lost, Trump won, deal with it or die crying.

International Wailer

u got it right, Adichie is talking trash

2 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Lashes Out At Donald Trump And Americans In Her Article by Fairgodwin(m): 11:10am On Dec 10, 2016
jbhitler:
yes it will.but please don't forget to check your BP.

Alright sir, thank you.
Re: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Lashes Out At Donald Trump And Americans In Her Article by brushesz: 11:29am On Dec 10, 2016
thesicilian:
Nigerians should leave Americans alone to govern themselves the way they like. You'll leave your country in tatters and go and be blowing grammar in another man's country. Is it not because they took good care of their own that you found it desirable to go and live in?

May God bless you.
May 2017 be your year of Favour for posting this truth.
Amen!

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Lashes Out At Donald Trump And Americans In Her Article by Nobody: 11:34am On Dec 10, 2016
There is also in Nigeria, dts why u can air ur views n berate every civilian president's we've heard on air and nothing happens winkdts freedom after speech
Divepen1:
Lol... But there, there is freedom of speech even after the speech.
Re: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Lashes Out At Donald Trump And Americans In Her Article by Nobody: 11:37am On Dec 10, 2016
Wasere Molebi o ti se ni he wink
Tallesty1:
My problem with feminists is that when they contest in something and lose to men, they automatically conclude that they lost because they're women.

I was talking with one the other day and she said that a woman cannot become president in Nigeria because Nigeria men hate women and I asked.

Adichie should stop wailing and return home if she isn't comfortable with Trump being American president.

You're there blowing grammar when the old man you stupid folks foisted on us has rendered the economy useless.

Many people won't travel home this xmass because they're broke but the only thing disturbing you is American's choice of president.

How is it your business?

International Wailer
Re: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Lashes Out At Donald Trump And Americans In Her Article by OAUTemitayo: 11:40am On Dec 10, 2016
Let us hear what our brothers from the Eastern part of Nigeria would yarn. The same people that abused Wole Soyinka on same issue are nowhere to be found.
Re: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Lashes Out At Donald Trump And Americans In Her Article by Nobody: 11:42am On Dec 10, 2016
Find urself a southern BJ n u'l sleep lyk a baby wink
Fairgodwin:
I couldn't sleep. Does anyone know the solution to insomnia, please?
Re: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Lashes Out At Donald Trump And Americans In Her Article by Tallesty1(m): 12:01pm On Dec 10, 2016
kstix:

U are obviously blind to the truth. Feminism is fighting for equal rights to both gender. Not one having the upper hand over the other. So ur fallacy about feminism being a group of people who want d female to have more right than the men is null and void. As a guy, being a feminist means i would love a woman to thrive and succeed in a level and fair playing field as a man. It doesnt mean i am biased towards the woman. It just shows i believe in equity and justice. Lets call a spade a spade. Do u think trump campaigned alot more than hillary? Do u think trump had more supporters than hillary? Mind u if it was d nigerian way of vote count that was adopted in d US, hillary would have beaten trump hands down because she won the popular votes. It was the electoral college votes (majorly men, veterans) that voted trump in. Trump did not do anything better than hillary in planning for d election. In 3 different debates, she made a fool of him. It was almost like he did everything possible not to win especially with his ill-guarded remarks and bigotry. But alas it was to be the issue of gender bias that got him in. Why do u think for the first time in American history, an election result was protested against? That alone tells u a awful lot except u want to keep deceiving yourself by being blind to the truth when u know what the truth really is. We are talking about a country that didnt allow women vote until 1920 shows u alot about gender bias. So tell me how it wasnt gender bias that got trump to the white house and i will tell u how much of a liar u are. And i laugh at hillary being a terrorist and evil woman. Yeah right. Show me one American president whose hands are entirely clean apart From JFK and lincoln and i will show u a deception of d highest order. Little wonder why both were assasinated. Are u going to tell me hillary is more evil than George bush whose father commited alot of atrocities in the 90s and he walked in his father's footsteps. Or that trump is a better evil version of hillary with the way he has been threatening everyone especially nigerians and his ass groping allegations. Just open ur eyes to the truth and see this thing for what it really is. Sexism. Gender bias. Period!!
Show examples of where feminist fought for the rights of men.

Show me what shows that feminist want equal rights for men and women.

And I will agree to every other thing that you wrote.
Re: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Lashes Out At Donald Trump And Americans In Her Article by MEILYN(m): 12:16pm On Dec 10, 2016
gesundheit:

The whole of your bloodline are reta...tarded brainless scumbags, where are these vermins with low IQed humanoid crawling out from. Simply because you are a non informed village shithead that's why you don't know drumpf has been a racist all his life. Does the rental discriminatory law suit sound familiar?? What about the central park 7, birthers theory and his believe in eugenics. Even one of his appointees Steven bannon run the infamous alt right aka white supremacists magazine. These foools keep supporting peeps that hate them with all their mind, Anthony Schwartz trump biography writer should know the man better than a third world living simpleton like you scumbags.
This shows how idiotic you are. Like I said, the mainstream media will always keep brainwashed animals like yourself in the dark.

Trump won the election, it's high time you stopped crying like a new born baby abandoned by its mother.

I could address all the stupid points you put up there, but I see you like a fool who's not ready to learn the truth.

This 3rd world simpleton is more informed than your past and future generations will ever be.
Re: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Lashes Out At Donald Trump And Americans In Her Article by thesicilian: 12:27pm On Dec 10, 2016
brushesz:

May God bless you. May 2017 be your year of Favour for posting this truth. Amen!
Amen bro, and you too

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Lashes Out At Donald Trump And Americans In Her Article by Nobody: 12:44pm On Dec 10, 2016
Baba get urself a southern BJ n sleep like a baby
Fairgodwin:

Does it really work? And can I get it readily at any pharmacy?
The thing is, I've tried drugs but they don't ever work on me, sadly.
Re: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Lashes Out At Donald Trump And Americans In Her Article by iamKeo(m): 12:46pm On Dec 10, 2016
Alhajipablo:
The whites have always been shallow, it takes the deep to call on the deep or something like that. It took a stupid Man like Trump to bring out the stupidity in white Americans.

you call Trump stupid yet he is the president of the most powerful country in the world you call whites stupid yet the are more developed than you. the question is who is now stupid?
Re: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Lashes Out At Donald Trump And Americans In Her Article by iamKeo(m): 12:46pm On Dec 10, 2016
Alhajipablo:
The whites have always been shallow, it takes the deep to call on the deep or something like that. It took a stupid Man like Trump to bring out the stupidity in white Americans.

you call Trump stupid yet he is the president of the most powerful country in the world you call whites stupid yet the are more developed than you. the question is who is now stupid?
Re: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Lashes Out At Donald Trump And Americans In Her Article by blackprowler: 12:46pm On Dec 10, 2016
I wish they could deport that fool to the level she belongs: Nigeria. All these people worshipping those whose claim to fame is all talk and write and dividing up the country into ethnic group rivalry are the people to blame sef. Writer? You should be flogged for being a fiction writer, vomitting all your prejudices and ignorance in a language only 1% of your countrymen would understand. If you're not a science-based celebrity, you're really empty. That's fine, but if you claim that you're too much, I freaking call you out!
Re: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Lashes Out At Donald Trump And Americans In Her Article by quickly: 1:02pm On Dec 10, 2016
Divepen1:
Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
On December 2 The NewYorker published an article by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie , the Author of three Novels, which intricately requests that people should open their eyes to racism and feminism. She expressed her anger at the way the Americans treated Obama during his time as the President. Below is the full article.
NOW IS THE TIME TO TALK ABOUT WHAT WE ARE ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT
"America has always been aspirational to me. Even when I chafed at its hypocrisies, it somehow always seemed sure, a nation that knew what it was doing, refreshingly free of that anything-can-happen existential uncertainty so familiar to developing nations. But no longer. The election of Donald Trump has flattened the poetry in America’s founding philosophy: the country born from an idea of freedom is to be governed by an unstable, stubbornly uninformed, authoritarian demagogue. And in response to this there are people living in visceral fear, people anxiously trying to discern policy from bluster, and people kowtowing as though to a new king. Things that were recently pushed to the corners of America’s political space—overt racism, glaring misogyny, anti-intellectualism—are once again creeping to the center.
Now is the time to resist the slightest extension in the boundaries of what is right and just. Now is the time to speak up and to wear as a badge of honor the opprobrium of bigots. Now is the time to confront the weak core at the heart of America’s addiction to optimism; it allows too little room for resilience, and too much for fragility. Hazy visions of “healing” and “not becoming the hate we hate” sound dangerously like appeasement. The responsibility to forge unity belongs not to the denigrated but to the denigrators. The premise for empathy has to be equal humanity; it is an injustice to demand that the maligned identify with those who question their humanity.
America loves winners, but victory does not absolve. Victory, especially a slender one decided by a few thousand votes in a handful of states, does not guarantee respect. Nobody automatically deserves deference on ascending to the leadership of any country. American journalists know this only too well when reporting on foreign leaders—their default mode with Africans, for instance, is nearly always barely concealed disdain. President Obama endured disrespect from all quarters. By far the most egregious insult directed toward him, the racist movement tamely termed “birtherism,” was championed by Trump.
Yet, a day after the election, I heard a journalist on the radio speak of the vitriol between Obama and Trump. No, the vitriol was Trump’s. Now is the time to burn false equivalencies forever. Pretending that both sides of an issue are equal when they are not is not “balanced” journalism; it is a fairy tale—and, unlike most fairy tales, a disingenuous one.
Now is the time to refuse the blurring of memory. Each mention of “gridlock” under Obama must be wrought in truth: that “gridlock” was a deliberate and systematic refusal of the Republican Congress to work with him. Now is the time to call things what they actually are, because language can illuminate truth as much as it can obfuscate it. Now is the time to forge new words. “Alt-right” is benign. “White-supremacist right” is more accurate.
Now is the time to talk about what we are actually talking about. “Climate contrarian” obfuscates. “Climate-change denier” does not. And because climate change is scientific fact, not opinion, this matters.
Now is the time to discard that carefulness that too closely resembles a lack of conviction. The election is not a “simple racism story,” because no racism story is ever a “simple” racism story, in which grinning evil people wearing white burn crosses in yards. A racism story is complicated, but it is still a racism story, and it is worth parsing. Now is not the time to tiptoe around historical references. Recalling Nazism is not extreme; it is the astute response of those who know that history gives both context and warning.
Now is the time to recalibrate the default assumptions of American political discourse. Identity politics is not the sole preserve of minority voters. This election is a reminder that identity politics in America is a white invention: it was the basis of segregation. The denial of civil rights to black Americans had at its core the idea that a black American should not be allowed to vote because that black American was not white. The endless questioning, before the election of Obama, about America’s “readiness” for a black President was a reaction to white identity politics. Yet “identity politics” has come to be associated with minorities, and often with a patronizing undercurrent, as though to refer to nonwhite people motivated by an irrational herd instinct. White Americans have practiced identity politics since the inception of America, but it is now laid bare, impossible to evade.
Now is the time for the media, on the left and right, to educate and inform. To be nimble and alert, clear-eyed and skeptical, active rather than reactive. To make clear choices about what truly matters.
Now is the time to put the idea of the “liberal bubble” to rest. The reality of American tribalism is that different groups all live in bubbles. Now is the time to acknowledge the ways in which Democrats have condescended to the white working class—and to acknowledge that Trump condescends to it by selling it fantasies. Now is the time to remember that there are working-class Americans who are not white and who have suffered the same deprivations and are equally worthy of news profiles. Now is the time to remember that “women” does not equal white women. “Women” must mean all women.
Now is the time to elevate the art of questioning. Is the only valid resentment in America that of white males? If we are to be sympathetic to the idea that economic anxieties lead to questionable decisions, does this apply to all groups? Who exactly are the élite?
Now is the time to frame the questions differently. If everything remained the same, and Hillary Clinton were a man, would she still engender an overheated, outsized hostility? Would a woman who behaved exactly like Trump be elected? Now is the time to stop suggesting that sexism was absent in the election because white women did not overwhelmingly vote for Clinton. Misogyny is not the sole preserve of men.
The case for women is not that they are inherently better or more moral. It is that they are half of humanity and should have the same opportunities—and be judged according to the same standards—as the other half. Clinton was expected to be perfect, according to contradictory standards, in an election that became a referendum on her likability.
Now is the time to ask why America is far behind many other countries (see: Rwanda) in its representation of women in politics. Now is the time to explore mainstream attitudes toward women’s ambition, to ponder to what extent the ordinary political calculations that all politicians make translate as moral failures when we see them in women. Clinton’s careful calibration was read as deviousness. But would a male politician who is carefully calibrated—Mitt Romney, for example—merely read as carefully calibrated?
Now is the time to be precise about the meanings of words. Trump saying “They let you do it” about assaulting women does not imply consent, because consent is what happens before an act.
Now is the time to remember that, in a wave of dark populism sweeping the West, there are alternative forms. Bernie Sanders’s message did not scapegoat the vulnerable. Obama rode a populist wave before his first election, one marked by a remarkable inclusiveness. Now is the time to counter lies with facts, repeatedly and unflaggingly, while also proclaiming the greater truths: of our equal humanity, of decency, of compassion. Every precious ideal must be reiterated, every obvious argument made, because an ugly idea left unchallenged begins to turn the color of normal. It does not have to be like this.

What do you think.

https://olofoforeview./2016/12/08/now-is-the-time-to-talk-about-what-we-are-actually-talking-about-by-chimamanda-ngozi-adichie/

You dey critise another country while you motherlsnd is upside down. I know if ppl like you are in govt you will do an honest job and not steal money depiste of temptations.
Re: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Lashes Out At Donald Trump And Americans In Her Article by iamKeo(m): 1:05pm On Dec 10, 2016
gesundheit:

I don't jawjaw with si..mpleton, go and learn how to write in English language first.

I can see you are a very insecure possibly brain dead human you can't even argue. He replied your abusive comment like matured well mannered human and you are there insulting him like you got anything on him. Don't worry your whoever that's over there will soon be back. grin
Re: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Lashes Out At Donald Trump And Americans In Her Article by Alhajipablo(m): 1:21pm On Dec 10, 2016
iamKeo:

who is this one?
I still repeat Trump and the majority of the whites are stupid and I'm not rescinding my words. They wear the most beautiful mask to cover their dirty/ugly intent.
Re: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Lashes Out At Donald Trump And Americans In Her Article by Fordwest(m): 1:28pm On Dec 10, 2016
Tallesty1:

How is it your business?

International Wailer

Guy, u jus nailed de hammer on de head. Correct. Imagine dat small rat o, jus because dem give her award de other day, she come feel say she get mouth to talk. By de way, Chimamanda, am asking u, what have u said concerning ur own country Nigeria, or ain't u current with de drama going on in dis country. Don't u knw dat Trump is beta dan de skinny man we have as a president. What advice have u giving to PMB. First, take out de log of wood in ur eyes den u will see clearly to remove de speck of dust in anoda man's eye. U dey here dey blow gramma. I no blame u.
Yeye angry angry

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Nigerian Folk Tales / My First Girlfriend - My Life Story (in Episodes) / Fragments Of Hidden Memories

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 112
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.