Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,569 members, 7,816,403 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:41 AM

Come In If You Need Explanation On Any Bible Verse - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Come In If You Need Explanation On Any Bible Verse (714 Views)

Man Posts Bottle Of Beer And Bible Verse To Justify His Drink (Photo) / What Is Your Best Bible Verse? / Which Bible Verse Is The Most Quoted By People? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Come In If You Need Explanation On Any Bible Verse by Thepasserby(m): 7:56pm On Dec 08, 2016
I have always wanted to do this for some time now. Post Any Bible verse you need an explanation to and God helping us, we will discuss it together.

Jesus loves you.
Re: Come In If You Need Explanation On Any Bible Verse by Nobody: 8:03pm On Dec 08, 2016
The God haters will soon come crawling all over.
Re: Come In If You Need Explanation On Any Bible Verse by Jhulyan(m): 8:12pm On Dec 08, 2016
John 14:26,.... Who did the Father send?
Re: Come In If You Need Explanation On Any Bible Verse by Thepasserby(m): 8:18pm On Dec 08, 2016
Jhulyan:
John 14:26,.... Who did the Father send?

let's look at the verse in question.
But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, he will teach you all things and bring to your remembrance all that I have said to you.

The Father sent the holy spirit who was to guide the saints into the path of the truth. The Holy spirit is like the original unadulterated conscience of God granted to all humans during creation.
Re: Come In If You Need Explanation On Any Bible Verse by semasir: 9:05pm On Dec 08, 2016
Matthew 26.26-28

*Was it a loaf of bread broken?
*Was the bread broken into pieces or they all took their piece from the bread?
*How many cups shared or just a cup which they all drank from?
*Did Jesus partake of the Lord's Supper?
Re: Come In If You Need Explanation On Any Bible Verse by Thepasserby(m): 9:22pm On Dec 08, 2016
semasir:
Matthew 26.26-28

*Was it a loaf of bread broken?
*Was the bread broken into pieces or they all took their piece from the bread?
*How many cups shared or just a cup which they all drank from?
*Did Jesus partake of the Lord's Supper?

Okay, perhaps let's see what the text says

Now as they were eating, Jesus took bread, and after blessing it broke it and gave it to the disciples, and said, “Take, eat; this is my body.” And he took a cup, and when he had given thanks he gave it to them, saying, “Drink of it, all of you, for this is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins. Mat 26;26-28

It was a loaf of bread shared amongst the disciples as a sign of love and oneness. Since it was during Passover feast, then it was believed to be an unleavened bread baked without yeast. It is the presence of the yeast in the dough that makes the bread rise. This type of bread was baked just like a biscuit.

They all took their piece from the one bread Jesus broke.

For the last question, Jesus was present at the last supper but He didn't partake of it. He only showed the disciples a prototype of what is done in Heaven.

here is what vs 29 says

I tell you I will not drink again of this fruit of the vine until that day when I drink it new with you in my Father's kingdom.” Mat 26:29

It was just single cup as we have read from the passage. Although English as a language was still evolving as at the time of translation:, so we might not have the real idea of what the original Hebrew words meant until we read the Hebrew manuscripts.

1 Like

Re: Come In If You Need Explanation On Any Bible Verse by semasir: 9:28pm On Dec 08, 2016
Thanks for your analysis.... Well said! Would you say using multiple cups is wrong for Communion and also, is it ideal for the bread to be broken in pieces before each takes his/her own piece?

Thepasserby:

Okay, perhaps let's see what the text says

Now as they were eating, Jesus took bread, and after blessing it broke it and gave it to the disciples, and said, “Take, eat; this is my body.” And he took a cup, and when he had given thanks he gave it to them, saying, “Drink of it, all of you, for this is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins. Mat 26;26-28

It was a loaf of bread shared amongst the disciples as a sign of love and oneness. Since it was during Passover feast, then it was believed to be an unleavened bread baked without yeast. It is the presence of the yeast in the dough that makes the bread rise. This type of bread was baked just like a biscuit.

They all took their piece from the one bread Jesus broke.

For the last question, Jesus was present at the last supper but He didn't partake of it. He only showed the disciples a prototype of what is done in Heaven.

here is what vs 29 says

I tell you I will not drink again of this fruit of the vine until that day when I drink it new with you in my Father's kingdom.” Mat 26:29

It was just single cup as we have read from the passage. Although English as a language was still evolving as at the time of translation:, so we might not have the real idea of what the original Hebrew words meant until we read the Hebrew manuscripts.

Re: Come In If You Need Explanation On Any Bible Verse by Thepasserby(m): 9:37pm On Dec 08, 2016
semasir:
Thanks for your analysis.... Well said! Would you say using multiple cups is wrong for Communion and also, is it ideal for the bread to be broken in pieces before each takes his/her own piece?

The ideal thing is for believers to share the Same bread and cup but then, greed entered the church and the original plan was disrupted by man.

...So then, when you come together, it is not the Lord’s Supper you eat, for when you are eating, some of you go ahead with your own private suppers. As a result, one person remains hungry and another
gets drunk... 1 Corinth 11-17-34

For now, for the maintenance of order in worship, it is advisable for multiple cups to be used during the lords supper.
Re: Come In If You Need Explanation On Any Bible Verse by Nobody: 11:26pm On Dec 08, 2016
If however the charges are true, and no proof of the young woman's virginity can be found. She shall be brought to the door of her father's house and there the men of the town shall stone her to death. Deutronomy 22:20-21
Re: Come In If You Need Explanation On Any Bible Verse by Thepasserby(m): 1:55am On Dec 09, 2016
yemimajid:
If however the charges are true, and no proof of the young woman's virginity can be found. She shall be brought to the door of her father's house and there the men of the town shall stone her to death. Deutronomy 22:20-21

Sorry I was a bit busy. Please I need to know your question before I can answer it. Just state your question and it shall be answered.
Re: Come In If You Need Explanation On Any Bible Verse by bukiboy(m): 3:23am On Dec 09, 2016
Malachi 3:8-10 and Matthew 27:51

why are pastors so keen about collecting tithe?
Re: Come In If You Need Explanation On Any Bible Verse by Thepasserby(m): 6:23am On Dec 09, 2016
bukiboy:
Malachi 3:8-10 and Matthew 27:51

Bring the full tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. And thereby put me to the test, says the Lord of hosts, if I will not open the windows of heaven for you and pour down for you a blessing until there is no more need. Mal 3:10

why are pastors so keen about collecting tithe?

Well it will first of all interest you to know that Man was the originator of tithing and not God. It was Jacob who made a covenant with God to give Him a tenth of Everything He has as a sign of appreciation.

and this stone, which I have set up for a pillar, shall be God's house. And of all that you give me I will give a full tenth to you.” Gen 28:22

The main idea of tithing was then used to provide food to the Levites who were scattered all through Israel as a punishment from their father Jacob.

Cursed be their anger, for it is fierce, and their wrath, for it is cruel!
I will divide them in Jacob and scatter them in Israel. Gen 49:7

Pastors are so keen on collecting tithes because that is where their food comes from. If it is right to collect money from the government after days of work, then it is also right for Men of God to eat also. Most of the tithe brought into the church are used for the expansion of the Gospel and also providing help to the needee

Concerning God's view about the tithes we now bring, I will suggest you read Psalm 50
Re: Come In If You Need Explanation On Any Bible Verse by Wolexdey(m): 7:17am On Dec 09, 2016
Awesome...

Leviticus Chapter 12 as whole... Thanks.

Emphasis should be laid on the aspect of Circumcision
Re: Come In If You Need Explanation On Any Bible Verse by Nobody: 7:35am On Dec 09, 2016
Thepasserby:

Why is your question?
Lol explanation na..
Re: Come In If You Need Explanation On Any Bible Verse by semasir: 8:08am On Dec 09, 2016
Do you support the greed over the ideal? Biblical standards I believe should never be changed for innovation except where the scripture is silent

Thepasserby:

The ideal thing is for believers to share the Same bread and cup but then, greed entered the church and the original plan was disrupted by man.

...So then, when you come together, it is not the Lord’s Supper you eat, for when you are eating, some of you go ahead with your own private suppers. As a result, one person remains hungry and another
gets drunk... 1 Corinth 11-17-34

For now, for the maintenance of order in worship, it is advisable for multiple cups to be used during the lords supper.
Re: Come In If You Need Explanation On Any Bible Verse by Nobody: 12:08pm On Dec 09, 2016
Ah.. Thank God for Yu op

I don't know the exact verse, but I know its Peter who said it.
Stuff about women being quiet in the church.. So female pastors are commiting a sin?
Re: Come In If You Need Explanation On Any Bible Verse by Thepasserby(m): 12:31pm On Dec 09, 2016
semasir:
Do you support the greed over the ideal? Biblical standards I believe should never be changed for innovation except where the scripture is silent

[/i]

Well, the first Lord's supper took place with just 13 people. Now the number has increased tremendously. In the early days of Christianity, the disciples were shared into small groups of believers and that made the Lord's supper easier. I think using multiple cups is okay.
Re: Come In If You Need Explanation On Any Bible Verse by Thepasserby(m): 12:39pm On Dec 09, 2016
Masikay:
Ah.. Thank God for Yu op

I don't know the exact verse, but I know its Peter who said it.
Stuff about women being quiet in the church.. So female pastors are commiting a sin?

Here is the verse

Women should remain silent in the churches. They are not allowed to speak, but must be in submission, as the law says. 1 Corinth 14:34

I don't think women who are preaching are committing a sin. Was Deborah sinning When she led Israel? No.

What Paul was saying was that women should submit to the authority of their husbands even in the Church. A woman's assignment on earth is always attached to a man. Her primary aim is to assist the man.
Re: Come In If You Need Explanation On Any Bible Verse by Nobody: 1:10pm On Dec 09, 2016
Thepasserby:

Here is the verse

Women should remain silent in the churches. They are not allowed to speak, but must be in submission, as the law says. 1 Corinth 14:34

I don't think women who are preaching are committing a sin. Was Deborah sinning When she led Israel? No.

What Paul was saying was that women should submit to the authority of their husbands even in the Church. A woman's assignment on earth is always attached to a man. Her primary aim is to assist the man.

This other one... The verses about divorce.
I know it says something about marrying a divorced person making you an adulterer.... So I heard this story, where this woman's husband married someone else and went to the U.S with her.

The lady wants to divorce the guy, and has found someone who actually wants to be with her.
In such situation, should this woman's life stand still because of what the bible said?
Re: Come In If You Need Explanation On Any Bible Verse by shadeyinka(m): 1:46pm On Dec 09, 2016
semasir:

[/i]

The OP has beautifully answered your question.

The letters kills, it is the Spirit that gives life..

In a congregation of 12, one cup and one bread makes sense. However, in a congregation of 1000 (which is common in today's assemblies), I don't know what kind of oven you want to use to break a single bread.

The book of Corinthians show that in the early church, full meals were taken at communions (leading to their unruly behaviours)

I hope your question is answered. Christianity isnt about observance of protocols.
Re: Come In If You Need Explanation On Any Bible Verse by shadeyinka(m): 2:00pm On Dec 09, 2016
Masikay:

I know it says something about marrying a divorced person making you an adulterer.... So I heard this story, where this woman's husband married someone else and went to the U.S with her.

The lady wants to divorce the guy, and has found someone who actually wants to be with her.
In such situation, should this woman's life stand still because of what the bible said?

Here is a real practical question that when it comes to obedience, we allow sentiments to put us in the permissive will of God.

There is only one valid ground for divorce (which forgiveness should override) and that is adultery.

As far as God is concerned, marriage is until death. As long as the other partner is alive, he can neither remarry nor can the wife remarry. Even in divorce as a result of adultary, the one filing for divorce cannot remarry (he/she is not free from the union even in divorce).

This is the standard!

However, as human beings we bend this rule and we could bring up seemingly valid justifications for that. Here, I will say such falls under the permissive will of God.

Should such kind of people divorce their second husband after having 3 children for him and remain single?

Suppose a newly married childless woman battered daily by her husband remain with him until she is murdered? If she separates from the husband, should she remain childless?

There are some questions that are difficult ylto answer when it affects once interests.

Stay blessed.

OP, Thepasserby:
Over to you. I haven't done justice to his question.
Re: Come In If You Need Explanation On Any Bible Verse by Nobody: 2:04pm On Dec 09, 2016
Thepasserby:

Why is your question?
Still waiting..
Re: Come In If You Need Explanation On Any Bible Verse by Thepasserby(m): 3:16pm On Dec 09, 2016
Wolexdey:
Awesome...

Leviticus Chapter 12 as whole... Thanks.

Emphasis should be laid on the aspect of Circumcision

Most of what was written in the old testament was a culture of the people. Have you heard of some tribes who don't allow women who gave birth to come out of the house until after forty days? it was the same way in the old testament. God gave the laws in accordance to what the people believed.

on the issue of circumcision, it was a symbol of the Abrahamic covenant. It was a sign binding the covenant so it was right for the descendants of Abraham to follow after their father.
Re: Come In If You Need Explanation On Any Bible Verse by Nobody: 3:20pm On Dec 09, 2016
DEUTRONOMY 22:20-21 ooooo
Re: Come In If You Need Explanation On Any Bible Verse by Thepasserby(m): 3:20pm On Dec 09, 2016
yemimajid:
Still waiting..

Sorry I was a bit busy. Please I need to know your question before I can answer it. Just state your question and it shall be answered.
Re: Come In If You Need Explanation On Any Bible Verse by Nobody: 3:24pm On Dec 09, 2016
Thepasserby:

You offered to give an explanation on a verse...give one on that please...
Re: Come In If You Need Explanation On Any Bible Verse by Nobody: 3:26pm On Dec 09, 2016
Thepasserby.. Waiting...
Re: Come In If You Need Explanation On Any Bible Verse by Thepasserby(m): 3:27pm On Dec 09, 2016
Masikay:

I want you to know that marriage goes beyond sharing a surname or a bed. it also entails sharing of life's goals, blessings and curses. Once you are joined to someone in marriage, even heaven recognises that as a long lasting agreement because it is an oath. There is no excuse for adultery. One thing that God and even the devil honors is agreement. Well as far as the Scriptures are concerned, the man and the woman are both adulterers.

The woman's life shouldn't stand still but I will prefer she seeks the Lord's face and pray her own husband comes back to her. She should seek counsel on what to do.
Re: Come In If You Need Explanation On Any Bible Verse by Thepasserby(m): 3:35pm On Dec 09, 2016
Masikay:
Thepasserby.. Waiting...

okay, virginity is something treated with utmost respect by the Jews. It is important to know that the virginity of a lady can easily be ascertained unlike their male counterparts. As a lady, her pride is her virginity and that's the gift she gives to her husband. The bride price paid during weddings is for the bride's virginity.

Once she has lost the virginity, she was regarded as filthy as a pig. the issue of stoning her to death in front of her father's house was to serve as a warning to others. It was strictly a tradition which the Jews respected.

Please... I don't really know what you really want to understand about the verse. your question will guide me into the right path.

thanks.
Re: Come In If You Need Explanation On Any Bible Verse by Nobody: 3:36pm On Dec 09, 2016
Thepasserby:

okay, virginity is something treated with utmost respect by the Jews. It is important to know that the virginity of a lady can easily be ascertained unlike their male counterparts. As a lady, her pride is her virginity and that's the gift she gives to her husband. The bride price paid during weddings is for the bride's virginity.

Once she has lost the virginity, she was regarded as filthy as a pig. the issue of stoning her to death in front of her father's house was to serve as a warning to others. It was strictly a tradition which the Jews respected.

Please... I don't really know what you really want to understand about the verse. your question will guide me into the right path.

thanks.

You've answered me already. Thanks.
Re: Come In If You Need Explanation On Any Bible Verse by Thepasserby(m): 3:37pm On Dec 09, 2016
Masikay:

You've answered me already. Thanks.
You are welcome

(1) (Reply)

The "Brothers" Of Jesus / Prophet TB Joshua's Prophesy As At 1st Jan / 7 Interesting Facts About Sundays In A Typical Nigerian Home

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.