Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,929 members, 7,814,157 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 07:58 AM

5 Protestants Who Surprisingly Defended Mary’s Perpetual Virginity - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / 5 Protestants Who Surprisingly Defended Mary’s Perpetual Virginity (7775 Views)

Do Protestants Really Know Catholicism? / Catholics And Protestants Fight Inside A Bus In Anambra State (videos) / Miracle Esenam's Cleavage-Baring Wedding Gown Defended By Laurie Idahosa (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 5 Protestants Who Surprisingly Defended Mary’s Perpetual Virginity by shadeyinka(m): 11:13am On Dec 20, 2016
TheEminentLaity:
grin cheesy grin cheesy Please tell us the people you know that knew Christ first-hand and their testimony about His mother. FMary it is fruitless to argue with protestants they are always right. Most here don't even know the people you listed yet follow their teachings.
There are over a billion Roman Catholics and over 600million Orthodox Christians and these are well over 2000 years old and they believe in the perpetual virginity of the Holy Theotokos including many Anglicans. Who told you the Virgin Mary had other children and why should we listen to you when you don't even know about these people mentioned in the original post?
Stick to what works for you and don't try to teach someone when you don't know your church, protestant, bible or chritianity's history yourself.

Those who know Joseph, Mary and Jesus firsthand are the apostles, his disciples and foes alike. Most of the writings of the disciples are found in the new testament.

Wasn't there a time the whole world believes that the earth was flat? Its not about the population its about reasonable facts.

I used 1Cor9:5 to correct a tradition which has come in much later from thos who knew the people in question.

1 Corinthians 9:5
5 Don’t we have the right to take a believing wife along with us, as do the other apostles and the Lord’s brothers and Cephas?

Traditions are OK only when they don't become a doctrinal issue.

Shalom to you
Re: 5 Protestants Who Surprisingly Defended Mary’s Perpetual Virginity by TheEminentLaity: 11:20am On Dec 20, 2016
When a protestant reads '...if anyone preaches another gospel other than the one you have received, let him be accursed...' to a Roman Catholic or an Orthodox christian simply exposes the depth of ignorance of the individual about the history of his faith.

That line has been used to indict and prosecute heretics and dissenters centuries before the reformation...now even Pentecostals use it accuse one another and even Catholics who compiled the books of the Bible, of which Luther in his wisdom removed some and left at sixty six. How many of them know this? No wonder they are so gullible to these scammers parading as preachers...whose gospel are they preaching? Another? cheesy grin
Re: 5 Protestants Who Surprisingly Defended Mary’s Perpetual Virginity by Ubenedictus(m): 11:32am On Dec 20, 2016
shadeyinka:

I wonder why this your statements are full of self. Since you know all, speakup.

Under what conditions should traditions replace the scriptures.

Just these 3 in one question?
Is Peter the first Pope?
If he is, why is he Married?
Shouldn't Popes be celebrate?

If you answer these three questions satisfactorily, then, you would have convinced me beyond all doubt that we can follow traditions as Authorities just like the Scriptures.

Other than that, you are just speaking from sentiments
I have asked u a question and u have not responded, 'where does d bible teach that it is d sole authority in christian issues?' and u have not answered that question instead u are expanding d issues into other topics. d topic is mary's virginity, d present tangent is scripture as sole authority. let us take it one at a time.

1 Like

Re: 5 Protestants Who Surprisingly Defended Mary’s Perpetual Virginity by Ubenedictus(m): 11:35am On Dec 20, 2016
shadeyinka:

Kindly furnish me with other recognized authorities and criteria for accepting them as representing scriptural truths?
please answer my questions first, dont jump them and paste urs.
THIS WERE MY QUESTION.
Where does d bible say that
scriptures is d sole authority on
christain issue?
What scripture support that?Where does d bible say that
scriptures is d sole authority on
christain issue?
What scripture support that?
Re: 5 Protestants Who Surprisingly Defended Mary’s Perpetual Virginity by Ubenedictus(m): 11:44am On Dec 20, 2016
shadeyinka:

"Major" is relative isn't it?
You will note that the church didn't split because of most of what you stated as "major issues".
Actually major isn't relative in those issue, they were so serious and widespread that a council had to be convocked, and arianism and d judiazer did split d church read up and arainism and d proof of d judaizers venom is found in scriptures in pauls epistles particularly in galatians where he call dem fools...etc for beliving d judaizer teaching.

Lastly my posts isnt about self but to show ur information is wrong, d church has no doctrine called d divinity of mary, such was not d topic of a council, and such a made-up topic didnt split d church.

1 Like

Re: 5 Protestants Who Surprisingly Defended Mary’s Perpetual Virginity by TheEminentLaity: 11:49am On Dec 20, 2016
shadeyinka:

Those who know Joseph, Mary and Jesus firsthand are the apostles, his disciples and foes alike. Most of the writings of the disciples are found in the new testament.
When you read an English translated Bible (probably retranslated hundreds of times) without context, and knowledge of Jewish traditions at the time it was written you then associate your understanding with your world view. The scriptures you quoted about brothers of Christ, did you read it in the original Greek and understand it with the knowledge of Jewish traditions to who is called brother? No. Don't you think other early Christians kept writings about Christ as well? John said if the works of Christ cannot be contained in a book. Early Christians kept writings of traditions and history when you bother to read them you can revisit all your comments here.

Wasn't there a time the whole world believes that the earth was flat? Its not about the population its about reasonable facts.
That the world was flat wasn't dogma. We also had been taught for ages that the atom is indivisible and indestructible. What is the reasonable fact about the Virginity of the Holy Mother without looking in context, reading these verses in original Greek and considering tradition of the Jews of the time, and testimony of people who actually knew them to arrive at a conclusion? [/quote]

I used 1Cor9:5 to correct a tradition which has come in much later from thos who knew the people in question. Traditions are OK only when they don't become a doctrinal issue.
First step of acquiring knowledge is by affirming that I know not anything. That way one can be open to knowledge without bias. You attempt to correct a tradition without knowing the traditions at the time the book you use to correct the tradition was written. grin Forgive my word play.

Your Christianity and intepretation is the one that came in much much later. A good start for you would be to ask why didn't my interpretation of the Virginity of Mary begin before the 19th century? What was the reason my church broke out from its mother church? When You begin to search for answers such as this you would get to the original doctrine that was '...handed over to the Saints and which doctrines are the 'another gospel' in Galatians.
Too much effort and volumes to read? Like I said before stick to what works for you.

Shalom to you
[/quote]
Re: 5 Protestants Who Surprisingly Defended Mary’s Perpetual Virginity by Ubenedictus(m): 1:21pm On Dec 20, 2016
shadeyinka:

You know that that is very wrong!
Yes, Peter has a mother in-law which implies that hebhas a wife. I have never heard a person call the in-law of ones brother mother in-law. Its an over stretch of basic logic.

Let me clear this with another scripture:

1 Corinthians 9:5
5 Don’t we have the right to take a believing wife along with us, as do the other apostles and the Lord’s brothers and Cephas?

I believe this has made it plane. And that is why traditions should not override the scriptures. Traditions could have been embellished along the line.

With love. Shalom
Be careful with that passage, the greek word there is ''adelphaen gynaika'' which literally means ''a sister- a woman'', christain have translated it so for 1500yrs before protestanism, paul was refering to d xtian women that went wit d apostles to provide for their needs like some women did for Jesus.

'a sister a wife' is a new translation began in d 1600s. be careful with it.
Re: 5 Protestants Who Surprisingly Defended Mary’s Perpetual Virginity by Ubenedictus(m): 1:49pm On Dec 20, 2016
JMAN05:

1cor 4:6
Webster's Bible Translation

And these things, brethren, I have in a figure transferred to myself, and to Apollos, for your sakes; that ye may learn in us not to think of men above that which is written, that no one of you on account of one, may be puffed up against another.
Re: 5 Protestants Who Surprisingly Defended Mary’s Perpetual Virginity by Ubenedictus(m): 1:50pm On Dec 20, 2016
Syncan:

Really shocked

Are you saying that you understood, what Paul wrote in 1cor 4:6 as a contradiction and nullification of, what he wrote in 2 Thess 2:15?
And these things, brethren, I have in a figure transferred to myself, and to Apollos, for your sakes; that ye may learn in us not to think of men above that which is written, that no one of you on account of one, may be puffed up against another.
Re: 5 Protestants Who Surprisingly Defended Mary’s Perpetual Virginity by Ubenedictus(m): 2:03pm On Dec 20, 2016
shadeyinka:

Just a few questions.

1. Do you know that Jesus had brothers and sisters (at least two of His younger brothers were named in the scriptures)?
unless u are using d word brother and sisters as d hebrews and suntimes nigerians do.

2. If Mary had other siblings, were they also immaculately conceived? (I.e. Joseph never ever slept with Mary)?
d question is wrong.

3. Is there any scriptural evidence to suggest the perpetual virginity of Mary?
yeah.

4. Suppose I say that Joseph was perpetually a virgin, would you agree?

I wish other Catholics will clear these questions above.

Cc: SalC
yeah, joseph was a virgin from when he maried mary till death parted them.
Re: 5 Protestants Who Surprisingly Defended Mary’s Perpetual Virginity by Ubenedictus(m): 2:07pm On Dec 20, 2016
shadeyinka:

All Human beings are fallible including the early protestant church fathers. My source is the Scriptures and testimonies from those who knew Jesus firsthand.

Other than this, one can always find people who could even say that Jesus was married and had one daughter.

So, my Bro, let's use the scriptures as the basis of our conclusions.
the problem is that, the teaching dat says scripture shuld b d sole authority 4 doctrines come from d reformer, if they are fallible as u claim then what else are they wrong about? maybe even sola scriptura
Re: 5 Protestants Who Surprisingly Defended Mary’s Perpetual Virginity by Syncan(m): 3:22pm On Dec 20, 2016
Ubenedictus:

Exactly.

That's why i wonder how he supposes it nullifies "Therefore, brethren, stand fast, and hold the traditions which ye have been taught, whether by word, or our epistle". 2Thess.2:15 (same Webster's Bible Translation)
Re: 5 Protestants Who Surprisingly Defended Mary’s Perpetual Virginity by shadeyinka(m): 10:01pm On Dec 20, 2016
Ubenedictus:
I have asked u a question and u have not responded, 'where does d bible teach that it is d sole authority in christian issues?' and u have not answered that question instead u are expanding d issues into other topics. d topic is mary's virginity, d present tangent is scripture as sole authority. let us take it one at a time.

I guess we can trade questions. I will answer this question
'where does d bible teach that tradition is d sole authority in christian issues?'

If this has an answer, I promise to answer yours.
(Note: the word "it " referring to the bible is replaced with "tradition".

The question I asked was to show that sometimes, traditions contradict the scriptures. When it happens like that, what should a christian follow?

Stay Blessed my Bro
Re: 5 Protestants Who Surprisingly Defended Mary’s Perpetual Virginity by shadeyinka(m): 11:15pm On Dec 20, 2016
Ubenedictus:
Be careful with that passage, the greek word there is ''adelphaen gynaika'' which literally means ''a sister- a woman'', christain have translated it so for 1500yrs before protestanism, paul was refering to d xtian women that went wit d apostles to provide for their needs like some women did for Jesus.

'a sister a wife' is a new translation began in d 1600s. be careful with it.

Thanks for the exposition. It helped me to check out the Greek words used.
adelphēn=ἀδελφὴν = a sister
gynaika=γυναῖκα =a wife

The first word isn't any problem adelphen is equivalent to the way we use the term brother or brethren in the fellowship or church. Sister in the Lord/Believing Sister

The contention is the word gynaika translated as wife. So, let's look at the other shades of meanings

Strongs Number: G1135

Orig: probably from the base of 1096; a woman; specially, a wife:--wife, woman. G1096

1) a woman of any age, whether a virgin, or married, or a widow
2) a wife: a woman bound in marriage
2a) a betrothed woman
2b) a married woman

Now, you see it can both be a woman (of any age or marital status or wife).

So, let's look at 53 examples of use in the scriptures: Sorry for the long cut and paste.

◄ γυναῖκά ►
Englishman's Concordance
γυναῖκά (gynaika) — 53 Occurrences

Matthew 1:20 N-AFS
GRK: Μαρίαν τὴν γυναῖκά σου τὸ
NAS: Mary as your wife; for the Child who
KJV: Mary thy wife: for
INT: Mary [as] the wife of you that which

Matthew 1:24 N-AFS
GRK: παρέλαβεν τὴν γυναῖκα αὐτοῦ
NAS: him, and took [Mary] as his wife,
KJV: took unto him his wife:
INT: took to [him] the wife of him

Matthew 5:28 N-AFS
GRK: ὁ βλέπων γυναῖκα πρὸς τὸ
NAS: who looks at a woman with lust
KJV: looketh on a woman to
INT: that looks upon a woman to

Matthew 5:31 N-AFS
GRK: ἀπολύσῃ τὴν γυναῖκα αὐτοῦ δότω
NAS: SENDS HIS WIFE AWAY,
KJV: his wife, let him give
INT: shall divorce the wife of him let him give

Matthew 5:32 N-AFS
GRK: ἀπολύων τὴν γυναῖκα αὐτοῦ παρεκτὸς
NAS: who divorces his wife, except
KJV: his wife, saving
INT: shall divorce the wife of him except

Matthew 14:3 N-AFS
GRK: Ἡρῳδιάδα τὴν γυναῖκα Φιλίππου τοῦ
NAS: of Herodias, the wife of his brother
KJV: brother Philip's wife.
INT: Herodias the wife of Philip the

Matthew 18:25 N-AFS
GRK: καὶ τὴν γυναῖκα καὶ τὰ
NAS: along with his wife and children
KJV: and his wife, and children,
INT: and the wife and the

Matthew 19:3 N-AFS
GRK: ἀπολῦσαι τὴν γυναῖκα αὐτοῦ κατὰ
NAS: [for a man] to divorce his wife for any
KJV: to put away his wife for every
INT: to divorce the a wife to him for

Matthew 19:9 N-AFS
GRK: ἀπολύσῃ τὴν γυναῖκα αὐτοῦ μὴ
NAS: divorces his wife, except
KJV: his wife, except
INT: shall divorce which wife of him except

Matthew 22:24 N-AFS
GRK: αὐτοῦ τὴν γυναῖκα αὐτοῦ καὶ
NAS: AS NEXT OF KIN SHALL MARRY HIS WIFE, AND RAISE
KJV: shall marry his wife, and raise up
INT: of him the wife of him and

Matthew 22:25 N-AFS
GRK: ἀφῆκεν τὴν γυναῖκα αὐτοῦ τῷ
NAS: children left his wife to his brother;
KJV: left his wife unto his brother:
INT: left the wife of him to the

Mark 6:17 N-AFS
GRK: Ἡρῳδιάδα τὴν γυναῖκα Φιλίππου τοῦ
NAS: of Herodias, the wife of his brother
KJV: Philip's wife: for
INT: Herodias the wife of Philip the

Mark 6:18 N-AFS
GRK: ἔχειν τὴν γυναῖκα τοῦ ἀδελφοῦ
NAS: for you to have your brother's wife.
KJV: thy brother's wife.
INT: to have the wife of the brother

Mark 10:2 N-AFS
GRK: ἔξεστιν ἀνδρὶ γυναῖκα ἀπολῦσαι πειράζοντες
NAS: for a man to divorce a wife.
KJV: to put away [his] wife? tempting
INT: it is lawful for a husband a wife to divorce testing

Mark 10:7 Noun-AFS
GRK: πρὸς τὴν γυναῖκα αὐτοῦ
INT: to the wife of him

Mark 10:11 N-AFS
GRK: ἀπολύσῃ τὴν γυναῖκα αὐτοῦ καὶ
NAS: divorces his wife and marries
KJV: shall put away his wife, and marry
INT: should divorce the wife of him and

Mark 12:19 N-AFS
GRK: καὶ καταλίπῃ γυναῖκα καὶ μὴ
NAS: and leaves behind a wife AND LEAVES
KJV: leave [his] wife [behind him], and
INT: and leave behind a wife and not

Mark 12:19 N-AFS
GRK: αὐτοῦ τὴν γυναῖκα καὶ ἐξαναστήσῃ
NAS: SHOULD MARRY THE WIFE AND RAISE
KJV: should take his wife, and raise up
INT: of him the wife and raise up

Mark 12:20 N-AFS
GRK: πρῶτος ἔλαβεν γυναῖκα καὶ ἀποθνήσκων
NAS: took a wife, and died
KJV: the first took a wife, and dying
INT: first took a wife and dying

Mark 12:23 N-AFS
GRK: ἔσχον αὐτὴν γυναῖκα
KJV: had her to wife.
INT: had her as wife

Luke 4:26 N-AFS
GRK: Σιδωνίας πρὸς γυναῖκα χήραν
NAS: [in the land] of Sidon, to a woman who was a widow.
KJV: unto a woman [that was] a widow.
INT: of Sidon to a woman widow

Luke 7:44 N-AFS
GRK: πρὸς τὴν γυναῖκα τῷ Σίμωνι
NAS: toward the woman, He said
KJV: to the woman, and said
INT: to the woman to Simon

Luke 7:44 N-AFS
GRK: ταύτην τὴν γυναῖκα εἰσῆλθόν σου
NAS: this woman? I entered
KJV: Seest thou this woman? I entered into
INT: this the woman I entered of you

Luke 7:50 N-AFS
GRK: πρὸς τὴν γυναῖκα Ἡ πίστις
NAS: And He said to the woman, Your faith
KJV: he said to the woman, Thy faith
INT: to the woman the faith

Luke 14:20 N-AFS
GRK: ἕτερος εἶπεν Γυναῖκα ἔγημα καὶ
NAS: I have married a wife, and for that reason
KJV: I have married a wife, and
INT: another said A wife I have married and

Luke 14:26 N-AFS
GRK: καὶ τὴν γυναῖκα καὶ τὰ
NAS: and mother and wife and children
KJV: mother, and wife, and children,
INT: and the wife and the

Luke 16:18 N-AFS
GRK: ἀπολύων τὴν γυναῖκα αὐτοῦ καὶ
NAS: who divorces his wife and marries
KJV: putteth away his wife, and marrieth
INT: puts away the wife of him and

Luke 18:29 N-AFS
GRK: οἰκίαν ἢ γυναῖκα ἢ ἀδελφοὺς
NAS: house or wife or brothers
KJV: brethren, or wife, or children,
INT: house or wife or brothers

Luke 20:28 N-AFS
GRK: ἀποθάνῃ ἔχων γυναῖκα καὶ οὗτος
NAS: having a wife, AND HE IS CHILDLESS,
KJV: die, having a wife, and he
INT: should die having a wife and he

Luke 20:28 N-AFS
GRK: αὐτοῦ τὴν γυναῖκα καὶ ἐξαναστήσῃ
NAS: SHOULD MARRY THE WIFE AND RAISE
KJV: should take his wife, and
INT: of him the wife and should raise up

Luke 20:29 N-AFS
GRK: πρῶτος λαβὼν γυναῖκα ἀπέθανεν ἄτεκνος
NAS: took a wife and died
KJV: took a wife, and died
INT: first having taken a wife died childless

Luke 20:30 Noun-AFS
GRK: δεύτερος τὴν γυναῖκα καὶ οὑτὸς
KJV: the second took her to wife, and he
INT: second as the wife and he

Luke 20:33 N-AFS
GRK: ἔσχον αὐτὴν γυναῖκα
INT: had her as wife

John 8:3 N-AFS
GRK: οἱ Φαρισαῖοι γυναῖκα ἐπὶ μοιχείᾳ
NAS: brought a woman caught
KJV: unto him a woman taken in
INT: the Pharisees a women in adultery

Acts 18:2 N-AFS
GRK: καὶ Πρίσκιλλαν γυναῖκα αὐτοῦ διὰ
NAS: from Italy with his wife Priscilla,
KJV: with his wife Priscilla; (because that
INT: and Priscilla wife of him because

1 Corinthians 5:1 N-AFS
GRK: ἔθνεσιν ὥστε γυναῖκά τινα τοῦ
NAS: has his father's wife.
KJV: should have his father's wife.
INT: pagans so as wife one of the

1 Corinthians 7:2 N-AFS
GRK: τὴν ἑαυτοῦ γυναῖκα ἐχέτω καὶ
NAS: his own wife, and each
KJV: have his own wife, and let
INT: one of himself wife let have and

1 Corinthians 7:10 N-AFS
GRK: ὁ κύριος γυναῖκα ἀπὸ ἀνδρὸς
NAS: not I, but the Lord, that the wife should not leave
KJV: Let not the wife depart from
INT: the Lord wife from husband

1 Corinthians 7:11 N-AFS
GRK: καὶ ἄνδρα γυναῖκα μὴ ἀφιέναι
NAS: should not divorce his wife.
KJV: the husband put away [his] wife.
INT: and husband wife not to leave

1 Corinthians 7:12 N-AFS
GRK: τις ἀδελφὸς γυναῖκα ἔχει ἄπιστον
NAS: has a wife who is an unbeliever,
KJV: hath a wife that believeth not,
INT: any brother wife has an unbelieving

1 Corinthians 7:16 N-AFS
GRK: εἰ τὴν γυναῖκα σώσεις
NAS: whether you will save your wife?
KJV: whether thou shalt save [thy] wife?
INT: if the wife you will save

1 Corinthians 7:27 N-AFS
GRK: μὴ ζήτει γυναῖκα
NAS: from a wife? Do not seek a wife.
KJV: seek not a wife.
INT: not seek a wife

1 Corinthians 9:5 N-AFS
GRK: ἐξουσίαν ἀδελφὴν γυναῖκα περιάγειν ὡς
NAS: a believing wife, even
KJV: a sister, a wife, as well as
INT: authority a sister a wife to take about as

1 Corinthians 11:9 N-AFS
GRK: διὰ τὴν γυναῖκα ἀλλὰ γυνὴ
NAS: was not created for the woman's sake,
KJV: created for the woman; but the woman
INT: on account of the woman but woman

1 Corinthians 11:13 N-AFS
GRK: πρέπον ἐστὶν γυναῖκα ἀκατακάλυπτον τῷ
NAS: is it proper for a woman to pray
KJV: comely that a woman pray
INT: becoming is it for a woman revealed

Ephesians 5:28 N-AFS
GRK: τὴν ἑαυτοῦ γυναῖκα ἑαυτὸν ἀγαπᾷ
NAS: his own wife loves
KJV: his wife loveth
INT: the of himself wife himself loves

Ephesians 5:31 N-AFS
GRK: πρὸς τὴν γυναῖκα αὐτοῦ καὶ
NAS: AND SHALL BE JOINED TO HIS WIFE, AND THE TWO
KJV: unto his wife, and they two
INT: to the wife of him and

Ephesians 5:33 N-AFS
GRK: τὴν ἑαυτοῦ γυναῖκα οὕτως ἀγαπάτω
NAS: his own wife even as himself,
KJV: love his wife even as himself;
INT: the of himself wife so let love

Revelation 2:20 N-AFS
GRK: ἀφεῖς τὴν γυναῖκα Ἰεζάβελ ἡ
NAS: you, that you tolerate the woman Jezebel,
KJV: thou sufferest that woman Jezebel,
INT: you tolerate the woman Jezebel her who

Revelation 12:13 N-AFS
GRK: ἐδίωξεν τὴν γυναῖκα ἥτις ἔτεκεν
NAS: he persecuted the woman who
KJV: he persecuted the woman which
INT: he persecuted the woman which brought forth

Revelation 17:3 N-AFS
GRK: καὶ εἶδον γυναῖκα καθημένην ἐπὶ
NAS: and I saw a woman sitting
KJV: and I saw a woman sit upon
INT: and I saw a woman sitting upon

Revelation 17:6 N-AFS
GRK: εἶδον τὴν γυναῖκα μεθύουσαν ἐκ
NAS: And I saw the woman drunk
KJV: And I saw the woman drunken with
INT: I saw the woman drunk with

Revelation 21:9 N-AFS
GRK: νύμφην τὴν γυναῖκα τοῦ ἀρνίου
NAS: you the bride, the wife of the Lamb.

Do you sincerely believe that it was a mistranslation to call it WIFE?

If the greek text used only the word adelphēn, you would have been correct but NO, the word gynaika was used to show that its not just a sister in the Lord but a wife.

Sorry for the long post
Re: 5 Protestants Who Surprisingly Defended Mary’s Perpetual Virginity by shadeyinka(m): 11:48pm On Dec 20, 2016
TheEminentLaity:

When you read an English translated Bible (probably retranslated hundreds of times) without context, and knowledge of Jewish traditions at the time it was written you then associate your understanding with your world view. The scriptures you quoted about brothers of Christ, did you read it in the original Greek and understand it with the knowledge of Jewish traditions to who is called brother? No. Don't you think other early Christians kept writings about Christ as well? John said if the works of Christ cannot be contained in a book. Early Christians kept writings of traditions and history when you bother to read them you can revisit all your comments here.

That the world was flat wasn't dogma. We also had been taught for ages that the atom is indivisible and indestructible. What is the reasonable fact about the Virginity of the Holy Mother without looking in context, reading these verses in original Greek and considering tradition of the Jews of the time, and testimony of people who actually knew them to arrive at a conclusion?

I used 1Cor9:5 to correct a tradition which has come in much later from thos who knew the people in question. Traditions are OK only when they don't become a doctrinal issue.
First step of acquiring knowledge is by affirming that I know not anything. That way one can be open to knowledge without bias. You attempt to correct a tradition without knowing the traditions at the time the book you use to correct the tradition was written. grin Forgive my word play.

Your Christianity and intepretation is the one that came in much much later. A good start for you would be to ask why didn't my interpretation of the Virginity of Mary begin before the 19th century? What was the reason my church broke out from its mother church? When You begin to search for answers such as this you would get to the original doctrine that was '...handed over to the Saints and which doctrines are the 'another gospel' in Galatians.
Too much effort and volumes to read? Like I said before stick to what works for you.

Shalom to you

The problem of tradition isnt recent. I present some scriptures to show how traditions should be treated with respect to the scriptures.

If there is any tradition to be followed, it should be the traditions in the scriptures. Isnt that why the scripture contain records of events?

Mark 7:6-9 (NIV)
6 He replied, “Isaiah was right when he prophesied about you hypocrites; as it is written:

“‘These people honor me with their lips,
    but their hearts are far from me.
7 They worship me in vain;
    their teachings are merely human rules.
8 You have let go of the commands of God and are holding on to human traditions.”
9 And he continued, “You have a fine way of setting aside the commands of God in order to observe your own traditions!

Matthew 15:3 (NIV)

3 Jesus replied, “And why do you break the command of God for the sake of your tradition?

Colossians 2:8 (NIV)
8 See to it that no one takes you captive through hollow and deceptive philosophy,which depends on human tradition and the elemental spiritual forces of this world rather than on Christ.

Mark 7:8 (NIV)
8 You have let go of the commands of God and are holding on to human traditions.

Traditions are not evil, traditions must just not replace or override the scriptures. Traditions could be embellished.

Have you heard the tradition that Jesus and Mary Magdalene married, had a daughter, lived in India and their daughters bloodline runs in the kings of Europe.

Of course, its not true BUT it is one of the traditions spread by the enemies of the gospel.

How would one know that the above tradition is incorrect? By checking it out with the scriptures and not interpreting the scriptures to suit the tradition.

1 Like

Re: 5 Protestants Who Surprisingly Defended Mary’s Perpetual Virginity by Ubenedictus(m): 11:18am On Dec 21, 2016
shadeyinka:

I guess we can trade questions. I will answer this question
'where does d bible teach that tradition is d sole authority in christian issues?'
this is a case of argueing with yourself. nobody here has taught that tradition is a sole authority, i do not share such a belief that there exists a sole authority in tradition or d bible. Instead u and ur friends claimed that the sole authority is d bible. Where does d bible say so, where does it support u. U have d burden of proof.

If this has an answer, I promise to answer yours.

The question I asked was to show that sometimes, traditions contradict the scriptures. When it happens like that, what should a christian follow?
in matters of doctrine, scriptures does not contradict sacred tradition, it doesnt happen. if one think he has found such a case then he must assume he isnt reading d tradition correctly or misinterpreting d bible or it is a matter of discipline not doctrine.

1 Like

Re: 5 Protestants Who Surprisingly Defended Mary’s Perpetual Virginity by shadeyinka(m): 1:10pm On Dec 21, 2016
Ubenedictus:
this is a case of argueing with yourself. nobody here has taught that tradition is a sole authority, i do not share such a belief that there exists a sole authority in tradition or d bible. Instead u and ur friends claimed that the sole authority is d bible. Where does d bible say so, where does it support u. U have d burden of proof.

in matters of doctrine, scriptures does not contradict sacred tradition, it doesnt happen. if one think he has found such a case then he must assume he isnt reading d tradition correctly or misinterpreting d bible or it is a matter of discipline not doctrine.

Its actually the reverse, sacred traditions MUST not contradict the scripture.

On traditions, I am sure you know that there is what is called traditions of Men; how does a person recognize that which is from men and that which originates from God.

Isn't it safe to base ALL traditions either on that which the apostles WROTE down or clearly unambiguous traditions that confirm the LOGOS.

But actually the scriptures should be the sole authority. That is why in the court of law, the constitution (written down legal tender) is the final authority. We can have traditional laws BUT they must bow to the constitution else chaos will result. So it is with Scriptures and Traditions.

Traditions are not evil but they cannot have weights outside the scriptures.
Re: 5 Protestants Who Surprisingly Defended Mary’s Perpetual Virginity by sonmvayina(m): 1:53pm On Dec 21, 2016
Who is the famous prost.tute in the book of revelation?
Re: 5 Protestants Who Surprisingly Defended Mary’s Perpetual Virginity by sonmvayina(m): 1:55pm On Dec 21, 2016
I know for 100% sure she is the ""light bearer",,,and a sworn enemy of the almighty God..
Re: 5 Protestants Who Surprisingly Defended Mary’s Perpetual Virginity by sonmvayina(m): 1:57pm On Dec 21, 2016
Jesus is according to the same bible...the light of the world.
Re: 5 Protestants Who Surprisingly Defended Mary’s Perpetual Virginity by Ubenedictus(m): 2:21pm On Dec 21, 2016
shadeyinka:

Its actually the reverse, sacred traditions MUST not contradict the scripture.

On traditions, I am sure you know that there is what is called traditions of Men; how does a person recognize that which is from men and that which originates from God.

Isn't it safe to base ALL traditions either on that which the apostles WROTE down or clearly unambiguous traditions that confirm the LOGOS.

But actually the scriptures should be the sole authority. That is why in the court of law, the constitution (written down legal tender) is the final authority. We can have traditional laws BUT they must bow to the constitution else chaos will result. So it is with Scriptures and Traditions.

Traditions are not evil but they cannot have weights outside the scriptures.
I wanted to respond to ur two posts when i remembered, u still havent answered my question. what passage teach that scripture should b d sole authority?

stop playing hide and seek.

1 Like

Re: 5 Protestants Who Surprisingly Defended Mary’s Perpetual Virginity by Ubenedictus(m): 2:53pm On Dec 21, 2016
shadeyinka:

It helped me to check out the Greek words used.
adelphēn=ἀδελφὴν = a sister
gynaika=γυναῖκα =a wife
The first meaning for gynaika in any concordance is woman.
guné: a woman
Original Word: γυνή, αικός, ἡ
Part of Speech: Noun, Feminine
Transliteration: guné
Phonetic Spelling: (goo-nay')
Short Definition: a woman, wife, my lady Definition: a woman, wife, my lady.
NAS Exhaustive Concordance
Word Origin
a prim. word
Definition
a woman

Now the question, if d first meaning and definition is always woman in concordance but may sumtimes b 'wife', or 'lady', or even a 'woman's' and maybe a widow how then do the translators determine which meaning to use? the answer is CONTEXT. If the passage has qualifiers before gynaika, like his, whose, thy...or in a context of marriage then the translators write wife.

a good question u should ask urself is what context neccesitate that translation? why have all translations before 1600 use woman not wife?
Re: 5 Protestants Who Surprisingly Defended Mary’s Perpetual Virginity by Ubenedictus(m): 3:15pm On Dec 21, 2016
shadeyinka:

1) a woman of any age, whether a virgin, or married, or a widow
2) a wife: a woman bound in marriage
2a) a betrothed woman
2b) a married woman

Now, you see it can both be a woman (of any age or marital status or wife).
so why do u prefer wife to woman in this case when d context doesnt even suggest it.

So, let's look at 53 examples of use in the scriptures: Sorry for the long cut and paste.
actually it appears about 220+ times and translated woman abt 120+ times and wife 90+ times when d context suggest such. in this instance d context doesnt suggest a wife

Do you sincerely believe that it was a mistranslation to call it WIFE?
i think it was translated according to d translator whim. because all d most ancient translations read a woman who is a sister (i.e a christian woman) for over 1600yrs and d new translation began with protestanism who wanted to use it as a justification for their practices.
Re: 5 Protestants Who Surprisingly Defended Mary’s Perpetual Virginity by Geist(m): 3:23pm On Dec 21, 2016
@shadeyinka, I think it will also be fair to state what you take to be Scriptures. This is because I know many books were written, many of which claimed to be written by the apostles or their followers. Some of these books were rejected as false and out right lies. could you explain how these books were scrutinized and some accepted while other were rejected as false without the help of the tradition of the church?

1 Like

Re: 5 Protestants Who Surprisingly Defended Mary’s Perpetual Virginity by Ubenedictus(m): 3:33pm On Dec 21, 2016
The Real Meaning of Adelphên Gunaika

Gunaika (the accusative or objective form of gunê ) can mean both “a woman” and “a
wife". To avoid any ambiguity as to the
meaning, Saint Paul qualified the word gunaika with the word

adelphên (the objective form of adelphê ), which means “a sister,” thus making a composite expression translating
literally into “a sister woman.”

To understand this a little cultural and historical gloss is helpful. Among the Jews, it was the custom for pious ladies to follow their spiritual masters to aid them in their domestic needs. The Gospels record the fact that pious women followed Jesus and served Him.
"And certain women who had been healed of evil spirits and infirmities: Mary who is called Magdalene, out of whom seven devils were gone forth, and Joanna the wife of Chusa, Herod’s steward, and Susanna, and many others who ministered unto Him of their substance" (lk 8:2-3).

To b contd
Re: 5 Protestants Who Surprisingly Defended Mary’s Perpetual Virginity by Ubenedictus(m): 3:45pm On Dec 21, 2016
mathew says the same:
''And there were there many women afar off, who had followed Jesus from Galilee, ministering unto Him; among whom was Mary Magdalene, and Mary the mother of James and Joseph, and the mother of the sons of Zebedee (27:55-56).

The Greek word employed by both Matthew and Luke referring to these pious women who followed and served Our Lord is the same word used by Saint Paul: gunaikes None of the exegetes thought of translating the expression as “wives.”
Returning to Saint Paul, the context of the Epistle to the Corinthians does not
warrant any conclusion that the
Apostle was claiming some right to take a wife with him since a little earlier (7:7-cool, he had made clear that he was not married and had no intention to marry. He preferred perfect chastity to the married state which he, nonetheless, held in high esteem. In that passage, addressing
both the single and widowed, he writes:
to be contd
Re: 5 Protestants Who Surprisingly Defended Mary’s Perpetual Virginity by Ubenedictus(m): 4:08pm On Dec 21, 2016
For I would that all men were even as myself : but every one hath his proper gift from God; one after this manner, and another after that. But I say to the unmarried, and
to the widows: It is good for them if they so continue, even as I.

Since paul has already made it clear that he wasnt married and had no intention to do so, why then will he be argueing about his right to take along a wife? that translation doesnt fit the context.
the sentence before it says "have we not a right to eat and drink?" then he says 'have we not a right to take along adephen gynaika...? are barnabas and i the only ones who have a right to stop working? what soldier will serve the army at his own expense?"

From the verses that preceed and those that follows we can deduce the clear context, paul was talking about his right to be cared for without any expense, not abt a right to marry but to be accompained by a christian sister to care for his material needs.
To be contd
Re: 5 Protestants Who Surprisingly Defended Mary’s Perpetual Virginity by Ubenedictus(m): 5:20pm On Dec 21, 2016
It becomes even more interesting that the said passage has always been translated 'a sister, a woman' untill the 1600s with the advent of protestanism, that means d change was motivated and influenced by protestant teaching.

early christians and scripture commentator who actually spoke greek comment on d passage.
St. Augustine, The Work of Monks 2 wrote: When his identity has been
established, he [Paul] shows that the privileges granted to the other apostles are his also, namely, exemption from manual labor and
livelihood in recompense for his preaching as the Lord appointed.
This is stated most clearly according to the verses where St.
Paul argues explicitly that faithful women, possessing the goods of
this world, went along with the apostles and ministered to them
from their own supplies that the
servants of God might lack none
of those commodities which
constitute the necessities of
life… . Certain persons, not understanding this passage, have
interpreted it as “wife.
Re: 5 Protestants Who Surprisingly Defended Mary’s Perpetual Virginity by Ubenedictus(m): 5:34pm On Dec 21, 2016
Geist:
@shadeyinka, I think it will also be fair to state what you take to be Scriptures. This is because I know many books were written, many of which claimed to be written by the apostles or their followers. Some of these books were rejected as false and out right lies. could you explain how these books were scrutinized and some accepted while other were rejected as false without the help of the tradition of the church?
he hasnt told us where d bible says it is d sole authority, i doubt he will respond to this.

3 Likes

Re: 5 Protestants Who Surprisingly Defended Mary’s Perpetual Virginity by shadeyinka(m): 5:53pm On Dec 21, 2016
Ubenedictus:
I wanted to respond to ur two posts when i remembered, u still havent answered my question. what passage teach that scripture should b d sole authority?

stop playing hide and seek.

Your question is like asking the question "where does the bible say thous shalt not sniff cocaine!".

I ignored the question unless you can find scripture also to support traditions overriding scriptures as authority.

However, there are several warnings against traditions creeping into the church. Traditions with no basis on what Jesus or the apostles taught.

Examples:

Mark 7:6-9 (NIV)
6 He replied, “Isaiah was right when he prophesied about you hypocrites; as it is written:

“‘These people honor me with their lips,
    but their hearts are far from me.
7 They worship me in vain;
    their teachings are merely human rules.
8 You have let go of the commands of God and are holding on to human traditions.”
9 And he continued, “You have a fine way of setting aside the commands of God in order to observe your own traditions!

Matthew 15:3 (NIV)

3 Jesus replied, “And why do you break the command of God for the sake of your tradition?

Colossians 2:8 (NIV)
8 See to it that no one takes you captive through hollow and deceptive philosophy,which depends on human tradition and the elemental spiritual forces of this world rather than on Christ.

Mark 7:8 (NIV)
8 You have let go of the commands of God and are holding on to human traditions.

Instead the Bible says:
◄ 2 Timothy 3:16 ►

New International Version

All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness,

New Living Translation
All Scripture is inspired by God and is useful to teach us what is true and to make us realize what is wrong in our lives. It corrects us when we are wrong and teaches us to do what is right.

English Standard Version
All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness,

NOT all Traditions useful for teaching, reprogg, correction and training in righteousness.

So, at least you can see what the scriptures (and not traditions) is expected to be used for
Re: 5 Protestants Who Surprisingly Defended Mary’s Perpetual Virginity by Ubenedictus(m): 8:51pm On Dec 21, 2016
shadeyinka:

Your question is like asking the question "where does the bible say thous shalt not sniff cocaine!".

I ignored the question unless you can find scripture also to support traditions overriding scriptures as authority.

However, there are several warnings against traditions creeping into the church. Traditions with no basis on what Jesus or the apostles taught.

Examples:

Instead the Bible says:
◄ 2 Timothy 3:16 ►

New International Version

All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness,

New Living Translation
All Scripture is inspired by God and is useful to teach us what is true and to make us realize what is wrong in our lives. It corrects us when we are wrong and teaches us to do what is right.
so there is no passage that imply dat d bible is d sole authority abi?
Re: 5 Protestants Who Surprisingly Defended Mary’s Perpetual Virginity by shadeyinka(m): 10:16pm On Dec 21, 2016
Ubenedictus:

The first meaning for gynaika in any concordance is woman.
guné: a woman
Original Word: γυνή, αικός, ἡ
Part of Speech: Noun, Feminine
Transliteration: guné
Phonetic Spelling: (goo-nay')
Short Definition: a woman, wife, my lady Definition: a woman, wife, my lady.
NAS Exhaustive Concordance
Word Origin
a prim. word
Definition
a woman

Now the question, if d first meaning and definition is always woman in concordance but may sumtimes b 'wife', or 'lady', or even a 'woman's' and maybe a widow how then do the translators determine which meaning to use? the answer is CONTEXT. If the passage has qualifiers before gynaika, like his, whose, thy...or in a context of marriage then the translators write wife.

a good question u should ask urself is what context neccesitate that translation? why have all translations before 1600 use woman not wife?

I gave 53 scriptures for your perusal of the forms of the use of gynaika. Its enough to eraze any bias

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

My Friend Is a Devoted Christian But Flirts Around / Prophet Alfa Babatunde Finally Confessed / 6000 Romans Bow Before A Piece Of Decayed Meat.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 142
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.