Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,334 members, 7,811,976 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 03:39 AM

HiTV Wins Another Bid For EPL Right Till 2013 - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / HiTV Wins Another Bid For EPL Right Till 2013 (6971 Views)

Nominees For EPL Player And Manager Of The Month Awards / The End Of Hitv - Multichoice/dstv Wins Back Epl Coverage Rights In Nigeria / Arsenal Wins Another Trophy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: HiTV Wins Another Bid For EPL Right Till 2013 by koyuid(m): 4:39pm On Nov 24, 2009
With the amount of money HITV is paying for these rights i just hope they dont go the way of setanta or gtv!
Re: HiTV Wins Another Bid For EPL Right Till 2013 by temmytanny(m): 4:52pm On Nov 24, 2009
dats my fear too but this HITV guys have strong hold from above(GOVT).

they forced EPL to break regions into 3(b4 it was 2-south africa and africa,now it nigeria,south africa and africa)

they also influenced the right to be 100%.
Re: HiTV Wins Another Bid For EPL Right Till 2013 by delegiwa(m): 5:42pm On Nov 24, 2009
I recall how grainy DSTV used to be in those very early days and we still kept faith with them. As the years rolled by, more channels were added and the pictures became clearer and it got to what it is now. We paid all what we were asked to pay from then till date. HiTV is not up 4 yrs and I'm sure the quality of their pictures will improve in due course. I suggest we give them a little more time to get their acts together.

, and I am so happy for them!
Re: HiTV Wins Another Bid For EPL Right Till 2013 by novaman: 6:01pm On Nov 24, 2009
The success of HITV mean more job creations for Nigerians; OH! most people think those working for DSTV at their V.I. Office are full time worker, well they are wrong as most of them are contract workers, and some posted by their banks just to collect money; but at HITV Ikorodu Base Station, Ikeja, V.I. Ebute Meta etc you will find Nigerians majority of them are working directly with HITV.

For those of us who love the Nigerian League, we should try to encourage HITV and at the same time advice them to see what they can do for the local league; since DSTV already have the premier league, HITV could try to see if they can secure the national and transform it into a lucrative league and force the NFF and NPL to make sure that the local league is played on the world cup pitches. We have to be constructive in our post not just condemning all the time, you have to contribute we are all Nigerians and we should think like good people from a great nation.
Re: HiTV Wins Another Bid For EPL Right Till 2013 by vikiviko(m): 6:35pm On Nov 24, 2009
HITV is getting more strong these days.
Re: HiTV Wins Another Bid For EPL Right Till 2013 by dancewith: 7:19pm On Nov 24, 2009
I still remember the last time i was in naija, DSTV still blinks and goes off during rainy weather. Now thats 'good' service. Maybe someone need to remind them that thats 19th century technology. I wonder if they use this type of technology in South Africa. I doubt that. As for HITV, they just have to improve as I am aware other Nigerian Pay TV are gearing up to challenge them come 2013. Good Luck
Re: HiTV Wins Another Bid For EPL Right Till 2013 by abhosts(m): 8:39pm On Nov 24, 2009
To be sincere to DSTV, leaving the EPL Nigerian Rights to HITV was the right move. Why spend so much when they know that Nigerians will still subscribe to their service anyway? Many Homes in Nigeria now have both DSTV(For Premium Entertainment) and HITV(For Football). The EPL football right is a do-or-die affair for HITV as many people will see no use for them without Football.

HITV's Entry has actually made Pay TV more expensive for Nigerians. With DSTV Nigerians got everything for 9k but HITV has made that rise to 9k + 6k = 15k.
Re: HiTV Wins Another Bid For EPL Right Till 2013 by basamta: 9:59pm On Nov 24, 2009
DSTV ripped us off, HITV is wack!!!!!!
maybe EPL should just go directly to local TV sef, then, , i go remain with my LTV
no lele
Re: HiTV Wins Another Bid For EPL Right Till 2013 by mamagee3(f): 2:57am On Nov 25, 2009
Everything in Nigeria is extended. angry angry
How about doing it now
? undecided
Re: HiTV Wins Another Bid For EPL Right Till 2013 by stede(m): 4:14am On Nov 25, 2009
hi tv, is stepping up. it is just that hitv does not ve some stations on dstv,
Re: HiTV Wins Another Bid For EPL Right Till 2013 by davidif: 6:14am On Nov 25, 2009
[size=18pt]THIS A CLASSIC EXAMPLE OF WHY PROTECTIONISM IS BAD FOR ANY COUNTRY.[/size] Why must Nigerians be subjected to mediocre products because the product is "truly Nigerian"? In capitalism the best products survive in a competitive enviroment and the substandard products are phased out.
Re: HiTV Wins Another Bid For EPL Right Till 2013 by wizsultan: 8:14am On Nov 25, 2009
davidif:

[size=18pt]THIS A CLASSIC EXAMPLE OF WHY PROTECTIONISM IS BAD FOR ANY COUNTRY.[/size] Why must Nigerians be subjected to mediocre products because the product is "truly Nigerian"? In capitalism the best products survive in a competitive enviroment and the substandard products are phased out.

GBAM!!!
na only ur post i dey see 4 this thread!!!
Re: HiTV Wins Another Bid For EPL Right Till 2013 by GeorgeD1(m): 8:47am On Nov 25, 2009
"HiTV Wins Another Bid For EPL Right Till 2013" yes, we can shout hurraaaaayyyy! but at what cost? they secured 80% of the rights last two seasons and because of the exorbitant price they paid, they increased subscription almost 50% driving away almost all their customers. when they saw that their revenue base was fast eroding, they resulted to arm-twisting tactics of monitoring viewing centres and hotels. now they have gone to dump another stagerring amount in the hands of epl. i won't be surprised to see their subscription go up to 8k or even 10k a month.
seems to me hitv was set up just to be an apendage of english soccer!
Re: HiTV Wins Another Bid For EPL Right Till 2013 by kehindebad(m): 10:31am On Nov 25, 2009
Congrats HITV,
May God Bless the work of your hands,

If you don't like it,
you can switch to DSTV or better still establish a cable company
and bid grin grin grin

or go to the top of your building and dive down, head 1st
so you'll be safe from all the misery wink wink wink
Re: HiTV Wins Another Bid For EPL Right Till 2013 by GeorgeD1(m): 10:50am On Nov 25, 2009
by all means, they should keep making epl rich with their football and only football mentality. they channel 95% of their revenue pursuing rights to epl as if satellite tv broadcasting starts and ends with english soccer. what happens to other programmes? is every subscriber a football fan? that is the question begging for answer.

and i tell you my friend, unless hitv wakes up to the fact that they must provide a more balanced package for their subscribers outside english soccer, i don't see them overtaking dstv in the nearest future.

and as for diving down a building, that is hardly neccessary as we have ways of making companies like this sit up. this time around, they will need to do more than policing viewing centres and hotels when they eventually raise their subscription fees again-as sure they will! smiley
Re: HiTV Wins Another Bid For EPL Right Till 2013 by microgiant: 11:15am On Nov 25, 2009
baron2000:

When Glo started they had hitches. Now they are world class. People who constructively criticize are people who do not even know how to set up a simple town hall meeting.

PROUDLY NIGERIAN, LONG LIVE HITV

so constructive criticisms is now bad, was glo countering/quarrelling or they improved their system
Re: HiTV Wins Another Bid For EPL Right Till 2013 by Akainzo(m): 11:18am On Nov 25, 2009
HITV is definitely NOT making the best business decisions. They have premised their success on the perceived craze for Nigerians to watch EPL matches Live. Their initial gamble has not paid off and resulted in them hiking price by 50%. Now that they have evn paid much more money for the 100%, how do they plan to recover the investment? Through another hike in subscription I guess.

Well, in comparison to DSTV, they have only increased prices by 30% between 2004 and today, that is a 30% increase in 5 years! But what is the increase in the number of channels? They have gone from 30 channels in 2004 to 120 channels in 2009, that is a wopping 400% increase.

Now compare it to the channel increases for HiTV in their 4 years and the subscription increases. It shows the business sense and the value they place on retaining customers, while striving to improve service.

A payTV is not based on Football matches alone, ask Setanta Sports.

BTW, HiTV would do with investing in their bouquets and even EPL transmissions.
Re: HiTV Wins Another Bid For EPL Right Till 2013 by GTay(m): 11:46am On Nov 25, 2009
vislabraye:

How can they all have equal rights to air the same program? Exclusivity pays

It pays the Pay TV company , It does not pay the subscribers in any way!
Must we buy decoders for all the pay-tv companies to have access to these (so-called) exclusive content?
Re: HiTV Wins Another Bid For EPL Right Till 2013 by GTay(m): 11:50am On Nov 25, 2009
George_D:

and i tell you my friend, unless hitv wakes up to the fact that they must provide a more balanced package for their subscribers outside english soccer, i don't see them overtaking dstv in the nearest future.

Exactly my point, cool
Re: HiTV Wins Another Bid For EPL Right Till 2013 by Nobody: 11:52am On Nov 25, 2009
[size=50pt][/size]SUPPORT THEM TO BE THE BEST. U PREFER SOUTH AFRICA DRAINING US LIKE MTN ABI?

UNTIL I BECOME PRESIDENT UNA GO BELIEVE WETIN I GO DO ALL THIS COMPANIES
Re: HiTV Wins Another Bid For EPL Right Till 2013 by GTay(m): 2:49pm On Nov 25, 2009
^^^ It is not about S.A, DSTV, HITV, DAARSAT

Its about getting value for your money!

If i pay 6k, or 4.5k or 9k I need to know what exactly i'm paying said amount for? and if exactly its' worth it for me and family (also visitors etc)
Re: HiTV Wins Another Bid For EPL Right Till 2013 by GeorgeD1(m): 8:28pm On Nov 25, 2009
i couldn't agree with you more, GTay. getting value for money is all we're talking about here.
Re: HiTV Wins Another Bid For EPL Right Till 2013 by Boboribo: 9:08pm On Nov 25, 2009
When this out -of-sorts business model of HITV comes crumbling down in n distant time, those of you giving kudos to them will be the first to laugh at their misery. If you know Toyin advise him to invest wisely. Cable business is not all about sports ( nay football).
Re: HiTV Wins Another Bid For EPL Right Till 2013 by init4dmoni(m): 9:38pm On Nov 25, 2009
GOD FORBID BAD THING !!!!!!!!!!!
thank God i'm leaving 4 canada in 6 months
this countries corruption is taking another level i hope this hitv shitty people die and burn in hell
for now i'm forced to pay for their shitty service
we should plan a riot  angry !!!!!!
Re: HiTV Wins Another Bid For EPL Right Till 2013 by GeorgeD1(m): 8:05am On Nov 26, 2009
noboby has to 'force' someone to pay for a service that is below par. remember, we are supposed to be living in a free country.
Re: HiTV Wins Another Bid For EPL Right Till 2013 by Feelitx(m): 10:08am On Nov 26, 2009
Whats all this talk about patriotism? I am very supportive of any nigerian brand that places a premuim on excellence.Why should we pay that much for HITV's very poor services? As much as I want to patronise nigerian brands,I want to get value for my money. I don't care who wins the exclusive rights as far as the service is commiserate with the service. I wish HiTv will spend its present energies on upgrading its very poor services.
Re: HiTV Wins Another Bid For EPL Right Till 2013 by EdetOkon: 1:52pm On Nov 26, 2009
Congrats HiTv, Please improve your service and add more channels.
Re: HiTV Wins Another Bid For EPL Right Till 2013 by EdetOkon: 2:02pm On Nov 26, 2009
koyuid:

With the amount of money HITV is paying for these rights i just hope they dont go the way of setanta or gtv!

You share the same concerns with me, I hope they don't go down. It's over-spending on football alone that made gtv go down. I don't know who advises HiTv, its not only football nay sports that will make a Satellite Tv company have many subscribers. Lets not forget that people watch more movies than they watch football. I just don't know whats wrong with HiTV, they know that they have this problem of people having the perception that HiTv is SPORT only yet they've refused to target and solve the problem.
Re: HiTV Wins Another Bid For EPL Right Till 2013 by GeorgeD1(m): 5:10pm On Nov 26, 2009
call it management complacency, edet okon.
Re: HiTV Wins Another Bid For EPL Right Till 2013 by Obeto(m): 8:43pm On Nov 26, 2009
This is a sad news? I smell some foul play in this. I don't really care what u think, but I know something is not just right. HiTV have not started, let alone reaching there.
Re: HiTV Wins Another Bid For EPL Right Till 2013 by blacklion(m): 2:35am On Nov 27, 2009
HiTV's business model is a classic example of the typical 'proudly Nigerian' mentality i.e. 'me too' and 'get-rich-quick'
Subair and cohorts saw how much patronage DSTV was getting and (like typical Nigerians), they assumed that football is the magical money spinner. They borrowed money from banks and dived into pay TV business with the idea that Nigerians will overlook poor quality grainy broadcasts and lousy customer service just because we like soccer so much. They just simply assumed that since many Nigerians are football crazy, they would make a fortune and overtake DSTV in shortest time.

What the get-rich-quick dolts at HITV did not realize is that while soccer alone will get Dad to cough out to install DSTV, it is the movies and cartoons that will make Mom and kids to prevail on Dad to keep paying every month for the premium bouquet on DSTV. DSTV is a complete entertainment package that is ideal for a family man. You watch your sports and news while the wife and kids watch their own channels; even better if you have dual view decoder.
Right now, many homes are forced to have both DSTV and HITV just so that the wife and kids can enjoy movies and entertainment plus news and documentaries for the man while the bobo watches sports on HITV. What a redundant waste.

Meanwhile, DSTV have realized that football alone is not a do or die business. Despite losing the EPL and UCL rights, DSTV is still surviving on its movie, news, documentary and other entertainment channels and even waxing stronger. They will not collapse simply because they refused to pay exorbitant prices for EPL and UCL.

HITV has none of the features that make cable TV interesting. No programme guide. No broadcast schedule. Nothing. Zilch. Just to broadcast the sports feeds from the foreign broadcasters. They look just like NTA or LTV. Cheap and tacky. No class at all. No wonder their head office is at Ebutte Metta instead of VI or Ikeja. The owners of HITV are razz and that's why they feel comfortable staying among their razz people and broadcasting cheap, tacky nonsense.

Its just a matter of time before they collapse like Setanta and GTV. Hopefully, DSTV will take back the rights and I will happily dash away my nonsense HITV decoder and dish.
Re: HiTV Wins Another Bid For EPL Right Till 2013 by GTay(m): 9:24am On Nov 27, 2009
^^^ WORD! wink

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Chelsea Vs Blackburn [5 - 0] On Saturday 25th October / Liverpool Vs Basel: UCL ( 1 - 1) oN 9th December 2014 / Liverpool Vs Manchester United (1 - 1) On Saturday 15th October 2011

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.