Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,332 members, 7,811,973 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 03:24 AM

HiTV Wins Another Bid For EPL Right Till 2013 - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / HiTV Wins Another Bid For EPL Right Till 2013 (6970 Views)

Nominees For EPL Player And Manager Of The Month Awards / The End Of Hitv - Multichoice/dstv Wins Back Epl Coverage Rights In Nigeria / Arsenal Wins Another Trophy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: HiTV Wins Another Bid For EPL Right Till 2013 by davidif: 3:08am On Nov 28, 2009
blacklion
Thank goodness for your wisdom jare. I was beginning to give up on that useless country, its people like you who make me to keep holding on.
Re: HiTV Wins Another Bid For EPL Right Till 2013 by GeorgeD1(m): 1:18pm On Nov 28, 2009
blacklion i wish hitv management will read this!
Re: HiTV Wins Another Bid For EPL Right Till 2013 by Oluti(m): 3:31am On Nov 29, 2009
Can HITV sue if we use other services to show football at our centers?
Re: HiTV Wins Another Bid For EPL Right Till 2013 by edoyad(m): 8:39am On Nov 29, 2009
@black lion, while i agree with most of what you've said, your assertion that HITV's location of It's HQ at ebute meta threw a spanner in your work. So i guess every fortune 500 company in the US is located in wall street or manhattan then. Do you know the meaning of critical mass ? Well in business the entrepreneur has the onus of deciding if his target audience will be the few high paying or many low paying public. HITV obviously have not gotten their model right as their services and even rates suggest, but your irrational statement about them being a "Raz" establishment thus their location in the midst of "Raz people" is what discredits every strong point you earlier made.
To be honest if i were a neural reading your post, that statement alone would give me the impression that HITV is actually a salvation for the average viewer in terms of cost (but ofcourse we know that's not the case) and you are nothing but a whinging, sour grape mad at how others have gotten access to what you want to remain exclusively yours. Black belly would have been more apt a name for you.
Re: HiTV Wins Another Bid For EPL Right Till 2013 by GeorgeD1(m): 10:23am On Nov 29, 2009
that doesn't remove anything from the fact that hitv management don't know jack about satellite broadcasting.
Re: HiTV Wins Another Bid For EPL Right Till 2013 by blacklion(m): 2:21pm On Nov 29, 2009
@ edoyad - contrary to what you think, I'm not advocating snobbery or exclusivity or such like. My point is simply that HITV lack a certain finesse or polish in terms of the presentation of their product, the kind of finishing touch that highlights a product as well made or presented in comparison with other similar products. Of course, I know very well that pay TV business is one that relies on a mass market rather than selective marketing to a few high networth individuals. The larger the customer base of a pay TV operator, the higher the revenue stream+profits.

But in a crowded market with so many competitor pay TV and satellite operators offering different levels of quality, your product needs to stand out for a customer to feel that he or she is getting value for their money. Subair and his partners/investors should have done their homework before rushing into pay TV business and offering a product that looks like NTA network broadcasts.

@ george d - thanks bros for re-emphasizing the key point. Well, you know we naijas; we prefer to shoot the messenger and ignore the message.
Re: HiTV Wins Another Bid For EPL Right Till 2013 by mansmith(m): 4:42pm On Nov 29, 2009
na wahho.little wonder y the standard of Nigerian league will remain so low no body wants to invest N1m in Nigerian league but for Epl they go for a biding war,make una hold wetin una hold no ya
Re: HiTV Wins Another Bid For EPL Right Till 2013 by GeorgeD1(m): 5:07pm On Nov 29, 2009
blacklion, exactly! now if only hitv will pump one quarter of this money they throw at epl every year on improving the content and quality of their bouquet, they will beat dstv hands down.
Re: HiTV Wins Another Bid For EPL Right Till 2013 by microgiant: 11:11am On Dec 05, 2009
Al Jazeera Sports Group bought the ART- Sports channels and that December -1 the official transmitting process would be effective

Now, responsible public relations, Nawaf -Tamimi, said that they will lower the price of their pay channels.

They plan to offer it as an independent platform but with the added channel of Al- Jazeera.

Currently, subscribers pay about 16 dollars for 24 channels, and the platform proposes a price below 14 dollars for those same channels from next year.
Re: HiTV Wins Another Bid For EPL Right Till 2013 by edoyad(m): 12:01pm On Dec 05, 2009
Microgiant when you say $14, is it $14 annually per channel or monthly for the whole bouquet ? Cos i know the Aljazeera network and Art sports channels and their services are grade . I just believe they'll be charging Arabs the equivalent of 2thousand plus for those fantastic channels.
Re: HiTV Wins Another Bid For EPL Right Till 2013 by GeorgeD1(m): 1:20pm On Dec 06, 2009
please enlighten him better, micro.
Re: HiTV Wins Another Bid For EPL Right Till 2013 by mreds: 5:02pm On Dec 15, 2009
Jst came across dis thread. It's bn fun reading all ur comments. Where is "urfriend"? I wanna bliv he shld b on dis thread 2 defend his luvly Hitv. Anyways, they've gone 2 tap Fox africa frm mytv and gamji(hausa tv) frm daarsat and added it 2 their bouquet. Watchout guys, u knw they've been adopting d substitutional method,now dat Fox is on, SET might b yanked off. I hope d hausa channel wont be replacing Zee cinema.
Re: HiTV Wins Another Bid For EPL Right Till 2013 by GeorgeD1(m): 8:48pm On Dec 15, 2009
no surprise really. they've always been one cunning bunch! grin
Re: HiTV Wins Another Bid For EPL Right Till 2013 by tkb417(m): 8:16am On Dec 16, 2009
HiTV's business model is a classic example of the typical  'proudly Nigerian' mentality i.e. 'me too' and 'get-rich-quick'
Subair and cohorts saw how much patronage DSTV was getting and (like typical Nigerians), they assumed that football is the magical money spinner. They borrowed money from banks and dived into pay TV business with the idea that Nigerians will overlook poor quality grainy broadcasts and lousy customer service just because we like soccer so much.  They just simply assumed that since many Nigerians are football crazy, they would make a fortune and overtake DSTV in shortest time.

What the get-rich-quick dolts at HITV did not realize is that while soccer alone will get Dad to cough out to install DSTV, it is the movies and cartoons that will make Mom and kids to prevail on Dad to keep paying every month for the premium bouquet on DSTV. DSTV is a complete entertainment package that is ideal for a family man.  You watch your sports and news while the wife and kids watch their own channels; even better if you have dual view decoder.
Right now, many homes are forced to have both DSTV and HITV just so that the wife and kids can enjoy movies and entertainment plus news and documentaries for the man while the bobo watches sports on HITV. What a redundant waste.

Meanwhile, DSTV have realized that football alone is not a do or die business. Despite losing the EPL and UCL rights, DSTV is still surviving on its movie, news, documentary and other entertainment channels and even waxing stronger. They will not collapse simply because they refused to pay exorbitant prices for EPL and UCL.

HITV has none of the features that make cable TV interesting. No programme guide. No broadcast schedule. Nothing. Zilch. Just to broadcast the sports feeds from the foreign broadcasters. They look just like NTA or LTV. Cheap and tacky. No class at all.  No wonder their head office is at Ebutte Metta instead of VI or Ikeja.  The owners of HITV are razz and that's why they feel comfortable staying among their razz people and broadcasting cheap, tacky nonsense.

Its just a matter of time before they collapse like Setanta and GTV. Hopefully, DSTV will take back the rights and I will happily dash away my nonsense HITV decoder and dish.

ignorance is bliss for u
ask questions and stop spewing fckery on what you dont know

the active TV subscriber base shows HitV has got more active base and looking at a year data , all i can see is DSTV subscriber base waning month in month out
if a CDO is issued on each of the coys cashflow (underlying asset) which would you invest in.

it can only take time for Hitv to get it right cos some of us had DSTV when they started. they were definitely worse than what HitV is presently . so where is the doom? i see boom only

if u know what a cash cow is, then all the hogwash about HiTv having a faulty biz model can only appeal to some ignoramus like ya

appeal to facts and not sentiments mr oga

edoyad:

@black lion, while i agree with most of what you've said, your assertion that HITV's location of It's HQ at ebute meta threw a spanner in your work. So i guess every fortune 500 company in the US is located in wall street or manhattan then. Do you know the meaning of critical mass ? Well in business the entrepreneur has the onus of deciding if his target audience will be the few high paying or many low paying public. HITV obviously have not gotten their model right as their services and even rates suggest, but your irrational statement about them being a "Raz" establishment thus their location in the midst of "Raz people" is what discredits every strong point you earlier made.
To be honest if i were a neural reading your post, that statement alone would give me the impression that HITV is actually a salvation for the average viewer in terms of cost (but ofcourse we know that's not the case) and you are nothing but a whinging, sour grape mad at how others have gotten access to what you want to remain exclusively yours. Black belly would have been more apt a name for you.
oh edoyad can be brilliant atimes
well written bro
Re: HiTV Wins Another Bid For EPL Right Till 2013 by GeorgeD1(m): 11:42am On Dec 16, 2009
continue yacking blah, blah friend. we'll be all here to sing the requiem when hitv finally goes under. cash cow you said? oh, very good! let them continue dumping billions on epl and raising subscriber fees to compensate for it. we'll see how this model plays out.
Re: HiTV Wins Another Bid For EPL Right Till 2013 by tkb417(m): 1:28pm On Dec 16, 2009
appeal to common sense and stop talking like a bartender
Re: HiTV Wins Another Bid For EPL Right Till 2013 by codedguy1(m): 2:30pm On Dec 16, 2009
The funny thing about all this is that some peeps here didn't have the opportunity to even smelling DSTV and hitv has afforded the the luxury of having a pay tv in the homes. Something they never dreamt of having.

If you are not satisfied with their service, drop it, let those who see something in it continue.

If they have the exclusive rights to your favourite programmes eg EPL, too bad. Atleast they did not pirate it or get it illegally, everyone knows they got the rights thru the correct means and they are doing legitimate business in the country.

They complain about the thieving politicians and also someone doing legitimate business.

i read someone complaining about the addition Fox entertainment and gamji, they are adding channels that are available to diferent genres and some are complaining.

The only thing HItv has not added is a comprehensive movie channel which would really boost their brand. I believe they are aware of it and are working towards it.

Peeps shud stop complaining. If you dont like their services, simply drop it.
Re: HiTV Wins Another Bid For EPL Right Till 2013 by GeorgeD1(m): 6:12pm On Dec 16, 2009
coded guy, have you been watching hi soccer of late? doesn't it strike you that every other hour or so hitv slots in an advert begging subscribers to go and pay their subscription? have you stopped to ask yourself why of recent this pay your money advert seems to be so pervasive on hitv? well, you don't have to look too far because 'peeps' are now getting clever and they're taking your advice of 'If you don't like their services, simply drop it' and they're droping it by the thousands! so unlike before they see the money is not rolling in and they have to beg 'peeps' to come and pay. they have even resorted to monitoring hotels and viewing centres because that is where 'peeps' now patronise.
and, i'm sorry to disappoint you but hitv don't have the rights to my favourite programme. i'm not a football freak and i will never shed a tear should epl cease to exist. btw, i watch my programs when i want and how i want independent of dstv and hitv. never again will be a slave to these suckers! smiley
Re: HiTV Wins Another Bid For EPL Right Till 2013 by vwvw(m): 8:24pm On Sep 26, 2010
wink 2013 u said
Re: HiTV Wins Another Bid For EPL Right Till 2013 by GeorgeD1(m): 9:12am On Sep 27, 2010
tell that to the marines, please! grin
Re: HiTV Wins Another Bid For EPL Right Till 2013 by frankoside: 12:38pm On Oct 04, 2010
hey guy you lover's of HITV, i believe that yo uguys watch all what came out of Hitv, and their services is poor to be candit. they are not trying @ll but they should go and bring more stuff and perfect all mistake done before so that will nigeria can support our father's LAND. since GOD said that the permission wlll be give to them to show the EPL From now to 2013, that is the way it going to be., because GOD SIGNED it.
thank frankoside smiley angry shocked cool embarassed kiss
Re: HiTV Wins Another Bid For EPL Right Till 2013 by GeorgeD1(m): 4:47pm On Oct 04, 2010
frankoside,
your sure about the god-hitv thing?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Chelsea Vs Blackburn [5 - 0] On Saturday 25th October / Liverpool Vs Basel: UCL ( 1 - 1) oN 9th December 2014 / Liverpool Vs Manchester United (1 - 1) On Saturday 15th October 2011

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.