Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,093 members, 7,818,278 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:45 AM

Dear Mr. President: I Must Speak Up Lest I Choke In Silence! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Dear Mr. President: I Must Speak Up Lest I Choke In Silence! (762 Views)

I Gave Orders As General, But As Civilian President I Receive Orders– Buhari / "Mr President, I Am Not Lazy" - Plateau Polytechnic Graduate Who Makes Snacks / Yoruba Must Speak Up And Denounce The Military Siege In SE (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dear Mr. President: I Must Speak Up Lest I Choke In Silence! by ShaddyTerese(m): 1:47pm On Dec 11, 2016
DEAR MR. PRESIDENT: I Must Speak Up Lest I choke in Silence!
Dear Mr. President,
Sports in general and football in particular are undeniably the most uniting force on earth. In fact that is to say the least.
Sir, one reoccurring scenario in our sporting industry in Nigeria headed by the Minister of Youths and Sports which to re-emphasize is a football/sporting Nation which has produced countless world stars that have written their names in Gold is the issue of owed allowances and “financial challenges” that our patriots who are willing to give their all for the glory of their mother land have go pass through every time they are participating in an event or after they return from such competitions.

Sir, it is still fresh in my mind the incidence that occurred during the Rio Olympics where Team Nigeria was stranded in Atlanta because the NFF had not paid the required bills and Mikel Obi had to pay off the bills only to be reimbursed later.

Shortly afterwards the Super falconets put up a poor display during their competition and after elimination came home. The stories that trailed the incidence didn’t sound well to listen to. Stories like the ladies played without their inner wears, were not paid match allowances and on return no allowances were paid to them. Rather they were each given the sum of N30,000 each to return home. If these girls put up their best but it turned out not to be good enough, is that the way to treat them? Are they no longer our children?

To the latest one: the victorious Super Falcons. Same issues; owed allowances. Sir, I feel the height of patriotism has been displayed by these girls and nothing should be done either by omission or commission to dampen their victorious spirit. If we don’t see any reason or hope in standing for our country then what is left of Her in the first place?

The fact that the country is currently in a recession is no news but that factor should not be exploited on wrong grounds and most especially not after the outstanding performances of these girls. If the NFF or the Presidency wishes to show commitment towards these girls, I believe that “sacrificing” their own allowances for just a week is enough to fix this mess rather than blaming it on recession. Are the NFF officials not collecting their salaries and allowances as at when due? Mr. President, is the Minister of Sports not paid as at when due? Or are the players the less important party/scape goats? Why do we always have to embarrass ourselves when it comes to offsetting the bills of our athletes and coaches when other countries that failed to achieve our feet are celebrating theirs? (The President of Cameroon hosted their ladies for coming second position).

A lot of our sport heroes have died in penury in a country they gave their all for. Coaches have died only for us to hear that their salaries were been owed for months. What has happened to the line in our National Anthem that the says “the Labors of our heroes past shall never be in vain”? why do we take pleasure in celebrating people after death rather than appreciating their efforts while they live amongst us?
Sir, it is my utmost belief that governance is a holistic process and the approach to it must be holistic too. Your efforts in other fields are commendable but I must say that if the issue of the Super Falcons is not promptly resolved with due apologies given to them along with other pending issues, the spirit of the common Nigerian who aspires such a feet will be discouraged because of what use is there is serving a country that will not recognize your efforts?

The comments attributed to the Minister of Sports have left me wondering with a lot of words I would rather keep to myself. But if change of leadership is what is needed then I trust you to do the needful because if at the end of the day, your efforts in the field of sports are counterproductive, what will be remembered is that you failed in that aspect and not your minister.
This is my solemn submission as a concerned citizen who values the holistic progress of my dear Nation above all else.
When we all pass away, we might not be remembered for who we were but what we did and it is on that basis that posterity will smile or frown at us.

In conclusion Sir, having keenly followed your campaign train, I will remind you of the words you spoke out in Chatham house in London: “if elected, I intend with your support to build a nation were hard work and dedication is rewarded, where honesty is rewarded rather than punished”. [i][/i]
You have always been a man known for having the courage to do the needful. For these girls and indeed many other Nigerians, they might not have another yardstick to judge or access your government and leadership style other than this singular incidence and may no Nigerian loss faith in Nigeria on the basis of your actions or in-actions as the President of our beloved country.
GOD BLESS NIGERIA… the land of my Birth.
Shadrach Akpem.
Terese990@gmail.com

2 Likes

Re: Dear Mr. President: I Must Speak Up Lest I Choke In Silence! by Sibrah: 1:55pm On Dec 11, 2016
The amount of tea they drinc in a single FEC meeting can be monitized to reward those girls . . . .

1 Like

Re: Dear Mr. President: I Must Speak Up Lest I Choke In Silence! by VeeVeeMyLuv(m): 2:09pm On Dec 11, 2016
Sibrah:
The amount of tea they drinc in a single FEC meeting can be monitized to reward those girls . . . .
you are absolutely correct.
Re: Dear Mr. President: I Must Speak Up Lest I Choke In Silence! by odogwubiafra: 2:14pm On Dec 11, 2016
He has been reading written speeches, and most written speeches are make-believes and not passionate statements. So quoting from any of his speeches is just reminding him of what he read and not what he said, because he was never a contributor in those speeches.

The height was when he addressed the press on his WAEC with a written speech, and all the journalists were barred from asking questions after he read the speech.

We have to deal with it now, we have the worst and least qualified president in the history of Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Dear Mr. President: I Must Speak Up Lest I Choke In Silence! by VeeVeeMyLuv(m): 2:15pm On Dec 11, 2016
op nothing will change. unless the value system from bottom to top is revamped our sport heroes and heroines are supposed to be at their mansions retired from were they occasionally give their input to sports development just like is obtained in sane countries. but instead there is squalor.
Re: Dear Mr. President: I Must Speak Up Lest I Choke In Silence! by Olusegunnaike: 3:35pm On Dec 11, 2016
I have started a GoFundMe drive to try and raise money for these heroines. We will not watch and sit idly by and let this incompetent minister destroy the only thing that unites this country. #PayOurGirls

Here's the link:

https://www.gofundme.com/paythegirls-superfalcons

Nothing is too small.

(1) (Reply)

PDP Drags Magnus To Tribunal, Says His Declaration As Senator As ‘A Grave Error / Osun Internally Displaced Pensioners Are Ingrates – Aregbesola / Let's Halt Ajimobi Feeding Frenzy.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.